• Tweets

• Good evening, so not a good weekend reviewing paperwork -- I have lost some proofs of postage.. also, although not provided at CCA, they have now supplied a DN in their WS, please see scan of claimants WS (without statements) Document with tick boxes as signatures doesn't look like an agreement and is split across pages. Documents have been stapled and copied multiple times looking at the top left of them. Aside from that, having read other threads, I suspect they have everything? appreciate your input please Sorry for heavy redactions, I noticed the paperwork was see-through LinkHalifaxCC1.compressed.pdf
    • Received a final demand today Final demand.pdf
    • Here is my final draft: I, XXXXXX, being the Defendant in this case will state as follows; I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in the claim and further to my set aside application dated 1 November 2022. The claimants witness statement confirms that it mostly relies on hearsay evidence as confirmed by the drafts in person in the opening paragraph. It is my understanding they must serve notice to any hearsay evidence pursuant to CPR 33.2(1)(B) (notice of intention to rely on hearsay evidence) and Section 2 (1) (A) of the Civil Evidence Act.   1.        The claimant failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis on the 2 February 2024 'The Claim shall be automatically struck out at 4pm on 3 April 2024 unless the Claimant delivers to the Court and to the Defendant the following documents.' None of these documents were received by the court nor the defendant by that date.   2.        I understand that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct or bad debts, which are bought on mass portfolios at a much reduced cost to the amount claimed and which the original creditors have already wrote off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income as confirmed in the claimants witness statement exhibit by way of the Deed of Assignment.   As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights.  This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information).  The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party.   3.        The alleged letter of claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address.  I have attached a copy of my tenancy agreement which is marked ‘Appendix 1’ and shows I was residing at a difference address as of 11 December 2018 and was therefore not at the service address at the time the proceedings were served.  I have also attached an email from my solicitors to the Claimants solicitors dated 14 July 2022 which was sent to them requesting that they disclose the trace of evidence they utilised prior to issuing the proceedings against me.  This is marked ‘Appendix 2’.  The claimants solicitors did not provide me with these documents.   4.        Under The Pre-Action Protocol for Debt Claims 2017 a Debt Buyer must undertake all reasonable enquiries to ensure the correct address of a debtor, this can be as simple as a credit file search. The Claimant failed to carry out such basic checks. Subsequently all letters prior to and including ,The Pre action Protocol letter of claim dated 7 January 2020 and the claim form dated 14th February 2020 were all served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018.   5.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020.   6.        Upon the discovery of the Judgement debt, I made immediate contact with the Court and the Claimant Solicitors, putting them on notice that I was making investigations in relation to the Judgement debt as it was not familiar to me.  I asked them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.   The correspondence to the Claimant Solicotors is attached and marked ‘Appendix 3’   7.        I then sent a Data Subject Access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided. Details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclays are attached and marked ‘Appendix 4’and the copies of correspondence between myself and Barclays are attached and marked ‘Appendix 5’.   8.        The claimant relies upon and exhibits a reconstituted version of the alleged agreement.   It is again denied that I have ever entered into an agreement with Barclaycard on or around 2000.  It is admitted that I did hold other credit agreements with other creditors and as such should this be a debt that was assigned to Barclaycard from another brand therefore the reconstituted agreement disclosed is invalid being pre April 2007 and not legally enforceable pursuant to HH Judge Waksman in Carey v HSBC 2009 EWHC3417.  Details of this are attached and marked ‘Appendix 6’.   The original credit agreement must be provided along with any reconstituted version on a modified credit agreement and must contain the names and address of debtor and creditor, agreement number and cancelation clause.   9.        Therefore the claimant is put to strict proof to disclose a true executed legible agreement on which its claim relies upon and not try to mislead the court.   10.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. Until such time the claimant can comply and disclose a true executed copy of the original assigned agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim they are not entitled while the default continues, to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth. Signed                 ………………………………………………….. Name                  XXXX Date                     30 April 2024
    • Only trying to help.  Ain't being nasty.  Some
    • Hi folks, I've just found previous documentation. I thought it had gone missing. I'd forgotten that I did appeal it through POPLA but I can't find the thread on here that, I assume, I posted for help. Appeal letter is dated 27/10/2020 with a rejection. I genuinely had forgotten about this so apologies for misleading you. A lot has happened in the years since the ticket was issued. We closed down a couple of businesses and moved to the opposite end of the country to retire. The documents I have are scanned copies. I no longer have the originals. The NTK is also in there. If there's anything you'd like to see, please let me know and I'll post them, although it probably won't be until tomorrow now, but I'll be looking in on this page tonight. Thank you for the responses so far
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

A guide to Charging Orders & Orders for Sale

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2836 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I am brand new on here so hope I am in the correct place!

