Thomsons - treatment of disabled complaint

Jan4a
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5331 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

My parents recently went to Egypt for a week with Thomsons who were advised my mother is disabled. Everything went to plan and Thomsons looked after them until they were returning. They were just dropped off at Sharm airport and left to it.

My father naively thought there would be a Thomsons desk in the airport but there wasn't. This resulted in them standing in a queue for almost an hour (my mother sat on the wheely suitcase) with the result that my mother collapsed and had to be rushed to the medical centre in the airport where she was given oxygen - luckily she did recover and they were allowed to fly home.

I'm looking for advice on this before I write and complain. My view is that the Thomson reps on the coach should have ensured they were looked after and provided with a wheelchair before leaving, although my father did not specifically ask them to do this as he assumed there would be someone inside. It would have been obvious to them my mother was struggling to get on and off the coach.

The only reps at the airport were at the check-in desk. This was too far for my mother to walk in one go and my dad didn't want to just walk to the front of the queue. They are not very good at standing up for themselves and don't like making a fuss.

My mother can stand/walk slowly for about 5 mins and then needs to sit down.

What I'd like to know is how other disabled people are treated at airports by travel companies - is this a one off or common occurrence? am not sure because this is the first time they've been away since mum's illness.

Also, can the blame be put on them for not asking on the coach?

Hopefully someone who works within the travel industry will be able to help.

Thanks

Edited by Jan4a
added last para

Well, from your point of view, your parents are very important and you expect them to be looked after well.

From the reps' point of view, they were 2 amongst the many thousands they would have had to deal with over the season, and unless those persons made specific requests, there is no reason why they would have singled your mum out. It is Egypt, it is hot, people struggle all the time for various reasons from blisters to serious medical condition, so no, in all honesty, if your father didn't say anything or request any assistance, then I am afraid that it is down to him.

As regards wheelchair assitance at the airport, it is provided when request is being made in advance and there is a charge made for it by the airport which "rents" them to the airline and therefore, they are not there for anyone to use ad hoc, they have to be booked in advance.

If your dad didn't make your mum's frailty known ahead, I am sorry to say that your chances of getting anywhere with a complaint are probably next to nil.

For future reference, next time they travel, make sure that when they check-in, they make the desk person aware of the issues (both in and outbound) and ask for them to be put on the priority list for boarding. When it comes to airlines and tour ops, never ever assume and always confirm in writing any special arrangements so they can't deny knowledge of it if things go wrong. ;-)

I have been a rep for many years and disabled/wheelchair passengers take priority every time. However, we have to actually know who you are and that you need assistance. Even if you have requested assistance, you have to actually make yourself known to us. If you don't, how do we find you in a busy airport? If you are in a wheelchair it is a no brainer but if you are standing, sitting or generally look able bodied to the non medical eye, then what?

A guest in a wheelchair travelling with my company would never ever be left in a queue. As soon as we see them, they are immediately taken to the front, checked in and given assistance through to departures and onto the aircraft.

Did they ask the rep on the coach for assistance? Did they make themselves known to one of the many reps or airport staff?

I'm sorry they had a bad time coming home but reps and airport staff can't assist if they don't know who to assist. I can't speak for other tour operators but we take the care of our disabled/wheelchair passengers very seriously.

Loubychew

I am not a travel lawyer. All info is based on my own experience of working in the travel industry in resort.

Thanks for comments - I agree with both of you in that the first thing I said to them was "did you ask the reps on the coach where to go/what to do" and they hadn't. It is the first time they've travelled since mum's illness so they were clueless plus don't like making a fuss. If they had spoken to the coach reps they would probably have sorted it.

They are going to Australia in March so this was a trial run.... am wondering whether mum should take a fold up travel type wheelchair with her so they're not relying on others for help. But that would mean dad carrying cases and wheeling mum - I think I'll post on disability thread and see how other people cope.

They're going Australia with Singapore Airlines - I'd imagine they'd have desks in Manchester, Singapore and Melbourne airports that they can report to - plus I've booked taxi transfers so would imagine they'll be OK but I'll see if anyone else has travelled with them.

It is a good idea to take a fold up wheelchair. Not all airports have enough wheelchairs to hand and it does make a huge difference to airport staff in identifying who needs help. Also, you never know when your Mum might need it while there.

Your Dad should not be left to struggle with the wheelchair and the luggage, even here in Cyprus we have dedicated wheelchair staff who work for the airports who will push one or the other out to the waiting taxis or coaches. If they don't see anyone around they must ask.

I agree that many folks don't like to make a fuss or tend to 'play down' their disability but standing for long periods in a hot and busy airport is no fun so they must always make themselves known.

Finally, make sure that all concerned are aware that they need assistance, ie the airline, transfer taxi and hotel and that when their paperwork comes through it is noted their also. Something like 'wheelchair assistance required' or similar.

Loubychew

I am not a travel lawyer. All info is based on my own experience of working in the travel industry in resort.