Selling a Vehicle on E-Bay- WORRIED !

Greenbear
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5384 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have recently listed a very popular vehicle on E-bay. So far 124 watchers. However, only 6 bids so far ( 2 days till end of auction ) I am very worried because the highest bidder so far has sent me his phone number, saying if he wins bid, cash is waiting. However, I am not very impressed. I checked up on his e-bay history. He has absolutely no feedback at all and he joined on the 13th of this month !

What should I do ? I have already had a nasty experience the first time I listed this vehicle ( 48 watchers and yet only one bid from an awful joker ( who quite obviously had no intention of purchasing ) he cost me a great deal of upset and a long two week wait before I could re-list.

This vehicle is not just about the money for me, it has very deep emotional meaning and memories attached, as it belonged to someone very close who died recently. Frankly I have had so many things going wrong in my life I do not want this sale to be yet another catastrophy. Do I tell this newbie bidder ( if he wins the bid ) to get lost ?

Well, that seems a bit unfair... After all, we all have to start at some point. I can understand your worry, but what will it achieve to tell him to get lost? You then would have to contact the second highest bidder and so maybe lose some money, so I would at least give him the benefit of the doubt until the end of the auction and just hope for the best.

(Next time, put something in the listing to say people with less than x feeback will not be accepted ;-))

Thank you, Bookworm, but just hoping for the best is not a good idea. Rather alot of E-bay sellers refuse to sell to Newbies because they consider them a danger. These people could possibly be criminals or get violent when you meet them. I would be taking a big risk on someone without any history to go on and, add the possible risk, to my general run of bad luck. I feel I would be simply asking for trouble. :(

You still have time to cancel this bid & ammend your listing. You should make it clear that you will cancel bids from buyers with less than whatever feedback (usually 5).

I understand your concerns but, as a regular ebayer, can only say that I have found the huge majority of buyers are perfectly ok. I recently sold a van to a guy who was a nightmare to deal with by email but when he turned up he was a true gent.

Please also remember to get him to write his details on the V5 which you need to post to DVLA & give him a signed receipt for the money & copy both documents - this covers you in case of them claiming later that they have not received the van.

Hope this helps to allay some of your fears.

Why not insist on people with PayPal accounts only can bid?

As above, if you amend the listing to reflect no newbies and no bid acceptance on anyone without a PayPal account then you're covered.

Also only accept payments from PayPal only!!!!!

srfrench :eek:

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink:

Why not insist on people with PayPal accounts only can bid?

As above, if you amend the listing to reflect no newbies and no bid acceptance on anyone without a PayPal account then you're covered.

Also only accept payments from PayPal only!!!!!

Im not sure if it applies but inisting on paypal for non-posted items is a popular [problem], person pays by paypal (either his or a hacked account), collects item, then complains to paypal that item was not received, as you cant show proof of postage paypal automatically refunds buyer, of course, cars are different because they cant be posted but as quoted above you must insist on some signed docs.

I too would be very wary of new members with no feedback, I know we all have to start somewhere but ebays advice is to built up your rating by gradually buying some low costs items from business sellers first, joining and suddenly buying high cost items, cars, laptops, phones, etc is very often a [EDIT], sad but true.

Andy

" Please also remember to get him to write his details on the V5 which you need to post to DVLA & give him a signed receipt for the money & copy both documents - "

Thank you, MKB, for the above advice. Is it usual practice for the person who is selling the vehicle to send in the V5 form ? What if the buyer insists that they wish to have the V5 and send in themselves ?

Srfrench, I really do not think it would matter if the bidders have a Paypal account or not. This would not in the least protect against unscrupulous individuals. Thank you Andy, for your support, I was begining to feel like a bit of a rat after what Bookworm said, but this world, or rather the people upon it are far form perfect so we have to supress the natural inclination to trust. I am not highly religious but I am reminded of a quote from the bible which says, " BE AS WARY AS SERPENTS AND AS INNOCENT AS DOVES " ....

" Please also remember to get him to write his details on the V5 which you need to post to DVLA & give him a signed receipt for the money & copy both documents - "

Thank you, MKB, for the above advice. Is it usual practice for the person who is selling the vehicle to send in the V5 form ? What if the buyer insists that they wish to have the V5 and send in themselves ?

Assuming you have the new style V5C, you will see the section on the right hand side in red with the instructions for 'selling your vehicle privately'. This makes it quite clear that you, not the buyer, are responsible for sending the form. The new keeper will have the 'new keeper supplement' (part 10) with which to satisfy ownership for purpose of taxing the vehicle as well as to show to police if necessary.

If you give the V5 to the new keeper to post, they may very well NOT do that & the first you might know about it is when you start getting speeding fines etc or a reminder for the tax due :Cry:

Hi Greenbear, i do understand your concerns, however just to throw a different perspective, it would be no different if the car was advertised in the local press auto trader etc, .. you never really now what sort of person is likley to turn up ..

i have never sold a car on e bay... but i have but one , and a bargain it was too...