style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5457 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello there, i'm hoping for some help and asap!

After splitting up with my ex and expelling him from my privately rented abode in 2008,I received a letter from the council informing me that Equita would be handling the arrears of council tax..I was rather suprised as I had been unemployed for a year and had council tax benefit ...but I was informed that as my ex was still named as a tenant I would have to pay Equita.I was not offered a payment plan by the council , but Equita accepted £20 a month to cover the arrears of £122 . Unfortunately they would not accept a DD and so I had to phone each month and pay(no exact date was agreed upon just once a month)....

this month I recieved a removal order, I was confused and mistakenly ignored it as I believed I was up to date with payments...alas untrue I had missed the payment for March(I had paid in April and was going to pay the remainder this month), which I did not know until today when a hand delivered bailiff removal letter was on the rug when I got home( it's undated and no time is stated)

I phoned Equita to enquire why and was fobbed off with a rude person on the other end who would just say I didn't keep up my payments and they gave me the Bailiffs mobile number.I called the number to ask what was going on , he told me I had missed a payment in March (first I'd heard) and that i had 24 hours to pay , I asked him how much I owed (knowing that it was £71) he said £280 and I explained I was unemployed ,he gave me another 48 hours"to figure out what you can do about it". I phoned the council to find out the remaining arrears i was told £71.11 I explained I was on benefits but was not offered any help , just told to keep paying Equita £20 a month "and it will soon be gone" I asked if I could just go and pay the remaining arrears directly to the council and i was told " you're better off paying Equita" (after being put on hold for a few minutes)

I am scrapping by as it is on income based Jobseekers allowance, but I can pay the £71.11 tomorrow as I have been putting cash aside to get rid of Equita ( how ironic) what should I do ? pay the council direct ? I know not to even answer the door to the bailiff ..it is a long story and a long thread lol but I'm very frightened and confused as I cannot pay the Bailiff this extra fee , but I can pay the remaining arrears and in all honesty I don't really want to deal with the Bailiff !

Guest Happy Contrails

You are claiming JSA and that classifies you a vulnerable persons for the purposes of civil enforcement and all bailiff enfircement must cease. http://www.dca.gov.uk/enforcement/agents02.htm#part10

Do not open the door to a bailiff and ask them to quietly leave the property if they return. Looking at the numbers it appears the bailiff is trying to cheat you with his fees. That is a criminal offence under Section 2 of the Fraud Act 2006.

Find out why you have a council tax liability, you should be claiming council tax benefit because you are on JSA.

Write to the council and ask they take the debt back to town hall administration and put you on council tax benefit. Contact the local government ombudsmand if the council is uncooperative.

hello Happy Contrails,

I have been on benefits since April 2007 and have been receiving Council Tax Benefit but because my ex partner was working he still got charged for it ...unfortunately for me the private landlord was told he had left the dwelling in June so the arrears was for April , May and June of 2008. I also receive housing benefit , the rent and council tax became my sole responsibility in mid June. I had previously inquired about my liability , when the debt was passed to Equita, the council told me i was liable because my name was also on the council tax bill and there fore it applied to me ..i was also told "everyone has to pay council tax" by a very grumpy person at the end of the council tax query line...do you think it's worth phoning/visiting the council to discuss this matter? as I have been fobbed off before with half answers and just plain rudeness...I am starting to become intimidated by the people who are supposed to offer assistance :(

hello there, i'm hoping for some help and asap!

After splitting up with my ex and expelling him from my privately rented abode in 2008,I received a letter from the council informing me that Equita would be handling the arrears of council tax..I was rather suprised as I had been unemployed for a year and had council tax benefit ...but I was informed that as my ex was still named as a tenant I would have to pay Equita.I was not offered a payment plan by the council , but Equita accepted £20 a month to cover the arrears of £122 . Unfortunately they would not accept a DD and so I had to phone each month and pay(no exact date was agreed upon just once a month)....

this month I recieved a removal order, I was confused and mistakenly ignored it as I believed I was up to date with payments...alas untrue I had missed the payment for March(I had paid in April and was going to pay the remainder this month), which I did not know until today when a hand delivered bailiff removal letter was on the rug when I got home( it's undated and no time is stated)

I phoned Equita to enquire why and was fobbed off with a rude person on the other end who would just say I didn't keep up my payments and they gave me the Bailiffs mobile number.I called the number to ask what was going on , he told me I had missed a payment in March (first I'd heard) and that i had 24 hours to pay , I asked him how much I owed (knowing that it was £71) he said £280 and I explained I was unemployed ,he gave me another 48 hours"to figure out what you can do about it". I phoned the council to find out the remaining arrears i was told £71.11 I explained I was on benefits but was not offered any help , just told to keep paying Equita £20 a month "and it will soon be gone" I asked if I could just go and pay the remaining arrears directly to the council and i was told " you're better off paying Equita" (after being put on hold for a few minutes)

I am scrapping by as it is on income based Jobseekers allowance, but I can pay the £71.11 tomorrow as I have been putting cash aside to get rid of Equita ( how ironic) what should I do ? pay the council direct ? I know not to even answer the door to the bailiff ..it is a long story and a long thread lol but I'm very frightened and confused as I cannot pay the Bailiff this extra fee , but I can pay the remaining arrears and in all honesty I don't really want to deal with the Bailiff !

Hi Lost2BFound,

Do not worry, this is not a major problem and can surely be sorted out quickly. Loook at the response above and then do as proposed. Ignore Equita at the moment, they cannot do anything unless you leave doors and/or windows open to let them gain free entry.

l cannot for my life believe that you would be responsible for the arrears caused by your ex. You are on job seekers allowance and should have tax relief. You must contact the council IN WRITING and absolutely not by phone. lf they still insists, go to citizens advice or any other similar organization. Equita will not put anything in writing re. your installment as they have committed a crime by overcharging you. lf you still have the letter from equita with the charges keep it as this is evidence. For letter templates google screw the bailiff. Let us know how it is progressing.

With Regards

Gustavius Rex

unfortunately and fortunately for me lol , my ex has left the country and believe me if I knew where he was I would have sent him the bill when it came lol ....

thank you all for your advice I am writing my letter now ..I feel a lot less panicked ,as I did think they were ignoring the fact I am receiving JSA...if I could I would donate to this fabulous and helpful forum, right now ...but I can't lol but know that I will do in the future :)