• Tweets

• Hi, I have the Sims 4 on Macbook. Over the last year I have paid for multiple add on packs spending a lot of money on them. I bought them all in good faith as my Mac met all the minimum requirements to play them. I have been playing happily for about a year and bought my latest pack just over a week ago. The games were all working fine yesterday. Then suddenly today EA released a new app to launch the games and this new app requires a MAC OS that my computer cannot use. Now suddenly none of my games are accessible and I am unable to play anything. They did not warn us about this change in requirements and if I had known they would be doing this I wouldn't have bought all these add ons as they are now all totally unusable. The games themselves have not changed, only their app to launch them and I can't afford to buy a brand new mac just to play. So my question is how can they change the minimum requirements after I have paid for a game? I agreed to pay for them based on the fact my mac met their requirements and was not informed when purchasing that this would be an issue in the future. I understand new games (like Sims 5 which is to be released next year) might not be compatible but this is a 10yr old game that they have suddenly made inaccessible due to their new launch app. Does anybody know if I can do anything or anyway to get a partial refund from them? Thanks   Here are their T&C... I can't find anything in there about them being able to do this so not sure what to do https://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/
    • OK. Thank you all for the input.  I'll ignore their letters of demand but NEVER ignore a letter of claim. I'm bracing myself for the stress as their demands £££ goes up and the case gets sent to debt collectors. 
    • OK.  It was worth a try. Their case is still pants and they have broken their own Code of Practice numerous times.
    • @BankFodder sorry for the delay and thank you for the lengthy reply. Yes, I agree. It's a small business and the guy is very very decent. I know someone else said my priority shouldn't be worrying whether he gets shafted but I'm not here to try and screw him over because I feel like if someone behaves decently and gets exploited, they might not behave so kindly in the future. I know DX mentioned he thinks I've caused the issue by leaving multiple instructions, but I have already explained why and both instructions were to leave it with a neighbour and there was nothing advising the driver to abandon the parcel on my doorstep. I don't think leaving it there could be considered a safe place.  I am still waiting on the retailer to respond. Ultimately, I wanted to know how he would proceed if DPD's response isn't favourable. I am certainly not looking to cause any problems. I just want my laptop. I will read the other posts for sure. I've been a bit preoccupied with family stuff. I have nothing in writing from DPD as I phoned them, but they did advise it should be the retailer that liaises with them. I tried contacting the driver straight after deliver via Whatsapp, as that's an option, but it said I couldn't send him a message and I have kept that log. We all know who took the parcel on our street, because that person has a history of parcel theft, but I don't have a doorbell camera or cctv. Police are refusing to intervene, despite the fact that I, along with several other people, spotted another's neighbour's parcel in said "suspect's" car and confronted her to get the parcel back. If the police had acted sooner, I might have had a better chance of getting the parcel back, but I suspect the laptop has long been sold on.  When the retailer responds, I will send him the link to this thread. Hopefully, he will benefit from the information on here as well.
    • @dx100uk none of the instructions advised them to leave the parcel on my door step and without such instructions., I'm struggling to see why they think it's ok to just dump it there.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Invalid Default Notices

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4949 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As I understand it the judge is simply saying that a DN was not required in this case because either party could terminate at any time. He doesn't make any ruling on the debtor's intentions regarding the DN or the time period given in the DN. He regards the DN as irrelevant because in this case there was no requirement to serve one.

However Brandon is about a notice served under Sect. 98(1) of the Act. It is not about a notice served under Sect. 87(1) and, since Sect. 87 does not have a clause equivalent to Sect. 98(2), it has no relevance to - and sets no precedent for - notices served under Sect. 87.

From the excerpt available the judge in Brandon appears to have been entirely correct. However it is of no concern to most of us because we will have received notices served under Sect. 87(1).

so did brandon (i am led to believe)

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you're both reading too much into this case. Clause 10(2) of Mr Harrison's agreement allowed termination at any time. Therefore it came under Sect. 98. Therefore no DN was required. If the judge was correct in ruling that the same circumstances applied in Brandon then he was right to ignore the dates in Brandon's DN because it was a Sect. 98 case which didn't require a DN.

The only cause for concern would be if standard credit card agreements were ruled to fall under Sect. 98 rather than Sect. 87. However Sect. 2(2) of the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 makes it clear that they don't.

Diddy

My point exactly in post 4068 ... the creditor's "error" has put the debtor at a disadvantage from day one of the DN .... yet the Judge allowed that disadvantage to remain and influence his judgement on enforceablility ...

I tell you what .. I can't wait to see what the appeal judge makes of it all ... !!

it wilbe VERY interesting because if (based on the limited information we have) the decision is upheld- that there is no need for a s87 notice even in the debtor is in default because the creditor as separate rights under another section of the agreement- to terminate the account- then that would mean that s87/s88/s89 would have been overidden and would no longer be of any use within the CCA

i would be surprised if this judge;s decision would be allowed to remove probably THE most important protection contained in the consumer credit act

i think i was told that this judges experience was in commercial law and not in consumer PROTECTION laws - hence his misdirection of himself (IMO)

I think you're both reading too much into this case. Clause 10(2) of Mr Harrison's agreement allowed termination at any time. Therefore it came under Sect. 98. Therefore no DN was required. If the judge was correct in ruling that the same circumstances applied in Brandon then he was right to ignore the dates in Brandon's DN because it was a Sect. 98 case which didn't require a DN.

The only cause for concern would be if standard credit card agreements were ruled to fall under Sect. 98 rather than Sect. 87. However Sect. 2(2) of the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 makes it clear that they don't.

as far as i understand- from the limited information i have is that the creditor served a s87 DN which was invlalid and only "changed their reason" for termination to s98 when the debtor accepted their unlawful termination as a result of the defective DN

i understand that the judge- during the course of the judgement- made a ruling that in any event - not allowing 14 days to remedy- did not prevent the creditor from enforcing the agreement and it is this part of his (alleged) jdugement that has put the cat amongst the pidgeons

it was a high court judge in the high court and therefore binding on lower courts!

On the other hand Woodchester (in the Court of Appeal) relies on Sect. 87. The Brandon ruling would in theory invalidate the Woodchester decision (except, of course, that being from a lower court it can't).

Mind you Woodchester was a credit agreement for the lease of a photocopier, wasn't it, rather than a credit card agreement? (You can see why there are so many opportunities for barristers to get rich.)

Hi Folks:

Geoffey Alby kindly alerted me to this thread regarding "AMEX v BRANDON" in May.

I do hope that this script of the case is of help to you all, (and myself), all of us being intrigued as to the full outcome.

I believe this scan file will hopefully help.

Thanks Geoffrey for bringing this to my attention

Enjoy.

SCAN FORUM AMEX V BRANDON CASE.pdf

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

This Thread exists exclusively to assist me in preparing litigation against another party.

As such, it is almost certaily protected by litigation privilege.

The legal requirements for claiming litigation privilege are well established and are not in dispute.

Communication between a solicitor, or the client, or a third party will be protected by litigation privilege where the communications are for the dominent purpose of obtaining legal advice in connection with, or conducting litigation in prospect: Re: "Highgate Traders Limited (1984)"BCLC 151.

Copyright Information: All information contained in this website , Associated websites, and Forum posts are Copyright "Reclaim The Right Ltd". If you wish to use the information on this site for publication elsewhere then please email the administrator for permission.

Many thanks for that. From a quick glance it is concerning a credit card agreement. It must be rather worrying for the defendant that the judge begins by saying "I had not realised that American Express provided a card which you could pay by monthly instalments rather than paying the whole lot off each month". Presumably on his salary it had never mattered.

Thanks WMR .. you're a hero ... !!!

I've had a quick scan, tell me if I've mis-read this ... but the reason why the Judge said the time allowed for remedy of the default, was because in the actual terms and conditions for the card it said that the agreement could be terminated at any time by the OC and Debtor for the following :-

"39. Paragraph 10 of the terms and conditions is as follows:

"You can end this agreement at any time by returning to us all cards we

have sent you,coupled with a letter asking us to end the agreement."

Then 10(2):

"We can end this agreement at any time by giving immediate notice.

Alternatively, we can stop you from using the card. If we end the agreement you must pay all money you owe on the account."

So paragraph or clause 10(2) of the agreement clearly gives American Express the

Right to terminate the agreement and on termination all sums due and owing by the Debtor are to be paid."

So this was based on a clause in the t&cs ... which I agree shouldn't over rule procedures for the processing of a DN as defined by statue - but at least we can see where the Judge went off the rails somewhat ...

So, if the OC/DCA uses the case as a defence to your unlawful repuditation, as long as the T&Cs don't mirror those of Amex as above, you at least have a come back, together with the arguements aleady posted here regarding effective DNs...

I love this bit:

"American Express is a very large and reputable operation, almost all of whose business must be regulated by the Act. It would be absurd to suppose that it was not aware of the need to comply with a well known requirement which has been in force for 24 years."

Anyway, I take back much of what I said previously. This case is also concerned with the need to provide an original agreement in court (not necessary seems to have been the district judge's view) and the inclusion of charges and penalties in the amount demanded (perfectly OK, it seems). It'd be useful to know exactly what decision Brandon was appealing against, though.

It'd be useful to know exactly what decision Brandon was appealing against, though.

(As far as I can see it was against the deputy district judge reserving judgement on Amex's application for summary judgement but I'll let others dissect that.)

misdirected himself in this paragraph and was clearly applying a test concerned with equality in commercial contracts and not the CCA

34. Now, somewhat theoretical though it is, had American Express taken enforcement

actionwithin14daysof 19June, itmaywellbe that thevalidityof thatenforcement

actionwouldhave been opento challenger.expressnofinalviewonthemattcrbut I

do understandthe argumcntbecause,to goback cosection87,it mustspecifythe

nature of thebreachandif the breachis capable of remedy what action is required to

remedyit. Thewholeideais thata debtorshouldhave 14dayswithin which to

redeemthe position,in this casepay £275.80. SoTunderstandtheargument.As I

say, I do not dismiss it a.sbeing unreal. But, the fact of thematteris noenforcement

actionwastakenwithin 14daysof 19June. Sowe havethe service of the

enforcement notice hut nothing immediately happens. In those circumstances, even if

,.~,._.

P. 1 a

- Mr Brandon' >point is a good on~) it seems to me to be not relevant in that he has not

. . suffered any prejudice at all by virtue of that technical bn:ach because, n~vcr mind

. within 14 days he did not, for example, within 21 days, which on my finding would

. clearly have been an appropriate period of rime properly to comply with seCtion 87.

. He did not sen.dAmerican Express the cheque for £215. Nothing happened. So he

. remained in breach of his obligation to pay a monthly instalment.

firstly, i thought all breaches of terms and conditons were "techinical" - secondly a higher court has already ruled that the normal test of prejudice suffered does not apply in the case of the CCA and that parliament had made that clear

While section 127(3) might be considered drastic, even harsh, in its adverse consequences for a lender, the House of Lords has been satisfied that it was a measure which Parliament was entitled to take and that it was not incompatible with the right to peaceful enjoyment of possessions under article 1 of the First Protocol to the European Convention on Human Rights: Wilson v First County Trust Ltd (No 2) [2004] 1 AC 816 paras 68-78; 106-109; 138; 167-172. In Wilson v First County Trust Ltd (No 2) Lord Nicholls of Birkenhead provided this commentary on section 127(3) at pages 844-846:

"71. I turn to the statutory setting of section 127(3). The Consumer Credit Act 1974 contains many requirements about the form and contents of regulated agreements. Parliament has singled out some obligations as having such importance that non-compliance leads automatically and inflexibly to a ban on the making of an enforcement order whatever the circumstances. These obligations are specified in section 127(3) and (4). In these two subsections Parliament has chosen, deliberately, to exclude consideration of what is just and equitable in the particular case. The latter approach, enabling the court to consider the circumstances of the particular case, was adopted as the general rule in section 127(1). Section 127(3) and (4) are, expressly, exceptions to the general rule. In prescribing these two exceptions Parliament must be taken to have considered that the sanction generally attaching to non-compliance with the statutory requirements was not sufficient to achieve compliance with the duty to include all the prescribed terms in the agreement (section 61(1)(a)) or the duties to provide copies and notice of cancellation rights (sections 62 to 64). Something more drastic was needed in order to focus attention on the need for lenders to comply strictly with these particular obligations."

Edited by diddydicky

Hi Diddy, good to see you too.

On reading the pdf file, did anyone else notice this?

Maybe this was the case referred to?

"I have already indicated the dates of the default notice, but in deference to the argument advanced by Mr Rankin the section 87 default notice is dated 19 june 2007:"

I hope that is not THE Mr Rankin.

Guest Jason King

In a similar scenario of a Default Notice not giving the required time to remedy the breach, say only 10 days was given to remedy due to posting, serving etc, then I'd argue that 10 days was too short a timeframe to remedy but 12 days would have been ample (and within the statutory 14 days), and I would have paid.

I would argue I was at a disadvantage because the Act allows me a time frame of 14 days but the credit card provider stated a time frame of 10 days, which is unlawful.

It would not be for the judge to determine whether or not I would have paid on the 12th day in any case, it is for him to decide whether I had the right to.

My Sainsbury's loan T&C's state...'we will follow the correct legal requirements when we do this (end an agreement) including the requirements made under the CCA to serve notices (Default) before certain action is taken.

i'm not sure i follow the logic of your argument

parliament decreed (not all that long ago) that the creditor could not take "the next step" (claim entitlement to the benefits of s87) UNLESS it first served a valid DN To be valid the DN must give the debtor AT LEAST 14 days from the date of SERVICE (not the date of posting)

No valid DN= No next step

nothing in the act whatsoever as to this being different depending on what the debtor does or does not do

the DN (horse) comes before the entitlement to the benefits of s87 (the cart)- and the debtors actions in response to the DN are irrelevant

In a similar scenario of a Default Notice not giving the required time to remedy the breach, say only 10 days was given to remedy due to posting, serving etc, then I'd argue that 10 days was too short a timeframe to remedy but 12 days would have been ample (and within the statutory 14 days), and I would have paid.

Parliament settled on a period of 14 days from service. It's not for a court to decide they were wrong.

Hmm the Judge in Brandon decided otherwise...

Yes and no. He does at least concede that enforcement within the 14 day period is "open to challenge", which is some comfort to those of us with MBNA accounts sold during the remedy period (me included).

I don't suppse the transcript of the AMEX v Harrison case is available; it would be interesting to know why that was determined on Sect. 98.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4949 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks