New benefits rules??

petethemanc
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5237 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Im asking on behalf of my girlfriend. Now she has teo children aged 6 and 7. And she was called in for an interview today, from what my gf tells me the system is going to change as new laws are brought in. She said that she was told she must have either a full time college course or emplyment in 6 months, and that she will no longer receive income support after 6 months and that she will receive jsa. Also she was told that if she wished to go the college route then this would only be funded by them if she enrolled before the 6 months is up. And if she didt then they would not fund any further education and that she would be on ehr own. Now, sometimes my gf does not take in everything that is said to her which is why i am here. I work full time and do not know the system at all, but she is due to move and i said i would provide the bond and 2 months rent etc. But does this mean she will receive no income and that her rent will also not be paid via benefits? this has me worried as i help her as much as i can but if this is the case then i dont know where i would find the extra income to help ehr and the kids. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

From 25 October 2010, if her youngest child is aged seven or over, or will be seven in the next year, her Income Support may stop during that year if she is only claiming it because she is a lone parent

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

from 25 October 2010, if your youngest child is aged seven or over, or will be seven in the next year, your Income Support may stop during that year if you are only claiming it because you are a lone parent

What happens when your Income Support stops

Jobcentre Plus will contact you eight weeks before your Income Support is due to stop to tell you when your last payment is due. Jobcentre Plus will also invite you to an interview with an adviser, who will explain what you need to do to make a claim for another benefit if you have not found paid work.

It is very important that you attend this interview so that you continue to receive the right benefits and financial support if you need it.

Changes to Income Support for lone parents : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits