A Bit of A Strange Predicament to Be In

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5277 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK, to cut a long story short, i had a friend ( i now use the term lightly as you will see!!!) stay with me for a while this year, after he sold his house, and prior to him emigrating.

During this period, he retaxed his car online and the disc came to this address, so he must have changed his address to here.

Anyway, in the fullness of time, he "cleared the decks" as he put it, and went on his way, thanking me for everything and the usual "i will be in touch as soon as i am settled"

No contact has been made since that day, however, so i assumed everything was OK

Now i am getting letters addressed to him at this address, that, on researching the PO box of the "return to" on backs of envelopes are from various debt agencies.

When they 1st started arriving, and before i got that fed up with them, all i did was send them back by writing RTS on the envelopes, and sticking them in the post on my way to work. This was before i delved into any research, btw.

I have no idea where he eventually ended up, but i DO know he got on a plane to the Far East, as i took him to the airport, and saw him check in and go through to the departure lounge !!!!!:rolleyes:

This now leads me to my questions:

1/ How do i get them to stop sending them here and

2/ Will this put a black mark over this address creditworthiness wise. And, if so, how do i go about preventing that happening?

Malc

I used to be "plain old Malcolm"

Then i became contented

So now i am just.. Malcontented !!!!:D

contrary to what many think there is no address black listing. Provided you didnt have any joint credit accounts there is no financial link between you and your friends credit file will not affect yours.

stopping them sending them to you is easy - tell them this person does not live here. Now the average IQ at many of these places is a bit low so they may not cotton on.

- i still get dca letters for poeple that used to live here and I've lived here for 9 years!

Thanks for the reply:)

The thing here is, though...i dont want to give them MY info (name and so on) Like you say, they aren't the brightest buttons in the box

I dont know why i dont, but all i know is i just do.

I have visions of them sending me forms to fill in, wanting to know stuff i either dont want to divulge to them, as a metter of my privacy, or stuff i have no knowledge of and they will THEN latch into me, and start pestering for it.

Do these people have a sequence of events they use, and ramp things up, as it were, when and if they feel the need to?

Malc

Then i became contented

You don't have to give them ANY of your information. You don't have to fill in any forms or communicate with them at all after you've returned their scribbled, badly spelled ridiculously worded letters

I am a lawyer, but I am an academic lawyer. I do not practice as a barrister or solicitor. You should consult a practising Solicitor BEFORE taking any Court or other action

You don't have to give them ANY of your information. You don't have to fill in any forms or communicate with them at all after you've returned their scribbled, badly spelled ridiculously worded letters

exactly, does not live here bog off. If they ask your name = non of your business bog off.

- emphasis on the bog off and many of them

check your credit files with all three cra's do it by post not online

Bearing in mind that the CRA's actually own, or at the very least co-operate incestuously with DCA's, this action is probably counter productive and unecessary.

Although the OP is receiving letters at their address, the problem is caused by a different name, and so theoretically there is no financial connection to show on the file. It's far better to just ignore the morons completely.

If at some point in the future you are refused credit for reasons unexplained, then a CRA check would be a good idea because if the DCA has linked the OP to the alleged debtor, then you have enough cause to take action of your own resulting in a probable compo payout, and your complaint will have to be taken into account when credit license renewal time comes around. :)

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

it is never (IMO) unnecessary to keep a check on your credit record and where you are active on these forums for whatever issues you would be well advised to check them 6 months at a minimum

For normal personal security i recommend that EVER citizen checks his credit record every 12 months

it is never (IMO) unnecessary to keep a check on your credit record and where you are active on these forums for whatever issues you would be well advised to check them 6 months at a minimum

For normal personal security i recommend that EVER citizen checks his credit record every 12 months

Why??

Why ring the dinner bell if you've done nothing wrong??

I once knew a guy who bragged that he had never been to the doctor in 25 years....... he died from an undiscovered illness

identity theft is a growing scourge (after dca's of course)

I'm dying as I type these words.......

But I still don't get your point.........

I once knew a guy who bragged that he had never been to the doctor in 25 years....... he died from an undiscovered illness

identity theft is a growing scourge (after dca's of course)

My identity would hardly be worth stealing. Whoever used it to try for credit would be sorely disappointed.

Seriously though. I once checked my Credit Report and used a mobile phone number from a sim i had got that was never registerd to me or connected to me in any way. Within 3 weeks 4 different DCAs were leaving messages for me on that number. Coincidence or what!!!!!!!!!!

I'm dying as I type these words.......

But I still don't get your point.........

re arrange these words into a well known phrase or saying

sand in head attitude the :D

Knowledge is power- no knowlege = no power

i don't seek to cause an argument over it- its just that my personal attitude is to meet life and its challenges head on and to want to KNOW all that is to be known in files referring to myself

i accept some folks on here will have a different view and some others will choose a less bullish or confrontational approach to mine

thats what makes the site richer- a choice of opinions and strategies

re arrange these words into a well known phrase or saying

sand in head attitude the :D

Knowledge is power- no knowlege = no power

i don't seek to cause an argument over it- its just that my personal attitude is to meet life and its challenges head on and to want to KNOW all that is to be known in files referring to myself

i accept some folks on here will have a different view and some others will choose a less bullish or confrontational approach to mine

thats what makes the site richer- a choice of opinions and strategies

I accept that.

My path is to make profit from those who attempt to pretend 'Knowledge' or profit from ignorance or fear of the unknown.

I suggest we take on a few cases here - I will steer them away from Cra's - you can lead them into them.

What do you say?? -

Broadsword calling Dannyboy

"Wounds my heart with monotonous langour"

"John has a long moustache"

Yes, I accept we all have different opinions on how things should be done, but I do find it a bit bizarre that someone would be prepared to deal with a CRA knowing they are people behind the DCA's anyway. It just doesn't make any sense. Ignore the clowns. :)

Well, i have decided to just keep on sending their letters back, and wait for the next stage, which i assume will be a personal call to the doorstep (?)

I did a bit more delving about on the latest company, and it appears they deal in "low level" debts. Things like non payment of internet suppies etc.

But the most puzzling thing in all this is how they came to get this address as being his, when (i assume) he only notified DVLA of a change of address, in order to get his veihcle taxed. To my knowledge, he banked paperless and via internet banking. I always thought that DVLA only index things by registration details, and not name/address for retrielval purposes. And how come they can just give out stuff like this, anyway?

Malc

Then i became contented

Well, i have decided to just keep on sending their letters back, and wait for the next stage, which i assume will be a personal call to the doorstep (?)

I did a bit more delving about on the latest company, and it appears they deal in "low level" debts. Things like non payment of internet suppies etc.

But the most puzzling thing in all this is how they came to get this address as being his, when (i assume) he only notified DVLA of a change of address, in order to get his veihcle taxed. To my knowledge, he banked paperless and via internet banking. I always thought that DVLA only index things by registration details, and not name/address for retrielval purposes. And how come they can just give out stuff like this, anyway?

Malc

I wouldnt worry bout a knock at the door 9/10 its bluff, even if someone just called round just tell the to bog off

Oh, i aint worried about that, believe me :D

6' 3" and a grouchy SOB when need be !!!!;)

I just would like some clue as to who these "people" that can share my personal details are.

I always assumed (seems wrongly:confused:) there were laws protecting my privacy

The only clues i have are DVLA, but i think they keep records based on registration plates, should they need to access addresses. Or it could have been a bank that he used to deposit his windfall from his house sale in. Either one seems a bit "off" to me.

Malc

Then i became contented

Oh, i aint worried about that, believe me :D

6' 3" and a grouchy SOB when need be !!!!;)

I just would like some clue as to who these "people" that can share my personal details are.

I always assumed (seems wrongly:confused:) there were laws protecting my privacy

The only clues i have are DVLA, but i think they keep records based on registration plates, should they need to access addresses. Or it could have been a bank that he used to deposit his windfall from his house sale in. Either one seems a bit "off" to me.

Malc

I think you might be surprised.

DVLA sells your details to criminals | Mail Online

By contacting a CRA, you are willingly and freely giving your personal information to DCA's amongst others http://www.experianintact.com/content/uk/documents/pressReleases/LabourParty.pdf

Most DCA's are prepared to disregard the laws on privacy and data protection because the rewards are potentially huge, whilst the chances of being caught out are comparatively small. Even when they do get caught, they have a 101 explanations or excuses and it is never their fault. The penalties obviously not much of a deterent, and DCA's can actually drive people to suicide but still be allowed to continue. If you think the CRA's are going to let you check your own files in privacy you are sadly mistaken. Can we trust the credit agencies? - Times Online

"Wounds my heart with monotonous langour"

"John has a long moustache"

Yes, I accept we all have different opinions on how things should be done, but I do find it a bit bizarre that someone would be prepared to deal with a CRA knowing they are people behind the DCA's anyway. It just doesn't make any sense. Ignore the clowns. :)

i think that you have to "deal with" people at all levels if you want to resolcve problems

i am FULLY aware that the CRA;s are for the benefit of creditors- of course and nothing wrong with that- just as the CAG is for the benefit of debtors or customers

the idea that one should be afraid to find out what is in ones records, was in response to a post which said that to do so would not be a good idea because it might stir the creditor into action

better not go into the water until you learn to swim in that case!!

The proposition that the cra's notify any or all of your creditors when you make a search is IMO nonsense and a "conspiracy theory too far"

The proposition that the cra's notify any or all of your creditors when you make a search is IMO nonsense and a "conspiracy theory too far"

As an ex skip-tracer myself, I can assure they do. I have never made any secret of the fact I am 'ex job' and the site team (or at least some of them) know it. I used to enjoy baiting the trolls here because I can usually run rings around them, as my posting history will show.

It is very easy to put a flag on a file you are interested in, and if there is any activity on the file such as a search during a credit application, or the subject updating their own details, you will be informed. It's just standard procedure. Tracers will try the DVLA/DWP Pension service, neighbours, relatives .....and any trick in the book to secure a positive trace.

Take a look at Marc Ganders letter in the Times article link.

I spent several years tracing, but mostly for HMG. Naughty people who didn't pay their taxes or 'forgot' to repay budget/crisis loans when they signed off. It's far easier than what DCA tracers have to do, but I do have first hand experience, and I am very familiar with how that side of things works. :)