• Tweets

• Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
    • Even on their map on their website, these parking rules encompass the whole pleasure park - there is no dedicated area for permits and another for free parking as stated. royal leisure park praking area map.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

A guide to Charging Orders & Orders for Sale

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2825 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

well now, hopefully sequenci will confirm that I might have Restons by the short and curlies

in brief- due to a last minute decision by my sols not to provide CFA and with the trial a few days away- and escalating costs- a settlement was agreed by my sols with restons (mbna) that i would agree to a ccj being recorded- on the basis that the claimant would accept monthly payments..which would be at a certain rate for 6 months and then reviewed (to give time to negotiate with other creditors)

the ccj was made on 21 Oct and i sent the first payment- well before it was due on 21 November . However on 19 nov - 2 days BEFORE the first payment was due, Restons applied for an interim charging order (which was granted on 26 Nov) with a full hearing due on 26 Jan

in their application Restons signed a statement of truth and gave evidence that the judgement made no provision for monthly repayments and was a forthwith order (i never received a copy of the ccj from Restons the court or my sols)

I am now waiting for a statement from my sols to confirm what the agreed arrangements were and then intend to apply not only for the interim order to be removed but to set aside the CCj as it was obtained under false pretences by the claimant deliberately misleading me into making a transactional decision i would not otherwise have made

i always regretted not pursuing the defence of the matter- having intiallly defeated a SJ application- but due to the lack of time left to take the defence back from my sols- i had no time to prepare and so made this agreement

I am hoping that i can now "fillet Restons donkey" for making a false declaration as to the agreed format of the CCJ

any comments on the legal aspects would be appreciated

Hi DD, did your solicitors give you a reason for pulling out why they pulled out a few days before the trial? IMO sounds to me they had already been in negotiations with the other side and had come to arrangement between themselves then your sols put this negotiation to you? am I right?

The reason I say that is in my experience and I only can speak from my own personal experience is that even your own solicitors will quite happily string you along for as long as it takes and right at the end pull out and tell you some story why they have.

I would want answers as to why your solicitors if they were going to enter in negotiations then why did they not advise you earlier? does that make them a party to what has gone on behind your back? I think it does. I believe you have a right to get to the bottom of this and you need to know as they owed you a duty of care.......did they act in your best interests? What they advised and you agreed to was it in writing? if not then I would be asking your solicitors why they did not put what was agreed in writing if everything was 100% Kosher?

Maybe the trial should have been adjourned as you had a valid excuse that your solicitors pulled out.......but they had already pre planned what they were going to do beforehand.

Can I ask whose idea was it initially about you accepting this CCJ against your name in return for the other side accepting monthly payments? You have a lot of questions that need answering and which you have a right to know, especially after the dirty underhanded trick they have played.

Just trying to understand myself as I am still learning through trial n error.......if the other side state that there was a forthwith judgment then you would have received a copy of that order, no? Could you not contact the court and ask them for details of when this forthwith order was made and granted? and any other details.

Sorry, did go back and read that the CCJ was made on 21 Oct......what did that order say? looks like they have pulled a fast one as I know how it can and is done being a victim to something similar to you but on a much larger scale.

the sols did not pull out- they just decided at the last minute that they could not operate CFA - they were also hung up on the fact that mbna "could" produce the original agreement out of the hat at the last minute

i just did not have time to take the caseload back and notify change from sols to LIp- but thats another matter

the fact of the matter is that Restons made an agreement with a bona fide firm of sols- and to then deny that such an agreement was entered into is frankly unbeleiveale- and i am sure that with a sworn statement from the sols and the fact that i was fully ready and armed to defend- that the judge would take the view that both i and my sols version of events is to be beleived over Restons version

Just trying to understand myself as I am still learning through trial n error.......if the other side state that there was a forthwith judgment then you would have received a copy of that order, no? Could you not contact the court and ask them for details of when this forthwith order was made and granted? and any other details.

Sorry, did go back and read that the CCJ was made on 21 Oct......what did that order say? looks like they have pulled a fast one as I know how it can and is done being a victim to something similar to you but on a much larger scale.

what i do not know at the moment- is if the sols received the ccj (which would be natural since they were named as acting)- the fact of whether they should have picked this up/sent a copy to me is another matter

i want to concentrate on Restons false statement of truth in their application that no repayment terms were agreed as part of the uncontested ccj

DD, How was the agreement made... was it under a tomlin/consent order?

