• Tweets

• Speeding "tickets" are not like parking tickets. They cannot be appealed.  No you won't get one of them cancelled. They were two days apart and so will be treated as separate offences. If your speed was 53mph or below you will be offered a course for one of them (cost of about £100 but no points). For the other you will be offered a fixed penalty (£100 and three points). If you want to decline either of those offers the alternative is prosecution in court, where the financial penalty will be considerably higher. Make sure you respond to the "requests for driver's details" within the 28 days allowed. Failure to do so will see you commit a more serious offence which carries a hefty fine, six points, and an endorsement code which will see your insurance premiums double. Also make sure you submit your driving licence details if you accept a fixed penalty.
    • So if I've understood correctly, you had a meeting with a company who employ PPM to manage their car park, but PPM gave you a ticket and the company refuse to get it cancelled.  Eh???!!! You are being somewhat secretive with the details and it would help us to give correct advice if you would be crystal clear about the story.  Who did you have the meeting with?  What is their address?  Why do you think it was them who called in PPM?  Were you informed about the matter of the permit by this company?  Etc.
    • What a disgraceful shirking of responsibility.  Par for the course though I'm afraid with Iceland. You could get nasty and send them a version of the below (you know the local area so change what needs to be changed). Unfortunately the people who are replying are having to comply with the company policy which is being foisted on them - which is not to cancel tickets. But you might as well send the mail and try.   Dear Cissy, thank you for today's mail. Of course you are "able" to cancel the charge, you simply contact Excel and tell them to cancel the charge. I will wait for exactly 24 hours and then contact the local newspaper XXXXX and the local radio station XXXXX about Iceland's disgraceful disability discrimination.  Nothing much happens in Gravesend so I'm sure both will be happy to do a piece which will generate terrible publicity for your store and drive away customers, which is exactly what you deserve. Yours, XXXXX 
    • You are absolutely right to be cautious. It would be helpful if you will be prepared to send me a private message containing details of the outlet and the address et cetera. It might help me to get things more into perspective. So I understand that you had a business selling your husband's photographs. You were unable to continue your direct involvement and so you made an arrangement with a manager who you trusted to carry on the business for you while you were recovering elsewhere in the country. Is this correct? This manager has possession of all the files of your husband's photographs. Is this correct? Do you have any copies of the files? You made a reference to having a Co-op. Does that mean that you are running a Co-op supermarket or groceries outlet? I don't quite understand here. In terms of the possibility of continuing the arrangement with this manager – my own view is that you need to bring the arrangement to an end and I don't see how you could trust them. As far as I can see you are asking about two issues. Making sure that the files in the manager's position are destroyed so that you regain control of the photographs. Obtaining some damages for the loss of revenue. How many photographs do you believe are in his possession? What you estimate is your loss of revenue so far – probably calculated on your average revenue over, say, the five years before you stopped your involvement in the business? You are talking here not only about a breach of contract. You are talking also about breach of copyright and frankly you're also talking about deliberate copyright infringement – which is a criminal offence. Also fraud. Additionally, if you begin the dispute with this person, I would say that they will probably leave immediately. Have you got somebody else to run the business or would that be the moment that the whole thing collapses? If it is the latter, then this is something else that you need to prepare – somebody to take over as seamlessly as possible   Also, do you know the address of this person – and do they own their own home or any other assets?  
    • Just as i thought (from above post) : i just hope this is not the normal customer service that say they cant do anything and that you have to appeal to excel parking 🙄 this is the response my friend has received today - totally ignoring the subject which was: 'victim of disability discrimination on the part of your agents' does anyone have any ideas to reply with please?     Thank you for your response.   I would like to apologise for the error in the previous email; our CEO, Tarsem Dhaliwal had received your email and tasked ourselves in the Executive Resolution Team with looking into this.   We have raised this with our internal property department who have more information on parking charges and any appeals, we can see that you had appealed the PCN with excel which was rejected, you then appealed the PCN with IAS which was also rejected.   Because of this, we would not be able to cancel or refund the charge.    I understand this may not be the outcome you had hoped for, I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.   Kind regards, Cissy
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Coucil tax advice needed urgently

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5325 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My flatmates and I were on a payment plan which I didn't know about, the task of paying the council tax was then given to me, I was a few days late and we got a letter saying it had been moved over to Pheonix baliffs this was dated Monday November 9th. The letter from the baliff says:

Arrears due to authority: £199.94

fees to date: £42.50

total: £242.44

I tried desperatly to contact the baliff all day Tuesday but had no luck, finally Wednsday I did and he said our total was £362.44. I said we didn't have that and could we pay half now and half in 2 weeks, he said no we're coming to get your stuff. This was horribly upsetting as you can imagine. By this time CAB was closed and we were at a loss.