A charging order has been put on our property for a debt of £5,035 (originally a £3000 credit card debt) and has since been sold on to another company.

This new company is trying to force us to pay this debt and is now threatening to do an attachment of earnings on my husbands wages to get their money.

We have other debts with payment agreements for £1 per month, several times over and are barely making ends meet.

We have offered, via the CAB to pay £5 per month off this debt which they refused. We have however asked on 2 occasions for the bank details so that we can make payments to the solicitor anyway. They have never been sent and we have now had a letter informing us we haven't kept up our agreement (they wouldn't make one with us) so they are going to get an attachment of earnings.

Can they do this?

Thanks so much in advance.

They will have to get the court to order the attachment. They cannot do it themselves.

Try writing to them explaining that they have not accepted your offer.

Hi guys

Have read the thread with interest(no pun intended) but still have questions :rolleyes:

I have a creditor who has a CCJ for a debt of £1800. Judge ordered monthly instalments of £12 as I am on benefits. 1st payment was orderd by 20/03/2010 so standing order set up for 4th of each month.

Wed. I get a Notice of Hearing to attend court miles away in 2wks for hearing to consider claimants request for variation order.

Today I get the claimants paperwork - they are asking for forthwith judgement and C.O. claiming that the post-judgment contractual interest is increasing the debt and the payments are not reducing it.

The agreement does allow for post-judgmental contractual interest at 2% per month. It was for leased equipment for a business venture and regulated under CCA 1974.

I have written to court and asked for hearing to be transferred to local court but wont know result of this for week or so I guess.

In the meantime though I need to put a defence together - oh joy!

Questions (and forgive me for being dense at times LOL):

a) is there case law which prevents contractual interest continuing after award of CO?

b) if so, surely I am better to accept the CO than to have ongoing 2% monthly interest?

c) if CO in place, do payments continue as well or are they ceased until such times as house is sold?

d) shouldn't they have asked for a list of all other creditors to inform them of their intended actions or is this only for secured creditors such as mortgage co etc?

I have started a thread here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/258102-creditor-wants-charging-order.html#post2907016

Many thanks for all your help

(she says hopefully LOL )

MKB,

this was posted on another thread by andyorch:

If the Claimant is successful in obtaining the CCJ the order will be forthwith ie pay in one lump sum within a prescribed period,if you are not in a position to pay in one payment you apply for a redetermination order immediately (n245) and submit a I&E.The DJ will then set monthly payments for you if you ever default on this then the Claimant can apply for a CO but only if you default.Any DJ that allows application for CO on a redetermination order is infact breaking the law himself.

Regards

Andy

Hi sorry if this is the wrong place to put this, but first time on here, so help me if you can. Even if just to tell me i am in the wrong place.

Hi, i have a charging order on my house regaring a bank loan that i took out back in 2002 from RBS for originally £12k, i owed maybe £11 from memory but Charging Order is for £16k.

Long story short, they finally wrote back to me after about a year of letters and stated that they do not have the credit agreement but i should have it and refer to that, and if need be they can provide me with copies of statements for the loan as it was paid into my bank account with the RBS.:p

Where do i go next regard the charging order on the house. Can anyone help me out, as i only know about credit card legal stuff and not really loan stuff. Surely i could get this C/O removed but does that still mean that i would have to pay the debt back?

Cheers guys.

MKB,

this was posted on another thread by andyorch:

If the Claimant is successful in obtaining the CCJ the order will be forthwith ie pay in one lump sum within a prescribed period,if you are not in a position to pay in one payment you apply for a redetermination order immediately (n245) and submit a I&E.The DJ will then set monthly payments for you if you ever default on this then the Claimant can apply for a CO but only if you default.Any DJ that allows application for CO on a redetermination order is infact breaking the law himself.

Regards

Andy

Vint - thank you so much :D

Off to search for the thread Andy said that in :rolleyes:

Hi sorry if this is the wrong place to put this, but first time on here, so help me if you can. Even if just to tell me i am in the wrong place.

