• Tweets

• S13 (2)The creditor may not exercise the right under paragraph 4 to recover from the keeper any unpaid parking charges specified in the notice to keeper if, within the period of 28 days beginning with the day after that on which that notice was given, the creditor is given— (a)a statement signed by or on behalf of the vehicle-hire firm to the effect that at the material time the vehicle was hired to a named person under a hire agreement; (b)a copy of the hire agreement; and (c)a copy of a statement of liability signed by the hirer under that hire agreement. As  Arval has complied with the above they cannot be pursued by EC----- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- S14 [1]   the creditor may recover those charges (so far as they remain unpaid) from the hirer. (2)The conditions are that— (a)the creditor has within the relevant period given the hirer a notice in accordance with sub-paragraph (5) (a “notice to hirer”), together with a copy of the documents mentioned in paragraph 13(2) and the notice to keeper; (b)a period of 21 days beginning with the day on which the notice to hirer was given has elapsed;  As ECP did not send copies of the documents to your company and they have given 28 days instead of 21 days they have failed to comply with  the Act so you and your Company are absolved from paying. That is not to say that they won't continue asking to be paid as they do not have the faintest idea how PoFA works. 
    • Euro have got a lot wrong and have failed to comply with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4.  According to Section 13 after ECP have written to Arval they should then send a NTH to the Hirer  which they have done.This eliminates Arval from any further pursuit by ECP. When they wrote to your company they should have sent copies of everything that they asked Arval for. This is to prove that your company agree what happened on the day of the breach. If ECP then comply with the Act they are allowed to pursue the hirer. If they fail, to comply they cannot make the hirer pay. They can pursue until they are blue in the face but the Hirer is not lawfully required to pay them and if it went to Court ECP would lose. Your company could say who was driving but the only person that can be pursued is the Hirer, there does not appear to be an extension for a driver to be pursued. Even if there was, because ECP have failed miserably to comply with the Act  they still have no chance of winning in Court. Here are the relevant Hire sections from the Act below.
    • Thank-you FTMDave for your feedback. May I take this opportunity to say that after reading numerous threads to which you are a contributor, I have great admiration for you. You really do go above and beyond in your efforts to help other people. The time you put in to help, in particular with witness statements is incredible. I am also impressed by the way in which you will defer to others with more experience should there be a particular point that you are not 100% clear on and return with answers or advice that you have sought. I wish I had the ability to help others as you do. There is another forum expert that I must also thank for his time and patience answering my questions and allowing me to come to a “penny drops” moment on one particular issue. I believe he has helped me immensely to understand and to strengthen my own case. I shall not mention who it is here at the moment just in case he would rather I didn't but I greatly appreciate the time he took working through that issue with me. I spent 20+ years of working in an industry that rules and regulations had to be strictly adhered to, indeed, exams had to be taken in order that one had to become qualified in those rules and regulations in order to carry out the duties of the post. In a way, such things as PoFA 2012 are rules and regulations that are not completely alien to me. It has been very enjoyable for me to learn these regulations and the law surrounding them. I wish I had found this forum years ago. I admit that perhaps I had been too keen to express my opinions given that I am still in the learning process. After a suitable period in this industry I became Qualified to teach the rules and regulations and I always said to those I taught that there is no such thing as a stupid question. If opinions, theories and observations are put forward, discussion can take place and as long as the result is that the student is able to clearly see where they went wrong and got to that moment where the penny drops then that is a valuable learning experience. No matter how experienced one is, there is always something to learn and if I did not know the answer to a question, I would say, I don't know the answer to that question but I will go and find out what the answer is. In any posts I have made, I have stated, “unless I am wrong” or “as far as I can see” awaiting a response telling me what I got wrong, if it was wrong. If I am wrong I am only too happy to admit it and take it as a valuable learning experience. I take the point that perhaps I should not post on other peoples threads and I shall refrain from doing so going forward. 🤐 As alluded to, circumstances can change, FTMDave made the following point that it had been boasted that no Caggers, over two years, who had sent a PPC the wrong registration snotty letter, had even been taken to court, let alone lost a court hearing .... but now they have. I too used the word "seemed" because it is true, we haven't had all the details. After perusing this forum I believe certain advice changed here after the Beavis case, I could be wrong but that is what I seem to remember reading. Could it be that after winning the above case in question, a claimant could refer back to this case and claim that a defendant had not made use of the appeal process, therefore allowing the claimant to win? Again, in this instance only, I do not know what is to be gained by not making an appeal or concealing the identity of the driver, especially if it is later admitted that the defendant was the driver and was the one to input the incorrect VRN in error. So far no one has educated me as to the reason why. But, of course, when making an appeal, it should be worded carefully so that an error in the appeal process cannot be referred back to. I thought long and hard about whether or not to post here but I wanted to bring up this point for discussion. Yes, I admit I have limited knowledge, but does that mean I should have kept silent? After I posted that I moved away from this forum slightly to find other avenues to increase my knowledge. I bought a law book and am now following certain lawyers on Youtube in the hope of arming myself with enough ammunition to use in my own case. In one video titled “7 Reasons You Will LOSE Your Court Case (and how to avoid them)” by Black Belt Barrister I believe he makes my point by saying the following, and I quote: “If you ignore the complaint in the first instance and it does eventually end up in court then it's going to look bad that you didn't co-operate in the first place. The court is not going to look kindly on you simply ignoring the company and not, let's say, availing yourself of any kind of appeal opportunities, particularly if we are talking about parking charge notices and things like that.” This point makes me think that, it is not such a bizarre judgement in the end. Only in the case of having proof of payment and inputting an incorrect VRN .... could it be worthwhile making a carefully worded appeal in the first instance? .... If the appeal fails, depending on the reason, surely this could only help if it went to court? As always, any feedback gratefully received.
    • To which official body does one make a formal complaint about a LPA fixed charge receiver? Does one make a complaint first to the company employing the appointed individuals?    Or can one complain immediately to an official body, such as nara?    I've tried researching but there doesn't seem a very clear route on how to legally hold them to account for wrongful behaviour.  It seems frustratingly complicated because they are considered to be officers of the court and held in high esteem - and the borrower is deemed liable for their actions.  Yet what does the borrower do when disclosure shows clear evidence of wrong-doing? Does anyone have any pointers please?
    • Steam is still needed in many industries, but much of it is still made with fossil fuels.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Welcome - illegal repo in contravention of section 92 and unfair relationship ** WON **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4285 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi DofH, does that also apply to the witness statements submitted by legal managers of car finance companies?

