style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5353 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If you are on benefits, as I am, then try to arrange for pre-payment meters with the utilities and they will take the minimum towards the debt that they can.

No, No, No, No, No!!!!!!!!!!

No pre-payment meters please!!!! :eek:

Sorry GKTP!! ;-)

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with pre-payment meters is that the rates to tend to be much higher than 'normal' rates.

You pay a higher rate just so that you can pay in advance and with no administration.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

Yes, Atlantic were almost insisting that a meter was the only way to go but my argument was if we haven't got the money to pay their high rates as it is, how are we going to suddenly have the money to put in a meter:confused: The answer is we don't, and therefore have to sit in the dark with no electricity :confused:

Hey AA

Have you tried United Utilities Trust Fund

I'm sure it's been mentioned before (sorry if so, I've just peeped on now and am running off for dinner so I've not checked), but they are able to give a grant to help with utilities arrears (and possibly rent, I can't remember) if you meet the criteria and are chosen. I think there are other versions of the same thing, but this is the one I remembered the name of:)

I'll second not getting a meter. We used to have one and they're a bleeding pain when you realise you're running out late on Sunday/Bank holidays. Our bills weren't huge on it, but then we are incredibly frugal with leccy - not a no money thing, we always have been, so that helped:)

I'll pm you soon when I have some time spare from the kids (on hols now).

Hope you're keeping your chin up.

Lexis:) x

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

Thanks as always for your sub Lexis. Thanks for your advice, all noted:) Also agree about the meter, it is not the answer:mad: Also on school hols :confused:

Can I write to my creditors and tell them I am considering bankruptcy, would there be any point?

Edited by AA99
afterthought

No! There wouldn't be any point at all. They will redouble their efforts to get you to pay in order that they might get something before the bankruptcy.

You'll be buying a heap of trouble for yourself.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

When I was working the customer had a choice.

Prepayment meter or no meter (provided that it was between March and October) As they were given this choice we did not 'cut them off' they refused service.

GKTP

That is really sneaky and just another example of large corporates exploiting vulnerable people!! :mad:

No offence intended personally GKTP :D but it is simply another means of bypassing the laws of the land which were implemented to prevent such behaviour!!

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

:eek:I've just discovered this newbie that came into effect this Monday:confused:

Alternatives to bankruptcy

Your debts have to be less than £15k AA, so you won't be eligible.

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

Can you not just do your priority debts:-?

Your priority debts are the ones such as mortgage/rent/utilities/council tax etc.

I honestly don't think you can pick and choose which ones you want to include in the DRO, AA.

The debtor’s total unsecured liabilities must not exceed £15,000;

However, as I'm only just reading up on this, then I'm happy to be corrected!! :)

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

Hey, thanks you guys, you're giving me such commonsense answers :)

Why shouldn't we be 'eligible':???:

sorry i shoudl have been more clearer one of the condition was that we were existing customer, who were our creditor , we had to show we had taken independent advise and researched all other alternative before going down the bankruptcy route and to show evidence of it. they ask also about any asset you have and so on... you job detail etc... .... .. .

at the end we didn't have much the luxury as we owe quite a bit on council tax and the bailiff were closing on us ! so we maxed out one overdrdaft and credit card to pay for the BR fees ! as it is a lon gprocess and not a quick one.

by all mean if u can do it . but we had no choice cause of the bailiff.

n.

Thank you people for your responses. However, in the current clime, I am wondering if being a jobless tenant isn't a better place to be, glory me, to hear myself say that........ what have I got to lose :(

Hi guys, thanks for popping in :) Just seem to be getting deeper and deeper into it. Having exhaustedly search the bk threads, I'm thinking it might be easier to just sit here exhausted with all the correspondence and let them all take me to court, or try. :Cry: When you haven't got it no more, you haven't got it :(

Hey AA,

Feeling a bit low atm as well, so can understand you wanting to give up the fight when it all gets a bit too much.

Been reading some of your threads recently, and you have been making headway, so maybe the best thing to do is let them hit you up for the CCJ's (if thats what happens), but you should defend them and given your circumstances any judge would be mad to do anything other than order you to make minimal payments to them.

Last night I wondered if we would see any light at the end of this tunnel - we are both in our early 30's and have a little girl, and to be honest the thought of losing our home (the one 'asset' we have - although with minimal or no equity!) is destroying my husband, and that is the only thing that is keeping us moving forward at this time.

Im so happy we found CAG, because it gives us a balance, and is full of fighters! The good folks who have been there and are now offering the advice are helping so many and offering hope - reading how close some people have came to ending their lives over money is very distressing, and your heart goes out to them - but here they have found some answers and in many cases, came out the other side, with a future to look forward to.

