Staff hitting children at Nursery?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5249 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yesterday my daughter shocked my wife and me by telling us that one of the staff at her nursery had smacked her bum and gave her time out.

This was in response to my daughter smacking another child who bit her.

This is the first time we'd heard of the incident, so we asked her several times, even trying to gently coerce her into admitting she was joking. However she is admanant that she is telling the truth.

My question is, how do we approach the nursery without fear of any future payback on my daughter? I assume it's not in the interest of the nursery (private) to admit to such an "offence".

I'm struggling to get my head around it, as I want to protect my daughter, but dont want to cause her future problems.

If you believe your daughter, and I was in your position, I would remove your daughter immediately and report this to the police and OFSTED. This is assault as no nursery worker has the right to smack your child, full stop.

Only you know your daughter and of course you want to protect her. I'm sure other caggers will be along to offer their advice, this is what I would definately do in your situation.

thanks for the advice. what would the police actually do though? Take the word of a child who is almost 4?

I am worried, as her twin sister is in the same class, and she backed up what her sister said when I took her to one side and asked if her sister was kidding.

I took some beatings with a stick when I was in primary (I know yours is a nursery) school, it did not do me any harm.

Notwithstanding, personally I would find some where else for your twins. Do not be that concerned about what the police will do, as I am sure you are aware your twins should take priority.

Edited by GuidoT

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

You should, at the very least, inform OFSTED. They will investigate, but even if they don't take any action they will be aware of your complaint if anyone else complains in the future. Someone else may have already complained about their child being smacked, but you need to make OFSTED aware.

Hang on a minute! Lets not jump in with all guns blazing on this!

Approach the manager of the nursery TOMORROW and ask for an explaination. See what he/she has to say about the 'incident'. DO NOT WORRY aabout making an official complaint and what 'future payback' will be.

If the feel the explaination is unsatisfactory, then inform them that you feel it necessary to remove your child and that you will be reporting the matter to the local authority. I think involving the police at this stage is a bit premature depending on how the 'smack' was administered, however there is no need to rule it out.

Can you give a bit more info about the 'smack'? I certainly hope it was made over her clothing for example!

the smack was over the clothing on her bottom.

when i think it through, i do agree that a small smack cany really hurt physically, but i'm not sure if it's what i want for my kids. I have never smacked them ever, and do not intend to, so why should I overlook it when someone else does?

I'm not sure what to do. The incident was not this week, so it's hard to pin down when it occured. I asked them both again last night, and one said she was only kidding and didnt get smacked, whilst the other said her sister did get smacked.

No way should a professional smack a child. You do need to consider the context of the alleged incident. If you little girl had been naughty (and what four year old is good all the time) perhaps she was put into time out and her bottom was tapped, but not maliciously if you know what I mean.

If it were me I'd have an informal word with the nursery manager.

I work in a school and staff are always very good with our children. However, misunderstandings happen. For instance a little boy (about 3) told his mum that Mrs **** had scratched his nose! Little boy had actually picked his nose, made and bleed and Mrs **** had cleaned it!