Jacobs Bailiffs Re: Parking fine from county council

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5430 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I got a parking fine on 3/7/08. and have not paid it (there are no car parks, and I was a nurse on call, just nipped in a shop to collect my mum birthday present, bet they were waiting in the alley for me!)

Anyhow, the fine has gone up and up. Parkwise, who have been after the fine, sent a letter saying an order to recover the penalty has been made by the traffic enforcement centre, to pay £105 fine and £5 court reg fee.

Then got letter from Jacobs to pay £122.88 ??? I rang them (i now know, not to do this!), offered 2 payments of £61.44. Then I found I could not afford this.

I received a further letter, if full payment is not received in 4 days a bailiff will attend! and further costs incurred.

Who do I wright to, Parkwise or Jacobs??

Cannot figure out how they got to £122.88?? They obviously have there own rules!!

Did you receive a Notice to Owner or Charge Certificate? If not submit the witness statement that came with the Order for Recovery (if still in the time period for doing so) and advise TEC of this. If you are outside the period for submitting a Witness Statement call TEC and seek their advice. You must take prompt action otherwise a warrant of execution will be granted and the bailiffs will come knocking.

I cannot afford to pay this in one lump, do u think it wise to wright to jacobs and offer an amount of £10 a week? I will send some money in my letter???? too late for a witness statement

Please be VERY CAREFUL because the bailiff company now have a Warrant of Execution which permits them to clamp or remove your vehicle to pay towards this debt and the visit fees will very likely increase the debt by a further £200 !!

A warrant of execution is simply their authorisation from the court to recover the debt. It allows them to seize goods legally.

Sadly, there is very little you can do at this stage. If you received all the documentation from the Council (did you??) then you have no real legal options I can see.

If you made a payment arrangement with the bailiff which you didn't keep (you mention offering 2 x £61.44), then it's unlikely they will enter into another agreement with you now - but it's probably your best bet. Try and be calm with them and make it clear you sincerely wish to pay.

As Tomtubby says, if you don't make an arrangement with them, then there's a chance they will just show up and clamp you. Whether or not they then have to release the car because of your work situation, you will be liable for substantial extra charges, so you must try and prevent that from happening.

Best of luck.

Spoke to CAB and they said that bailiffs for parking fines have no rights to clamp my car or enter my home unless peaceful entry is gained. They said warrant officers in regards to speeding fines have such rights, as a speeding fine is a criminal offense, but a parking ticket is not. Does this sound right?? Am so confused by it all!! thanks for all your help x x x

Edited by fransuzette

Spoke to CAB and they said that bailiffs for parking fines have no rights to clamp my car or enter my home unless peaceful entry is gained. They said warrant officers in regards to speeding fines have such rights, as a speeding fine is a criminal offense, but a parking ticket is not. Does this sound right?? Am so confused by it all!! thanks for all your help x x x

This link may inform you of what they can and cannot do.

Debt Basics - Bailiff Guide - know your rights

CAB are not correct. Bailiffs can and do clamp cars. If you refuse to pay them, they can tow it to a car pound. To rub salt in the wounds, they add on charges for doing it!

There are exceptions to this, but nothing to do with parking being a criminal/non-criminal offence.

It's true they can't break into your home though.

Short of there being any legal basis for you to challenge the warrant, then the power lies with the bailiffs in this case, and they are calling the shots. Sorry, but it wouldn't help you to say otherwise.

You really should start a dialogue with the bailiff about settling the existing charges. Don't let it get to the stage where they pay visits or bring tow trucks, or the whole thing could easily spiral into the hundreds of pounds and you could forfeit your car if you don't then pay.