My urgent question is this: a good friend of mine who has issues with the council before suggests that we pay the council tax ONLINE for either the amount we were supposed to pay on our payment plan (£150.00) or the £199.94 which is on the letter. She says even just paying the £150.00 would look good and then explain to CAB the situation. Will this work? I absolutly cannot deal with the baliff he was horrible and unreasonable and also we simply do not have that amount!

I'm not an expert, but the advice that I have seen is not to open the door to the baliff and don't sign anything. I think you need to contact the council and let them know how much money you can pay and work out a plan.

Hopefully someone with more experience will answer your question shortly.

yes you can pay the council online

Arrears due to authority: £199.94 i assume this is all you you owe the council in total

this is bailiffs fees for 2 visits if you have only had 1 visit then the fee should be £24.50

he said our total was £362.44. I said we didn't have that and could we pay have now and half in 2 weeks, he said no we're coming to get your stuff.

has the bailiff been in your home or levied on a car if not the fees are wrong

We definitely plan to not open the door to the bailiff I suppose I was just nervous they would say there were someone else and use that to get someone to open the door. We also have a houseguest staying with us so unless I’m actually in the house I’m a bit of a wreck thinking they’ll get in :/

Edited by Anin

yes you can pay the council online

Arrears due to authority: £199.94 i assume this is all you you owe the council in total

See now this is where I'm confused, we were on a payment plan because (I thought) we owed much more then this because as I said we had fallen quite far behund in the past when my husband was dealing with it.

this is bailiffs fees for 2 visits if you have only had 1 visit then the fee should be £24.50

Well this is the first letter we've gotten but perhaps the first visit was the first time we fell behind?

he said our total was £362.44. I said we didn't have that and could we pay have now and half in 2 weeks, he said no we're coming to get your stuff.

has the bailiff been in your home or levied on a car if not the fees are wrong

He has NOT been in our home and we have no cars. We have also recieved no more letters. I suppose I should call the baliff to find out why he's charging so much but he made me so upset and angry I would find it hard to speak to him to be totally honest.

If possible I would like to deal with only CAB and the council but the council said 'Theres nothing we can do it's already been moved over' it's unbelievale how unhelpful the bailiff and the council have been!

ok you are in a strong position regarding your bailiff because he has not been in your home and you don't own a car

if you keep him out you will be OK and the most he can ever charge you is £42.50

did the council take you to court for a liability order

get in touch with the council find out how much you still owe keep paying online

ok you are in a strong position regarding your bailiff because he has not been in your home and you don't own a car

if you keep him out you will be OK and the most he can ever charge you is £42.50

did the council take you to court for a liability order

get in touch with the council find out how much you still owe keep paying online

I have no idea if the council took us to court for a liability order as literally all they told me was that they couldn't help me it had been moved over. I tried to get more information but the guy on the phone just kept saying he couldn't help me. And as for the bailiff where does he get off charging the extra £120??? At the time I was pretty much crying (that is extremely embarassing to admit) but I was just so upset and everyone was being so unhelpful! If I had had the money right then I would have paid it, do they just play on fear?

yes bailiffs play on fear

i would send the council an e-mail and ask

the date of the liability order

the amount of the liability order

the date and amount passed to the bailiff

i was always under the impression the council had to have a liability order to send it to the bailiffs

did you get the bailiffs name is he certificated

yes bailiffs play on fear

i would send the council an e-mail and ask

the date of the liability order

the amount of the liability order

the date and amount passed to the bailiff

i was always under the impression the council had to have a liability order to send it to the bailiffs

did you get the bailiffs name is he certificated

I have the bailiffs name yes, I did the search and it came up as he works for Newlyn plc?

