• Tweets

• Including Default Notice Andy? Ok, I think this is the best I can do.. it all makes sense with references to their WS. They have included exhibits that dates don't match the WS about them, small but still.. if you're going to reference letters giving dates, then the exhibits should be correct, no? I know I redacted them too much, but one of the dates differs to the WS by a few months. IN THE ******** County Court Claim No. [***] BETWEEN: LC Asset 2 S.A.R.L CLAIMANT AND [***] DEFENDANT ************ _________________________ ________ WITNESS STATEMENT OF [***] _________________________ ________ I, [***], being the Defendant in this case will state as follows; I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in this claim. 1. I understand that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct or bad debts, which are bought on mass portfolios at a much-reduced cost to the amount claimed and which the original creditors have already written off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income as confirmed in the claimant’s witness statement exhibit by way of the Deed of Assignment. As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights. This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information). The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party. 2. The Claim relates to an alleged Credit Card agreement between the Defendant and Bank of Scotland plc. Save insofar of any admittance it is accepted that the Defendant has had contractual agreements with Bank of Scotland plc in the past, the Defendant is unaware as to what alleged debt the Claimant refers. 3. The Defendant requested a copy of the CCA on the 24/12/2022 along with the standard fee of £1.00 postal order, to which the defendant received a reply from the Claimant dated 06/02/2023. To this date, the Claimant has failed to disclose a valid agreement and proof as per their claim that this is enforceable, that Default Notice and Notice of Assignment were sent to and received by the Defendant, on which their claim relies. The Claimant is put to strict proof to verify and confirm that the exhibit *** is a true copy of the agreement and are the true Terms and Conditions as issued at the time of inception of the online application and execution of the agreement. 4. Point 3 is noted. The Claimant pleads that a default notice has been served upon the defendant as evidenced by Exhibit [***]. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 5. Point 6 is noted and disputed. The Defendant cannot recall ever having received the notice of assignment as evidenced in the exhibit marked ***. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 6. Point 11 is noted and disputed. See 3. 7. Point 12 is noted, the Defendant doesn’t recall receiving contact where documentation is provided as per the Claimants obligations under CCA. In addition, the Claimant pleads letters were sent on dates given, yet those are not the letters evidenced in their exhibits *** 8. Point 13 is noted and denied. Claimant is put to strict proof to prove allegations. 9. The Claimant did not provide a true copy of the CCA in response to the Defendants request of 24/12/2022. The Claimant further claims that the documents are sufficient to pursue a Judgement and are therefore copies of original documents in their possession. Conclusion 10. Without the Claimant providing a valid true copy of the executed Credit agreement that complies with the CCA, the Claimant has no grounds on which to enforce this alleged debt. 11. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. On receipt of this claim I could not recall the precise details of the agreement or any debt and sought clarity from the claimant by way of a Section 78 request. The Claimant failed to comply. I can only assume as this was due to the Claimant not having any enforceable documentation and issuing a claim in hope of an undefended default judgment.   Statement of Truth I, ********, the Defendant, believe the facts stated within this Witness Statement to be true. I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in it’s truth. Signed: _________________________ _______ Dated: _____________________
    • AMEX and TSB the 2 Creditors who you need to worry about the least, ever!  Just stop paying them and forget about it, ignore all their threat o gram letters.  Only if, and with these 2 it's a massive if, you end up with a claim form you need to respond, and there will be plenty of help here.
    • No, nothing from Barclays. Turns out i have 2 accounts on here, and i posted originally on the other one. Sorry about that.  
    • Always send with proof of posting from your Post Office, so there is a trail. Conversations , are designed to intimidate into paying, Emails are designed as another way of bombarding. Only EVER communicate in writing, by post.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

I'm Being Investigated Please Help

Scaredgirl
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5275 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I received a letter through my door a couple of days ago from the council tax benefit investigations service saying they called to visit me. I rang the number on the letter straight away and the person i spoke to said they believed 2 other people to be living with me which is crazy!!.

My story is this up until december 2007 me and my now ex partner had always paid regular council tax. In december 2007 he left and as i was caring for my severely disabled and terminally ill son i could not return to work. I have never received income support or anything i survived on his disability living allowance, child tax credits and my carers allowance and was still paying council tax but at a reduced rate. Then some time last year someone suggested i apply for council tax beneift as i may be entitled. I applied and it was granted.

Then at the end of january this year my son died. I rang all agencies straight away telling them my circumstances had changed etc. I tohught i had informed everyone until i received a new council tax benefit letter in april and then i realised i hadnt told them but was not worried as i knew i would still have been entitled.

As it happens i was just about to start work anyway so i informed them that i was starting work and also that my other son had died and they asked me to send them lots of info as i could still be entitled to help as i was on a low part time wage so i went into the office and they copied my wage slips and my sons nursery receipts, my mortgage details, child tax credit forms etc and never heard back from them so i assumed i was still entitled.

So now im worried its because of this althugh i gave them ALL information they asked for and have the receipt for it.

Anyway thats one part. The second part is that i have been seeing someone for a couple of months and they do spend most of their time here although he gives me no money towards house/food etc and i can prove this with bank statements. When this person comes round to ask me questions (as they said they will next week) if they query is my boyfriend living here i feel happy to say no but then will they ask me where he IS living? In that case it means telling them he lives at his mums although i know she has not been paying council tax for him either so it will drop her in it. In fact he has had a few different addresses in the past few years and never paid any council tax so he will get dropped in it also.

