Car Crashed into in Car Park

jimmyca69
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5278 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

No - For damage to your car, you are requesting they release you the images under the DPA. You want to see YOU arriving, getting out of the car, and what happened to it until you got back into it and departed. As this footage will identify YOU (also) you can make a valid request to see this, paying the fee.

I don't believe the police will do anything, other than cobfirm it was private property and that you are on your own. Once you identify the VRM of the offender, the DVLA will give you the RK details as you have a 'reasonable cause' for this data.

• Haha 1

No - For damage to your car, you are requesting they release you the images under the DPA. You want to see YOU arriving, getting out of the car, and what happened to it until you got back into it and departed. As this footage will identify YOU (also) you can make a valid request to see this, paying the fee.

I don't believe the police will do anything, other than cobfirm it was private property and that you are on your own. Once you identify the VRM of the offender, the DVLA will give you the RK details as you have a 'reasonable cause' for this data.

Thanks again for clarifying :cool:

Will keep you posted

Why would the police not be interested? An offence has been committed.

The Act states "road or other public place" which i suspect (strongly) ould include this M&S carpark.

Exactly as I indicated in my post #12. Just as you can be done for being in charge of a motor vehicle while over the perscribed alcohol limit which is parked on private land which has un restricted access.

Spoke to Police today - they said they would get the footage off M&S and check it within next week and get back to me.

Seemed keen to proceed with it and officer said she would get someone to go pickup the footage by end of today, only delay would be getting chance to watch the 2hrs of footage to see if anything recorded.

So seems no need to request it from M&S head office and that Police will investigate it, just may take a while to hear back.

Will keep you posted

Sailor Sam - i must admit i missed your post at first, but your 100% right. There does seem to be a lot of confusion about this matter. One example being where people seem to think its ok to take their sons/daughters to a supermarket car park to drive around in (uninsured) because its not (by everyday definition) a road.

Jimmy - good news, all the best!

Well police got back to me, left message saying they spoke to M&S to get footage but it turns out when they tried to get it that the camera in question was faulty and it hadnt recorded anything :(

They said that they had called engineers to look at it, and its now fixed. Which of course makes me immensely happy that after the event it now works :rolleyes:

So thats the end of that, cynics may say the faulty camera saved M&S and the Police a lot of paperwork but at least i did all i could.

Thanks again for all the help :cool:

had heard of that happening in a place i worked at, turn out the camera worked fine but they had forgot to press record again once they replaced the tape, 6 months ago mind

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

had heard of that happening in a place i worked at, turn out the camera worked fine but they had forgot to press record again once they replaced the tape, 6 months ago mind

I got into a lot of trouble with this kind of thing a few years ago. It was a serious incident involving a lot of money. Thieves had used our entrance to bypass some security devices to enter a neighbouring property and I had forgotten to change the tapes the night before. I was questioned by the police as I could have been an accomplice.

I'm surprised the police issued a CN. Invariably once they establish it is private property, that's instantly becomes a 'civil matter#, and they lose interest. You should WRITE to M&S AND speak with the local manager to ensure the video image is retained. Also remember on Shopping Centre CP's, CCTV is usually operated by the property management company, NOT the stores in the park (unless at their doors).

Private property or not driving without due care or leaving the scene of an incident without leaving your details is no longer just a civil matter its now a criminal matter Also OP write to the shop manager & ask him to retain the CCTV ........... also invoking the DPA to conceal a crime is not allowed so the lady is talking rubbish

You have a right to see any CCTV footage of you which is taken in public places. It all depends if M+S class thier land as 'public' or not. If it is, write a letter to the store manager (refer to them as Data Controller in the letter) and ask to see footage of you and your car at this time (although am not sure if this rule applies to the car or if it's just you). Do it soon as the footage is usually erased after 3 days on a loop DVR System. Send it recorded delivery also so you have evidence you sent it with a witness countersigning the letter.

The store will then have a set amount of time to invite you in to the store to view footage and they will either make you sign a Data Protection Document or they will erase the faces of all the people from the video... probably the former though.

PLEASE BEAR IN MIND I HAVEN'T BEEN A CCTV OPERATOR FOR ABOUT A YEAR SO THIS RULE MAY HAVE CHANGED. Definitely look into it though.