:?:

Is this in documents submitted to a court?

If not no - but if they are misrepresenting the facts - depending on the circumstances - it can be anything from a cock up to fraud.

Edited by dadofholly

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

After all these years spent fighting against them I'm phased very little by their tricks and games, in fact I expect nothing less from them. This last effort is especially despicable though, let's hope it doesn't end up backfiring on them eh?? :!:

Backfired! :whoo:

Not long now folks and this whole crazy story will be all over :-D

Backfired! :whoo:

Not long now folks and this whole crazy story will be all over :-D

Are you going to keep us in suspenders until 'it's all over'?

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi wbdf

I used to be a regular on CAG but in starting a new business didn't really have enough time and had to give up my CAG addiction ;) I remember this case when it first started and boy oh boy do you have the patience of a saint.

Firstly I just wanted to say congratulations it been a hard won fight and thankfully you stuck to your guns.

I can't say to much in open forum however you are not the first person to deal with the delightful Mr P and his squirmy answers in court nor is this the first time he has had to answers questions on this subject in court.

I cannot say more than that (which I think speaks for itself) but I had a very ill baby at the time all of my welcome dramas occured and therefore could not pursue it as I wOuld have liked - the opportunity to be made whole and not have to spend years on it was just too much to turn down.

But the biggest WHOOP WHOOP to you

Are you going to keep us in suspenders until 'it's all over'?

Well I don't suppose there's any real reason now why I can't say...

The trial window is set for 7th May to 24th May and there will be an interlocutory hearing next week to decide one or two outstanding issues :razz:

We received directions back in Feb with regard to the final hearing, a DJ had reviewed the case and decided that all that was required to go forward with was a very brief general round up of the issues and listing questionnaires; no court bundles or further evidence or any of that nonsense. The other side dragged their heels, failed to co-operate and ended up being late filing. When I did eventually receive their LQ I noticed that they had ticked the box for additional directions required and applications attached, but they hadn't attached anything to the copy they sent me! :-x

Anyway, it then transpired that they had made an application to court to get the case transferred to Mercantile court and allocated to Mulit-track. I believe that they had deliberately tried to sneak this past me, and they didn't exactly fall over themselves to deny it shall we say! It appears they were attempting to get the case heard by a different High Court judge and had included as their supporting 'evidence' that the outstanding issues to be decided were those of agency relationships and fiduciary relationships. No bloody wonder they wanted to sneak it past me! The issues of agency relationships and fiduciary relationships had already been dealt with at the appeal and the only remaining issue left to decide on is Unfair Relationship; as was decided at the case management conference back in September last year :mad2:

Generally speaking, (in my opinion), they have never been able to stomach the fact that they lost at High Court to an LiP and effectually tried to get a second High Court Judge to overturn the judgment!

Back to today....directions received from court. Application for transfer to Mercantile Court dismissed without a hearing, (they had requested a hearing to decide whether the case should be transferred). The case management is to remain with County Court :oops:

There's so much more to the story, I could literally go on for ages!

I made an application of my own not so long ago, a Part 18 request to clarify the exact details of the payment and receipt of secret commission. They failed to reply and so I had to apply to the court to enforce compliance. They then sent me some cobbled together nonsense which made no sense at all and labelled it a response! I told them it was limited, unsatisfactory and contradictory but they just ignored me. The court have also today decided that my application to enforce compliance under part 18 should be heard :oops:

I have no reason not to attend, as far as I'm concerned they haven't fully complied with my request and I am quite content to let a judge decide what needs to be disclosed and what doesn't :madgrin:

Hi wbdf

I used to be a regular on CAG but in starting a new business didn't really have enough time and had to give up my CAG addiction ;) I remember this case when it first started and boy oh boy do you have the patience of a saint.

Firstly I just wanted to say congratulations it been a hard won fight and thankfully you stuck to your guns.

I can't say to much in open forum however you are not the first person to deal with the delightful Mr P and his squirmy answers in court nor is this the first time he has had to answers questions on this subject in court.

I cannot say more than that (which I think speaks for itself) but I had a very ill baby at the time all of my welcome dramas occured and therefore could not pursue it as I wOuld have liked - the opportunity to be made whole and not have to spend years on it was just too much to turn down.

But the biggest WHOOP WHOOP to you

Andie it's so good to hear from you, you were always an inspiration to us :-) I honestly don't blame you at all for settling, I can tell you that this case has damn near killed me at times! It has engulfed my life for the last 2 and a half years and deprived me of times I can never get back.

The ironic thing is that I would've been happy to walk away after the appeal, I considered that my victory and I needed nothing else, but the other side were too contemptuous to agree. Well that was a one time offer and they threw it back in my face, they know they are wrong, they know they broke the law, they know they still have so much to hide but still they refuse to show remorse or an ounce of decency or integrity.

It's mainly their arrogance that spurs me to go on, he still deliberately addresses me in lower case letters just to show his disdain for me! Needless to say I return the courtesy :razz: Today he asked me to withdraw my Part 18 app. but after he addressed me in lower case I felt ill-inclined to assist him! :-x

What the Hell I've come this far I might as well see it through to the end :oops:

As for Mr P, I haven't heard hide nor hair of him since the trial! He didn't even show up for the appeal! I'm fairly sure I've got the measure of him; another keyboard warrior that has plenty to say on paper...

Oh well, 2 more hearings to go and I can put this behind me, although I will always be on hand to assist anybody that finds themselves in a similar situation and I suspect that is welcome's biggest worry.....:!:

That is ABSOLUTELY their worry and something that I can't do - that was one of the main reasons for removing myself from CAG for so long as I couldn't bear to see things that I would like to advise or respond too but am not allowed .

But at the end of the day I was right and its been 2.5 years since I've been welcome free there's absolutely no trace of them for me and my sons hospital got a nice donation out of it so good can come from crap ;) x

That is ABSOLUTELY their worry and something that I can't do - that was one of the main reasons for removing myself from CAG for so long as I couldn't bear to see things that I would like to advise or respond too but am not allowed .

But at the end of the day I was right and its been 2.5 years since I've been welcome free there's absolutely no trace of them for me and my sons hospital got a nice donation out of it so good can come from crap ;) x

I'm so genuinely pleased for you x

You did what was right for you and your family and we mustn't forget that that is more important than anything else. Being welcome free is only something I can dream of at the mo! :madgrin:

I honestly believe you have helped a lot more people than you think, when welcome offered what they did to you it was clearly because you were on to something that they didn't want made public, in my book that's a win! Just shows that if you make a stand against their dodgy antics you can succeed, you just need to be a bit brave :-)

Hi Andie - and great to see you here again.

I learnt something recentley after being in court myself concerning so called confidentiality clauses. (Comes under the Human rights Act - and was mentioned by the judge in the case).

Can i just ask you if your case reached court - or was settled out of court?

• 2 weeks later...
looking forward to hear final result of this,as i also have commission complaint with them.good luck

Now therein lies the problem - for them that is! I strongly suspect they have only taken this case so far to try and make an example of me to anybody else wanting to make a commission claim. I bet they're regretting that decision right now, if only they picked on someone less stubborn eh??! :-)

Not long now....

Hope all goes well this week wannabe. This whole sorry story will soon be totally over.

Hello! I think this weeks antics have been delayed a little, I spoke to court this morning and they have said an order is currently being raised and I should soon receive notification of directions on what the judge has decided to do with it.

If you remember the other side failed to co-operate with me when we were to file our case summaries, schedules of issues and LQs and so I filed my own without them. They eventually got round to filing their own stuff, late as usual, and it turned out to be different to what I had put forward. The court will now have decided which proposal to go with or whether to make an order of its own initiative, I've just got to wait a few more days for it to be written up and sent out.

Also we had a little hearing a couple of weeks back to hear my application on my Part 18 request, turns out their response was inadequate as their legal team had failed to sign it or verify it with a statement of truth as is outlined in Part 18 subsections 2.1 & 3. The judge had no option then but to make an order against them :-D

I don't know what he was more bothered about - the fact that I had said it or the fact that I knew it!

Hello! I think this weeks antics have been delayed a little, I spoke to court this morning and they have said an order is currently being raised and I should soon receive notification of directions on what the judge has decided to do with it.

If you remember the other side failed to co-operate with me when we were to file our case summaries, schedules of issues and LQs and so I filed my own without them. They eventually got round to filing their own stuff, late as usual, and it turned out to be different to what I had put forward. The court will now have decided which proposal to go with or whether to make an order of its own initiative, I've just got to wait a few more days for it to be written up and sent out.

Also we had a little hearing a couple of weeks back to hear my application on my Part 18 request, turns out their response was inadequate as their legal team had failed to sign it or verify it with a statement of truth as is outlined in Part 18 subsections 2.1 & 3. The judge had no option then but to make an order against them :-D

I don't know what he was more bothered about - the fact that I had said it or the fact that I knew it!

:lol: love it

Don't panic, this thread looks set to continue for a little while longer yet :razz:

Does anybody know where my mate dbabylon went?? Looks like all his previous posts have been removed and any further input is not welcome-d....

Hmmm.... bye then, I'll miss our little chats :pout:

Anyway back to the order of the day; which came in the post from court this morning :-)

It is ordered that we attend a CMC on 29th May, time estimate 30 mins.

I think the last trial window has gone out the window!

I'm so pleased :eyebrows:

Another CMC, the last one was so much fun I can't wait to go back and do exactly the same thing all over again! Doh...hang on a minute... isn't that called wasting the court's time???! If only welcome could stick to one story, eh?

It was already decided at the last CMC way back in September that the issues to form the basis of the rehearing are whether the defendant paid a secret commission and whether the relationship was unfair. But then the defendant submitted a completely different set of issues to the court in February that haven't been agreed by anybody at all and contradict what was decided before! Why am I not surprised??

Looking forward to this one :lol:

The best thing is that with a little time extension the other side have got plenty of time to respond to my 2nd Part 18 request and I'll have enough time to ensure they do :razz:

It shouldn't take them too long to reply really, they only have to tell me which of their 2 latest versions of events is the truth and which one is the lie..

I'll be damned if I'm going to fall for that old trick again :-x Their written defence denied all knowledge of any commission but then come the trial day they decide to act as if they hadn't even written that defence! The "new" defence was full of all sorts of different numbers and percentages that they've never mentioned before, never mind they had no evidence or that it contradicted the evidence already present :mad2:

No chance this time...they are going to tell me exactly what they will be relying on at trial and I am going to hold them to that like you wouldn't believe!!

The filthy, dirty, underhand lawyer tricks are not going to wash with me any more.

Let's hope they have realised that their lies are causing them more trouble than it's worth and they just decide to be honest and tell the truth this time :flypig:

• Confused 1

Has this not technicaly gone to trial once already - and they still keep changing their version?

Maybe time to look at a possible strike out application - as they are clearly wasting the Courts, and your time, and are clerly clutching at straws by continuing to try something that works - rather than provide a true reflection of events.

Edited by dadofholly

I know a good Barrister who has the measure of Welcome and was going to call Palmer as a witness, in a case i know of very well - but the opposition discontinued and paid nealry £2K of costs rather than allow him to be called.

Also have evidence of what you can descirbe as a conspiracey to pervert the course of justice, files being drawn up, OFT informed and interested and Police next in line.

The Barrister may well work on a CFA basis.

Would report your case to the Office of Fair Trading - have contact details if you would like them.

Oh and if there brief is stating evidence that he knows cannot be true - report him to the SRA.

Wow, there's a lot to think about!

Sometimes I genuinely don't know what to do for the best, all I ever wanted was to see was some justice.

As much as they deserve a strike out I can't help but feel it would be exactly what they are hoping for; a quick exit with no judgment and no blame and no answers. I think after everything they've put me through I owe it to myself at least to see it through to the end.

Please don't give up by letting them have a strike out! I've watched you thread from the start and think you are a true "warrior of justice" you have do so so well, you've got my full respect!

• 3 weeks later...

You go after them girl....never again will you fell this empowered.Its a long hard road but you get there in the end..I had litigation in the queens bench that took 9 years to complete..i won out of court for what i wanted.Good luck and remember you are right....