Cabot – Citi v Questioner

questioner
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5046 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The official point of view is that there is an alleged debt in existence, just that it cannot be enforced through a court.

Though I am surprised if a DCA is being particularly unpleasant to recoup something.

My belief is that the FOS, OFT, ICO are all pretty much inactive when it comes to banks.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

FOS seem to think that constant collection activity is quite acceptable when they believe a debt exists - even when its legally unenforceable and is nothing more that an illegible application form.

This is NOT good enough as it is contrary to what the law says.

FOS also tell us they are NOT a legal body, yet their so-called adjudications (lol :eek:), in favour of the banks that hold crappy application forms as agreements, are in essence making a legal stance. They play both ends to the middle and, like the sharks they protect, they appear to be self-preserving, coterie designed to give lip-service to pressing consumer concerns. ONE WAY OR ANOTHER THIS COTERIE MUST BE BYPASSED.

This body is in my opinion a puppet for the banker and one that needs replacing fast. Is it any wonder that so many of us are treated like criminals when FOS gives the sharks such a message to pursue? Of course the banks know that FOS is their friend because they always tell us that if we are unhappy with their handling of a complaint we can always run to FOS… As if!

This cosy relationship MUST be smashed so that consumers get a fair hearing.

I note that others agree too.

Disgusted consumers turn on ‘shoddy’ complaints watchdog - Times Online

The Establishment knows how to pull the strings and how to quell dissent and hates to be proved wrong - hence these puppet organisations who we are told to run to in times of need. Of course every blue moon they suprise us by presenting a class case IN FAVOR of some desperate consumer. They gives the impression that they are fine and noble and the heroes to run to when banks get nasty - the truth is however in the opposite....

However, OFT recently helped to make a DCA cower down, say sorry and send a disputed agreement back to a dictatorial bank for me - so they are in my good books at present. lol..

:D

Edited by questioner

• 1 month later...
This is going to seem like a dumb question and one that I probably ought to know the answer to. Can the original creditor sell the debt without issuing a default notice?

Fred

Fred, this seems to have gone unanswered. It is my understanding that the account has to be correctly terminated ie DN then TN, etc prior to assigning an account forward. So you would have exptected Citi to sort that out prior to Cabot coming on the scene.

Eron

I was told by a guy from there that so long as they have one's signature on any old piece of paper such as an illegible application form, plus a few old bank statements that clearly equates with an enforcable debt according to FOS.

So you now have the FOS' guy's signature on a piece of paper, write and tell him he owes you mega bucks :D

xx

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-1295022.html

Post by pt2357

Originally Posted by make them aktiv runners

Dave is correct. The DOA is the actual contract between the bank and DCA. You are referring to an entirely different document, ie Notice of Assignment which is just a letter.

The Notice of Assignment can be a letter, but its not just a letter, IT MUST be correct for the assignment to be legal,many N.O.A's that we see on here the dates are wrong rendering them useless

W F Harrison & Co Ltd v Burke and another - [1956] 2 All ER 169 is a case ive been reading lately and its very informative on Notices of Assignment

"Held - The notice of assignment was bad because the date of the assignment was wrongly stated therein and, therefore,

the legal right to the debt under the hire-purchase agreement had not been assigned effectually at law within s 136(1)a of the Law of Property Act, 1925."

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/123771-validity-debt-assignment-re-2.html

Post 9 and 15

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Oh dear oh dear, if it is a true represntation / copy.. why have they put a current date on it ??

Still, you didnt receive the original and they would have needed to send this by registered/recorded post... and keep a certificate of posting / receipt as proof :D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Oh dear oh dear, if it is a true represntation / copy.. why have they put a current date on it ??

Still, you didnt receive the original and they would have needed to send this by registered/recorded post... and keep a certificate of posting / receipt as proof :D

Lol

I think if was just supposed to believe the pencil scribble at the top as the real date...:eek:

How do these peps ever get such jobs???

Nevertheless - I will tuck this away for a rainy day..

IT POSSIBLY IS BEST TO SAVE RATHER THAN USE SUCH DATA RIGHT NOW.. ??

• 1 month later...

I would suggest maybe also having a look/post on the Citi forum where we're battling away with them.

CitiCards - The Consumer Forums

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just stumbled on your Thread Questioner, very interesting. I'm being taken to court by a company called Capquest(thread below) for a credit card debt with Citicards .

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/269670-capquest-hl-legal-tastethediff.html

After reading your thread I checked the Notice of assignments send by Citicard(yes that is a plural) and they do indeed look "photoshoped". Having looked at an original letter from Citicards , theirs is much more professional.

Am I wasting my money in sending Citicards a Subject Access Request then?

Edited by tastethediff
typo