When they ask questions should i just be truthful and say yes he has been spending most nights here and that he basically does live here? does that mean that i have done something wrong even though i receive no money??.

As for who the second person could be who apparently lives with me i have NO clue as i never even have friends round! The only thing i can think of is that i still recieve some letters from the people who used to live here 4 years ago although i keep sending them back saying not known at this address, could that be it??.

Anyway i just wanted an honest opinion of what is going to happen to me and what i should do

Thankyou

Hi there.

In your case, if your boyfriend is there most nights, and is "basically living here" then it is definately a possibility that you would be considered as partners for benefit purposes and, if they were to decide this to be the case, it would be considered that you have committed benefit fraud by failing to declare a change in circumstances, regardless of whether he gives you money or not. When investigating such claims, the investigators must look at the relationship as a whole, not solely the number of nights he stays over.

His mum's benefit claim would be affected by his staying there if that was his main residence, as the council make what is known as "non dependent deductions" to your benefit if you have another adult living with you in the house who is a non dependent. This is again, regardless of whether or not he actually pays her any money. If his mum does not get council tax benefit or discount and pays full council tax, it wouldn't affect her. Council tax is a tax paid on the the address, not per person.

We cannot advise you what to say or do, that is something you need to decide yourself but those are the two possibilities.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Scaredgirl

Just wanted to say I hope it all works out for you.

It sounds like you have had a difficult time with the death of your son.

Keep strong and I am sure it will all work out ok .

Perhaps the Citizens advice may help you , at least they may let you know what your rights are regarding having support at the interview, what information you need to provide etc.

Take Care

Regards

Marg

• 2 weeks later...

In your case, if your boyfriend is there most nights, and is "basically living here" then it is definately a possibility that you would be considered as partners for benefit purposes and, if they were to decide this to be the case, it would be considered that you have committed benefit fraud by failing to declare a change in circumstances, regardless of whether he gives you money or not. When investigating such claims, the investigators must look at the relationship as a whole, not solely the number of nights he stays over.

this is such a gray area, because if you look at it like you have wrote, what your saying is, that you cannot have a private life ie boyfriend or if not a boyfriend, you cannot have relatives visting from abroad or futher afield for example ie 2 weeks staying with you, I have been reading allot on this latley, and from what I have read, if that person/s has their own address and pays rent or a mortgage and pay council tax and bills from their own address, but has a boyfriend or girlfriend who is on benefits and stays over allot in their home purely for convience (ie distance maybe), surely that doesnt mean they are living together does it? because if that is true and dwp say it is, surely thats against human rights because it creeping into a person private life, you cannot take a person private life away because they are in recipet of benefits, thats uterrly ridculious and wrong!

How long can a boyfriend stay before it is suspected he is cohabitating? This seems to be a bit of a murky area. I remember - years ago - when the DSS brought in guidelines about this and - dodgy memory here - it was something like four nights or longer than they must be living there as they are spending the majority of the week there. By this I mean week in and week out. Auntie Mavis coming over for a three week holiday from Australia wouldn't, obviously, apply.

An even dodgier internet search shows the majority of people asked that question think three nights a week would be the maximum. I would be interested to know what the official idea is - if there is one.

I would have thought having proof that he lives elsewhere, ie rent documents, bills etc at another address is some proof but not total proof. After all some couples own/rent more than one property...

Edited by RaeUK
typoo

How long can a boyfriend stay before it is suspected he is cohabitating? This seems to be a bit of a murky area. I remember - years ago - when the DSS brought in guidelines about this and - dodgy memory here - it was something like four nights or longer than they must be living there as they are spending the majority of the week there. By this I mean week in and week out. Auntie Mavis coming over for a three week holiday from Australia wouldn't, obviously, apply.

An even dodgier internet search shows the majority of people asked that question think three nights a week would be the maximum. I would be interested to know what the official idea is - if there is one.

I would have thought having proof that he lives elsewhere, ie rent documents, bills etc at another address is some proof but not total proof. After all some couples own/rent more than one property...

That is the gray area, from what I have read on leaflets from the dwp, there is no written word on 'nights visiting staying over' in any leaflets or application forms etc, its only says in this respect living togther as a couple/husband/wife or civil partner. So if you have a girlfriend/boyfriend who stays over and you do things that bf/gf do, ie meals out, days out or shopping as per norm, seems the dwp see this as cohabitating or evidence as possiable proberbility, so it seems it is an official idea from the dwp to warrent it enough to make them think you are doing fraud if you claim as a single person and can call you in for an interview, from my experiance and from what I have read on others who have been through this, its all very very confusing, and totally wrong when you get questioned about your private life. I wish someone with some dwp legal knowledge on here reading this could clarify this area.

This is the offical guidance: http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/ch11-23254.pdf

There is no cut and dry clarification that can be offered because quite simply each case will be judged on its own circumstances. What can be acceptable in one situation can be totally unacceptable in another.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Hi scaredgirl i am being investigated too. someone phoned the fraud hotline and told them my boyfriend was living with me. Some people stoop so low to ruin things for others a. I am not claiming any benefit that i am not entitled to. My boyfriend stays over sometimes but does not live with me. Its ridiculous that if you are on benefits you cannot have your partner staying over. He doesnt help towards rent or bills this all comes out of my bank my statements prove this. I dont know what to do its just a waiting game now to see what happens next.

Why do we have to declare we have boyfriends thats private!

T x