• Tweets

• That explains it then. MET's fantasy is that it's a pay car park.  You're only let off paying if you are a Starbucks customer which you can't be when Starbucks is closed.  'Cos otherwise lots of people would abuse the car park facilities on the far edge of the Stansted Airport area in the middle of nowhere to ... admire the bushes?  Look at the cloudy sky? The important thing is that we have around 140 cases for this site, and MET have only tried court seven times.  Even then, they had no intention of getting as far as a hearing, they were attempting to intimidate the motorists into paying, when the Caggers defended the cases MET discontinued.
    • She's an only child and he as a brother and sister. He has no will and we have done a check on this to find out if he had left one and nothing has come up. He has savings of around 28k His sister and brother are well off so 28k is nothing to them and aren't interested in his money. This just leaves my wife/his daughter. Would this still need to go to probate there is no estate e.g house or business to sell and the amount left in his bank is just small? When his wife died they just closed her bank account and moved her money across to his account and we just assumed that once my wife has handed in the death certificate and shown evidence of who she is the same would apply to her? We don't know yet the council have only just written to us today with a guide of what to do next.  
    • Did your FiL leave a Will and if so who is the Executor? Strictly speaking banks could refuse to take instructions until Probate is granted but In practice I would expect the bank to take instructions to cancel the DD if the Executor presents the death certificate and a certified copy of the Will
    • Hi   Sorry I probably wasn't clear enough. He had lived in the flat until December 2022 with Dementia by this time it was unsafe for him to have capacity to live on his own and he had to move into a nursing home. We had left it too late to apply for power of attorney so approached a solicitor in March last year for Deputyship. We were still in the process of dealing with it by May 2024. He passed away a few weeks ago and the solicitor was contacted to halt the application and we will just pay the fees of what work he has done up until now. My wife was the named person on her dads bank account but we didn't have the ability to alter any direct debits hence the reasons for applying for Deputyship as we were having problems trying to stop some payments coming out of his account Eon being another difficult company. We kept his flat on from December 2022 - August 2023. it was at this point I contacted Sancutary housing to inform them he was no longer living in the flat, it had been cleared out and was ready for a new tenant and that he had Dementia and had moved into a nursing home December 2022 and explained the reasons why we kept it on. As the named person to speak on his behalf I asked them what proof they needed in order to give notice on the flat e.g proof of dementia and proof that he was living in a nursing home and anything else they wanted. The lady in the upstairs flat and some of the other residence in the street had asked about him and we had told them he had moved into a nursing home. The lady in the upstairs flat wanted his flat for medical reasons so asked us once we had given notice could be let her know and she'll ask them if she can have it. We explained the difficulties and it was left at that but I did tell her I would let her know once notice was given. I contacted the company by email a number of times and also telephone conversations and nobody followed it up and it wasn't till the end of February this year that the housing manager for the area wrote to our home address to ask about him that he had been to the flat a couple of times and nobody answered and he had asked some of the residence in the street and they hadn't seen him for sometime. There was an email address on the letter so I contacted him and copied in the last 2 emails I sent Sanctuary regarding me wanting to give notice on the flat for at least 9 months explaining that it went ignored as well as telephone calls. I also stated I wanted to have his rent payments returned from the date I wanted to give notice which was from August 2023 as the bank wouldn't let us stop the DD without POT or deputyship explaining we were in the process of Deputyship. He gave some excuse about not having POT to cancel on his behalf and spoke to someone in HR and said he would contact the nursing home to confirm he was there with Dementia and if it all checks out we can give notice on the flat which came to an end on the 22 March 2024. There was not mention of back payments for the rent already paid or the fact I had asked to give notice in August 2023. Despite someone living in the flat from 1st April they continue to take DD payments for the flat and have taken another 2 payments of £501. another concerning thing despite Eon not allowing us to cancel the DD to his account the lady upstairs informed Eon that she was moving into the flat February 2024 and Eon refunding the account to his bank and said in an email sorry you are leaving us and canceled his account. Something they wouldn't let us do but a stranger. She also changed her bank account to his address despite the fact notice hadn't been given on the flat yet. So we need to find out how much information Sanctuary actually had for her to tell her power company she was moving into the flat in February despite the housing manager only just getting in contact to find out where he was. So a complaint is going into Eon and Sanctuary and we are going to take advice and ask the bank to charge back the rent. My wife hasn't taken the death certificate to the bank yet to inform them of his passing.  
    • Yes, I believe the Starbucks was closed at the time the car was parked there 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

What can a bailiff do regarding rail travel Magistrates fine (Non criminal)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5454 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My husband paid a fine 3 weeks ago directly to the court on 14th April.

Bailiff arrived on the 27/4 13 days after the fine had been paid.

I wrote a letter to the Bailiff company stating that the fine had been paid and that a bailiff should not be visiting

1, The fine had been paid

2, Heavily Pregnant woman at home

3, Autistic child in the house

Today the Bailiff arrived again and put another notice through the door stating that he will be back this weekend to do a removal. Red notice.

I have phoned the Bailiff and informed him that he shouldn't be calling for the above reasons. Of course he insists that I am responsible for the bailiff fees even though he came out to the house 13 days after the fine had been paid.

He is going to call the office.

Now a couple of things, can this guy just force entry with the warrant that he has? Who should I complain to now?

firstly, if he does visit this weekend or the next few days, he is as far as i am aware not allowed to forcefully enter the house, there will find if there ask for a warrant that it was paid.

my advice just dont open the door simple and ring the police.

According to Direct.Gov website a Bailiff CAN force entry into your home for an unpaid fine?

Now I'm pretty sure this isn't the case, but my husband is getting concerned now as we still have Marstons harassing us for a HMCS fine which was paid direct to the court 3 weeks ago, but the Bailiff insists he is coming back at the weekend for the full amount plus £225 in fees!

I have another thread going regarding this, but in short, we wrote to Marstons last week to let them know the fne had been paid after one of their thugs turned up to collect payment, they replied to the letter so know this is the case, yet the Bailiff turned up again today.

How do we get through to these "people" that the fine has ben paid, it seems like they are intent on harassing us?

Just need to sort out were my husband stands with this legally so need to know if a fine he recieved for forgetting his photocard one day would be considered a criminal fine?

My immediate reaction is yes - a "fine" is usually a criminal penalty HOWEVER you would need to check the penalty notice to see what provisions it was imposed under

If I've helped feel free to add to my reputation.

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

A fine is imposed as a criminal sanction - you don't get civil fines...

Incidentally a fine does not have to be imposed by a court, e.g. the fixed penalty fines issued by the Police for drunk and disorderly etc

Edited by I've got no money

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

A fine is imposed as a criminal sanction - you don't get civil fines...

Incidentally a fine does not have to be imposed by a court, e.g. the fixed penalty fines issued by the Police for drunk and disorderly etc

Your first sentence is incorrect!

Edited by meshi

I would suggest that a letter of compliant is sent to the HMCS Contracts Manager within your area who has responsibility to investigate complaints as to the way that the Warrant has been enforced.

There are 7 Managers throughout the country. Can you please let me know whih area you live in. ie: North West, North East, London etc

Your first sentence is incorrect!

It depends if you are adopting a technical legal definition of fine - in the English Legal System a fine is a criminal penalty. I s'pose that there is an argument as to whether a fine imposed is a civil court for contempt is criminal, certainly it is proved to the criminal standard and ultimately the sanction for non payment is prison. Of hand I can't think of any other examples.

OP - don't forget that just because something may be a criminal penalty it doesn't necessarily result in a criminal record.

In terms of whether a fine for rail travel depends on whether it is actually a fine or some sort of other penalty. My recollection is that when I was admitted in 1993 the Law Society took the view that a railway fixed penalty was a criminal matter. The position may have changed which is why I suggested that the OP check the precise terms of the railway fine.

I should add that I am no longer practising and am no longer working in law - so that my observations and comments are made as a normal cagger.

We visited the local fines place this morning who are going to phone the fines office that I paid on my behalf.

They said that if it was them they would usually accept the payment and advise the bailiffs of that or if they didn't accept the payment that they would forward it directly to the bailiffs they also said that as it has been over 3 weeks since the payment was made that the payment must have been accepted as they cut cheques every two weeks.

They also said that as the bailiffs have been advised as to the vulnerable people in the house that they should leave us alone.

