• Tweets

• Morning all, a while since I've been here....I contacted my bank regarding the matter and they took the decision to take "charge back" action against QVC, I initially got the money back and then letters from QVC basically stating I had defaulted on my payments and owed them the money Nationwide had claimed back, just as BF speculated they would. In short I repaid QVC to avoid having debt collectors after me, and having contacted CAB am now in the process of writing to Evri outlining my claim. CAB provided me with a basic template for the letter so I'll see how that goes. Regards.
    • Well you could say that you have pictures where the signs were not on the wall where you parked so would require strict proof of when they were erected . But in any case it was dark so even if a sign was there you didn't see as it was not illuminated. Little point in not having signs that can be seen at night though it obviously makes it easier to issue PCNs and pursue motorists claiming they have breached non contractual contracts whilst breaching those same motorist's GDPR.
    • It fizzled out, they kept delaying the complaints process. In the end I believe they stopped charging me for a bunch of services, unsure if it was deliberate or a mistake so I stopped bringing it up. Ultimately we bought a house and moved out.
    • There are so many factors, and local elections are often far more about local issues and people, but the one previously general rule in a general election are that the hard core Tories vote Tory and hard core Labour voters vote labour   Gaza seems to have dulled both the muslim and Jewish labour votes more than the Tories - and I can see why - but do the muslim voters really think that the Tories will do ANYTHING other than talk and then do whatever the Americans say - and thats support Israel whatever they do first and foremost in real terms? Reform has unquestionably affected the Tory local vote - so should affect the GE vote a bit more, but has largely been factored in - reform isnt new in any way - its all Brexitish although there seem to be far more ex 'conservative' core reform/ukip/brexitish voters than ex 'labour' core voters - about 6-8% of the national vote in a GE seems to me. A little up on prior brexitish/faragits scores But the large swathes of center ground voters who decide who wins the election seem to have utterly deserted the Tories in their millions - although they have gone to labour, libdems and greens - and many real conservatives are in limbo despite Sunak being naturally more a thatcherite than most - his party currently seems far less so. Johnson promised much, and many were taken in, just as people (inc me) made that mistake with Farage in the early days - but we now know that they are self serving liars who can't be trusted with anything - although I still think it likely The Liar will be back - but most likely after the GE (60/40) Starmer is lacking in charisma and presence, but others in his cabinet should shine. But Corbynistas could still cause trouble - another group that seem happy to drag everything down if they think it suites   Johnson perhaps could reunite some of the Tory party - but he seems to have numerous criminal and political convistions sitting in the background should he try Lying about giving preference to dogs in the Afghan evacuations - and lying about it Unlawfully proroguing parliament embezzlement re funds and spending (eg flat referb) .. repeatedly Taking jobs before he should after being booted - should lose his PM pension and rights over that IMO the list goes on ad nauseam
    • Hi I am negotiating with my ex (commercial) landlord's solicitor for a debt I owe for rent. This has been going on for a little while and I expect they may go ahead with the court action they threaten. I wanted to ask however, In the event this action goes ahead, I think will have a response pack sent to me from the court, along with the claim. Google tells me that a section of this response pack is a 'Admit the claim and ask for time to pay'. Would this time to pay, if accepted also mean a CCJ registered against me? Thanks
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Dissecting the Manchester Test Case....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4624 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ni

An agreement under the cca cannot be challenged on the grounds it was not executed there is no section that permits it so any such action is prohibited under section 170.

An agreement can be challenged for not being properly executed under section65.

An unexecuted (not signed by both parties) agreement may not be executed but that is not the criteria for challenging unenforceability,

The fact that the same agreement is also not properly executed is ,it breaches section 65 but this section gives the court the right to asses the damage cause by the breach.

Regards

peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Definition of an executed agreement from CCA 1974

"“ executed agreement” means a document, signed by or on behalf of the parties, embodying the terms of a regulated agreement, or such of them as have been reduced to writing;"

From this it seems undeniable that to be an executed agreement, both parties need to sign. As has been pointed out already, if the debtor hasnt signed then its game over. But what are the consequences of the creditor not signing.

In mainstream contract law there needs to be a process of offer and acceptance. Now one might think that the provision of the application form (or agreement as they keep calling them) is the lender's offer. But its very arguable that it isnt. Take the case of Partridge v Crittenden in 1968. In this case, the accused (it was a criminal case) offered for sale via a newspaper advert bramblefinch cocks and hens. The court held that the newspaper advertisement could only be an invitation to treat, since it could not have been intended as an offer to the world, so the defendant was not guilty of "offering" them for sale. In the same way, when you to the supermarket and remove goods from the shelves, you would then take them to the checkout to pay for them. When you go the checkout, you make an offer of payment, and the shop accepts that.

Applying this to the process of taking out a credit card, when the prospective debtor puts in his/her form, he is making an offer, but there has been no formal acceptance of this by the lender.

In this respect, perhaps s59 (An agreement is void if, and to the extent that, it purports to bind a person to enter as debtor or hirer into a prospective regulated agreement), in that after acceptance by the lender, the formal agreement should be forthcoming for signature?

But, if the lender doesnt sign, then it does seem clear that there has not been an executed agreement, and to be honest I am not really clear what the consequences are/ should be. I will need to have a think about that!

excellent quite right

The whole pointof the precontractural section of the cca and particularily section 57 and 59 is to try to get a round the offer to treat.

Section 57 gives the right for the debtor or creditor to withdraw before the bargain is made this is taken to mean that some action is taken on the act ie money has changed hands section 59 is for applications to treat and the fact that they do not bind you to a prospective contract unless covered by the si wich applies to quotations issued uner this section.

The differnce between an application and an appliction / agreement is the presence of the prescribed terms and the form of the document if the appl

ication is given under section 62 it is both applicationand agreement so the section59 will not apply

peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

these two posts dd, illustrate what concerns me - that we are dealing with people whose honesty can be and has been questioned. A good photocopier (and lets face it resources arent an issue for banks typically) can produce a copy that cannot be distinguished from an original. The arbiter in the case can be somewhat prejudiced and at lower levels may not be too bothered about the quality of evidence. :eek::mad::eek::mad:

The clear message then is that in court their evidence should be challenged at every turn, but that to allow CAGers (and others) to do this, we really need to start to develop what tools we can to address this.

usually a microfiche copy of the front of the agreement taken before they archive or destroy them

also from the appl form details that they punched into their computer

if they are hard to read they are undoubtedly reconstructed and not copies of the original

modern photocopiers are so good these days even counterfeiters use them so any photocopy of an original should be very readable

i see, thats why what they have sent me, is in mint condition, this account

was opened in 2001. however they have sent modern aggreement, ie ,charges £12, late fees etc, and a set of conditions of use, from 2001, ie charges £20 late fees etc.does not add up to me. and to be honest i have never seen these before.i think that they have to be very careful, sending these recons, i smell fraud in the air.

was opened in 2001. however they have sent modern aggreement, ie ,charges £12, late fees etc, and a set of conditions of use, from 2001, ie charges £20 late fees etc.does not add up to me. and to be honest i have never seen these before.i think that they have to be very careful, sending these recons, i smell fraud in the air.

The fact is and I think this is the fact.

Most banks don't have pre 2004 originals. HBOS certainly and Barclays def. I worked with the team as far back as the early 90's where we would scan all bank account details and send originals off to storage. if staff/customers wanted copies they were printed off from scanned images. the originals were destryed by I know at least HBOS. They were concerned about costs or accurately profits.

The fact is some if not all banks don't have originals therefore they stand to lose billions in right offs, THEY WILL DO EVERYTHING IN THERE POWER TO STOP THIS. just look at bank charges

We live in an unmoderated country why should the net be any different?

Bring back free speech we miss it!

The fact is and I think this is the fact.

Most banks don't have pre 2004 originals. HBOS certainly and Barclays def. I worked with the team as far back as the early 90's where we would scan all bank account details and send originals off to storage. if staff/customers wanted copies they were printed off from scanned images. the originals were destryed by I know at least HBOS. They were concerned about costs or accurately profits.

The fact is some if not all banks don't have originals therefore they stand to lose billions in right offs, THEY WILL DO EVERYTHING IN THERE POWER TO STOP THIS. just look at bank charges

thats very intresting, and if what you say is true, then indeed these recon, cut and paste jobs, they are sending out i would say its fraud, how on earth do they get awaywith it!