S.

no- it was a friday and the case was to be heard on the monday and was done via faxes/e amails between myself sols and restons no tomlin order or consent order

what means of communications my sols used to agree or confirm the arrangement with restons i have yet to be advised- but i will be getting a sworn statement from them as to what was agreed with Restons

there seems to be no doubt that the ccj was lodged as a forthwith order since the judge granting the interim order has referred to it in his ruling

the question is that Restons made an agreement with my sols then presented something completely different to the court- and/or my sols were remiss in not ensuring that what was agreed was in fact enacted

i dont think the latter impacts on the former- sols regularly make agreements and arrangements of this kind and if Restons are going to mislead or deceive courts in this manner i think it does not bode well for justice

what i do not know at the moment- is if the sols received the ccj (which would be natural since they were named as acting)- the fact of whether they should have picked this up/sent a copy to me is another matter

i want to concentrate on Restons false statement of truth in their application that no repayment terms were agreed as part of the uncontested ccj

Well that is a good place to start as it is vital you see the CCJ and what is written on there. Your solicitors should be able to confirm in writing to you what was agreed, terms, payments etc etc.........and if they do not then IMO that is a case for professional negligence as they also owed you a duty of care to give you the best advice.

If your solicitors can back you up and what you agreed to then you should have no problem, and that will prove that Restons are lying. I also would have thought you would have had some notice of the interim hearing......did the court send you any notification of this?

Good luck I am sure you will get to the bottom of this.

there seems to be no doubt that the ccj was lodged as a forthwith order since the judge granting the interim order has referred to it in his ruling

the question is that Restons made an agreement with my sols then presented something completely different to the court- and/or my sols were remiss in not ensuring that what was agreed was in fact enacted

i dont think the latter impacts on the former- sols regularly make agreements and arrangements of this kind and if Restons are going to mislead or deceive courts in this manner i think it does not bode well for justice

If that is the case then if it were me then my first point of call would be my own solicitors as they are the ones who arranged this payment plan between you & Restons and were involved. If they can confirm in writing that what you say and what was agreed that would be the more better for you and they would be a party and a witness of what the true terms were agreed on and to.

If they do not co-operate and do not agree to what you say is true then IMO both sides legal reps have concocted between themselves in to making you consent instead of going to trial. My theory is that Restons knew they would have lost that is why this agreement was arranged, but I am very cinical these days especially when consent orders are made.

Well that is a good place to start as it is vital you see the CCJ and what is written on there. Your solicitors should be able to confirm in writing to you what was agreed, terms, payments etc etc.........and if they do not then IMO that is a case for professional negligence as they also owed you a duty of care to give you the best advice.

If your solicitors can back you up and what you agreed to then you should have no problem, and that will prove that Restons are lying. I also would have thought you would have had some notice of the interim hearing......did the court send you any notification of this?

Good luck I am sure you will get to the bottom of this.

no- first i heard of it was a month after it was granted

no- first i heard of it was a month after it was granted

Bottom line is then DD, an agreement was made between two parties. Both sides legal reps were involved. At that time this agreement was made according to you all agreed to what the terms & conditions etc etc would be. Then somewhere along the line someone one party has pulled a fast one, meaning gone back on what was agreed and you need to know which party that was.

I would be contacting my solicitors and be writing to Restons before this hearing date and be asking some very heavy questions. It would be great if you could get both sides stories in front of you before you go to the hearing that way you will have some idea who is telling porkies and who has double crossed you.

- i dont think there is a need for a hearing for the interim order- it is designed i think to prevent a debtor- on being alerted to the application - from disposing of the asset

that doesnt worry me unduly - it is the application itself and the false declaration of what was in the agreed ccj

- i dont think there is a need for a hearing for the interim order- it is designed i think to prevent a debtor- on being alerted to the application - from disposing of the asset

that doesnt worry me unduly - it is the application itself and the false declaration of what was in the agreed ccj

There may be no need for you to attend the hearing nevertheless,

How is an application made?

The application for a charging order always has two stages:

STAGE ONE – THE INTERIM ORDERThe creditor makes an application for a charging order and the court will make what is called an interim charging order if it is satisfied that you own, or have a part share (an interest), in the property in question. This is NOT the final order. An interim charging order is usually made automatically without a hearing and a date for a full hearing is set. A copy of the interim order will be sent to you.

This should be done at least 21 days before the hearing date set by the District Judge. The hearing is for the court to decide whether or not to make the charging order permanent ('Final'). This hearing is likely to be held in the District Judge's private rooms.

The creditor will also register the interim charging order as a "caution" on your property with the Land Registry who should inform you of this in writing. This means you cannot sell the property before the hearing

You should at least receive a copy or some sort of notification I would have thought. The false declaration should be easily resolved provided both sides legal reps state the truth and what was agreed. I would imagine that Restons will not but your solicitors should be able to clear this up for you IF they have nothing to hide.

Did the Land Registry also inform you about the interim charging order?

Interim Order-Charging Order

A Charging Order is another approach that a creditor can take in order to make the debtor repay a debt. Generally this is done when a creditor has issued a CCJ and it is a way to enforce the CCJ should it not be paid in full or if any of the agreed instalments are missed. A Charging Order gives the creditor security of the debt. Once the Charging Order has been granted the debt becomes “secured” on the debtors’ house / land in the same way a mortgage or secured loan is.

The first step of a Charging Order is an Interim Order, this can be issued to the debtor without a hearing, normally it outlines the date for the Charging Order hearing (21 days notice must be given) which will be heard in front of a District Judge. As a precaution a copy of the Interim Order will also be sent Land Registry and this will be noted – this makes it impossible for the property to be sold. The Land Registry will also inform the debtor in writing that an Interim Order has been made.

If the debtor objects to the Interim / Charging Order then it is imperative that they send their written objections along with any evidence to the petitioning creditor at least seven days prior to the hearing. It is also good practice for a copy of this to be sent to the court and the petitioning creditor’s solicitor (all should be sent by registered post).

At the Charging Order hearing the District Judge will decide whether to make a permanent charge on the property – he will take into account evidence / objections from both sides. It is imperative that the debtor attends the hearing as if they do not it is more likely that the Charging Order will be granted. If the hearing is not at a local court then the debtor can apply for it to be transferred to a local court – the form to complete is N244 and there is a fee.

The District Judge must consider whether it is reasonable to make a charging order. Under the Charging Orders Act 1979 they have to consider all of the circumstances of the case such as the personal circumstances of the debtor and whether if the Charging Order was granted it would be “unduly prejudiced” – this means that if the Charging Order was granted there would be a disadvantage to other creditors that the debtor may have.

If the property is in joint names but the debt is in a sole name – the other owner of the property has the opportunity to explain why they do not feel that the Charging Order should be granted. Some of these objections could include: who has paid for the deposit or who has made the mortgage payments. All of these are valid points but must be sent to the court, petitioning creditor and petitioning creditor’s solicitor at least 7 days prior to the hearing.

If the Charging Order is granted it is very rare for a court to allow a creditor to sell the property. The majority of creditors are happy to wait for the home to be sold at some point in the future. If the creditor requests that the property is sold there must be another hearing, again the District Judge would decide using objections / arguments from both sides whether to grant this.

It sounds as if this is a complex situation which needs to be exposed to anyone and everyone who will listen. I would write to your MP, Don't Get Done Get Dom, Rip Off Britain and any other consumer champions you can think of. Scandalous!

Elsa x

Hi Elsa,

thanks for the advice, unfortunately, I have done all this but the water companies are very good at getting court orders of all kinds, including censorship orders! There are so many stories of consumers being done down thesedays, that no consumer champion will think of challenging a court order against them and will instead move on to something else. They have even applied for a restraining order against me, which has allsorts of implications about attending court and the rights of seeing legal files against me. The reason they gave for wanting a restraining order was they claimed it was costing extra legal expenses dealing with my "overcomplicated and vexatious defence litigation." Luckily, the deputy district judge who has reserved the case to himself cannot grant a restraining order, and he can't risk letting the case go to a higher judge who may see the blatant bias and stupidity that has been going on!

Arrow Global applied for charging order last year and the court agreed it (the less said about that procedure the better :( ). However I informed them at the court hearing that the house was sold STC, and that the equity would probably not cover there debt, and was told by their solictor and the judge that they would simply take any "profit" from the sale of the house, after fees.

Now I am due to complete on the house in the next few days and my solicitor has said that I will have to pay out 5k to sell the house, due to the order:

Sale: 157.5k

Mortgage: 147k

Sale Fees: 4k

Debt: 11.5k

Is this correct? Is there anything I could do? I haven't got 5k to pay out, hence why I owe the bloody money!

the sols fees will come out of the proceeds

your creditors will only be able to take whats left

i presume you are going into rented accomodation?

THEN

the worm turns and as you will then have no assets- you will be able to take control of your remaining debts and you will be in the driving seat as the creditors cannot then take what aint there to take

the sols fees will come out of the proceeds

your creditors will only be able to take whats left

i presume you are going into rented accomodation?

THEN

the worm turns and as you will then have no assets- you will be able to take control of your remaining debts and you will be in the driving seat as the creditors cannot then take what aint there to take

The creditor is saying they would rather hang on to the CO, I have told them I have no job, mortgage in arrears, and that would just end up in a repossession. Solicitor suggesting i pay them off at the min (9200) and dont pay estate agents and come up with an agreement with them to pay off the estate agents fees??

Not even rented will live with someone for a while. So no I wont have any assets ( I have my car atm but that is being sold asap)

The creditor is saying they would rather hang on to the CO, I have told them I have no job, mortgage in arrears, and that would just end up in a repossession. Solicitor suggesting i pay them off at the min (9200) and dont pay estate agents and come up with an agreement with them to pay off the estate agents fees??

Not even rented will live with someone for a while. So no I wont have any assets ( I have my car atm but that is being sold asap)

For a start I'd get a different solicitor. From my experience, solicitors are never on your side when there are other solicitors involved. They're not above doing deals behind your back to make a little extra money. If they can get five grand out of you... Apart from that, if it were me, I'd rather give the house buyers a discount than have the money taken up by the charging order.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2825 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks