odwyer1980 vs NatWest

odwyer1980
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6393 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A few months after I sent off my application requesting bank charges - step one on the “to do list”.

This morning I received a thick wad of bank statements from Natwest dated from Oct 27 2000 up until July 3rd this year.

A solid wad of bank statements. Now what on earth am I supposed to do with this? In the initial template, I‘m sure it asks for charges. Did anyone else receive bank statements for the last 6 years?

I have no idea how I am supposed to work out how much I am due. I will be here ‘til next year.

Just what is my next step?

Thanks for any help.

John

Update.

Ok, I see others have had the brown envelope as well. Only I got mine this morning - mere few months after the programme first aired that encouraged us to go this route.

Now another question:-

What is my next step? Do I go through the statements, and note down all charges from NatWest or do I just note specific charges?

It's so long since first started this, that I can't remember what to do, nor what Faq's top look under that gives us the steps. Have I done step 1? I've forgot.

I'm basically at the stage where they've sent me the wad of statements for the last 6 years.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks again.

Hi

you need to go through the statements and highlight ALL charges made!! I then created an excel spreadsheet with columns for date, Type of charge i.e. DD unpaid, refefral charge, unlawful over the limit charge and misuse of card charge. I got the same as you and it does't take that long. Do not include advantage gold charges they are not unlawful charges.

If you do this it is easy to then include the interest charges when and if you have to enter a money claim on line or the the courts direct. This calculates ALL interest for the last 6 years for each date entered. Sorry to waffle on but it easier than is sounds. Good luck. Isobel

Hunbun;)

all charges marked: unpaid chq, unpaid d/d, paid referral fees and anything you`ve been charged for exceeding your od limit.

It doesn`t take as long as you think to go through them. And highlight them as well so you don`t lose your place.

Won....:D:D:D...£3778.50

Hi,

Thanks for the swift replies Isobel, Cumbria.

I have a lot of those charges after a quick look.

However, I also see a regular chagre that just says for example - Charges 03sep A/C £29.00 - sometimes £37.00, sometimes £9.00 or £10.00

I think these could be for going over my overdraft limit of £300 which it was at the time?

What do these signify? All it has beside them are A/C then it details of the charge.

I take it these don't count as unlawful? I have an Advantage gold account.

Thanks again.

John

I have an advantage gold account and suggest that the monthly charge does include a fee for the 'privelige'. I have seen some comments that say that monthly fee includes the AGA fee, it is now £12 per month. Sorry not as informed as others. If I saw a fee with no details I added it!!!!!!!!!!!

Hunbun;)

How much does the advantage gold account cost? Looking through my statement from down the years, it started at around £6.00 in 2001.

In 2003 it looks to have increased to £9 then it went to £10. Now looking at my latest statement, I got charged £12.00 so I presume that's where it stands now.

I've also noticed down the years they seem to have included my end of the month charges combined together with my advantage gold charge. For example £29.00 (year 2004 £9.00 advantage gold).

So all in all - I have a feeling they've included the advantage gold monthly charge with the charges for going over my £300 limit, so it confuses things.

I somehow have to deduct the relevant advantage gold charge from the time - for example in year 2004 it says Charges 03sep A/C £29.00. Back then the advatge gold was £9 so I have to somehow deduct the £9.00 from all the £29.00 charges I have.

Anyone else had do this?

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

Another update:

Basically, after I sent my preliminary approach letter (first one) on the 24th August.

I have not heard a thing back.

Can anyone tell me the next step?

Is there another letter I send them? is there a "next letter"?

Is this part of their "non replying" scheme, meaning I should've expected them to not reply to this letter?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

have u waited the 14 days? if so yes send them the LBA (letter before action) from the templates library, they have a further 14days from the day u send it. after this if they havent paid up (which i doubt they will have) u file a claim either through www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by doing it the paperway. u will find links and templates for what to write and guidance notes in the bank templates library.

Did u use the spreadsheet in the library to enter all of your charges?

NatWest (CLAIM 1) - £2181.24 SETTLED IN FULL

VIRGIN MBNA - £377 SETTLED IN FULL + INTEREST

NATWEST (CLAIM 2) - £1008.30 - SETTLED IN FULL

ok u should of sent the LBA after 14 days. it doesnt matter though.

it doesnt make alot of difference who u send it to to be honest. As long as your sending them and they are receiving them.

i sent mine to Natwest Customer Relations FREEPOST Nat 12685 BOREHAMWOOD WD6 1BR and got responses to both my letters within a few days. i'll private message u a step by step guide it should help u x

if u look in the faq'a section there is a step by step guide that will help u along the way x it was too long to send in personal message x

• 3 weeks later...

I have a major update to my claim.

Finally I get a letter back with a decision. I don’t know if you’ve received this letter, but I have a feeling others might have.

In a nutshell, I am claming back for various charges of around £1,300 (I can’t remember precisely) Anyway, the letter starts:

We believe our charges are fair, reasonable and transparent... (They go on for paragraph).

The next paragraph shows their problems with the Office of Fair Trading statement of 5th April.

It says:

We don’t accept the Office of fair Trading's findings in relation to credit card fees. We are concerned that the OFT has publicly called into question the setting of charges applied to other products including current accounts. The OFT has restricted it’s investigation to credit cards and made no attempt to consult with RBS or the industry in relation to other, entirely different products.

Anyway, they have offered to pay me back £809.00 as a gesture of good will

What to do?

It wasn’t the full payment I asked for, but it is more then half I what my initial claim for.

My question is, do I take the money, call it success for someone who was calling their bluff anyway. I didn’t really intend to go to court etc.

Or is there a realistic chance that they will settle up with the full amount? If so, what is the process, risks and is it worth it? - considering the offer I got back was more then half of the claim.

Thanks for any advice.

John

ok u should of sent the LBA after 14 days. it doesnt matter though.

it doesnt make alot of difference who u send it to to be honest. As long as your sending them and they are receiving them.

i sent mine to NatWest Customer Relations FREEPOST Nat 12685 BOREHAMWOOD WD6 1BR and got responses to both my letters within a few days. i'll private message u a step by step guide it should help u x

Thanks, btw.

No point. They offered me more than half.

I can't be bothered for another £500 - the process had bored me.

I've won, because it was me abusing their system gambling money away when I had only £10 of my overdraft left. There was nothing unfair about me gambling money on Football away when I knew I never had it in the bank.

Years later - now I've stopped the habit, and get £809.00 for more or less nothing.

Thank you Natwest. A great deal you've made. You should have took me to court - because I really couldn't be bothered and would have said stick it.

Thanks to this site also, for the help.

darthbane2k is probably right, but hey, so long as you're happy!!! :)

Well Done!!

IF MY COMMENTS HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Don't be like the banks - give a little back

:D NAT WEST - WON - £4282.36:D

Please don't give up yet!! If you send the letter in the templates saying you will persue the full amount they will give in. You must persevere, that past 2 days on GMTV have had people who have gone all the way and see how many millions watch that. There was a guy from a bank who could not defend thet large amount for charges and was talked down. There is over 10,000 people engaged in the various websites. I'm on low income and want my money back!! If it's not too late keep the going.

Hunbun;)