The arguement is they don't need originals even though the CCA law is very clear on this. the defense is it is logistically a problem, what they really mean is we don't have, so we are screwed. Maybe its me but do the judges agreeing with the banks have major share interests???

The arguement is they don't need originals even though the CCA law is very clear on this. the defense is it is logistically a problem, what they really mean is we don't have, so we are screwed. Maybe its me but do the judges agreeing with the banks have major share interests???

this is bad , so bank has no original agreement, bank makes one up reon.

mr judge says " that will do" then yes i agree with you judge does indeed have major share intrersts, this is very bad indeed!

but its all speculation, judges who hate debtors escaping debts because of loopholes is pure guess work or having a judge with a pension based on Lloyds share price, I have some facts not all and although i'm a cynic the bottom line is the judge decides who wins for right or wrong.

its hard to say if this will continue through the year becuase the CCA LAW is still quite clear and I suppose we have to wait and see.

All I do know is something will have to give be that the consumer or bank...........

Can I ask a slightly different question re prescribed terms. Can an agreement, when dealing with the credit limit and interest rate, refer to a table of credit limits with corresponding interest rates and tell you your limit will be a figure specified in the table?

Brooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooce's success's so far:

Capital One - 15% f & f saving £4,250

Barclaycard - 25% f & f saving £12,000

Blackhorse - reduced loan settlement saving £1,605

Cahoot - 15% f & f saving £2,740

MBNA - 20% f & f saving £26,800

Lloyds TSB 28% f & f saving £7,377

Total written off to date: £54,772!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also I was looking at the wording on my HSBC agreement. In the Carey v HSBC judgment the judge seems to have accepted the PT's were contained in the agreement because it used the word 'attached'. The HSBC agreement I have uses the phrase "..in the accompanying leaflet 'Credit Card Agreement Terms' " - which I don't recall ever receiving. Is this the language of embody rather than contain? Is this implying it is a seperate document but not one with a physical attachment to the agreement?

Can I ask a slightly different question re prescribed terms. Can an agreement, when dealing with the credit limit and interest rate, refer to a table of credit limits with corresponding interest rates and tell you your limit will be a figure specified in the table?

As long as they say something like......"this is your credit limit" or "we will inform you later what your credit limit is" or make some reference to how it will be determined ...then yes they have complied

Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553)

dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

It states "We will determine and notify your credit limit to you from time to time. Initially it will a figure specified in the table below".

I am quoting this from a Barclaycard T & C from 1992 - not from anything actually contained in the copy agreement they have sent (parts of which are barely legible).

Might be asking a daft one here but have been online too long and my mind has melted...just a little :|.

Civil Procedure Rules state that the creditor where relying on an agreement must produce the original in court. They can of course up to that point play the whole game beforehand but at the critical point they must produce it.

How has this reconstruction issue changed things?

I ask this in the context of the actual situation eg, the debtor taking the creditor to court. Perhaps I've just answered my own question there, CPR wouldn't apply in that scenario would it?

Discuss :D

It states "We will determine and notify your credit limit to you from time to time. Initially it will a figure specified in the table below".

I am quoting this from a Barclaycard T & C from 1992 - not from anything actually contained in the copy agreement they have sent (parts of which are barely legible).

from the 1983 regs (as ammended)

The credit limit expressed as:--

(a) a sum of money;

(b) a statement that the credit limit will be

determined by the creditor from time to time

under the agreement and that notice of it will be

given by him to the debtor;

© a sum of money together with a statement that

the creditor may vary the credit limit to such sum

as he may from time to time determine under the

agreement and that notice of it will be given by

him to the debtor; or

(d) in a case not falling within head (a), (b) or ©

above, either a statement indicating the manner in

which the credit limit will be determined and that

notice of it will be given by the creditor to the

debtor or a statement indicating that there is no

credit limit.

So it looks like they have complied

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

Thats actually a fair point. When you apply for a CC if they give a table of interest rates against a list of different credit limits, at that point you do not know what limit is going to be set for you, therefore you are not aware of the APR. Its a point worth discussion and may well prove to invalidate the application as an agreement.