Hi, i have a charging order on my house regaring a bank loan that i took out back in 2002 from RBS for originally £12k, i owed maybe £11 from memory but Charging Order is for £16k.

Long story short, they finally wrote back to me after about a year of letters and stated that they do not have the credit agreement but i should have it and refer to that, and if need be they can provide me with copies of statements for the loan as it was paid into my bank account with the RBS.:p

Where do i go next regard the charging order on the house. Can anyone help me out, as i only know about credit card legal stuff and not really loan stuff. Surely i could get this C/O removed but does that still mean that i would have to pay the debt back?

Cheers guys.

I beleive that you would need to go back to court to do that, but it would probably mean challenging the agreement and default notice.

Them having a note of the loan movements does not signify the existence of a legal agreement, which they must retain with your signature on it.

I would suggest that you start a new thread in the legal issues forum, maybe titled "How do I get a charging order removed" You will get better advice there.

• 5 weeks later...

I am sorry if I have posted this on the wrong thread.

I am looking for some help. I got a CCJ last September for a little over £700. I made no offer to pay, but have received a form N24 (general form of judgement).The form says this

It is ordered that

The application is adjourned to 16th June 2010 at XXX at XXXXXXX County Court. The interim order to continue until further order. The claimants are to serve the ICO and notice of hearing upon and persons they know of as creditors and the persona named in paragraph 6 of the application.

Now here is my problem. I have not made any offer of payments and I know that is wrong. I have only had this one sheet of information and I received it three weeks ago. I have not had any other information from them, my wife who owns half the house has had no notification.

I am have been in severe bad health for the past four months and in and out of hospital. This Saturday I am scheduled to have a seven hour operation, then a further one on the 16th. So I am not focused on this order at all. To be honest, I am frightened witless about the operation and do not know where to turn.

I have only received the form I had mentioned above.

I am severely disabled, one DLA and Income support. Our house is mortgaged and is jointly own and in negative equity (30%).

Can someone advise me on the letter I can send to the court. Even an adjournment for a few months until I recover would help. I honestly don't need the worry.

Thank you in advance if you can help me. Can they sell my house when I am in hospital, how can I stop it?

Edited by Iannun
I have found the right forum for my posting.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, we have judgement against a particularly difficult individual who has now decided after only 12 months payments [of 96] that they have paid the debt in full.

We are contemplating issuing a Charging Order to the property however the property is not owned by the individual owing the money, but their surviving parent.

That said, the parent has assumed responsibility for the debt payments since the final court decision was made and I would like clarification that if the parent has assumed responsibility for the payments then they are likewise responsible for the debt, or have assumed responsibility by making the payments (if that makes sense!)

Therefore, if the above is correct [in law] would we be making the right decision to apply for a charging order?

Or should we send bailiffs, in which we hold little confidence?

The person who owes you the money is the only one responsible for the debt. If the property is not the debtors a charging order application is likely to fail. What you could do is serve an obtain to obtain information and then consider an attachment of earnings if they are working?

Please consider starting your own thread so that we can assist you furthermore.

I'm facing yet another order for sale application. Previous ones were dismissed because of the small amount of the debt but it's now getting seriously bumped up with costs.

Just in case it's successful,

Can anyone say for sure if it happens, how the value of the house gets carved up? The ones applying are still have by far the smallest interest in the property. Can they actually take control of the sale? By they way, the amount of the charges on the property, by mortgage , charging orders etc... now far exceed the value of the property.

Can anyone say for sure if it happens, how the value of the house gets carved up?

Its the order in which the mortgages/loans/CO are on the land registry.

i.e. first come, first served.

Therefore the latest one is not going to get all what thy are after....

Hindsight is wonderful......

But now knowledge and advice are life savers:D

All the charging orders do not seem to be the same. A couple of them have restrictions attached and a couple do not, so is the priority still just the timescale?

Also, who does control of the sale go to? For example, can a company with a charging order of £70 apply for order for sale and take control of the sale when there are other charging orders for far larger amounts?

All the charging orders do not seem to be the same. A couple of them have restrictions attached and a couple do not, so is the priority still just the timescale?

Also, who does control of the sale go to? For example, can a company with a charging order of £70 apply for order for sale and take control of the sale when there are other charging orders for far larger amounts?

Registered charges and equitable charges take priority over restrictions.

The creditor that applies for the OFS, regardless of size of the debt, is the one that will control it and they will have to pay the funds to the 1st chargeholder who in turn pay it to the next chargeholder and so on until the are all repaid and anything that is left at the end of it will go to the property owner, i.e. you!

