• Tweets

• Please see my comments in orange within your post.
    • no i meant the email from parcel2go which email address did they send it from and who signed it off (whos name is at the bottom)
    • I understand confusion with this thread.  I tried to keep threads separate because there have been so many angles.    But a team member merged them all.  This is why it's hard to keep track. This forum exists to help little people fight injustice - however big or small.  Im here to try get a decent resolution. Not to give in to the ' big boys'. My "matter' became complicated 'matters' simply because a lender refused to sell a property. What can I say?  I'll try in a nutshell to give an overview: There's a long lease property. I originally bought it short lease with a s.146 on it from original freeholder.  I had no concerns. So lender should have been able to sell a well-maintained lovely long lease property.  The property was great. The issue is not the property.  Economy, sdlt increases, elections, brexit, covid, interest hikes etc didn't help.  The issue is simple - the lender wanted to keep it.   House or Flat? Before repo I offered to clear my loan.  I was a bit short and lender refused.  They said (recorded) they thought the property was worth much more and they were happy to keep accruing interest (in their benefit) until it reached a point where they felt they could repo and still easily quickly sell to get their £s back.  This was a mistake.  The market was (and is) tough.   2y later the lender ceo bid the same sum to buy the property for himself. He'd rejected higher offers in the intervening period whilst accruing interest. Lenders have a legal obligation to sell the property for the best price they can get. If they feel the offer is low they won't sell it, because it's likely the borrower will say the same. I had the property under offer to a fantastic niche buyer but lender rushed to repo and buyer got spooked and walked.  It had taken a long time to find such a lucrative buyer.  A sale which would have resulted in £s and another asset for me. Post repo lender had 1 offer immediately.  But dragged out the process for >1y - allegedly trying to get other offers. But disclosure shows there was only one valid buyer. Again, points as above. Lender appointed receiver (after 4 months) - simply to try acquire the freehold.  He used his powers as receiver to use me, as leaseholder, to serve notice on freeholders.  Legally that failed. Meanwhile lender failed to secure property - and squatters got in (3 times).  And they failed to maintain it.  So freeholders served a dilapidations notice (external) - on me as leaseholder (cc-ed to lender).   (That's how it works legally) Why serve a delapidations notice? If it's in the terms of the lease to maintain the property to a good standard, then serve an S146 notice instead as it's a clear breach of the lease. I don't own the freehold.  But I am a trustee and have to do right by the freeholders.  This is where matters got/ get complicated.  And probably lose most caggers.   Lawyers got involved for the freeholders to firstly void the receiver enfranchisement notice. Secondly, to serve the dilapidations notice.  The lack of maintenance was in breach of lease and had to be served to protect fh asset. Enfranchisement isn't something that can be "voided", it's in the Leasehold Reform Act 1967 that leaseholders have the right to buy the freehold of the property. It's normal, whether it is a "normal" leaseholder or a repossession with a leasehold house, to claim this right of enfranchisement and sell the property with said rights attached and the purchase price of the freehold included in the final completion price. That's likely what the mortgage provider wished to do. The lender did no repairs. They said a buyer would undertake them. Which was probably correct. If they had sold. After 1y lender finally agreed to sell to the 1st offeror and contracts went with lawyers.  Within 1 month lender reneged.  Lender tried to suggest buyer walked. Evidence shows he/ his lawyers continued trying to exchange (cash) for 4 months.  Evidence shows lender and receiver strategy had been to renege and for ceo to take control.   I still think that's their plan. Redact and scan said evidence up for others to look at? Lender then stupidly chose to pretty much bulldoze the property.  Other stuff was going on in the background. After repo I was in touch by phone and email and lender knew post got to me.   Despite this, after about 10 months (before and then during covid), they deliberately sent SDs and eventually a B petition to an incorrect address and an obscure small court.  They never served me properly.  (In hindsight I understand they hoped to get a backdoor B - so they could keep the property that way.)  Eventually the random court told them to email me by way of service.  At this point their ruse to make me B failed.  I got a lawyer (friend paid). The B petition was struck out. They’d failed to include the property as an asset. They were in breach of insolvency rules. So this is dealt with then. Simultaneously the receiver again appointed lawyers to act on my behalf as leaseholder. This time to serve notice on the freeholders for a lease extension.  