Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)Info and discussion thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3913 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hm wander how long will they take to find an alternative training provider? I have done only the CompTIA Essentials book but didn't get to do my exam, and my loan is due now on the 20th feb, don't know what to do, no money no job.:confused:

Where did you get that information Mat?

As far as I understand things, Barclays are currently only looking for alternative training for those who have funded the course through Barclays Partner Finance. This is because of a clause in the BPF T&C's that states they will do so, in the event of the Supplier (Advent) going out of business.

It has been mentioned that anyone with a CDL may not be covered by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Some have said that there is also a clause in the T&C's of the CDL that states the Borrower (Student) is liable if the Supplier (Advent) goes out of business. My CDL paperwork does not have such a clause, so there could be a difference in T&C's depending on when the CDL was taken out.

As I have said before, things are getting confused because of the difference between BPF and CDL. They really do need to be discussed separately, which is why I started the other thread but not many people are using it.

Hey all.

I am in the BPF situation. I paid off my loan before the repayments started but have recently moved house and lost my paperwork so a contact number would be good if anyone has one cheers...

Also I would like to add that Advent had been pretty good with me. I had taken a couple of exams and i am now working in the IT industry after being made redundant in may 2008. I found the course materials good enough to get me through exams and the tutors on the workshop days were great. Sorry but wanted to balance things up a bit as i had quite a positive experience with the company.

I agree that we should not except alternative training from barclays as it was not what we signed for in the contract. I will be taking my BFC contract (when i receive a new copy!) to my friend who is a solicitor and will let you all know what he thinks about our chances of a refund instead of alternative training are.

On a positive note.... the age of social networking sites and consumer forums will stand us all in much better stead in this situation!

Hello there m8,

Ive called my bank Lloyds TSB and they said to me they wont help me with Visa chargeback and I should contact Visa in order to request Visa chargeback. They said that I agreed to pay by DD and they cant do anything. Bunch of w....rs and c..ts!!!. Well anyway Im sending letter to them about Visa chargeback and if they wont help I will call FO. As I posted earlier I paid with Anglo Capital back in 2008 by DD and it looks right now that only Barclays customers are in privileged position. Why??

Im gonna call VISA as well in order to explain Visa chargeback procedure in details.

BTW What bank are you with, m8?

Mate I'm with Lloyds too but I paid the full amount off. It wasn't dd. Is that what your doing?

When I spoke to them they told me to send them a letter with all relevant information and they'll see what they can do. in all honesty I think I'm screwed. Your right...they are c**ts!

Have you had any progress?

you must be one of the lucky ones stu because i am an mcdst and only two exams off mcsa and cant even get an interview but none of us are calling the tutors just the way advent has behaved and no they havent been good if your honest with yourself the two day sessions were good to meet other techies and the tutors but what we learned was nothing new to what i learned in the books and off other material used

Also to be honest the input from advent was very poor to advertise that they had an employment agency section was false it was the tutors who by the way were also the mentors during their breaks they were answering the emails etc and also they werer the employment agancy section in two years i had one phone call about a possible job and what was that a bloody charity wanted there servers servicing and kept in order and ensuring all was generaly working fine on their workstations but heres the good part no pay the cheeky buggers wanted me to do all this for twenty hours aweek for no pay and when i said and what do i do for my bills and feeding my family he said they really want someone who is unemployed to do the job because they can get it for free then so i told them this is all you can come up with in two years am sorry thats not good enough i live 15 mins from sheffield and 30 mins from york and leeds three big i t areas and not one potential job some employment agency and thats because it didnt really exist so just one of the things i and many people are ****ed off with advent for

Hi just an observation but do any of you think you may have been missold this course. I notice at the bottom of a letter from Advent they have a line of accredations Pearson Vue, Microsoft Gold Certified Partner, CompTIA, Institute of IT Training Gold Standard accredited Training Provider.

Now I did a couple searches on Microsoft partner list and Advent didn't show up neither did they on Institute of IT Training Gold Standard yet along the bottom of the letter about enrolment from Advent they are making it appear as though they have been verified by those companies.

Just a thought but if they have misled us then there is a case for everyone

Exactly.. but if they find another provider.. do we have to take it?

