• Tweets

• That explains it then. MET's fantasy is that it's a pay car park.  You're only let off paying if you are a Starbucks customer which you can't be when Starbucks is closed.  'Cos otherwise lots of people would abuse the car park facilities on the far edge of the Stansted Airport area in the middle of nowhere to ... admire the bushes?  Look at the cloudy sky? The important thing is that we have around 140 cases for this site, and MET have only tried court seven times.  Even then, they had no intention of getting as far as a hearing, they were attempting to intimidate the motorists into paying, when the Caggers defended the cases MET discontinued.
    • She's an only child and he as a brother and sister. He has no will and we have done a check on this to find out if he had left one and nothing has come up. He has savings of around 28k His sister and brother are well off so 28k is nothing to them and aren't interested in his money. This just leaves my wife/his daughter. Would this still need to go to probate there is no estate e.g house or business to sell and the amount left in his bank is just small? When his wife died they just closed her bank account and moved her money across to his account and we just assumed that once my wife has handed in the death certificate and shown evidence of who she is the same would apply to her? We don't know yet the council have only just written to us today with a guide of what to do next.  
    • Did your FiL leave a Will and if so who is the Executor? Strictly speaking banks could refuse to take instructions until Probate is granted but In practice I would expect the bank to take instructions to cancel the DD if the Executor presents the death certificate and a certified copy of the Will
    • Hi   Sorry I probably wasn't clear enough. He had lived in the flat until December 2022 with Dementia by this time it was unsafe for him to have capacity to live on his own and he had to move into a nursing home. We had left it too late to apply for power of attorney so approached a solicitor in March last year for Deputyship. We were still in the process of dealing with it by May 2024. He passed away a few weeks ago and the solicitor was contacted to halt the application and we will just pay the fees of what work he has done up until now. My wife was the named person on her dads bank account but we didn't have the ability to alter any direct debits hence the reasons for applying for Deputyship as we were having problems trying to stop some payments coming out of his account Eon being another difficult company. We kept his flat on from December 2022 - August 2023. it was at this point I contacted Sancutary housing to inform them he was no longer living in the flat, it had been cleared out and was ready for a new tenant and that he had Dementia and had moved into a nursing home December 2022 and explained the reasons why we kept it on. As the named person to speak on his behalf I asked them what proof they needed in order to give notice on the flat e.g proof of dementia and proof that he was living in a nursing home and anything else they wanted. The lady in the upstairs flat and some of the other residence in the street had asked about him and we had told them he had moved into a nursing home. The lady in the upstairs flat wanted his flat for medical reasons so asked us once we had given notice could be let her know and she'll ask them if she can have it. We explained the difficulties and it was left at that but I did tell her I would let her know once notice was given. I contacted the company by email a number of times and also telephone conversations and nobody followed it up and it wasn't till the end of February this year that the housing manager for the area wrote to our home address to ask about him that he had been to the flat a couple of times and nobody answered and he had asked some of the residence in the street and they hadn't seen him for sometime. There was an email address on the letter so I contacted him and copied in the last 2 emails I sent Sanctuary regarding me wanting to give notice on the flat for at least 9 months explaining that it went ignored as well as telephone calls. I also stated I wanted to have his rent payments returned from the date I wanted to give notice which was from August 2023 as the bank wouldn't let us stop the DD without POT or deputyship explaining we were in the process of Deputyship. He gave some excuse about not having POT to cancel on his behalf and spoke to someone in HR and said he would contact the nursing home to confirm he was there with Dementia and if it all checks out we can give notice on the flat which came to an end on the 22 March 2024. There was not mention of back payments for the rent already paid or the fact I had asked to give notice in August 2023. Despite someone living in the flat from 1st April they continue to take DD payments for the flat and have taken another 2 payments of £501. another concerning thing despite Eon not allowing us to cancel the DD to his account the lady upstairs informed Eon that she was moving into the flat February 2024 and Eon refunding the account to his bank and said in an email sorry you are leaving us and canceled his account. Something they wouldn't let us do but a stranger. She also changed her bank account to his address despite the fact notice hadn't been given on the flat yet. So we need to find out how much information Sanctuary actually had for her to tell her power company she was moving into the flat in February despite the housing manager only just getting in contact to find out where he was. So a complaint is going into Eon and Sanctuary and we are going to take advice and ask the bank to charge back the rent. My wife hasn't taken the death certificate to the bank yet to inform them of his passing.  
    • Yes, I believe the Starbucks was closed at the time the car was parked there 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

MKDP & Barclaycard Claim Form***Strike Out***

Shanidev
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3439 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Did the court specify that the defence has to be in by the 10th ?

