• Tweets

• all DYL's are subject to a TRO. looking at this newish, ever increasing as old ind units have gotten removed, estate, there are only lines on one side, on the other there is a parking lane with traffic calming through which you mention. i seriously doubt your mate has any clue what he is talking about.!! its not a private housing assoc estate. so its a public council owned road. no construction co can just decide to draw their graffiti on a road. the DYLs are certainly there pre 2016 even before his home was built. now ive had a quick look to see if the main access to royal park road has signs. there is no royle park road even on your map but there is a royal barn road which leads to where you are parked royal road has a restriction sign on the pole by the fence of the electric substation jnc with gipsy lane there does not appear to be one leading in from the other end - tesco petrol station
    • Hi All. I was driving in Stevenage down a 40 road after coming off the motor way, i noticed my car felt a little "weird" i accelerated, then slowed the car down.  Shortly after i got stopped by a manned police car with a laser. During the stop the officer stated i was doing 54 in a 40, the conversation was short, but he said i would unlikely get a awareness course and it was most likely 3 points and a fine.  Mrs thought it was a good idea to have dairy when she is lactose intolerant on date night, we just got on our way.  At the time, i didnt admit to the offence, but did say i didnt realise and had slowed down in any case. The officers chest camera was recording and on. At the stop, he asked where to send the fine to, as i knew i would be travelling to visit family up north, i provided my temporary details at that location in Yorkshire. It is now 05/05 and i haven't received anything at either my home address in Stevenage or the temporary address. 1. Is there a time limit in which paperwork needs to be sent to me. 2. Should i query the ticket as i don't want to miss any deadlines (if so who do i check with?) OR should i keep quiet. 3. Given nothing has arrived in 20 days, is there a chance of appeal if and when it comes through? Many thanks CrazeUK
    • Hi All. A family friends car was having issues when she was on a trip visiting family up north at the begining of January.  She ended up leaving it at my friends garage in the same location, who parked it on his forecourt to investigate the issue, howver he said most likely it is beyond economical repair as its a serious gearbox fault. In the meantime i replaced her car with one of my spare cars. The insurance on the car then expired in at the end of January.  When the insurance expired, I sent a paper V890 paper as i didnt have her V5 Reference number in hand to do it online (i have a copy of this).  She didnt mention she hadnt recieved any confirmation as she didnt know if she would get one.  She then cancelled her road tax at the end of March (i think) as she was paying by DD. She then was travelling up north so didnt get her ,ail until last week. She recievd a letter dated 09/04/2024 stating she had failed to insure the vehcile and there was a £100 fine which could be reduced to £50 if she respons by 11/05/2024.  As soon as we noticed, i got her to dig  out the V5 and SORN'd the vehicle.   My friend has been a bit slow in checking the fault, however i suspect it will still be scrapped and is still on his forecourt. Is this possible to appeal?
    • worthy to not forget Just to let you know this bunch Kensington have been fined £1.225m by the financial regulator for treating borrowers who were in arrears unfairly. Claim those charges back plus the interest and tell them not to add any more to the account. There are a few news stories here you can get the info for a letter to send to them. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8615870.stm  
    • Hi All. I went to visit a family friend in Rochdale on a new housing estate opposite a old row of houses. The location is Royle Road, Postcode OL11 3PE. I was originally parked in parking bays outside the old houses, then moved the car, when I noticed my tyre was flat, so parked on what looked like double yellows to use his air pump to check and inflate the tyres before we left the house.   In the time i went inside to sort the pump and power supply i got a PCN.  The tyre then got changed (has a puncture) and we left. PCN Number:         RE######## Date:             04/05/2024 Time:             20:36 Observation:         20:34 to 20:36 Reported location:     Royle Park Road Reason:        Parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours (Code: 01) I believe this PCN is not correct and has grounds to appeal: 1. My friend who moved into the property around 6 months ago, swears that even though it has old double yellows marked, they are not current or council marked.   He said the property development company had said they had marked them for ease of access during development. 2. The road i was parked on was Royle Road.  The PCN was issued for Royle Park Road, which is about 400 yards up the road. 3. There are no sign posts or marking showing parking  restriction hours in the entire area (there maybe on Royle park Road). I have attached a map of the Location where i parked as a red dot. I have 2 questions: a.  Is there a way to check where double yellow lines are marked on some register to check if they are current? b. Can my grounds of appeal simply be, wrong location, wrong offence? Thanks in advance. Map_20240505.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