He had hoped to try and vary the strict lease. Evidence shows the already long length of lease wasn't an issue.  The lender obviously hoped to get round their lack of permission to do works (which they were already doing) by hoping to remove the strict clauses that prevent leaseholder doing alterations.  You wouldn't vary a lease through a lease extension. You'd need a Deed of Variation for that. This may be done at the same time but the lease has already been extended once and that's all they have a right to. The extension created a new legal angle for me to deal with.  I had to act as trustee for freeholders against me as leaseholder/ the receiver.  Inconsistencies and incompetence by receiver lawyers dragged this out 3y.  It still isn't properly resolved. The lease has already been extended once so they have no right to another extension. It seems pretty easy to just get the lawyer to say no and stick by those terms as the law is on your side there. Meanwhile - going back to the the works the lender undertook. The works were consciously in breach of lease.  The lender hadn't remedied the breaches listed in the dilapidations notice.  They destroyed the property.  The trustees compiled all evidence.  The freeholders lawyers then served a forfeiture notice. This notice started a different legal battle. I was acting for the freeholders against what the lender had done on my behalf as leaseholder.  This legal battle took 3y to resolve. Again, order them to revert it as they didn't have permission to do the works, or else serve an S146 notice for breach of the lease. The simple exit would have been for lender to sell. A simple agreement to remedy the breaches and recompense the freeholders in compensation - and there's have been clean title to sell.  That option was proposed to them.   This happened by way of mediation for all parties 2y ago.  A resolution option was put forward and in principle agreed.  But immediately after the lender lawyers failed to engage.  A hard lesson to learn - mediation cannot be referred to in court. It's considered w/o prejudice. The steps they took have made no difference to their ability to sell the property.  Almost 3y since they finished works they still haven't sold. ** ** I followed up some leads myself.  A qualified cash buyer offered me a substantial sum.  The lender and receiver both refused it.   I found another offer in disclosure.  6 months later someone had apparently offered a substantial sum via an agent.  The receiver again rejected it.  The problem of course was that the agent had inflated the market price to get the business. But no-one was or is ever going to offer their list price.  Yet the receiver wanted/wants to hold out for the list price.  Which means 1y later not only has it not sold - disclosure shows few viewings and zero interest.  It's transparently over-priced.  And tarnished. For those asking why I don't give up - I couldn't/ can't.  Firstly I have fiduciary duties as a trustee. Secondly, legal advice indicates I (as leaseholder) could succeed with a large compensation claim v the lender.  Also - I started a claim v my old lawyer and the firm immediately reimbursed some £s. That was encouraging.  And a sign to continue.  So I'm going for compensation.  I had finance in place (via friend) to do a deal and take the property back off the lender - and that lawyer messed up bad.   He should have done a deal.  Instead further years have been wasted.   Maybe I only get back my lost savings - but that will be a result.   If I can add some kind of complaint/ claim v the receiver's conscious impropriety I will do so.   I have been left with nothing - so fighting for something is worth it. The lender wants to talk re a form of settlement.  Similar to my proposal 2y ago.  I have a pretty clear idea of what that means to me.  This is exactly why I do not give up.  And why I continue to ask for snippets of advice/ pointers on cag.  
    • It was all my own work based on my previous emails to P2G which Bank has seen.
    • I was referring to #415 where you wrote "I was forced to try to sell - and couldn't." . And nearer the start in #79 .. "I couldn't sell.  I had an incredibly valuable asset. Huge equity.  But the interest accrued / the property market suffered and I couldn't find a buyer even at a level just to clear the debt." In #194 you said you'd tried to sell for four years.  The reason for these points is that a lot of the claims against for example your surveyor, solicitor, broker, the lender and now the receiver are mainly founded in a belief that they should have been able to do something but did not. Things that might seem self evident to you but not necessarily to others. Pressing these claims may well need a bit more hard evidence, rather than an appeal to common sense. Can you show evidence of similar properties, with similar freehold issues, selling readily? And solid reasons why the lender should have been able to sell when you couldn't.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Notice of overpayment help needed please

sourplums
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5188 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all i'm kind of new here and have a problem with an overpayment request letter i recieved this morning.

It's from the DWP debt management contact centre Nuneaton and says that i have an overpayment of Disability Living Allowance- care/mob for the sum of just under £4000,period of overpayment from 2007-2009.

It also says the reason for overpayment is- the reciept of more than one payment for the same period, also says " This was our mistake and we are sorry it has happened,however you have been paid public money that you were not entitled to and so we are therefore obliged to ask that you pay it back, we realise that this may come as an unwelcome surprise and you may not be in a position to repay in full at this time".

How on earth does it take them 2yrs to realise this and let any money i'm being overpaid mount to this worrying ammount ?

I am in reciept of DLA/ib/is at present and being told this has came as quite a shock to me, i can't also remember what happened two days ago never mind 2yrs ago and extremely worried sick about this, if i have been overpaid i am more than willing to repay pay it at a set ammount, but what angers me is the ammount of time it took them to realise this and i am not the one who made the error, but making me feel like i have done something wrong when i haven't.

I have contacted my local money matters and have an appointment for hopefully Monday, i havent contacted the dept management place on the letter as i'm afraid they might hit me with alsorts of figures and dates which i wont understand, taking things in isn't one of my finer points and struggle with just coping with life which i find hard as it is, the mere fact that for the last few months i find it hard to walk over a bridge and have some not so nice thoughts and feel this will send me over the edge.

Any advise or pointers would be of great help

Hi sourplums, cant help you but someone will very soon.

Look at my recent post "A warning to anyone dealing with Tax Credit Recoveries"- it may give you an insight of what to expect when you ring them.

Be very careful with these people and admit to nothing.

Sorry sourplums, should have mentioned. The Recoveries Departments do not keep records so cannot help you or offer information anyway.

The experience I had is that it is their sole intention to do nothing more than get you to admit liability in a recorded phone call.

Since my post I have met someone who fell for it - and it was a very similar conversation to the one I had. I left them boiling though

Hi merlin and thanks for the quick reply, the fact is that if i have been overpaid and owe them money i will except that, i don't want to sound like i'm trying to avoid paying by sounding angry about the time it has taken them and if overpaid then it would be my duty to repay it if i wasn't entitled to it.

My daughter has tried doing the maths, has worked out i'm getting care middle rate and mobility low rate since i was awarded it a few years ago, it is also an indefinate award which i was awarded last year.

What my daughter is concerned about is my income support award, i was getting £64pw for this and in the last couple of months i recieved a letter saying a wasn't entitled to it and recieved another letter(sorry can't remember what it's called) a couple of weeks later to apply for something similar, was then awarded it and seems my income support has decreased to £38pw.

My daughter seems to think the difference from £64 to £38 which is £26, if added up from the time they say i'm being overpaid comes to roughly what they say i owe them.

I'm sorry if i'm confusing things here but just trying to go down any route we can try and figure this out.

PS my user name isn't an indication of how i feel, but my favourite sweet.:)

Edited by sourplums

What rate of DLA are you on now? Did DLA pay you the correct amount twice or just the wrong rate ?

It probably should go down as official error

Your I.S may have gone down due to the above, the amount your daughter has worked out sounds like Enhanced Disability premium

Edited by MIKEY DABODEE

Tax credits methods have nothing to do with DLA. They are administered by two completely different departments and as such have completely different guidelines to work to.

You are not obliged to pay it back as they have admitted the error is on their part. They are obliged to request you pay it back, but they cannot insist on it. DLA is administered by DWP. With DWP if an overpayment results from an error you have made, or a failure to disclose then you have to pay it back. When an overpayment results from an error they have made (known as "maldadministration" or "official error") you do not have to pay it back.

The court of appeal upheld an argument by CPAG this year in regard to this. You can read more on this here: http://www.cpag.org.uk/welfarerights/overpayment-recovery/overpayment-recovery.htm

• Haha 1

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

What rate of DLA are you on now? Did DLA pay you the correct amount twice or just the wrong rate ?

It probably should go down as official error

Your I.S may have gone down due to the above, the amount your daughter has worked out sounds like Enhanced Disability premium

Hello Mikey,i get middle rate care component which is £47.10 and £18.65 mobility, i get my dla paid monthly and would have noticed if there was a larger ammount which there hasn't been, i have been getting this for roughly 8/9yrs now.

I was awarded indefinate payment last year, the period of overpayment is from 31/10/2007 to 30/6/2009, my oldest son done some maths last night and says the only money that adds up to that ammount would be my middle rate care component which would be £168 per month x20 but i recieved my normal money last week along with my dla, so surely if it was that, i wouldn't still be recieving it.

I have never recieved anything saying they are stopping my middle rate and there would be no need to as my circumstances haven't changed or likely too, only a couple of months ago i had to contact the DHS to get a confirmation letter to take to my local housing office to prove my income and what i recieved, the letter stated on it that i recieved both my mobility and care component along with my IB and my IS.

I am even more worried now that they have stopped my middle rate without telling me, but don't understand as i have been recieving it for a number of years with no change of circumstances, i don't like to burden people with my problems but just feel that i'm in the right place for some proper advise.

You are not obliged to pay it back as they have admitted the error is on their part. They are obliged to request you pay it back, but they cannot insist on it. DLA is administered by DWP. With DWP if an overpayment results from an error you have made, or a failure to disclose then you have to pay it back. When an overpayment results from an error they have made (known as "maldadministration" or "official error") you do not have to pay it back.

The court of appeal upheld an argument by CPAG this year in regard to this. You can read more on this here: CPAG: Overpayment recovery test case: summary and guidance for advisers

Thank you Erika, that kind of makes me feel less uneasy reading that and the letter does say" obliged to ask you to pay it back" thing i don't understand is the wording can seem quite complicated, the thing that's kind of throwing me is " The reason for overpayment is-the reciept of more than one payment for the same period " i can't make head nor tail of that or am i right in thinking they are saying part of my dla shouldn't have been paid even though for the last few years my circumstances haven't changed and have always had it since i was first awarded it a number of years ago, sorry to be a pain. Edited by sourplums

Basically instead of paying you one amount, they have paid you twice (or more). They are asking for it back and have admitted it is their error, so they cannot insist you pay it back.

If they are going to stop your benefit for any reason, they MUST send you notification as you would have a right to appeal the decision within one month of their decision, but they have to send notification to you for the one month clock to start ticking. They cannot stop your benefit due to an overpayment if it was an error on their part.

If you have a printer, print out that link I posted and take it with you on Monday to show to the person you have your appointment with as some people are still unaware of the ruling by the court of appeal.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

Erika is correct if they have made an "official" mistake through no fault of your own, then they cannot claim it back. I would appeal this but before doing that have a read on the regulations governing DLA type payments. Unfortuantley i do not have a link but Erika may eb able to pint you in the rigyht direction.

There's no need to appeal as there has been no decision made which would affect her. If they told the OP they were going to remove the money from her benefit, or alter her benefit in any way, then she could appeal as this would be a decision which affects her benefit. They are merely asking for it back, no decision has been made, therefore it's not appealable. She can write a letter telling them she is not going to repay it or she can ignore it. Either way she cannot be forced to pay it back. If she chooses to pay it back, she can do so but they would be obligated to accept any repayment she chooses, even if it was £1.00 per month.

Sourplums - keep that letter as they admit their error. Under no circumstances throw it away. If someone wants it, give them a copy, but keep the original - you may need it later.

The legislation on overpayments is set out in the Social Security Administration Act; there's nothing specific to DLA as this governs all types of DWP payments, but what is clear in the legislation is that this type of overpayment is not recoverable unless the claimant volunteers to repay it. Link to the legislation here: Social Security Administration Act 1992 (c. 5)

Basically instead of paying you one amount, they have paid you twice (or more). They are asking for it back and have admitted it is their error, so they cannot insist you pay it back.

If they are going to stop your benefit for any reason, they MUST send you notification as you would have a right to appeal the decision within one month of their decision, but they have to send notification to you for the one month clock to start ticking. They cannot stop your benefit due to an overpayment if it was an error on their part.

If you have a printer, print out that link I posted and take it with you on Monday to show to the person you have your appointment with as some people are still unaware of the ruling by the court of appeal.

I'm still unsure as if you say they think they have paid me twice, do you mean when for example my dla is due at the end of the month, they think they have paid me double what i'm supposed to recieve ?

Have never recieved any letter nor informed them of any change in circumstances as there isn't any to report, a few weeks ago they sent me a letter saying i had more money than the goverment say you need to live on and stopped my income support, then sent me a letter saying i could apply for severe disability premium which i did,then recieved a letter few weeks later saying i was awarded £38, i really don't understand that when they were paying me the income support for a number of years for the sum of £64,

Ps. Erica i'm a man not a she:) really grateful for this help.

I have never recieved anything saying they are stopping my middle rate and there would be no need to as my circumstances haven't changed or likely too, only a couple of months ago i had to contact the DHS to get a confirmation letter to take to my local housing office to prove my income and what i recieved, the letter stated on it that i recieved both my mobility and care component along with my IB and my IS.

Your answer lies there. What has happened your rate of DLA has not changed but it looks like IS and DLA have both being paying your DLA benefit.

For many years I.S would combine DLA and pay the DLA benefit together with the customers I.S This made it cheaper for the department, This stopped last year and now does not go on. What looks like this has happened to you, DLA have not realised that I.S and your DLA were combined and paid your DLA to you direct as well I.S had not realised that DLA were paying you as well and paid you your DLA combined with your I.S.

Therefore resulting in duplicate payments being made of your DLA. When I.S realised they stopped and this resulted in your claim closing.. You must have I.B in payment . Then you were awarded SDP

From what date

You may be entitled to arrears of that

Edited by MIKEY DABODEE
always

Ps. Erica i'm a man not a she:) really grateful for this help.

Woopsie!!

Cue one very embarrassed Erika. :oops: I am sorry, Sourplums.

From what you say here of what's in the letter:

the reciept of more than one payment for the same period

It leads me to believe they have paid you the amount they should have, but they have paid it more than once.

For example, let's say DLA was £5.00 per week (I know it's not - just for the sake of a figure we'll say a fiver). They say you were due DLA from 07/10/09 - 28/10/09. That is four weeks and DLA is paid at a weekly rate usually 4 weeks in arrears (though sometimes it is payable weekly). On 28/10/09 they issue a payment to your bank account of £60.00 (which you would normally receive into your bank account 5 workng days later). You were only due £20.00 because it is £5 per week. (for this example, not the amount you actually get) 4 x £5 = £20. So you were overpaid £40.00 in the period 07/10/09 - 28/10/09 because you received more than one payment for that same period. Instead of paying you £20 once, they paid it three times.

It looks as if they think that they have paid you continually more than one amount from 2007 to 2009 which has resulted in a huge overpayment.

I hope this makes it clearer - though I have probably confused you more. To anyone reading this thread, please note DLA is not £5.00 per week flat rate - £5 has only been used as an example.

EDITED to add - I agree with Mikey that something certainly doesn't appear right if you have been receving the same amount continuously since you began claiming and haven't been informed that your award is to be decreased.

Edited by ErikaPNP
see edit note

Definately, Mikey.

I am begining to understand what you are saying with regards to when the IS was combined with DLA however when the IS sent me a letter in September cutting my money after reapplying I have had someone tally up the shortfall over the 20 mths and it still doesn't add up. Why can't the DWP simplify letters and give a simplified explanation in the first instance? Can someone please advise where I go next ie.. do I call the number on the letter and what do I say to them as I really have no clue??

Your help is much appreciated

Thanks

Its sounds a night mare. I think your payment of DLA has been duplicated ie paid twice, once by DLA and combined with I.S

Its hard for me to work out figures not knowing your exact circumstances.

You say they have stopped your DLA care componant but I.S is paying you SDP, that should not be

I think I would take all my paperwork if I were you to your appointment

with your benefit advisor. They can look at it and see the full picture.

Its definately not your fault the over payment I would say. I cant advise you to contact debt but if you did I would ask them to send a fuller explanation to how the overpayment has occured and how the figures haven been worked out but admit to nothing

With regards to your SDP if you have just filled in the form and been awarded it, then if your circumstances have not changed then surely you must have been entitled to it from an earlier date. You may be due arrears. Welfare rights should spot this

Hopefully when someone has the full facts in front of them then they can

advise you what to do and help you get the overpayment written off and see if you are indeed entitled to arrears of SDP

Edited by MIKEY DABODEE

Don't call them yet - take Mikey's (very sound) advise and go to your appointment on Monday to see what they say when you show them the info. They may contact debt management on your behalf.

Its sounds a night mare. I think your payment of DLA has been duplicated ie paid twice, once by DLA and combined with I.S

Its hard for me to work out figures not knowing your exact circumstances.

You say they have stopped your DLA care componant but I.S is paying you SDP, that should not be

I think I would take all my paperwork if I were you to your appointment

with your benefit advisor. They can look at it and see the full picture.

Its definately not your fault the over payment I would say. I cant advise you to contact debt but if you did I would ask them to send a fuller explanation to how the overpayment has occured and how the figures haven been worked out but admit to nothing

With regards to your SDP if you have just filled in the form and been awarded it, then if your circumstances have not changed then surely you must have been entitled to it from an earlier date. You may be due arrears. Welfare rights should spot this

Hopefully when someone has the full facts in front of them then they can

advise you what to do and help you get the overpayment written off and see if you are indeed entitled to arrears of SDP

They havent as far as i know Mikey stopped my care component, i was paid my fortnightly money recently which included both care & mob,my next payment is my normal IB and IS or SDA whatever it's called, just so confusing, i can't forsee my money being deducted as there's no change in circumstances nor had any letters.

I was recieving £64 income support on top of my IB which they then said i was being paid more than they say i need to live on and stopped it, that's when they sent me a letter saying i could be entitled to this severe disability allowance which i filled in and they awarded me £38 which left me £26 out of pocket.

I know it must be hard for you to help me because you dont have nothing infront of you, but i have a few old letters as well as recent ones with awards and figures on them along with dates if that helps.

Thank you so far for the patience you both have shown to me:)

Don't call them yet - take Mikey's (very sound) advise and go to your appointment on Monday to see what they say when you show them the info. They may contact debt management on your behalf.
Erica, could i possibly if it would be alright print some of you and Mikeys replys off to take with me to my money matters appointment i may also be making an appointment with CAB at my local office and feel both your replys are very helpful and may help whoever i see, i always like to ask first rather than just take.

This subforum is publically accessible so there would be no issue with you printing off a thread. If you have any other letters relating to your benefits (such as award notices), take them with you also, as the person you see will be in a better position to advise you with all of your information in front of them, which we aren't privvy to.

The main thing you should print out is the link I gave you in regard to CPAG's court success, and the relevant part of the Social Security Administration Act in regard to overpayments in the second link (section 71), as these specifically would apply in a case where they have overpaid you as a result of official error.

Best wishes and let us know how it goes.

Good Luck Sourplums

hope all goes well.

Hopefully Ericas link will help with the overpayment,

I think they have just found out you are entitled to SDP and if your circumstances have not changed, why is this ?

You may be entitled to arrears and these can be backdated to the date that you were first entitled to it.

SDA and IB are roughly the same.

I can give you a calc if

a I know the rate of your IB

and the date you got the letter telling you that your claim was closing as you had excess income because of your SDA

Soon after they realised they had combined your DLA by mistake and that you were entitled to SDP

You must have filled out a form an IS 10

Your DLA should be paid weekly or monthly now, and your I,S and SDA fortnightly, they shoud NOT come together

Edited by MIKEY DABODEE