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the rundown: Direction hearing in Oct 2012 ==> Order from court dated 11the Nov asked Claimant to provide all the docs (I listed them in #48) by 18th Nov and my defence by 2nd Dec and final submission from both parties and to each other by 10th Jan 2014.

Nothing came from the Claimant... I submitted my defence saying that nothing had come through and asked the court to send reminder. Then I received the docs on 21st Dec.

So, under the circumstances I can only sent my second defence statement. As the court never answer their phone, now that their admin has been centralised, all I can do is follow the order as best as I can. Please advise as to what I should do... wording etc... or should I respond differently.

Hi Shani,

I suspect you should have applied for a Strike Out of the claim after they failed to produce doc'ts as ordered in November.

You may now need to lodge an amended defence in response to the doc'ts you rec'd from MKDP on 22nd Dec'r.

But I think the doc'ts the court requires you to file and serve by 10th Jan may actually be your main court bundle (the evidence on which you rely to defend against the claim).

I'll ask for input from more legally experienced Site Team ...............

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi Shanidev,

Andyorch agrees that the doc'ts required by court are the trial bundle and you will have already had guidance from the court about what is expected.

Thanks Slick132 for your effort. I not sure exactly what to say this time. Exact wording on court direction was as follows:

By 4 pm on 2nd Dec 2013, the defendant if to clarify his defence by filing and serving a statement

a) whether he agrees to the amount he is said to owe Barclaycard, and if not why he disputes, and

b) whether or not he accepts that any debt from him to BArclaycard has been assigned by that organisation to the claimant (if he is in dispute, reasons must be provided)

Both parties are to send to the court and to each other any further documents they rely on, to include witness statement of any witness they intend to call by 4pm Jan 10th, parties are warned the court may not allow a document to be produced or a witness heard unless so disclosed.

Now to what I have received:

Agreement - is just a generic one. It has not been signed by either party. Barclaycard say as per section o78 or CCA 1974 and 1983 this is the executed agreement. They say amount due is £2108

Statements - say amount due is £1428 nad they are demanding £2214.

DN from Mercers says amount due is £1478

Plus letter from Barclaycard saying debt assigned to Claimant and amount is £1846

BTW, the order asked them to send the deed of assignment which they have not.

My problem - what can I send in the bundle (what should go in there) and what do I ask the court to do?

Thanks in anticipation.

Edited by Shanidev

I've not read the whole thread so apologies if this should be obvious to me but have you complied with the first part of the order about sending a statement by 2nd Dec? There doesn't seem to be any order about the Claimant providing you with anything to enable you to do that so it seems you need to do it in any event.

Claimant was to clarify, by 18th Nov 2013, their case by sending to the court and the defendant the following:

1. Copy of the contract between defendant and barclaycard relied on
  2. statement of accountshowing the amount said to be owed by the defendant to barclaycard and assigned to the claimant
  3. copy of the contract by which the claimant says the debt due from the defendant was assigned to them and a copy of such assignment they say was served on the defendant

They sent nothing and I submitted my defence statement saying I have not received any thing and ask the court to order them to send it.

Hi Shani,

Thanks Slick. Direction order date 11/11/13 MKDP to provide docs by 18th and then I have 10 days to send my defence. I have done mine to say docs not received hence no meanig ful defence. Adked court to either dismiss case or ask for docs to be provided.

Can you just confirm if you actually submitted a statement to the court by 28th Nov'r, saying MKDP failed to comply with the courts' directions to produce doc'ts by 18th Nov'r. If so, what did you say and did the court respond at all.

Thanks for the quick response. I did. There was no response from court but then they do take months to respond to anything. Here is the text:

2. No documents supporting the claim in the particulars have been receivedto date. Claimant was required to send documents to defendant and the court by18 Nov 2013 (ref: Court Directionsdated 11 Nov 2013)

3. For reasons cited in 2) defendant is unable to submit any meaningfuldefence statement.

4. It is denied that I have entered into any agreement with the Claimant.

5. Without admission that any cause of action is shown by the Claimant it isdenied that I am indebted to the Claimant as alleged or at all.

AND the Defendant

Seeks an order that the Claimant’s action is struck out or otherwise isdismissed on the grounds that no evidence in support of their claim has beenproduced.

Alternatively if the court decides not to strike out the Claimant’s case, itis requested that the court orders full disclosure of the requested documentspursuant to the Civil Procedure Rules.

The Defendant respectfully asks the permission of the court to be allowedsufficient time to submit defence (say 28 days) once the Claimant provides fulldisclosure of the requested documents and allows inspection of the originaldocuments.

I'd be interested to know why the court failed to acknowledge or respond in any way to your submission in post #60. Perhaps it was because you failed to make a formal application on N244. Maybe worth a call to the court's offices.

However, that is perhaps now irrelevant as the claimant produced documents eventually.

So you should now focus on defending against the claim based on their inadequate paperwork. Eg the generic unsigned agreement which you'll suggest is unenforceable, Notice of Assignment, unreconcilable figures for the account, etc.

Edited by slick132
typo

No, it will be your "court bundle", or documents in support of your defence against the claim.

A Witness Statement to the court summarising your points of defence against the claimant's POC's.

Also documents or printed sections of legislation and/or case law that supports your arguments.

Post your Witness Statement and defence here if you want - we can maybe get it checked before submission.

Thanks. I am running out of time. I can't afford to pay special delivery. So, will have to post tomorrow. I have to write in tonights sitting. Let's see how I do. I am just going to give it my best shot and keep fingers crossed. I would appreciate your prayers for me. Thanks once again.

1. Court Directions dated xxxxxx asked the Claimant to send to defendant and the court, by 4 pm on xxxxxxx, the following:

a) Copy of the contract between the defendantand Barclaycard relied on;

b) Statement of account showing theamount said to be owed by the defendant to Barclaycard and assigned to theclaimant; and

c) A copy of the contract by which theclaimant says the debt due from the defendant was assigned to them and a copyof the notice of such assignment they say was served on the defendant

2. Nothing came through and I notifiedthe court of this in my first Defence Statement dated xxxxxxx.I also sent a copy of this to the Claimant. I wish to respectfully have itnoted that I haven’t had any acknowledgement or response from the court onthis.

3. On 21st December 2013, Ireceived a package from the Claimant, the contents of which were stated to beCredit Agreement, Default Notice, Notice of Assignment and Statements. Therewas no Contract of Assignment.

4. This came just before the start ofholiday season and I have not had the chance to look through my archives.

5. I have examined the documents in thispackage and feel that the documentation provided is inadequate.

6. Exhibit 1 – the so-called Agreement isgeneric and not signed by either party. As such I believe it is unenforceable.

7. Exhibit 2 – is Notice of Assignmentand not the Contract of Assignment as the Claimant was required to provide.

8. Exhibit 3 – is the Default Notice andstates the Balance to be £xxxx. This is issued by Mercers Debt CollectionsLtd. My understanding is that interest and charges cease to be added to thebalance once the Default Notice has been issued and the Debt is passed on tothe Debt Collection Agencies.

9. Exhibit 4 - shows that charges havecontinued to be added after this date. I have only included last few pages ofthe statements as the Claimant already has full set of these. Page 24 shows thefinal balance as £xxxxx and the Claimant is stating the balance to be£xxxx.

10. It is denied that I have entered into any agreementwith the Claimant.

11. Without admission that any cause of action is shownby the Claimant it is denied that I am indebted to the Claimant as alleged orat all.

AND the Defendant

Seeks an order that the Claimant’s action is struckout or otherwise is dismissed on the grounds that no evidence in support oftheir claim has been produced.

• 2 weeks later...

Thread tidied and irrelevant posts removed

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Shani,

Re the court hearing, what were the Courts' Directions exactly, about what the Claimant and you have to do before the hearing.

Re the credit agreement, enforceability depends on the date the a/c was opened and how well you present your evidence in defence. But ultimately it is down to the judge on the day.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Shani,

Was the T.O. offered by letter or as part of Mediation.

With the a/c opened before 2007, you have a better chance of arguing enforceability if they don't have adequate paperwork. Still down to how well you prepare, and the judge on the day.

Have you prepared and I&E summary to show what you CAN pay per month. This may be relevant if you decide to make or accept an offer to pay monthly.

Hmmm,

There really should not be any phone conversations !

Have they since confirmed in writing whatever was discussed by phone.

You need to have everything in writing or email. Otherwise you have nothing to show what was discussed, offered, agreed to, etc.

I have confirmed everything in writing and sent a copy to court as well. I was dealing with them in writing but they have been crafty in their responses such as putting a date on the letter then not posting it for a fortnight. And, I get the letter 3 weeks later. I had to call them because they had not responded to my letters and trial date was approaching fast. Now, I wait for hearing with frayed nerves :???:. Anything you can suggest on preparation for the hearing?