LEGAL ADVICE: Loan from parents - only repay in event of divorce

stush
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5236 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My parents lent me monies to purchase a property approx 1.5 years ago..

They gave me the monies on the basis i only repay in the event of divorce, and they wanted me to have a document drawn up, which I didnt get done, but nothing was said.

In the last few months I have got married (and happily married) and now moved into the property with my new wife.

My parents have now asked that they want a legal document drawn up to confirm the terms of the monies that they had lent me and that I would have to repay in the event of divorce.

So far I have always paid the mortgage as my wife hasnt been working until last few weeks, and we currently dont have a joint account.

Is this something that is possible? Even though I am now married?

I don't know if it is possible but, and meaning no disrespect to your wife, by way of explanation for your parents request I know that some of my older neighbours are wary of signing over 'inheritance' in order to protect the inheritance from 'ex's resulting from divorce, be that divorce likely or not.

Your parents cannot require you to deprive your (ex) wife of her legal entitlement particularly if she isn't a signatory to the said agreement

You need a declaration of trust which will secure your parents portion of the property in the event your unable to repay the loan

I suggest you see a private client solicitor

So you 'used' the money BEFORE you married As she has a legal right to occupy the property you will need her written consent to permit a charge to be lodged

This could get messy later on if not handled properly so my advice is see a private client solicitor before doing anything