Take hope (need to listen to my own words here...) and maybe stick with it for a bit. Given your circumstances and the fact that you have shown great strength and intellect in your responses to your creditors so far, I dont see why you should be worried about them. You have no assets, defend the CCJ but even then, as long as you keep up the payments agreed by the judge, at that stage they will have to freeze interest and charges and at least you will only be clearing the balance.

Good luck x.

Edited by meerkatsmimm
spelling
  • Haha 1

hello all and especially AA99

just found this thread of yours today again,,, so am subbing

fab posts by all so far to you

i agree though with meerkatsmimm though,,,,

you have come a long way and maybe if you end up with ccj's and you paying the minimum the court says at least will stop all the interest and charges from that point on,,, but then at least you can try the defense first and who knows the fight can be won sometimes when you least expect it

but of course you have to do what you feel you can continue to do, and how it affects your homelife in the end

keep positive and keep learning

virtual hugs laters angel x:cool:

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

Hi there:) Thanks for popping in:)

I am surrounded by paperwork, it just seems endless. As I thought a few months ago, my biggest 'asset' is £4,500 worth of charges on my current account so that would go a long way to clearing a lot of debts right now, mainly priority arrears, rent, utility bills, etc. Think my next step is to push the financial hardship waiver with the bank and take it from there.

Feel like I'm sitting on the fence, throw the towel in, or keep on battling:(

hiya AA99 i know how you feel in parts, i was like that last year and yet i dont really feel any further this year only that i got my mortgage arrears under control and remaining amount was added to the mortgage and im keeping up the mortgage without fail even though dropped to interest only for the time being

but my priorty debts are on track, but its the creditors on unsecured ones im battling not paid a lot of them and any day always anticipating the court claim, only worried for my job ccj need to be advised, but ill cross that bridge when i get to it

other thing i wanted to say before im off again to see the credit union ,,, cos im part of that too, again a way for me to tackle my finances in a way

i know there is lots of advice here with cag but today i caught up with info on martin lewis site, i know we share ourselves about lol

but there was a bit of an update on claiming bank charges especially for hardship cases so if not a member get yourself on there and have a look

it might just give you the courage to tackle this, today.

mind you i have to do mine and i will later too, me too loads of files and lots of paperwork , and some not in any order Yet,,,but tackling it later cos i need to have some order from today onwards

keep your chin up and will look in later

cheers angel x

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

Angel, I was on MSE yesterday reading it all! I have more than a case and if/when I get the big NO from them, I was going to ask them, in the interim, to pay my rent and utility arrears from the charges owing, balance to be decided on the OFT outcome. I would be happy with that!

Am doing it this afternoon..... l8rs x

hey AA99

great minds think alike,,,great stuff.

can only give you continued support at the mo,, but if i ever win that lotto i will remember you all who have given me support in my hour of need over this past year:cool:

laters keep positive angel x

• 2 weeks later...

Today could be the day that the straw that broke this camel's back happened.

Atlantic Gas & Electricity bills arrived :

Electricity £908

Gas £890

Ofgem have been no help :mad: Feel ready to throw the towel in :mad:

Today could be the day that the straw that broke this camel's back happened.

Atlantic Gas & Electricity bills arrived :

Electricity £908

Gas £890

Ofgem have been no help :mad: Feel ready to throw the towel in :mad:

Holy c*ap AA, that's a bit excessive!

Have you tried the Utilities Trust to see if they can help at all? Also, are those amounts definitely right (ie do they tally more or less with a normal bill?).

When we had a massive bill from BG (£450 for a spring quarter when it had previously been around £100 for the winter preceeding), although they flat refused to admit they were wrong (they bloody well were btw), we have at least negotiated a payment plan with Westcot, who it was passed on to. Although it galls me to pay it as I know full well it is incorrect, I can't prove it so set up a plan for a tenner a month.

As you're on benefits for your son etc and don't have other income, I would have thought you could negotiate something with them?

Also, if possible could you move to one of the companies that has a special rate for people in financial trouble? I can't remember off the top of my head who it was (edf rings a bell for some reason, but there was definitely more than one), but they have rates quite a reasonable chunk less than normal if you are eligible - we weren't for some reason that I can't remember:rolleyes:.

Assuming you do manage to get this sorted (I'm sure you will!), have you considered/could you consider either a d/d or a payment card?

I use a d/d for the lower bills, but for water which came as a big chunk every 6 months (or year, I forget which) I have got a payment card so that I can spread the payments. That's worked well for us as it means whichever one has a bit more money can nip in to the post office and pay it, so neither of us are tied to having it taken from our accounts each month.

The only other thing I can think of is the CAB who may be able to give you some pointers on people who can help.

Take care, and try not to fret too much as I'm sure there is a way round this.

Lexis x

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.