Jump to content


Registered Users

Change your profile picture
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

63 Excellent

1 Follower

About FairPlay77

  • Rank
    Basic Account Holder
  1. If payment for work done previously is received after someone has started receiving Pension Credit, does it have to be declared? If it is declared, will the Pension Credit be docked?
  2. Could someone please help me with the following questions: 1. If payment is received from previous work after someone has started receiving Pension Credit does that payment have to be declared and will it be deducted from the Pension Credit? 2. If a person starts a part-time job while receiving pension credit will wages for that job be deducted from Pension Credit, or is there a certain amount that can be earned before deductions kick in?
  3. Can someone who is knowledgeable on pensions law please tell me whether Pension Credit payments have to stop at the age when a person would normally qualify for the State Pension or can they continue as a 'topping up' measure if the person concerns does not qualify for the full retirement pension?
  4. WHAT is the position is someone is (a) receiving pension credit or (b) the old-age pension?
  5. IT might not be much use to an individual but it would be extremely useful to anyone in the media investigating bailiff abuse!
  6. THERE is no need to be terrified. As long as you have not previously granted permission for the bailiff to enter your home, he is POWERLESS, and he knows it: that's why he was so angry when you spoke to him. If a bailiff or anyone you suspect of being a bailiff calls, do not open the door and do not even speak to them, and of course make sure that all doors and windows are closed so that he cannot gain entry. The charges he is trying to extort from you are grossly excessive. The correct charges are £24.50 for a first visit, plus £18 for a subsequent visits. Your best bet is to c
  7. British Gas are threatening to charge me £14 because I have not been able to settle my bill, despite paying £10 weekly. As this is less than they have demanded, they have taken me off their instalment plan and are demanding I pay the balance in full and have given me ten days to do so. My questions are as follows: 1. Is the £14 charge legal, or is it something that needs to be taken to the courts in the same way as excessive bank charges have beeen? 2. How can I, and others in the same situation, launch a legal challenge against British Gas over their excesssive charges? 3
  8. IF the council are stupid enough to send back your postal order, send it straight back to them with a note saying that you demand that they accept it for the year that you have specificied. And to make them see sense, complain about their silliness to your local councillor. In future, though, it would be better to pay them by Standing Order if you have a usable bank account or, if you have a credit or debit card, you can pay online.
  9. It seems from your first post that the bailiff only made one visit to your home. If that is the case, he can only charge for one visit, i.e. £24.50.
  10. IS there any way you can hide your car? If not, perhaps the best thing to do is to TEMPORARILY go on dealing with the bailiffs but, at the same time, gather together all the evidence you can about their unlawful behaviour, such as their illegal letter charges, and report them to the council, saying that, as the bailiffs have tried to defraud you, you demand that the council take back the account. If the council refuses, you can then complain to your local councillor and get him/her to intervene on your behalf. From what you have said, the correct bailiff charges so far are: £24.5
  11. I THINK you can take it as read that the £250 went straight into his pocket. Ask the bailiff company for a breakdown of your account. You need to be free of these vultures, so I suggest that you ask the council to take back the account and that you put them in the picture concerning the bailiff fees and your personal difficulties. If you have difficulty in getting the account taken back, speak to your local councillor. If you are eligible for a 20 per cent student discount, then obviously you should point this out to the council.but are you sure you should be paying council tax at
  12. MY understanding is that if, for example, a bailiff looks through a window and spots, say, a computer or TV and puts it on a WPO but it is not signed by the home's occupant then it is not valid. In any case, as the bailiff in such a case would not have gained entry, the WPO is UNENFORCEABLE. I
  13. BEFORE you do anything else, you need to find out how much the bailiffs are trying to charge you in fees over and above the amount owed to the council. The chances are that they are over-charging you - a common bailiff practice - in which case you will find that you owe less than you previously thought. Also, you need to find out whether the Walking Possession Orders are valid. Have you, for example, actually signed a WPO or are the bailiffs trying to charge you for a WPO you have never signed? And have the bailiffs ever been allowed into your home? Do you know the name of the bailiff
  14. THERE'S no law that says you have to deal with bailiffs. They are no more than tinpot private companies who happen to have a contract with the council. I would advise you to break off all contact with the bailiffs and start paying the council direct (they are not going to refuse your money!). Eventually, Jacobs will get the message and return the account to the council anyway. If in the meatime the company attempts to contact you, refuse to speak to them. They are not the police, and they have absolutely no hold over you (unless you choose to let them). Forget about them, and solve y
  • Create New...