Is it true that the new government has stopped orders for sale on any debt less than £25,000?

If so, if you had say, 3 credit cards with the same company, each one less than £25K debt, but the total of all 3 is more than £25K, would the company still be able to go for an order for sale?

BF

Registered charges and equitable charges take priority over restrictions.

The creditor that applies for the OFS, regardless of size of the debt, is the one that will control it and they will have to pay the funds to the 1st chargeholder who in turn pay it to the next chargeholder and so on until the are all repaid and anything that is left at the end of it will go to the property owner, i.e. you!

Thanks. The house is hugely in negative equity so there will be nothing left. All the charges are listed as registered charges but some of them have restrictions attached to them eg. no disposition without written consent from Lloyds, Cheltenham & Gloucester.

Thanks. The house is hugely in negative equity so there will be nothing left. All the charges are listed as registered charges but some of them have restrictions attached to them eg. no disposition without written consent from Lloyds, Cheltenham & Gloucester.

If the house in in negative equity now, before an OFS application, then I doubt the creditor would be granted it or even bother applying for one.

I wouldn't worry about the restrictions attached to the registered charges they are standard and won't affect the OFS and don't mean you have to pay twice or anything like that, they are just in place to make sure you get their consent before you sell the house.

This is interesting! They have actually applied for two orders of sale since the property has been in negative equity! ... and been granted a large amount of court costs for their application! I guess there are no laws saying they can't do it.

This is interesting! They have actually applied for two orders of sale since the property has been in negative equity! ... and been granted a large amount of court costs for their application! I guess there are no laws saying they can't do it.

There is no point applying for an OFS if there is negative equity BEFORE they start the OFS as none of the creditors will get any money back at all as the 1st mortgagee will get it all and there would still be a shortfall!

It's seems strange, unless they are only doing it so that they can add £1k costs to your debt each time?! I would argue this point a the OFS hearing and remind them that there is no equity and that you oppose costs being awarded.

Only 1K costs being added seems great! Try £3,800.

I have tried opposing costs being added as well as claiming my own costs stating that their actions are vexatious and an abuse of process intended to profit through excessive costs, but the judge has made his opinions ( presumably based at best on personal prejudice) very clear. Each time, the OFS is dismissed but huge costs are added.

Edited by meursault22

Is it true that the new government has stopped orders for sale on any debt less than £25,000?

If so, if you had say, 3 credit cards with the same company, each one less than £25K debt, but the total of all 3 is more than £25K, would the company still be able to go for an order for sale?

BF

No this is not true, no such limit exists.

Only 1K costs being added seems great! Try £3,800.

I have tried opposing costs being added as well as claiming my own costs stating that their actions are vexatious and an abuse of process intended to profit through excessive costs, but the judge has made his opinions ( presumably based at best on personal prejudice) very clear. Each time, the OFS is dismissed but huge costs are added.

In that case I would work on getting the CCJ setaside and the CO removed ASAP so as to stop any further OFS applications!

Thanks again, I really have to dig up the original thread about this.

I had a setaside hearing, and the same judge who has reserved this case to himself willfully misunderstood everything, misdirected himself as usual, and dismissed the set aside application. I really had no idea that judges got involved in fiercely arguing the case for one side only, but that has been the case here. By the way, the grounds used to dismiss the set aside application was that the judge believed that the original Northampton summons had been correctly served. (even though it in fact wasn't). The fact that I had considerable evidence that I should never have been taken to court was not relevant according to the judge. He said that the first thing to consider was whether the summons had been correctly served and in his opinion, it had. His final words were that the only process left to me is a high court appeal which will cost a great deal of money and that he will attach a note to the file that an appeal has no merit. I have been right royally stitched up!

Recorded would be good and to the right address would be even better. It would stop things happenning like my situation, where the original paperwork has been "lost" and an ammended copy provided to the judge by the claimant (at the hearing). The bottom line is that if the judge doesn't like you or is prejudiced in some way, there's nothing more that can be done. It's all about these huge companies making more profit by any means.

Good question and one to which I don't know the answer to. It's not often they come back to us at that stage - we provide a self-help advice service so most people would deal with things themselves, or get referred on for casework/solicitor support.

I'll try and find out for you though!

Did you ever find the answer as I can't see a reply in subsequent postings ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2836 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks