Do Civil Enforcement Officers have dispensation?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5230 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Frequently, I have seen CEOs pull up in their vehicle, park on yellow lines, not pay for a ticket and even once cause a relatively big traffic hold up, whilst they pounced on some motorist for breaches of parking legislation. Do they have any special dispensation to break the law whilst undertaking their duties? If so can you advise where it is set down in law?

Cheers!

There is no statutory dispensation that I've ever been made aware of. Council vehicles will only be exempt from following the parking restrictions if the local traffic regulation orders contain a provision that says council vehicles are exempt when parked to enable council officers to fulfil their official duties.

Many traffic orders have not been drafted to allow this and so I would advise checking out the local traffic orders to see if the articles within the orders contain such a provision. If they do not then the council vehicle will be parked in contravention.

there is no dispensation to allow CEOs to stop on DYLs and issue a PCN if they hare using their own vehicle. some councils will supply permits to CEOs in order for them to park in car parks whilst they are carrying out their duties,

as THEDOGS says Council vehicles will only be exempt from following the parking restrictions if the local traffic regulation orders contain a provision that says council vehicles are exempt when parked to enable council officers to fulfil their official duties.

hope that helps

Furthermore, a CEO has discretion on whether or not to issue a PCN: so are unlikely to ticket their own (or colleagues) vehicles.

Also, the vehicle owner is liable for civil enforcement and thus the Council would be liable for any PCN issued.

I have seen a Police Officer issue an FPN to a CEO's vehicle for obstruction; I don't know what the outcome was.

I think I will need to ask the question of the Council, if there are provisions within local traffic regulation orders that excuse CEO abiding by the law, as we are expected to do. I will keep the forum informed of their reply.

I think I will need to ask the question of the Council, if there are provisions within local traffic regulation orders that excuse CEO abiding by the law, as we are expected to do. I will keep the forum informed of their reply.

CEO are not 'excused abiding the law' they have to abide by the same laws as everyone else which are the Traffic regulations. There are no restrictions that forbid every vehicle stopping each restriction has its own exemptions. You could for example park with a blue badge on a yellow line this does not mean the disabled are not abiding the law. I have never seen a traffic order that did not exempt Council vehicles carrying out statutary duties how would you expect refuse to be collected in streets with yellow lines?

I see your point and can fully understand it. Still it would be interesting to ask the Council what the exceptions to the regulations are. Dust carts etc do of course have to be stationary from time to time to fulfil their obligations but there does seem something hypocritical about CEO parking indiscriminately while they target motorist for their often misdemeanours.I think it's fair play I'm after here

I see your point and can fully understand it. Still it would be interesting to ask the Council what the exceptions to the regulations are. Dust carts etc do of course have to be stationary from time to time to fulfil their obligations but there does seem something hypocritical about CEO parking indiscriminately while they target motorist for their often misdemeanours.I think it's fair play I'm after here

Why is it hypocritical? The people they are ticketing are in breach of the regulations they aren't? Is it wrong that you can park to unload whilst others will get a PCN whilst they go to the shops, is it wrong that the disabled can park for 3 hours on double yellows yet others get PCNs, is it wrong the Police are exempt from all restrictions, is it wrong cash in transit vans don't get PCNs yet customers using the ATM do, why are buses allowed to drop off at bus stops but coaches can't? Every restriction has exemptions for certain vehicles or activities. In a controlled zone where do you expect the CEOs to park or maybe you feel they should carry change to pay and display? Maybe you also think its hypocritical for the Police to exceed the speed limit if they after a car that is speeding?