They will phone me back when they have an answer.

Just goes to show that people are much better when you speak to them face to face.

Yes they can get into your house even if you are not there. Irs a MAGISTRATE COURT WARRANT.

If you have paid your fine direct to the court after the distress warrant was issued then the court will allow the bailiff company to collect their fees. This is happening all the time where people are getting a bailiff letter and deciding to pay the court direct. To be honest the court should not accept the money but then you can pay at the counter at most courts.

sarajulldin said:
yh there know there cants get rid of you face to face

Yeah but in most cases they tell you what you want to hear to get rid of you. This fine, was it for your husband?

Edited by PizzaMaker
additional info

Well as far as I'm concerned the court HAVE accepted the money as it's now been over 3 weeks and no sign of it being returned!

We spoke to our local Fines Office yesterday, very helpful lady told us that they would probably have accepted the payment and informed the Bailiffs, but if for some reason the fine is not going to be accepted and the money returned to the defendant, then they must tell the Bailiffs this as obviously the money needs time to reach the defendant to pay to the Bailiffs.

In our case nobody has been told that the payment has been received or rejected and when you try and get an answer out of the payments cemtre for the issuing court they hang up on you, even the lady from our local fines office who is looking into it for us had the phone slammed own on her!!

If the Bailiff turns up again

1. Knoiwing that the fine has been paid &
  2. There are 2 vulnerable people in the house that he has been informed about

Then I will take it to the very top.

The ministry if Justice is next on my list to call and we are also lodging an official complaint against the issuing Magistrates court fine collections dept.

PizzaMaker said:
Yeah but in most cases they tell you what you want to hear to get rid of you. This fine, was it for your husband?

Actually she was very helpful and is stll pursuing it today.

Yes it is for my husband

I need to file for a suspension of a distress warrant, I think this is form N245 (please correct me on this if I am wrong) I need to know if I have to do this at the court that issued the fine or if I can do this at my local magistrates court?

The court that issued the fine is in South London but I live in North Hertfordshire and just cannot get there.

Thanks

No - I don't think that you use an N245 if it is a Magistrates Court distress warrant. N245's are for County Court Proceedings

My recollection is that fines are transferred to your local Mags court for enforcement

To be honest my knowledge of fines enforcement is very out of date - your thread needs moving to the bailiffs thread

I'll ask a mod to move it

Thanks for your reply.

The fine hasn't been moved to the local mags court as I've already spoken to the fines collection dept who say it is still with the other court.

Why do they like to make it as difficult as possible for people to get things sorted out?!

You need to do ask for the original fine to be transferred to your local magistrates court. Once there you can make a statutory declaration in front of the magistrates to what ever effect you want.

So whats cooking today ?

• 1 month later...
Guest Happy Contrails

You hand this letter to the bailiff through a window then ask the bailiff to quietly leave the property. Never open the door.

The Omnipotent Bailiff Co, Plc

Their Address 1

Their Address 2

Their Address 3

Postcode

DATE

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: [YOUR NAME]: Notice of Ownership

I write to you understanding you or your firm of bailiffs has seized, or is intending to seize [CHATTELS/A VEHICLE] or other property belonging to me at the above-mentioned address as collateral for an alleged debt belonging to somebody else.

I confirm that I am the lawful owner of the aforesaid property and contents and there is no entitlement enabling you to change ownership, possession, location, use and enjoyment of my property. This means both you and anyone acting for you are now unable to consider my goods to be prima facie the property of anyone else.

Please be advised that any attempt to subvert or rebuke this notice will result in a Form 4 complaint being automatically filed at the certificating court along with an application for costs without contacting you further. Both you as a firm and your bailiff may also be criminally liable for committing offences under Section 2 and 4 of the Fraud Act 2006 and any criminal element to this matter will be passed to the police.

This document is handed to you in person and a photograph of you standing outside reading it has just been taken. It is now your responsibility and in your own interests this letter is handed to the relevant person within your organisation.

Yours Sincerely

YOUR NAME

If you have paid your fine direct to the court after the distress warrant was issued then the court will allow the bailiff company to collect their fees. This is happening all the time where people are getting a bailiff letter and deciding to pay the court direct.]

PM.

Can you provide more detail on this statement please as this is NOT my understanding.