• Tweets

• Even a Piers Morgan is an improvement and a gutless Farage Piers Morgan calls for second Brexit referendum WWW.THELONDONECONOMIC.COM Piers Morgan and Nigel Farage have faced off over Brexit and a second referendum in a heated reunion on BBC Question Time.   “Why don’t we have another referendum about Brexit?” he questioned. “I seem to remember when 2016 came around we were told there was going to be control of our borders and it was going to be economically beneficial to this country. And eight years later we have lost complete control of our borders… and economically it seems to have been a wilful act of self-harm.”   ... Piers missed off : after all somebody said a 48/52 decision would be "unfinished business" by a long way - was that person just bul lying (again)  
    • when did they (who) inform you there was a 'police case' and when was this attained? i will guess the debt is now SB'd as it's UAE 15yrs. have you informed the bsnk ever by email/letter of your correct and current address? you can always ignore anyone else accept the bank,  Block and bounce back all emails. Block any text messages  Ignore any letters unless it's: - a Statutory Demand - a Letter Of Claim - a Court Claimform via Northants bulk.  
    • I left Dubai 8 years ago and intended to return. However a job prospect fell through. I’d been there for 15 years. I decided to pay my credit card and the bank had frozen my account. There is no means to pay the CC so completely unable to pay when I wanted to other than the bank advising me to ask a friend in the UAE to pay it on my behalf!  fast forward bank informs there is a police case against me for non payment. Years later IDR chased me and after months/ years they stopped. Now Judge & Priestley are trying their luck. Now I have received an email in English and Arabic from JP saying the bank has authorised them to collect debts. Is this the same as IDR although I didn’t receive anything like this from them. Just says they are authorised?
    • The neighbour's house is built right on the boundary so the side of their house is effectively the 'wall' in our garden separating the two properties. It's a three storey house and so the mortar poses a potential danger to us. Because of the danger, we have put up an interior fence in our garden to ensure we don't risk mortar dropping on us. That reduces the garden by 25% which is not only an inconvenience, but it's the part of the garden where we had lined up contractors to install a patio and gazebo which we will use for our wedding reception in less than 2 months. We have spoken to the neighbour's caretaker who is on the case, has spoken with a roofer and possibly a scaffolding company, but there are several issues. They don't seem to understand the urgency. As long as there is a risk of falling mortar, we can't carry out any work in the garden, and unless they hurry up, we're looking at cancelling our wedding as it's not viable to book a venue because we can't use our own garden! Also, they want to put the scaffolding up in our garden which would be ok with us if it was a matter of a few days and they hurried up, but there is a tree (most likely protected by the conservation area), so most likely they can only reach part of the roof with the scaffolding if they put it up in our garden. We suggested a roofer with a cherry picker but they seem to want to use a company they've used before. Any and all comments, suggestions, advice is more than welcome.  PS. does it make any difference that the neighbour is a business (ltd) and not a private dwelling?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Novation?? Any one heard of it?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5251 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Received an email from an outfit who go under the name of secretloophole (I am not going to post links as I have no wish to promote what might be a duff product)..My understanding is they use a 'loophole' by sending a token payment to the admin dept. of a creditor which if banked absolves the debtor from any further payment?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Credit Card Debt? Cancel It!"

Any number of cards.... any amount of personal debt!

Please note that this debt elimination system (DES) has nothing to do with the Compensation Act 2006 as we do not provide financial advise or a claims management service regarding reclaiming bank, credit card charges or claims regarding unenforceable credit agreements. Our program uses a powerful legal litigation technique called Novation. For a full explanation please visit: Novation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia If link does not work just copy and paste into your web browser.

We do not give legal advice however we supply the information in down loadable ebook format via email to include the knowledge, philosophies and template letters necessary to cancel out your credit card balances on all credit cards or personal loans.

Legally Eliminate Credit Card Debt or Personal Loans

If you fit in any of the following categories the program is designed for you:

* You cannot afford paying your credit card bills.

* You have no incentive for paying your credit card bills.

* You can tolerate negative entries on your credit report for as much as a year.

* You would like another chance, but do not like the idea of filing for bankruptcy just because of credit card debt.

We do not recommend people attempt termination of credit card debt without competent assistance. Banks and credit card companies have very clever officers and lawyers and can instantly recognize when you do not fully understand what you are doing. In such case you can be easily defeated. However, we can assure you that we offer the finest quality information.

Our program enables each individual to finally take control of their financial life and stop drowning in credit card debt without the need for bankruptcy.

STOP making debt payments immediately [/b]

I will admit that, having read the Wiki entry, I have no idea how this company might apply this tactic, but it sounds extremely unlikely to work.

I would use the general rule that if it sounds too good to be true ....

No doubt someone with a better understanding of this particular process will comment. The fact that I've never come across it before despite long membership and extensive reading of this forum would suggest that it's not really a viable option.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

The criteria for novation comprise the obligee's acceptance of the new obligor, the new obligor's acceptance of the liability, and the old obligor's acceptance of the new contract as full performance of the old contract.

Therein lies the problem.

Can you honestly see any bank agreeing to the transfer of your contractual obligations to a third party who presumably for the purposes of profitability has no intention of repaying the debt?

As of 03/03/12 please do not under any circumstances wait for my further input or guidance on any current thread or defence of a court claim I might have been involved in on or through Cag.

Jasper1965

It's applicable in U.S Law. It has no real tested standing in the UK I'm afraid

In anycase I agree, it wouldn't work.

I am a lawyer, but I am an academic lawyer. I do not practice as a barrister or solicitor. You should consult a practising Solicitor BEFORE taking any Court or other action

Looks too good to be true. I wouldn't trust that information as far as I could throw the person who came up with it.

I am rarely around these parts any more. I only stop by when something has come to my attention that has sufficiently annoyed me so as to persuade me to awake from my nap and put in my two pence.

I am a final year law student; I am NOT an expert in law. All of my posts are just my opinion. I cannot be held responsible for any outcome whatsoever resulting from any person following the opinions or information contained within my posts. Always seek professional legal advice from a qualified lawyer.

It's applicable in U.S Law. It has no real tested standing in the UK I'm afraid

In anycase I agree, it wouldn't work.

I was thinking that.... I'm studying contract law at degree level at the moment and I can't see any reference to novation in any of my text books!! Now I know why ;)

Cheers.

UF

I am rarely around these parts any more. I only stop by when something has come to my attention that has sufficiently annoyed me so as to persuade me to awake from my nap and put in my two pence.

I am a final year law student; I am NOT an expert in law. All of my posts are just my opinion. I cannot be held responsible for any outcome whatsoever resulting from any person following the opinions or information contained within my posts. Always seek professional legal advice from a qualified lawyer.

The criteria for novation comprise the obligee's acceptance of the new obligor, the new obligor's acceptance of the liability, and the old obligor's acceptance of the new contract as full performance of the old contract.

Therein lies the problem.

Can you honestly see any bank agreeing to the transfer of your contractual obligations to a third party who presumably for the purposes of profitability has no intention of repaying the debt?

This is something that Basil & Amanda Rankine use to con people into using them so I wouldn't touch it with an extreeeeemly long bargepole :rolleyes:

I was thinking that.... I'm studying contract law at degree level at the moment and I can't see any reference to novation in any of my text books!! Now I know why ;)

Cheers.

UF

Hmm interesting... novation is something used in service contracts all the time, we have contracts at work with third parties whilst were working on behalf of another company, at the end of our project we novate the third party contracts direct to the other company with everyone's mutual consent... all under english law as I understand it.

S.

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Hmm interesting... novation is something used in service contracts all the time, we have contracts at work with third parties whilst were working on behalf of another company, at the end of our project we novate the third party contracts direct to the other company with everyone's mutual consent... all under english law as I understand it.

S.

Yes, novation is a concept used, I think, mainly in construction. However, the concept being used or applied to debts and credit agreements has not been tested. In fact almost all credit agreements prohibit the debtor from assigning the contract to a 3rd party, so that wouold kill it stone dead as far as I can see

I am a lawyer, but I am an academic lawyer. I do not practice as a barrister or solicitor. You should consult a practising Solicitor BEFORE taking any Court or other action

Yes, novation is a concept used, I think, mainly in construction. However, the concept being used or applied to debts and credit agreements has not been tested. In fact almost all credit agreements prohibit the debtor from assigning the contract to a 3rd party, so that wouold kill it stone dead as far as I can see

Absolutely, I would warn anybody away from this forthwith, its doomed to fail. Just pointing it out it has legal basis in this country.

S.

S.

Hmmm.... when I go back next week, I'll speak to my lecturer.... I'm only in the first year so maybe it's something we learn about later on. As has been said, this is surely doomed to fail in the context of debts etc.

But still something I would be interested to learn about.

Assigning A Debt Or Benefit Of Contract?

It is important to first provide the debtor with a notice of the assignment!

Other points and issues that should be borne in mind:

· In principle, the benefit of a contract can be legally assigned without consent,

provided there is no express prohibition on assignment or, for example, a requirement that consent

is obtained.

· Where there is no restriction on assignment, the usual way of assigning the benefit of

contractual rights is by statutory assignment. The assignment must be in writing, signed by the

assignor, absolute (not purporting to be by way of charge only) and notice in writing must be

given to the other contracting party (section 136, Law of Property Act 1925).

· If a contract is not effectively assigned under statute, it may still be assigned under

common law by an equitable assignment. An equitable assignment may exist where the requirements

for a statutory assignment are not satisfied. The main practical consequence of an equitable

assignment is that the assignee cannot bring an action in its own name against the third party,

but must fall back on the rules governing equitable assignments and join the assignor as a party

to the action.

It is, in any event, desirable for notice of an assignment to be given to the third party because

the third party will otherwise be entitled to continue to make payments to the assignor. Notice

will give the assignee priority over any other assignee that has failed to give notice, provided

there is no knowledge of such prior assignment.

· The burden of a contract cannot be assigned. It is therefore necessary to novate, rather

than assign, certain contracts. Novation is, in effect, the rescission of one contract and the

substitution of a new contract in which the same acts are to be performed but by different parties.

· The burden of a contract cannot be assigned. It is therefore necessary to novate, rather

than assign, certain contracts. Novation is, in effect, the rescission of one contract and the

substitution of a new contract in which the same acts are to be performed but by different parties.

Exactement

although a burden can be assigned, if such a benefit, which is the point of the assignment, is contingent on that burden. For eg use of a road can be contingent on paying for its upkeep.

Novation is a fairly standard english law thing, but not necessarily something that comes up at undergraduate level. it is hard enough drilling offer and acceptance, breach, and a handful of cases into drink and hormone addled minds....

Add in the postal rules and then stuff goes 'pop' and someone in the third row will doze off...

Mrs Carlill was worried about the flu so purchased.... sigh....