• Tweets

• Oh yeah... So there is. ..    Hopefully it won't try to upgrade 😂😂
    • There's the ability to download origin for macOS Mojave and older right on the EA Website. www.ea.com/origin-for-mac      
    • Hello All, I was hoping for some help with a  Claim Form received yesterday 15h May 2024.  I have read lots of threads but I just want to check what I am doing. I have acknowledged service noting my intention to defend all of the claim and I have left the contest jurisdiction un-checked. I will today/tomorrow issue a CCA request with a £1 postal order to the claimant and a CPR 31:14 to the solicitor.  For the CCA which section should I use? I am not sure which section Paypal Credit would come under. If the claim was issued on the 9th May am I correct with my defence filing date of the 11th June? Is there anything else I need to do? Thanks in advance   Which Court have you received the claim from ? Civil National Business Centre, Northampton Name of the Claimant ? Lowell Portfolio I Ltd How many defendant's  joint or self ? Self (just 1) Date of issue –  9th May 2024 Defence filing date: Tuesday 11th June?? Particulars of Claim What is the claim for  The claim is for the sum of £255.69 due by the Defendant under an agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 for a PayPal account with an account reference of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)  The Defendant failed to maintain contractual payments required by the agreement and a Default Notice was served under s.87(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 which has not been complied with. The debt was legally assigned to the claimant on 15-09-21, notice of which has been given to the defendant. The claim includes statutory interest under S.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue of these proceedings in the sum of £0.00. The Claimant claims the sum of £255.69 What is the total value of the claim? £340.69 Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ? Yes Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred? No Did you inform the claimant of your change of address? Not applicable Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account? PayPal credit account When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ? After April 2007  Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? Online Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/Equifax /Etc...) ? Yes, shows as defaulted.  Registered when it was bought by Lowell Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. Debt purchaser Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? Cant find a letter that say so Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? Yes Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ?  Not sure Why did you cease payments? Financial difficulties and mental health issues What was the date of your last payment? ? Mid 2019 Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? No Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? No
    • In addition to the advice and questions asked by my site team colleague above, where did you get the template from which you used to reply to the letter of claim?
    • should have come here first really. What you requested was a load of irrelevant twaddle. What was the original debt? Have you moved since taking it out? If TM Legal are chasing, that should means that Perch own it now? Did you get the letter of claim by email or post? You should kill the emails immediately.   
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Howard Cohen/C.L Finance / **DISCONTINUED**

batman1956
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5277 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump anyone. How do I do a skeleton argument? Would it be similar to the defence except just the most relevant points? i.e lack of cca, statute barred, etc.etc.

correct

post one up and ill give it the once over

Thanks will this suffice or does it need more detail?

IN THE CASE OF HOWARD COHEN V MRS BATMAN 1956

CASE NUMBER XXXXXXX

I would like the court to consider the following points in regard of the above claim. I raise these points in an effort to save the valuable time of the court.

1.)The Claimant has sent to me a letter dated xx/xx/xxxx stating that due to the age of the account they are unable to supply any CCA as required by CCA 1974. A copy of this letter has been sent with my original defence for your perusal.

2.)It is believed that the alleged debt is statute barred under the Limitations Act 1980 as the last activity on the account was more than 6 years ago.

3.)The claimant has not forwarded to the defendant ANY of the documents ordered by the court at the original hearing

My full defence raises many more points for which the claimant has not proven either ownership of the alleged debt or even that the defendant is the debtor and I respectfully ask the court to consider striking out the above claim.

Dont let the parasite dca's prosper

• 3 weeks later...

Oh well Allocation hearing approaching fast. Cowards have still not sent any paperwork to us so we have sent a quick letter to the court manager to inform them. Looking at recent posts they have got a few bloody noses so lets hope that ours goes the same way. Their letter stating no CCA is available will take pride of place in our defence so fingers crossed this post will shortly join the others marked **WON**. Unless we get a DJ that goes against the common peception of CCA1974.

• 2 weeks later...

Allocation hearing at the end of this week. We have been informed that Cowards will not be attending but have asked for case to be allocated to small claims. They have still not supplied any paperwork to us as ordered by the court. In my wifes AQ we asked for fast track because we are of the belief that this would force them to declare more. Would there be any disadvantage to let them have small claims track bearing in mind that we have a letter from them stating that the CCA is not available "due to the age of the account." The court has told my wife to write in if she agrees to go with small claims but obviously time is of the essence any urgent advice would be welcome.

From what I understand the only advantage of small claims is the amount of costs.. they wont be mega bucks.

Usually small claims track is for values of under £5,000 and uncomplicated.

If I am reading things correctly, the account is

statute barred

paperwork requested by both you and the court has not been provided.

