Oyster card - Monthly or pay as you go

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5352 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'll be living in zone 1 but working in zone 3, travelling to work 5 days a week. The annoying thing is that the nearest tube stop to my place of work is JUST INSIDE zone 3.

Just wondering which is cheaper: to buy a monthly oyster card (zones 1-3) or a pay as you go oyster card? And is there any way I could get around having to pay to go to zone 3?

cheers,

sabatier

It depends on:

A) would you use the Oyster card at weekends

B) how much annual leave you have

C) do you travel inside or outside of peak hours

For me (Living in Zone 1- working in Zone 5) it was not worth me getting a monthly so I just top-up as needed.

The only other suggestion is to get out the A-Z and see how far the nearest zone 2 station is and walk the rest.

I would probably use it at weekends too, but just within zone 1. I only intend to work in London for a year; any holidays I take will be spent abroad. I'll be travelling between 8 and 9 in the morning, and between 6 and 7 in the evening.

I was thinking of getting out at the last stop within zone 2. But say I wanted to go home from the stop just inside zone 3, would my card work if I had only paid for zones 1-2?

I doubt anyone can answer this without doing some math.

If I were you id put the info into Excel and see what the result is, I did this with my train ticket to london, involving Zone 1-2 and after taking into account, days off, hols, sickness, etc I decided against buying a train season ticket and would buy one on the day, as it turned out I was made redundant and this decision saved me money, due to the fact that at about 9 months, annual season tickets for trains have no cash value.

The tube rules can be quite complex though, the off-peak and the new 'missing zone 1' pink oyster readers added to the complexity even further, hence using Excel. I had a quick peek at monthly oysters and they seem pricey to me, a standard PAYG trip and return a day works out cheaper but this changes if you use it lots at weekends.

Andy

If you have an Oystercard for Zone 1 you can use it on the busses ANYWHERE in London, regardless of the zone the bus travels through, this is the same for a weekly as for a monthly.

I would go for monthly as you are less likely to be charged for 'unfinished' journeys if you had a pay as you go - plus with a monthly there are quite often discounts for theatres and things.

I am lucky enough to get a free travel card which saves me about £160 a month from where I live (Zone 5).