style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5499 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had some letters delivered from the bailiffs regarding my council tax 07/08. After reading several posts on here I never contacted the bailiffs and paid the council directly and paid in full. There are now trying to charge me £42.50 for fee's when I have NEVER even had anything to do with them.

They even called my mobile (where they got the number from I don't know) I told them I didn't have an account with them, they insisted i did. I refused to confirm my address or other details with them and they ended up saying 'OK bye' and put the phone down.

Have they got a right to still chase me for their fee's (do I have to pay them) and could they persue it any further?

I had some letters delivered from the bailiffs regarding my council tax 07/08. After reading several posts on here I never contacted the bailiffs and paid the council directly and paid in full. There are now trying to charge me £42.50 for fee's when I have NEVER even had anything to do with them.

They even called my mobile (where they got the number from I don't know) I told them I didn't have an account with them, they insisted i did. I refused to confirm my address or other details with them and they ended up saying 'OK bye' and put the phone down.

Have they got a right to still chase me for their fee's (do I have to pay them) and could they persue it any further?

BAILIFFS cannot charge you for letters sent in the post. If they hand-deliver a letter, they can charge £24.50 for the first visit and £18 for the second.

If you have paid the council tax direct to the council, then there is very little the bailiffs can do to make you pay their fees. I can't see them bothering to take you to court for such a small amount. In any case, if the letters were posted then there's NOTHING they can do even in theory.

I've never received hand delivered post (not suprising even the police get lost on my estate). But I was more concerned about them trying to turn up to remove goods (delt with this company over 10yrs ago and know how slimy they can be compared to some I have delt with), as we alll know school easter holidays are coming up and my husband and I are out at work all day my teenage son knows not to let even his friends in while were at work but how would he possibly cope with bully thugs, NO CHANCE.

I know I've never signed a leivy so they can't touch a thing and if they do it will be regarded as theft. If they get him to sign anything it will be null and void as he is a minor.

Basiclly what I'm asking is even if they do turn up with van in tow to ask them to leave I owe nothing and ignore all letters?

bailliff cannot use an old council tax liability order to reclaim their charges if you paid the council direct.

ignore them.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 4 weeks later...

Got home from work yesterday to find a hand posted letter claiming I owe £200. The original council tax wasn't even that high. I have never contacted the bailiffs as I don't agree with paying any of their fees. Is there a template letter i could send them to basically say sod off your amount is wrong and I'm not paying you

I've just re-read the letter. They are chasing me for the council tax that has been paid almost 2 months ago and adding charges on. I have got there fax number so I was thinking of just writing on the top, 'C Tax paid direct March 09, this was first visit AFTER PAYMENT, No fee's incured I will not pay.' What do you think should I fax it over to them?

I have got a letter from the bailffs dated March which states they have been informed by the council that the tax has been paid and their fee's are still outstanding £42.50 (x2 visits), but yesterday was the only visit I have had which is AFTER PAYMENT so no fee's have been incured.

All I want to do is point out to the crettins that it has been paid and I've not had visits before, I have all of their letters which have come through the normal post. The letter I received yesterday states it is a final notice and threats of committal proceedings, charging Order or Bankruptcy proceedings. I know this is just scare tactics and I know the law,what they can and can't do etc.

So should I just write on top of it and fax it back or disregard it. I just want to get it sorted so they can stop hounding me I have another company which deserves more attention.

As I have never met the bailiff (I was in work it was post through the letter box) so I don't know his certificate number and the small amount that they are claiming £42.50 for fee's, I don't think it's worth doing a form 4. I have been informed that they can't levy/court action for their own fee's is this true?

They cannot levy for their own fees, they will have to go and get a court order for the £42.50, then of course you will be hit with the court costs on top of that but you can stand in court and dispute the charges, There is nothing in the law that requires you to do business with a bailiff, the contract is between the bailiff and the council to which you are not a signed party.

there is posts on here from tomtubby (sorry i cant find it)and she advises to ask the bailiff company for a screenshot of you account

seemingly it gives you more info about your account not just charges i think it gives you the time/date of the bailiffs visits perhaps you should ask for that

Guest Happy Contrails
What is a form 4 complaint?

An official complaint made against a bailiff addressed to the county court that issued his bailiffs certificate.

Phone the Ministry of Justice Public Register of Bailiffs on 020 3334 6355 and ask which court issued his certificate, then download the complaint form http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/form4_0606.pdf and send the form to the certificating court enclosing supporting ant evidence such as the bailiffs document showing unlawful fees and any amounts paid.