I just want my loan thing canceled, me and my boyfriend have been on the course for 2 month now and only received a crappy book! But we have been told we might still have to pay the 6k!!!!

you are wrong mat i am with anglo and i had a direct debit and unlike barclays customers we are not been offered anything and are also not been contacted by anyone at all ive not even been officialy told theve gone at all so you can why some of us are angry

How am I wrong exactly? I didn't mention anything about Anglo. I was talking about BPF and CDL.

you must be one of the lucky ones stu because i am an mcdst and only two exams off mcsa and cant even get an interview but none of us are calling the tutors just the way advent has behaved and no they havent been good if your honest with yourself the two day sessions were good to meet other techies and the tutors but what we learned was nothing new to what i learned in the books and off other material used

Also to be honest the input from advent was very poor to advertise that they had an employment agency section was false it was the tutors who by the way were also the mentors during their breaks they were answering the emails etc and also they werer the employment agancy section in two years i had one phone call about a possible job and what was that a bloody charity wanted there servers servicing and kept in order and ensuring all was generaly working fine on their workstations but heres the good part no pay the cheeky buggers wanted me to do all this for twenty hours aweek for no pay and when i said and what do i do for my bills and feeding my family he said they really want someone who is unemployed to do the job because they can get it for free then so i told them this is all you can come up with in two years am sorry thats not good enough i live 15 mins from sheffield and 30 mins from york and leeds three big i t areas and not one potential job some employment agency and thats because it didnt really exist so just one of the things i and many people are ****ed off with advent for

Not saying it would have been easy but maybe you should have considered the volunteer work? even a few weeks would have given you experience and looked great on a CV. I think it depends how much you want to put in or if you just want it on a plate. Anyway this isnt the forum for this discussion. best of luck to you though mate.

I'm really fearing the worst as to what barclays come up with in regards to "an alternative provider"....I spoke to BPF today and the chap said we'll look at finding you something that is "equal if not better" if not then we'll have to look into reimbursing you which is what happened to some students when another training company ceased trading last year. I'm still waiting for their letter.

They said they should have something in place before the of this month. Right, here's my qualm....I'm on the Advanced Web Designer course (and would love to hear from anyone else that is) - can Barclays really find some training company that will provide phone support, email assistance, CV and interview tips and then also a hand in getting a job. The fact that Advent promised me after the course was complete and i achieved all the qualifications that they would more or less find me a position from "our database of well known employers" according to the infamous Robin Furness. Boy he was a cunning chap wasn't he?! That swayed me to sign up in the first place...looking at it now it seemed very far away and a mirage.

If the alternative training isn't up to scratch no way in hell am i going to take it and i will fight for my money back by suing barclays! Breach of contract right?....

I'm really fearing the worst as to what barclays come up with in regards to "an alternative provider"....I spoke to BPF today and the chap said we'll look at finding you something that is "equal if not better" if not then we'll have to look into reimbursing you which is what happened to some students when another training company ceased trading last year. I'm still waiting for their letter.

They said they should have something in place before the of this month. Right, here's my qualm....I'm on the Advanced Web Designer course (and would love to hear from anyone else that is) - can Barclays really find some training company that will provide phone support, email assistance, CV and interview tips and then also a hand in getting a job. The fact that Advent promised me after the course was complete and i achieved all the qualifications that they would more or less find me a position from "our database of well known employers" according to the infamous Robin Furness. Boy he was a cunning chap wasn't he?! That swayed me to sign up in the first place...looking at it now it seemed very far away and a mirage.

If the alternative training isn't up to scratch no way in hell am i going to take it and i will fight for my money back by suing barclays! Breach of contract right?....

I've had the letter as well from Barclays PF and I am very curious to find out who they use as the "alternative training provider". After all they are just a bank and I don't expect any surprises! I hope they can prove me wrong but all I can see is that Barclays (all banks) just want our money, so will try in vain to hang onto us students and convince us all that continuing with the alternative provider will be worth it. Also will we have to start from scratch as the new training company will probably have a different way of doing things. I so hope they scout out for job applications too!

It's funny how anyone with a Barclays Career Development Loan is being told that they are not covered by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 because Barclays has nothing to do with Advent and Barclays do not approve the Learning Provider and on the other hand everyone with Barclays Partner Finance is currently waiting for Barclays to find a Learning Providor that is equal to or better than Advent!!

Explain that one Barclays.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3913 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks