• Tweets

• Few tweaks as the run order was completely messed up and the main point of your defence (reconstituted agreement) pushed to the bottom of the statement.   I, XXXXXX, being the Defendant in this case will state as follows; I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in this claim and further to my set aside application dated 1 November 2022. 1.The claimants witness statement confirms that it mostly relies on hearsay evidence as confirmed by the drafts in person in the opening paragraph. It is my understanding they must serve notice to any hearsay evidence pursuant to CPR 33.2(1)(B) (notice of intention to rely on hearsay evidence) and Section 2 (1) (A) of the Civil Evidence Act. 2.  I understand that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct or bad debts, which are bought on mass portfolios at a much reduced cost to the amount claimed and which the original creditors have already wrote off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income as confirmed in the claimants witness statement exhibit by way of the Deed of Assignment. 3. As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights.  This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information).  The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party. 4.  I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020. 5. The alleged letter of claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address.  I have attached a copy of my tenancy agreement which is marked ‘Appendix 1’ and shows I was residing at a difference address as of 11 December 2018 and was therefore not at the service address at the time the proceedings were served.  I have also attached an email from my solicitors to the Claimants solicitors dated 14 July 2022 which was sent to them requesting that they disclose the trace of evidence they utilised prior to issuing the proceedings against me.  This is marked ‘Appendix 2’. The claimants solicitors did not provide me with these documents. 6. Under The Pre-Action Protocol for Debt Claims 2017 a Debt Buyer must undertake all reasonable enquiries to ensure the correct address of a debtor, this can be as simple as a credit file search. The Claimant failed to carry out such basic checks. Subsequently all letters prior to and including ,The Pre action Protocol letter of claim dated 7 January 2020 and the claim form dated 14th February 2020 were all served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018. 7. Upon the discovery of the Judgement debt, I made immediate contact with the Court and the Claimant Solicitors, putting them on notice that I was making investigations in relation to the Judgement debt as it was not familiar to me.  I asked them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.   The correspondence to the Claimant Solicitor's is attached and marked ‘Appendix 3’ 8. On (insert date) I successfully made application to set a side the judgment. The claim proceeded to allocation, 9. The claimant failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis on the 2 February 2024 'The Claim shall be automatically struck out at 4pm on 3 April 2024 unless the Claimant delivers to the Court and to the Defendant the following documents.' None of these documents were received by the court nor the defendant by that date. (insert date you did receive the documents) I then sent a Data Subject Access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided. Details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclays are attached and marked ‘Appendix 4’and the copies of correspondence between myself and Barclays are attached and marked ‘Appendix 5’. Remove irrelevant 10.The claimant relies upon and has exhibited a reconstituted version of the alleged agreement. It is again denied that I have ever entered into an agreement with Barclaycard on or around 2000.  It is admitted that I did hold other credit agreements with other creditors and as such should this be a debt that was assigned to Barclaycard from another brand therefore the reconstituted agreement disclosed is invalid being pre April 2007 and not legally enforceable pursuant to HHJ Judge Waksman in Carey v HSBC 2009 EWHC3417.  Details of this are attached and marked ‘Appendix 6’. The original credit agreement must be provided along with any reconstituted version on a modified credit agreement and must contain the names and address of debtor and creditor, agreement number and cancelation clause. 11. Therefore the claimant is put to strict proof to disclose a true executed legible agreement on which its claim relies upon and not mislead the court. 12. It is denied I have ever received a default Notice pursuant to sec 87(1) CCA1974.The claimant is put to strict proof to evidence from the original creditors internal document software the trigger of said notice.  13.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. 14. Until such time the claimant can comply and disclose a true executed copy of the original assigned agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim they are not entitled while the default continues, to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth. Signed                 ………………………………………………….. Name                  XXXX Date                     30 April 2024   Run 3 copies Court /Claimants Sol/File
    • As one of you mentioned above I've been in a mess for nearly 20 years now and I'm ready to sort my credit report out now - the main reason I got into second round of debt is my kids being unwell and the state considering them not unwell enough for extra help so despite my son being in hospital for 3 months in one year we got extra zero help and I eventually lost my job and got into debt to just so I can be تا my sons hospital bed at his time of need - my life basically fell apart and all these debts got me again 
    • Gosh mate I've woke up this morning with half the worry I had last night when going to sleep!.  I can't believe how much this forum has helped me over the years and I don't  have the words to explain the gratitude I feel towards you guys -  Now that I've slept on it I feel ready to reject this company and my plan is to make them an offer to accept payments to date as full and final settlement - I will I think write them a letter once my review is completed or maybe just send it now whilst they are reviewing explaining my kids are unwell for which reason I'm struggling to survive and if I can politely request for them to accept payment to date as a full and final - I'll mention I don't have any cash or anyone to borrow from to offer a full or even part amount of the remaining balance of the iva and therfore am unable to make a offer of payment.   If they agree to at least even put my offer to the creditors then I feel it's better I hang in there and that way I won't have to deal with any possibilities of more defaults and ccjs    Right now the only adverse effects on my credit report are the iva that is now 3 years old and 2 Ccj one coming of this July and one thus October.    But I am worried new action will begin and new defaults and Ccj may start to appear because I've paying into an agreement im under the impression the 6 year rules starts again so yes I have lost of mixed feelings about this but I'm not going to lie you guys have put some life back into my breath this week as for the last 3 years I've felt caged like an animal and this morning I feel freer I can't explain how much but certainly my soul feel lighter today thanks to yin because I'm now viewing this review totally different to I do yesterday thanks to you guys 
    • Court name UNKNOWN Case number ********** Amount N/A Confirmed by Insolvency Service Date issued May 2021 Type Voluntary Arrangement Notes If you have questions about voluntary arrangements you should speak to the Insolvency Service.     I started this in 2021. So it's been about 3 years I've been paying. 
    • Thanks @lookinforinfo@Nicky Boyi sent across the agreement earlier in this thread. No mention of financial reward to the MA. But, I wouldn't be surprised if it was done on the sly. As I said earlier, the owner of OPS is a convicted criminal, with a very shady reputation around these parts.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Phonecall from ASDA.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5191 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I don't understand why there is disagreement here.