Vint

Might be asking a daft one here but have been online too long and my mind has melted...just a little :|.

Civil Procedure Rules state that the creditor where relying on an agreement must produce the original in court. They can of course up to that point play the whole game beforehand but at the critical point they must produce it.

I think a court would take a dim view if you requested a copy under CPR and they sent you a reconstruction, then pulled the original out of the bag at the hearing.

It won't except for s78 at the moment.

I ask this in the context of the actual situation eg, the debtor taking the creditor to court. Perhaps I've just answered my own question there, CPR wouldn't apply in that scenario would it?

Vint

from the 1983 regs (as ammended)

The credit limit expressed as:--

(a) a sum of money;

(b) a statement that the credit limit will be

determined by the creditor from time to time

under the agreement and that notice of it will be

given by him to the debtor;

© a sum of money together with a statement that

the creditor may vary the credit limit to such sum

as he may from time to time determine under the

agreement and that notice of it will be given by

him to the debtor; or

(d) in a case not falling within head (a), (b) or ©

above, either a statement indicating the manner in

which the credit limit will be determined and that

notice of it will be given by the creditor to the

debtor or a statement indicating that there is no

credit limit.

So it looks like they have complied

Dave

this issue is up in the Court of Appeal in March isn't it?

Thats actually a fair point. When you apply for a CC if they give a table of interest rates against a list of different credit limits, at that point you do not know what limit is going to be set for you, therefore you are not aware of the APR. Its a point worth discussion and may well prove to invalidate the application as an agreement.

Vint

This has has been pointed out previously by PT on another thread, some MBNA 'agreements' may fall down on this actual point.

would also be interested in anyone's thoughts

Capitalism is the legitimate racket

of the ruling class.

Al Capone

This solicitor's analysis of Waksman's judgement was pointed out on another thread. I read it and noted point 4 as having the most interesting conclusions for us insisting on an original copy if the agreement has been varied - and most all agreements have been varied:

4. If an agreement has been varied by the creditor under a unilateral power of variation, the creditor must still provide a copy of the original agreement as well as the original terms.

Comment: It is important when providing advice to clients that both the original agreement and any subsequent or amended agreements are thoroughly reviewed and analysed to ascertain whether there are any aspects of the agreements that may render the agreements unenforceable or unfair. This judgement ensures that the creditor must provide a copy of the original agreement as well as the up to date terms and conditions, where the original terms and conditions have been varied or replaced, to enable each individual credit agreement in respect of a credit facility to be examined separately.

You can read the full analysis at Emmetts Solicitors website in Consumer Credit claims.

There is a line of thought that if the credit limit you are provided with is not listed in the table then you have not been provided with the correct APR as required.

I don't know of a case getting to court on that one.

I have today finally rec'd my DJ decision as JUDGEMENT in restons favour from my SJ hearing last July. I have to appear at a Notice of handing down of Judgement hearing??? 28th Jan....9 days away. Been waiting on directions all this time so gutted to say the least as in court the DJ told me he was dismissing there summary judgement until the next hearing so dont know whats gone wrong as hoped next there would be disclosures info req etc

I am wondering if its all to do with this Manchester Test case and if anybody can help me to deal in this judgement I am being handed (with 9 days to address it...please help me on my thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/185814-court-papers-help-required.html

as I would be ever so grateful):Cry:

My CCA has never been produced (Priority Request form no prescribed terms etc so should be unenforceable) No T & C only recent 2008 ones sent. (Judge is satisfied me having been served with a COPY of Priority Req Form & CURRENT T & C it complied with requirements of S.78.)

DN is defective........ 9th Jan remedy date 26th Jan2009 (14 clear days it was not) Judge has disregarded the practice directions given in my defence as deemed it to be served to me on the 12th Jan so exactly 14days .

CAG NEEDS FUNDS PLEASE DONATE AS MUCH OR AS LITTLE WHERE POSSIBLE

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/paypal.php?go=donate

i think youll find that they are saying that that represents the current terms not the original ones

Vint

on older agreements they worked on a typical 1000

and on later ones 1500

i think this is correct

the rules state that the creditor SHOULD produce the original at court not MUST

big defference!!