Cohen's arent turnng up (could this be because they know they dont have a leg to stand on)

Didnt Gazza112 just win a case where Cohens didnt turn up. That was small claims as well.

Only you can decide if you want to push for fast track, but I dont see any advantages in doing so.

HTH

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thought I would send this to the court any comments please.

Would this possibly make the court feel I am being a smart arse?

FOR THE ATTENTION OF THE COURT MANAGER

Dear Sir,

In respect of the above case due for allocation hearing on xxxxxxxx 2009 I am informed by the court that the claimant has asked that the claim be allocated to the small claims track in their absence at this hearing.

I Mrs batman 1956 the defendant in this case have no objection to this claim being allocated to the small claims track.

However I wish to make the court aware that the claimant in this case has failed to disclose to me any documentation on which they will rely on at the hearing and as such I am not able to prepare a fully particularised defence.

The claimant however has sent a letter to the defendant stating that there is no CCA document available due to the age of the account and this is fatal to the claim under the terms of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 section 127(3). And under the Limitations Act 1980 it is also believed that this alleged account is statute barred

In view of the above facts and in an effort to save the valuable time of the court I would urge that the claimant be made aware of the Civil Procedure rules and the possible penalties for bringing cases to court which have no merit

Edited by batman1956

Allocation hearing at the end of this week. We have been informed that Cowards will not be attending but have asked for case to be allocated to small claims. They have still not supplied any paperwork to us as ordered by the court. In my wifes AQ we asked for fast track because we are of the belief that this would force them to declare more. Would there be any disadvantage to let them have small claims track bearing in mind that we have a letter from them stating that the CCA is not available "due to the age of the account." The court has told my wife to write in if she agrees to go with small claims but obviously time is of the essence any urgent advice would be welcome.

Batman, with regard to your letter, having asked for information in your allocation questionairre, I dont think you need to put that into your letter.

I think all you have been asked to do is confirm that small claims is appropriate. Although, if you are going to a CMC, I would have thought that could be sorted out then ?.

I would just answer the question you have been asked in your letter to the court. When is the meeting ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

The allocation hearing is in a couple of days. My wife has been told that she need not attend if she agrees to go along with the small claims track as asked for by Cohen's. I assume that once the track is decided then a date will be set for the CMC where any documentation will be seen by the DJ. Is this correct?

The allocation hearing is in a couple of days. My wife has been told that she need not attend if she agrees to go along with the small claims track as asked for by Cohen's. I assume that once the track is decided then a date will be set for the CMC where any documentation will be seen by the DJ. Is this correct?

I would always recommend going to an allocation hearing. If the oppo turn up, you never know what they might try on with the judge. It also gives you a gentle intro to the court system. Small claims means they have to divulge to you a lot less info than they would with fast track, but equally you would be exposed to possible high costs should you lose.

However, you lose nothing by attending. If you are convinced of your arguments and the lack of CCA, fast track is good as it will either expose their lack of CCA or, more likely, result in a discontinuation. But that's only my opinion, from experience.

AAAARH!!!! Conflicting information, I realise that this is what a forum is all about but I have printed off a letter to be hand delivered today saying that we will agree to small claims track and my wife has agreed to work on the day of the hearing. I think my head is going to explode. If small claims track is set what could the disadvantage be the amount is a lot less than £5000. As far as we are concerned Cohen's letter states that they cannot produce the CCA and section 127(3) makes this a pretty good defence not withstanding the fact that it is statute barred etc,etc. It was the court that told my wife that the claimant would not be attending so should I highlight this point in the letter to cover her if they do turn up?

Well, if it's definite she's not going, then yes. Always make clear to the court why you aren't able to attend, and make sure you make them aware that you know the claimant is not attending. The best bit about being there is that you could ask the judge to make an order that they comply with the CCA request/produce the documents without having to fill in an N244 and pay £75!

Many thanks for your quick reply. The judge at the first hearing ordered them to supply documents and they have not done so. It would appear that they have very little to produce.

By the way hello guest.

Sorry, I should have made myself clearer. While the proposed letter is fine, the tendency is that courts do NOTHING with letters, never act on them! They seem only to do things when (a) it's on an N244 and accompanied by £75, or (b) if you ask the judge directly. Hence my personal view that it's always best to attend.

After all, there's nothing to stop them turning up even if they have said they won't (though that's unlikely). The point of an allocation hearing is that the judge looks at the submissions, asks questions of the claimant and the defendant then decides on the issues and the track.

Also, if you get the same judge again at a proper hearing, you may garner some advantage through having had the decency to turn up at the allocation hearing! Worked for me, certainly ;)