Facts:

1. Squirrel recieved a number of innappropriate phone calls at an inconvienient time.

2. Squirrel was distressed by this.

3. Asda have absolutely failed to handle the (legitimate!) complaint adequately.

4. Conseuqentley Squirrel remains unsatisfied and the issue remains unresolved.

Kraken your most recent posts arent really in the spirit of CAG. Rather than offer Squirrel constructive advice you seem to have chosen to bicker and be sarcastic.

If you want to try and call me at 5.30 in the morning, frankly you are welcome to do so. All you need to do is get my number from tescos or sainsburies. I use them to deliver stuff all the time. Or I will sell it to you for a reasonable sum. I think £50 seems about right. then you can call my voicemail as much as you like.

And what the hell kind off comment is this:

If it is deliberate, and he is a scary stalker, he is your problem. Not asda. They are as much a victim as you, he stole information from them and misled them.

You acknowledge that Squirrel is stressed by this then state that Asda are a victim too?! Its your problem? The whole point of CAG is that we help people solve problems - not belittle them and tell them its their problem. Madness.

Squirrel -have you put a complaint to Asda in writing yet?

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see our role is to help. give realistic advice, not tell posters what they want to hear. the problem here is an over-reaction on the part of the OP. I think the posts made infer that the OP is a little high-strung.

As for my comments, I mirror those directed at me, for eg 'You make me sick. grow a backbone, get some soul and stop being so pathetically cynical.'.

Other than that, as I've said earlier, complain and do what you want, but don't expect anything in this instance.

Our role certainly isnt to tell people they are 'over-react(ing)' or 'high strung,' just as it isnt to tell people what they want to hear.

Our role is to offer advice and potential remedies to issues posters have, and then sure advise as to their chances of success.

If I were Squirrel would I have been upset? No, as you indidcate you wouldn't be. That doesn't mean that Squirrel is over-reacting or highly strung. We dont know their personal situation. Maybe the were a victim of crime in the past? Maybe the suffer from nervousness/anxiety? Frankly its none of our bussines - just as its none of our business to make judgements and call posters 'highly strung,' or tell them the issue is 'their problem.'

Disapointed to see such an attittude from a more experienced cagger than myself.

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

start with my earlier posts. I think I spelt out my opinion, and then rather than having it just disagreed with, I was attacked and told I was wrong. I will defend my opinions when they are attacked, as opposed to disagreed with.

Correct me if im wrong but I can see no evidence of Squirrel even disagreeing with you previously - Bookworm did. I can just see hostillity towards Squirrel from you with no provocation in post 44.

In any event that will be my last word on the subject. This discussion isn't helping the OP either.

Guest Gertie100

I would just like to add the following...its simple like me...

I would be absolutely enraged if this had happened to me...

yes, my bank, utilities companies, etc etc have my phone number and know where i live but they have never rung me at ridiculous o'clock...christ my friends don't do this when they are drunk so I certainly don't expect anyone else to do it!

And yes, if Asda had simply apologied in the first place then it would be a non starter...mistake made and rectified...all happy.

If nothing else, then its down to bloody manners surely!!!!!! We really will put up with anything won't we???

You are making heavy weather of a situation, whilst unfortunate, was neither malicious or with intent to alarm or cause distress. ANY number dialled by a mobile is 'stored' and overwritten after a further 10 (or so) calls are dialled.
not all phones will erase numbers after 10 more calls, my old phone kept a call list indefinitely, of course I could manually delete numbers, but the list was there from the day the phone was bought until the day I stopped using it.

For instance why did asda not give its drivers an asda mobile, a cheapy they sell to us of the counter for about 20.00 and give one to all drivers. At the end of the day they could have retained them for data protection reasons and then kept them incase a such problem happened again, as in their phones need replacing again.

they didn't just give the drivers a £20 handset from the store because then they'd be paying the rates attached to those phones rather than a much cheaper business contract covering possibly hundreds of phones.

I switched off my phone to avoid this loser and lost a day at work because I inadvertently lost my alarm. Do you think this is ok?
I don't think that you can blame either ASDA or the driver because you missed a day of work, you switched off your phone. I appreciate the reason why, but the end effect isn't ASDAs fault

But I have, the Data Protection Act to be specific.

The Data Protection Act 1998 establishes the following 8 principles in relation to the processing (ie management) of personal data

1. Personal data should be processed fairly and lawfully.
  2. Data should only be obtained for specified purposes and should not be further processed in a manner incompatible with these purposes.
  3. Personal data should be adequate relevant and not excessive in relation to the purposes for which they were collected.
  4. Personal data should be accurate and where necessary kept up to date.
  5. Personal data should not be kept longer than is needed for its intended purpose.
  6. Personal data should be processed in accordance with the rights of the individual which the information concerns.
  7. Appropriate measures should be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing or destruction of personal data.
  8. Personal data should not be transferred outside the European Economic Area (the EU states plus Liechtenstein, Iceland and Norway).

(my bold)

To add to that, the data controller has a duty that the data is kept safe and not disseminated. Having a driver storing a number on his private phone is anything but,

I've added a further emphasis to the act, Processed, data stored as an un-indexed list on a call record isn't processed as it doesn't link the number to an individual.

also ASDA have to disseminate the information to the driver so that the driver can call you when they get to our house and you don't hear the door.

I doubt that a mobile telephone number alone would be classed as personal data. I think there are also issues with your definition of 'storage'.

If a name was stored with the number it would be personal data, and stored means stored by any means, (though I believe the act only covers sorted data). so a pile of papers that are unsorted or indexed isn't data, a pile of papers sorted into sections of customers etc is data.

if the number was stored in a phone book on the phone a name or address would probably have been attached to that number, and then it's personal data that's being stored (and the act is relevant).

a list of last called numbers, that are of no relevance or meaningful information is just a list of numbers, not data.

basically what I'm trying to say is this:

Ive read it and can't find anything in there about phone numbers, but the google search summary reads:

8 The term 'personal data' undoubtedly covers the name of a person in conjunction with his telephone number or information about his working conditions or ...

extended the bold there

they have not even confirmed that this man is crb checked, which leads me to believe he is not. So dont talk to me about intent. you know nothing about their driver and neither do i, but i have to go to sleep at night knowing that he knows where i live and my phone number.

why would anyone CRB check a delivery driver?

and o be fair you gave the company your name address and phone number knowing that a stranger would deliver it. you can't complain that the driver isn't CRB checked, especially when they don't do a job that would require being CRB checked.

Tesco have procedures in place to protect their customers from this sort of rubbish.

no they don't, if the driver is dialling a number, be it on a work or personal phone they still have that number, and could copy it to their own phone.

there is no procedure in place at all.

it's just that ASDA's policy on this instance of asking drivers to use their own phones opened an avenue for this inconvenience to yourself.

Do you really think a matter is only worth pursuing if there is financial gain?
So many times I've seen people on this forum say this has happened, what's it worth? so I applaud you for just wanting to make a tiny bit of the world just a tiny bit better :)

As it is, I doubt that the data protection act has been broken, I doubt that the spirit of the act has even been broken. (though I work in IT, not law, -so my advice may not be worth the paper it isn't even written on).

but even so an apology might have been nice, not to have been called a liar at every opportunity.

Fred West had a driving licence! probably the only qualification required to become an Asda delivery driver. Do whatever yo have to do to make your point, this is a very sick world and no-one can be trusted, particularly if they 'accidentally' phone you 3 times at 5.30am.

The poster wants advice not opinions.

I thought the above was a reasonable summary of the issues and competent advice.

the yorkshire ripper was a lorry driver as well. And ian huntly was crb checked. Still, the most likely person attack you is a friend of family. Stranger danger is a comparatively small risk. Statistically you are more at risk from your partner...

The poster wants advice not opinions.

ok,

As it is, I doubt that the data protection act has been broken, I doubt that the spirit of the act has even been broken. (though I work in IT, not law, -so my advice may not be worth the paper it isn't even written on).

the only way that the act could have been broken is if the driver stored the number in the phone with a name attached.

that's both unlikely and probably impossible to prove now.

but even so an apology might have been nice, not to have been called a liar at every opportunity.

an apology would be nice, but the store don't have to, there is no law to make a company apologise when they've been rude.

I still think that the cause is just, if only because ASDA are showing such a lapse attitude towards the whole ordeal, and really should adjust this.

I thought the above was a reasonable summary of the issues and competent advice.

the yorkshire ripper was a lorry driver as well. And ian huntly was crb checked. Still, the most likely person attack you is a friend of family. Stranger danger is a comparatively small risk. Statistically you are more at risk from your partner...

You should be writing messages for Valentines cards!