Cabot Financial – Dealing with Cabot Financial

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4936 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Cabot are extremely nit-picky... I am having a lot of fun backing them into a corner over various issues right now. I think they work on the principle that if they stay calm in their correspondence, then people will get worked up. Unfortunately, this has worked in reverse lately... although they are still maintaining (in my case) that I need to contact the OC myself for the CCA..... despite them buying the account through an absolute assignment.

Even though I'm not obliged to, methinks they may need a CCA request of their very own as well then.... :p

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think yo need to see what legal precedents the Judge used in arriving at his decision and then set about dealing with these using case law and precedents to dismantle his judgement.

***Notice to GUESTS Crapbot may have won the first round of this battle but they wont win the war***

Well said ODC. Sorry to hear your bad news Beau - hopefully you will be able to appeal this decision, it certainly doesn't seem right. Consumer Law is there for a reason, and even judges have to recognise that.

Keep your chin up, it's not over yet.

Magda

that's awful scary Beau.

I love this site & without it I would never have had either the guts or knowledge to challenge the summons I received from Cabot, but there does seem to be a bit of pot luck in the advice you get on here sometimes, & it can happen at a crucial time, often leaving you floundering and confused as to whether you have made the right decision.

To a complete novice like myself, the law is a confusing minefield, and being certain that I understand a point of law is hard enough, without the prospect of having to argue the point in court when faced with a judge who will then interpret the same Law in a different way.

With the consequences of a wrong decision being so costly to people, it is scary that things like this can happen, and I'm sure it will put a lot of people off from defending claims.:(

My fight so far:

hunni2006 V Halifax Bank: Charges £963.11 refunded nov 2006:D

Cabot financial V hunni2006: defending court summons, ongoing... July 09 :-x:-x:-x don't even get me started about them....grrr still battling

hunni2006 V Capital One: SA request & CCA issued, ongoing.. July 09 OC 'checking the archives...' Sept 09, no agreement, files closed!:D

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< please feel free to tip my scales if I've been helpful!

:DLearning more, every day.....

I have No legal training, any opinions and advice posted are entirely my own opinion, and based on life experiences and knowledge gained on this great site. Ultimately, what you do is up to you.

Cabot are extremely nit-picky... I am having a lot of fun backing them into a corner over various issues right now. I think they work on the principle that if they stay calm in their correspondence, then people will get worked up. Unfortunately, this has worked in reverse lately... although they are still maintaining (in my case) that I need to contact the OC myself for the CCA..... despite them buying the account through an absolute assignment.

Even though I'm not obliged to, methinks they may need a CCA request of their very own as well then.... :p

Hi Priority One,

Your case is slightly different to what happened to me yesterday---It was the judge who took the lead and council for Cabot hardly had to say a word---this was not Cabot's doing!!! but I am damn sure they will jump on the bandwagon and seize the opportunity.

Absolute assignment or not, did not matter, I was told in no uncertain terms that this was not my argument and therefore I could not question the legality or enforceability of my so called "agreement"

Beau

Please note: I am not a lawyer and as such any advice I give is purely from a laymans point of view;-)

that's awful scary Beau.

I love this site & without it I would never have had either the guts or knowledge to challenge the summons I received from Cabot, but there does seem to be a bit of pot luck in the advice you get on here sometimes, & it can happen at a crucial time, often leaving you floundering and confused as to whether you have made the right decision.

To a complete novice like myself, the law is a confusing minefield, and being certain that I understand a point of law is hard enough, without the prospect of having to argue the point in court when faced with a judge who will then interpret the same Law in a different way.

With the consequences of a wrong decision being so costly to people, it is scary that things like this can happen, and I'm sure it will put a lot of people off from defending claims.:(

It shouldn't put people off defending (although I know what you are saying Hunni) because in that case, the creditor will just get a judgement against you anyway and we are then back to the old days when getting a CCJ was a foregone conclusion.

As far as costs go, that is always the risk if you lose if it's been allocated to the fast or multi-track, but I think it is always worth giving it a shot, although I know from first hand experience how scary that can be at times.

Cabot really do need taking in hand, like a few other DCAs I could mention.

Magda

Hi Priority One,

Your case is slightly different to what happened to me yesterday---It was the judge who took the lead and council for Cabot hardly had to say a word---this was not Cabot's doing!!! but I am damn sure they will jump on the bandwagon and seize the opportunity.

Absolute assignment or not, did not matter, I was told in no uncertain terms that this was not my argument and therefore I could not question the legality or enforceability of my so called "agreement"

Beau

It seems strange that the Judge opted to refer to that particular judgement and from what you've said, he seemed biased towards Cabot from the start anyway. It was indeed your argument, otherwise what's the point of a court system?

You're not the first to come up against a cack Judge and probably won't be the last... You have to remember that the relationships between courts, banks and the rest of the finance industry is extremely incestuous to say the least.

It's not right, but it's the way it seems to be.... which means it's left to us to battle on and show it for what it is.

Hi Priority One,

Beau

The judge shouldn't be arguing Cabot's case for them anyway, that is why they have a barrister to do it for them.

And it most certainly was your argument, that is a ridiculous thing to say, especially as the Assignment is extremely important - it determines after all whether Cabot has the legal right to bring the Action in the first place..

If you do decide to appeal Beau (when you have gone over all of the facts and know what you want to do) you might find r&b's thread useful. It's for an overdraft, but the claimant obtained SJ, and r&b is now appealing it.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/192486-court-claim-o-draft.html

Magda

It angers me that just because you were a litigant in person you were not allowed to speak. Had you have gone to the expense of emplying a barrister to fight your case I doubt whether a judge would have spoken over him/her

looks like I'm heading towards the courts then:( poor micro fiche app form 60% added and on and on). Thank goodness for the support here on CAG.

Chin up Beau, thing will improve.

Advice & opinions given by spartathisis are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.:)

for those who have read the judgement in its entirety there is ample evidence from the judge himself that this case concerned only the enforceability question of several aspects and nowhere in the judgement does he seek to alter the pre existing status quo with regard to an unenforceable agreement or defective DN and he made it as plain as a pikestaff that this decision would not impact upon a case in which there was an unenforceable CCA

Clearly this is appealable did the other side pre warn you that they were using mcguffin as authority? if so then i respectfully suggest that perhaps on hindsight it might have been a bit more than you could chew if you were not fully ofay with what the discussion and outcome of that judges decisions were

I am sure that a lawyer would overturn that decision on an appeal as clearly the judge in your case had absolutely no right to use ANY part of the mcguffin case in relation to the arguments in your case

as a general rule IMO if you are a litigant in person and clearly "losing the battle" because you are being stiffled out of the proceedings you HAVE to make a fuss

politely but firmly you have to talk over the judge if necessary and register a protest (on the tape) that you consider that you are not being given an equal opportunity to put your case. after all - you are losing so what else have you got to lose!!

at the end you should (again politely) but firmly suggest that the judge makes a full account of the reasoning for his decisions for appeal purposes (IMO)

for those who have read the judgement in its entirety there is ample evidence from the judge himself that this case concerned only the enforceability question of several aspects and nowhere in the judgement does he seek to alter the pre existing status quo with regard to an unenforceable agreement or defective DN and he made it as plain as a pikestaff that this decision would not impact upon a case in which there was an unenforceable CCA

Clearly this is appealable did the other side pre warn you that they were using mcguffin as authority? if so then i respectfully suggest that perhaps on hindsight it might have been a bit more than you could chew if you were not fully ofay with what the discussion and outcome of that judges decisions were

I am sure that a lawyer would overturn that decision on an appeal as clearly the judge in your case had absolutely no right to use ANY part of the mcguffin case in relation to the arguments in your case

Thanks for this support,

At the risk of hijacking this excellent thread in favour of mine, I believe any of appeal would have to be on the basis of my agreement being unenforceable--I would have to back this up with some case law??

which totally refutes the judge in my case's argument.

For the record I did register on the tape on several occasions the fact that I questioned the legallity of Cabots claim regarding the assignment and I also asked "are you going to allow me the question" regarding the assignement and at least twice I was told that my question was irrelevant.

Beau

Please note: I am not a lawyer and as such any advice I give is purely from a laymans point of view;-)

Just a bit further to the above, I was not prewarned regarding the McGuffick case and Council for Cabot approached me before the hearing and stated "that is a very good defence" and "where did you get it"

Clearly not good enough in this instance.

Beau

Hi Beau,

I think now that DD has made those comments you should definitely appeal. Being a relative newcomer I couln't be so bold to advise you to act on my thoughts on the earlier posting but now you have that by DD I think the path is clear for a succesful appeal.

Good Luck

Exasp

Beau, I believe that your case is an excellent addition to this thread, it certainly adds to the thread title!

How much will an appeal cost? As SH suggested on page 4 of this thread, perhaps we can all work together, and make a donation towards the cost of an appeal? I am sure that CAG members with the relevant case knowledge would help out with the defence? Suggestions anybody?

Keep your chin up, Beau.

Dibs :)

Don't know if i'm coming or going!

Thanks for this support,

At the risk of hijacking this excellent thread in favour of mine, I believe any of appeal would have to be on the basis of my agreement being unenforceable--I would have to back this up with some case law??

which totally refutes the judge in my case's argument.

For the record I did register on the tape on several occasions the fact that I questioned the legallity of Cabots claim regarding the assignment and I also asked "are you going to allow me the question" regarding the assignement and at least twice I was told that my question was irrelevant.

Beau

quite how he would know your question was "irrelevant" if he did not allow you to ask it is a mystery!!

methinks the cost of a transcript of the tape would be money well spent

there is simply NOTHING in the McGuffic case that can be related to an unenforceable CCA and defective DN or assignment (IMO)

Edited by diddydicky

Just a bit further to the above, I was not prewarned regarding the McGuffick case and Council for Cabot approached me before the hearing and stated "that is a very good defence" and "where did you get it"

Clearly not good enough in this instance.

Beau

again i am not a legal expert but it is my understanding that the parties cannot refer to any legal authorities or cases stated unless they give you prior notice of what they intend to refer to

i am sure some of the legal bods will comment

if i am right then another flaw in the judges conduct of the case i think

Hi Beau,

I think now that DD has made those comments you should definitely appeal. Being a relative newcomer I couln't be so bold to advise you to act on my thoughts on the earlier posting but now you have that by DD I think the path is clear for a succesful appeal.

Good Luck

Exasp

thanks for that but DO take care to read the footnote on my posts!! i am no legal expert!

I have had an alert on my credit file which shows that Cabot have made a search as an "unrecorded enquiry", so as a home owner, I am now expecting a letter from Morgans or the start of court proceedings for a disputed CCA. Will start a new thread if or more likely when this arrives!

Dibs.

Don't know if i'm coming or going!

We have discovered that Cabot are chasing us for an old Next Directory Account from 2002. PT has kindly explained how such accounts are completely unenforceable (due to the total lack of signed credit agreements) in this thread:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/200443-tactics-dealing-next-directory.html

The above is well worth a read for anybody who has an old Next account and finds Cabot chasing after them.

Obviously any interest and default charges subsequently added by Cabot will also be unenforceable.

However, I am concerned that they are going to start destroying our credit file, which was due to become pretty clean by 2011. I am wondering how they could possibly have a right to do this.

I will start a separate thread for this if it gets interesting. In the meantime we will continue to correspond politely.