Edited by Anin

I have the bailiffs name yes, I did the search and it came up as he works for Newlyn plc?

a bailiff certificated to Newlyn plc cant collect council tax debt for Pheonix bailiffs

Really?! Should I take this information to CAB? Or to the council?

Really?! Should I take this information to CAB? Or to the council?

I would suggest you report this to the council. Do it first personally or on the phone so that they know about this as soon as possible and then repeat what you have said in writing, and make sure you keep a copy.

As for your question of where did the bailiff get his extra charges, the answer is almost certainly that he concocted them out of the blue because he was hoping you would be ignorant of the law! And, as others have said, don't open the door if he pays a visit or if you suspect any visitor is a bailiff.

Finally, treat the bailiffs with the contempt they deserve. In other words 'sack' them and deal only with the council.

The bailiff is at the door right now my flatmates have just told me! We're very nervous he will push his way in! I can't get through to the Citizens Advice Bureau and my flatmate has to go out to a job interview :/

I've given them strict instructions not to, my flatmate may have to sneak out the back door. I'm wondering if we should do as my friend suggested and pay online? This guy is certified with a different company as well doesn't that make a difference?!

This guy is certified with a different company as well doesn't that make a difference?!

yes it does

If your search reveals that the bailiff is working for a different company it is important to be aware that statutory regulations laid down by Parliament state that if there are "any changes" to the certificate then the bailiff must “without delay” give notice to the Court and a new certificate will be issued to him reflecting the changes. This is vitally important because in almost all cases, the bailiff’s bond will be cancelled when he leaves his previous employer!!

As I have said many times here on the forums, it is always the case that if you have a complaint about a certificated bailiff then this should first be sent to the bailiff company to address and a Form 4 Complaint to the County Court should wait until the company have had an opportunity to sort out the complaint.

As a Form 4 Complaint can have serious repercusssions for the individual bailiff, the County Courts also expect that the debtor should at least allow the company to have the opportunity to sort out the complaint. By doing this you will avoid being criticised by the Court.

There is a seperate thread in the STICKY section here entitled: "How to Complain to the Court about a Certificiated Bailiff" which should be read first if you are considering a Complaint.

PS: As the bailiff is working as an "agent" for the local authority, a copy of your complaint should be sent to the council as well and you need to ensure that you request that it is recorded as a formal complaint.

forumbox_top_left.gifforumbox_top_tile.gifforumbox_top_right.gifforumbox_left_tile.gifclose.gif County Court guidebook by Judge Patricia Pearl Follow this link to read the review of this excellent Small Claims Guidebook.

This comprehensive and very accessible guide will take you through the process of suing or defending a claim.

This guide will help you take control of your litigation and make you more confident about doing it yourself.

Applies to England and Wales

forumbox_right_tile.gifforumbox_bottom_left.gifforumbox_bottom_tile.gifforumbox_bottom_right.gif

We tried to pay online but I get this error: Details of the account could not be found within the system.

I spoke to CAB and have an in person appointment with them on November 24, they said the council is not allowed to refuse a payment which they did with me, they also said that the bailiffs had to back off while we seek advice. I called the bailiffs to let them know we were seeking advice and were allowed the time and they told me they didn't care and would continue to come to our house! This is so infuriating! CAB also said what I already knew which was that we need to make a formal complaint about this bailiff not being registered correctly which thanks to this forum I can do. So thank you so much everyone especially Hallowitch! I'm still quite upset that Pheonix refuses to back off!!! Also I have made a payment of £150.00 (which was our orginal payment plan deal) through the automated service and have a reference number so until the 24th I wait and work on my complaint.

Edited by Anin

I would suggest you report this to the council. Do it first personally or on the phone so that they know about this as soon as possible and then repeat what you have said in writing, and make sure you keep a copy.

As for your question of where did the bailiff get his extra charges, the answer is almost certainly that he concocted them out of the blue because he was hoping you would be ignorant of the law! And, as others have said, don't open the door if he pays a visit or if you suspect any visitor is a bailiff.

Finally, treat the bailiffs with the contempt they deserve. In other words 'sack' them and deal only with the council.

This is exactly what I told the Citizens Advice Bureau! Given that they had been, rude, added on fees and the bailiff is not properly registered I believe I stand a good ground!