How many times a day

trayday
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1886 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

How many times a day have you had phone calls from your credit card company/bank, telling you what you already know, that you owe them money! how many times do you have to say yes, i know and i will do my best to pay you back.

Today i've had two calls from the Halifax regarding my credit card, one this afternoon and another at 8.40 this evening.

During the earlier call i yet again explained, i am not working at the moment i have had a breakdown but getting better. but still living on incapacity and disability living allowence, but you must know this as every 2 months you help yourself to £60 of my benefit straight out of my current account. yes came the reply we can do this, its our right you owe us money.

I told her i paid £10 last week, was told this was not enough we need more this week. FOUR times she asked me to pay something today and Four times i told her I have no money today.

I agreed i would call the debt company they gave me the number for (payplan) if i did this they would stop calling me everyday sometimes up

to four times a day. I requested copies of all my credit card statments under DPA and told her i would go through them and would work out how much i owed them after removing the unlawful charges they have put on my account. She told me the charges were not unlawful that they were in place to stop people from abusing thier accounts. i said so its a punishment and she replied 'yeah kind of' so i asked for the statments and a transcript of the conversation to be sent to me.

this evening i had another call asking for payment. i told the young woman i felt this was harrassment and was told they can call upto 4 times a day. i was also told i would be charged for every copy of each statment they sent me and i could only go back 6 months.

Time to strike back, although something tells me you will need a lot of encouragement and support in this. I had a breakdown a few years ago and know what a slog it is to get back together again.

In the first instance Dave is certainly right - this is harrassment, it is harmful and a court would not look favourably on this behaviour. Request that it cease forthwith, and follow moderator advice in this all the way.

Request all your data under the DPA requirements, and insist that this includes transcripts of your calls. Once they realise what was said they may start to play ball, but I doubt it.

After that it really is a case of following advice/procedure from the library/faq and familiarising yourself with what is required.

Good luck - nobody deserves this treatment.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thank you both so much for your advice. i will wright to them Dave, bless you for that.

I have sent my DPA off for my current account but not the credit card.

i asked for transcrips of both calls today and was told that a manager would have to listen to them first.

Please please please go to this website.

http://www.cccs.co.uk/faqs/creditor.htm

This is the site for the Consumer Credit Counselling Service and this page tells you what your creditors are/arent allowed to do.

Guidelines have been put together by The Office Of Fair Trading giving guidance on what activities may be considered as harassment and should therefore be avoided by creditors.

Creditors are warned by the Office Of Fair Trading that they should not: -

Bring unreasonable pressure to bear on you in default of payment

Make nuisance visits and phone calls, or use abusive or threatening language in person, by letter or by telephone

Thats just a couple of points, they are acting illegally and I know that the CCCS will help you to get them to stop (report them as well but investigations may take time and you need them to stop immediately.)

I know I've harped on about the CCCS before but they pretty much saved my life when I was in a hole. They really do listen and are very sympathetic.

If you find my post helpful please click on the scales at the top. Thank you

FAQ SECTION HERE

Halifax Bank Claim filed and settled

Halifax Credit Card settled

Argos Store Card settled

CCA requests sent to

Halifax Credit Card

LLoyds TSB Credit Card

Capital One

Moorcroft (Argos)

NDR

18/06/09

Again - good luck.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Very interesting post. Last year I placed an ad in Thomsons Directory, but then fell ill and couldn't repay them the £777 owing. Even though I explained the situation, Thomson passed it on to a debt collection agency, who phoned me up incessantly.

It was always the same guy, a real motormouth and very intimidating (and I'm not easily intimidated) and he would phone up, we would argue for several minutes (I would stick with my stance of refusing point blank to discuss anything about the account over the phone, nothing more, nothing less). I would eventually have to hang up and he would then repeatedly ring back non-stop, often for a dozen times or more. This went on for about five weeks and at it's peak I recieved over 100 calls in two weeks. I also recieved about 25 letters from the same firm during this period.

I eventually asked BT for help and they offered me a service called, I think, "choose to refuse". When somebody calls it gives you the option to block all future calls from that number. You just type 14258 into the p[hone, and there number is then blocked. This is very useful if you get a lot of sales or collectors calls. There is a small monthly charge, about £6 I think, for the service but it stops a lot of calls.

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

I find that if you refuse to confirm your Postcode/date of birth etc etc as lets face it they could be anyone calling up the calls stop :wink:

Lloyds, DPA Letter issued 9/3/06

Lloyds, Preliminary approach letter issued 11/4/06

Interesting tip about not confirming date of birth and postcode. I have thought of trying that but never did, yet.

I have merely said, on occasion, that I did not wish to discuss this now and I would get in touch myself.

I have tried saying that they should put everything in writing, particularly when arrangements made during one phone call seem to have been forgotten a few days later when another individual from the same company phoned to harrass me again; this has happened on more than one occasion. I have been told by one credit card company that they don't send out anything in writing (didn't know whether to laugh or scream at that one); the same one told me they refused to cease phoning me.

I too have had my share of health problems - depression, in my case. My only advice is: try to not take it personally.

in the event of more phone calls say the following - this is from a Motley Fool advice on dealing with debt

--------

I am now taping the rest of this conversation: (Pause for effect) and I am putting you on notice, that I intend reporting you to the Office of Fair Trading, under Section 40 of The Administration of Justice Act 1970, for Harassment. Furthermore, I will from this point on, only communicate with you in writing and if I receive one more telephone call from you or your organisation, I will see that you face criminal proceedings under Section 2 of The Protection from Harassment Act 1997 and before you say anything further, you may be interested to know that your consumer credit license will not protect you from prosecution. Are we now absolutely clear on the matter?

----------

Mike

Thats right. Great advice from Mike. If I answer the phone and don't recognise the voice I always ask them to confirm who's calling before I tell them who I am. If its some telesales or someone I don't want to speak to, I don't speak to them, basically. I just say 'sorry, the householder's not in' (if telesales) or 'sorry shes not in' for anyone else. They don't know who you are and they should not be harrassing you like this. Put a stop to it now. You don't need this added stress.

If you found this post helpful please click on the scales, top right. Thank you.

If you find this site helpful and if you reclaim your charges please donate by clicking the button at the top of the page

First Direct 1 - settled

First Direct 2 - settled

RBS 1 - claim made 8/5/6

RBS 2 - claim made 8/5/6

GE Capital - counter claim 6/5/6

Halifax - settled 31/5/6

Section 2 of The Protection from Harassment Act 1997 and before you say anything further, you may be interested to know that your consumer credit license will not protect you from prosecution

Mike

Just wanted to add my 2 penneth. The police WILL act if you report them for a breach of the 1997 act. They will telephone or write to the offending company and you will be given a crime number.

Yorkshire Bank £2201.24 - Settled in full

My Abbey £731.34 - Settled in full

Hubby's Abbey £1239.49 - Settled in full

Or do as I do:

Go through the "I don't want you to call this number", and add "next time you call, I shall treat this as case of harassment and will deal with it accordingly". Next time, (make sure it's them first, lol), blow a whistle down the phone for 30 seconds, then hang up. I think you'll find they'll stop very quickly.

Alternatively, when they ask for Mr Bloggs ask who they are. If they are the organisation that you don't want to speak to, just say that you will get Mr Bloggs and then just put the phone on the table and go off to do some ironing, cook a meal etc etc. Eventually they will get the message.

Guest Alison82

What about if you just don't speak, stay on the line but in silence they will soon get bored and hang up!

just a quick update, first a big thank you to all who have taken the time to help and give such good advice.

i have emailed the halifax and quoted the wireless and telegraph act at them, havent had a reply (there's a surprise) but also have not had any more phone calls either.

still haven't had the transcript of the two phone calls which i requested but have had 6 out of the 24 credit card statments i asked for under the DPA

• 2 months later...
Just wanted to add my 2 penneth. The police WILL act if you report them for a breach of the 1997 act. They will telephone or write to the offending company and you will be given a crime number.

Not MY lot! I phoned my police station to report a DCA (NCO) which sent a postcard to say they were sending someone round tomorrow (Tues 6 June) in response to a letter I sent THEM telling them to back off as the account in question was in dispute & that I refused to discuss it with third parties. I received another letter from them this morning.

Anyway, PC Plod got very frustrated & kept saying it wasn't a criminal offence "Just meet them & see what they have to say, it's just common sense!"

The best I could get out of him (when I advised him there could be a breach of the peace) was "Well if you need us, give us a call". Seeing as it took them half-an-hour to attend when I was assaulted 2 years ago, (you ccan SEE the police station from my house!), I don't think it would do much good! So - I wouldn't bother phoning the police!

Sad (but true in this day & age), in all cases it all depends on who's on duty when you happen to phone. Luckily the Sgt at our local station is my bro ;)

Yorkshire Bank £2201.24 - Settled in full

My Abbey £731.34 - Settled in full

Hubby's Abbey £1239.49 - Settled in full

Hi Trayday, hope you are feeling less intimidated by things now. We once had 23 calls one Sunday from Sainsburys which is when we started to fight back, once we had got hold of the CCCS, their self help pack is enormously helpful plus they told us we had been trying to pay too much in token payments, some people are only paying about £1 a day, the afore-mentioned bullies started backing off and we also used all the other tatics that people have mentioned i.e. harassment, we are now on repayment plans and no more telephone calls!

Hi just to say your not alone in all this

I have just taken the advice off here about the wireless telegraphy act letter only time will tell if its done the trick.

Good luck delly x

Halifax cc Won settled in full after moneyclaim.

MBNA WON SETTLED IN FULL....

IKEA Data Protection Act sent 12/7/06 prelim sent 11/08/2006 gone to moneyclaim Ikea said they,d pay up but have yet to see the money

Halifax current Won!!!!!!!!!!!!

Capital One done this to me, calling me several times a day, even up until around 9pm/10pm at night. They claimed they were legally entitled to do so. I don't know the law on this so I just put up with it.

One time a rep from Capital One called me, I offered to make payments and set up a plan and then she ended up hanging up the phone on me because according to her I was being abusive. I hope they have it recorded so it will prove I wasn't. She just hung up! I noted down the date and time though so if needed I have that to bring up.

NatWest:

6/6/06 - Data Protection Act sent - £10 paid.

8/6/06 - Data Protection Act & £10 signed for.

29/6/06 - Statements received.

30/6/06 - Prelim letter £1397.94

11/7/06 - Prelim letter rejected

12/7/06 - Sent LBA

18/7/06 - LBA Rejected

24/7/06 - Moneyclaim £1779.56

31/8/06 - AQ Received

1/9/06 - Sent AQ + £100 (New Total: £1879.56)

16/9/06 - Received Cobbetts AQ

19/9/06 - Offer £1000 (Rejected)

22/9/06 - Settled in FULL £1879.56 (with disclosure)

Capital One:

6/6/06 - Data Protection Act sent

1/9/06 - Settled in FULL £775.37 (Default NOT removed)

Hi,

Just a quick note to say that many of the collection companies work through

Anonymous telephone systems and there is a service that you can get from BT which blocks all anonymous calls. I am also under the impression that a collection company is only allowed to call a maximum of twice a day about relivant matters otherwise it is classed as harrasment as they are persuing without intention. Or somthing like that !

hope this helps... (i did notice this post is quite old but i just wanted to get my word in) :)

Ninja

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1886 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks