• Tweets

• as another of farages faragit reformatory boy shows his true colours Ian Gribbin, the party's candidate in Bexhill and Battle claimed * ' the country would be "far better" if it had "taken Hitler up on his offer of neutrality" instead of fighting the Nazis in World War Two. err tell that to the russians - who did .. * said people should  “exorcise the cult of Churchill and recognize that in both policy and military strategy, he was abysmal”. * Praised Russian president Vladimir Putin as he: "understands the bonds that create more stable societies; the hypocrisy of the West is preposterous as we stare in the face daily the enormous economic equalities created by our deluded neo liberal ideas" and "if only the West had politicians of his class".   * 'women were the "sponging gender" and should be "deprived of health care". * "Men pay 80% of tax – women spend 80% of tax revenue. On aggregate as a group you only take from society. Less complaining please from the 'sponging gender'." - Wonder what his momma thinks of that?   On being caught out, cribbin initially refused to comment before belatedly and weakly 'apologising' A Reform spokesman said the comments were “written with an eye to inconvenient perspectives and truths”. Chairman Tice said “We’re really pleased with all candidates." Leader Farage seemed to think the greens vetting OUT and suspending 20 unsuitable candidates was a 'bigger problem' than reform not only leaving **** the unsuitable in abut also being apologists for them     Reform candidate says UK should have ‘taken Hitler’s neutrality offer’ WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK He also praised Russian president Vladimir Putin and described Winston Churchill as ‘abysmal’   Reform UK candidate apologises over Hitler neutrality comments WWW.BBC.CO.UK Ian Gribbin says his grandparents were "Russian Jews fleeing persecution" and his comments were taken out of context.  
    • do you ultimately want to keep the car?
    • Thank you!    It was bought on my debit card    
    • Hi. Welcome to CAG. How was the car purchased?  
    • Absolutely for the agreement they are referring to.... puts them on notice that this is going to be a uphill fight.   Andy 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

How to Challenge Default Notice on RBS Bank Account***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4541 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I DESPERATELY NEED SOME HELP!!!! See if any one can help me with this problem.

I had a Royalties account with RBS which I never used...RBS stopped sending me Bank Statements since July 2007 and since I never used the account I hardly ever bothered...Last week I was SHOCKED to discover that I was refused a new mobile contract due to bad credit history... When I checked my Credit File with Experian I came to know that RBS placed a Default against my name for the sum of £600 last year September 2007 of which i was not even aware of... Further to this I am not even sure what this £600 is made off as I never used this account.

I changed my address around December 2007 and informed the bank about the change of address in August 2008 (8 Months Later) HOWEVER during all this time I still had access to my old address and posts coming there and I have checked that RBS never sent me any bank statements or correspondence or even a new Bank Card which expired around 9 Months ago...

I called up my Branch to inquire about these charges (As I dont even know what they are) but since then I hanve been waiting for the Branch Manager to ring me back but still no luck all I know is that Branch Manager is currently investigating.

Can anyone please help me and tell me what should I do? Who Shall I write to get this Default Notice out of my credit file?

Please Help

Regards

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think you might be better armed if your sar tem first

then you can see what it was all about

better to know what you are talking about first.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

After finally managing to speak to someone at Bank I have come to know that sum of £600 is made entirely off following Bank Charges:

1) Service Charge on Royalties Account

2) Unauthorised Overdraft Fees/charge

3) Interest on Un Authorised Overdraft

The Reason I am given is that since I didnt had any money in account when they tried taking Service charge out of my account they started charging all these various charges/fees which compiled to £600 over time.

The Point to note here is:

1) The Default amount of £600 is made off entirely Bank Charges and Service Charges

2) SInce July when I last used the account RBS never sent me any Bank Statements & since I never used the account I never questioned them not sending me bank statement and since I never used the account I never knew of these charges occuring on my account whilst I was not checking them

3) I never receieved any correspondence of me owing money to bank.

4) I never received any Letter of Default

As the first step I have requested Bank to send me all the bank statements since January 2007 till when they defaulted me so it serves as a proof when I challenge them as currently I dont have nothing to say apart from the details I was given over phone.

Can anyone help me what should my next step should be after receiving bank statements considering the facts mentioned above to get Default removed against my Name?

Do I need to write to Bank for Refund of Bank Charges or shall I challenge them for not sending Letter of Default and other correspondence or shall I write to Credit Reference Agency to get Default removed as they were made off Bank Charges?

I am totally confused please show me some way!!!!

Regards

Hi, clarkenuttal.

There's a link here that might help, regarding informing the Credit Reference Agency's...............

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/data-protection-default-issues/149449-put-your-credit-reference.html

You should re-claim all the charges levied on the account.

I'll move this thread to the appropriate Forum.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

getting the charges back might well work once the current stay is lift, but yes get the claim in and in the queue.

now, there must have been 'something' that put you in the red in the first place, i would suspect that that is this ervice charge, which you would of agreed to on a monthly or years? basis when you took out the A/C?

so, effectively the default might well stand but not for the amount currently registered.

you need to look at those statements, is there a monthly service charge?

if so, you should of been paying it.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Scott and DX Thanks for your advice and moving Thread to rite place I just need to confirm from you that when you said I should claim all my expenses does that include Service Charges too?

Also Can I be questioned of not informing Credit Reference Agency before default (as I mentioned I wasnt aware of any activities on my account due to not receiving any corresondence and Bank Statements)

In the mean time Can I also challenge RBS on the basis of not sending me DEFAULT NOTICE or at this point just Informing Credit Agency using letter you mentioned would be enough to get DEFAULT NOTICE off my name?

DX I am not sure when I signed Service Charges thing but all I know for now is that my DEFAULT is made off combination of Service Charges & Un Authorised Overdraft Charges but as I said I never recieved any sort of correspondence like Bank Statements or Letters or Default Notice NOT Even a new Debit Card once the old expired.

Scott are banks in their limits to DEFAULT me on basis of Service Charges alone as mentioned by DX? or there is likelyhood of my name getting cleared from DEFAULT as this is my Most Important Priority

Thanks Again guys I'll be waiting for your valuable advice

Clarke

Hi Clarkenuttal

As you know from my similar post I have had the same problem.

First I took the RBS to court over the unfair charges.

Then I had to phone the court and ask them to send the details of the case to the RBS who then sent them on to their credit company who then had to send them to Experian.This was a long winded process involving lots of faxing and telephoning but I eventually succeeded and the RBS default was removed. Now however as you know the RBS default has been replaced with a Capquest default. I think now I am going to phone the courts again and request for the documents to be sent again but this time to Capquest. I'll let you know how I get on. Good luck with everything.

Many Thanks Fastest Fox

I would be writing to EXPERIAN first & at same time contact RBS and challenge them for Defaulting me on basis of unfair charges for which I hope they clear my name as customer goodwill however IF not then I would definitely challenge them to court.

Did RBS or the court you went to raised the point or challenged you for you not paying in Service Charges? Is it something that can go against me? Or did this point got raised when you took RBS to court? Also did you also challenged RBS for not sending you DEFAULT LETTER?

As I can see the from your case too I have similar problem of not realising I had service charges set up on account with no overdraft limit which lead to RBS charging me all these bank charges one after the other.

Thanks again for guiding me towards first step and would look forward to your reply

Cheers

Edited by clarkenuttal

• 2 weeks later...

When I took the RBS to court they failed to show up and so the 'case' was struck out, possibly because they knew they did not have a leg to stand on. I have recently faxed copies of the court's findings to Capquest and am awaiting them to contact Experian to clear my name. Your first step should be taking RBS to court. Good luck.

opps missed this

no you cannot reclaim the service charges.

dx

and they

As my First Step I have asked them to send me a copy of my Bank Statements for last nearly 2 yrs when I last remember using my account. Once that is received I would file a case against this DEFAULT for Un Paid charges.

I will keep you guys posted on this and hope this step by step update will guide my other innocent people stung by bank charges.

Thanks for your continuous support everyone

From what I can gather, the Royalties account costs around £5/month for which you get various benefits. At the time of opening this account you should have received an information pack, or at least soon afterwards. This should explain the benefits and costs etc.

If you never asked for the account type you have an excellent chance of reclaiming the membership fees and since they were incorrectly charged, the associated interest from the overdraft would therefore be erroneous too.

The key would be to get them to prove that you actually asked for a Royalties account in the first place.

Regarding statements, banks have a statutory duty to advise you of charges and interest and most will send a tally of each month's costs along with the statement. If you have never used the account, for anything, you have an excellent chance of a full cancellation under the FSA treating customers fairly legislation, but to benefit from this you need to register a complaint through their procedures and give them a chance to explain. As the process is monitored by the FSA this will ensure a quick response. What you mustn't do is mention unfair charges or the complaint will be parked with several thousand others waiting for the court case to be decided later this year. Your claim is about poor service more than unfair charges and if what you say is true, they cannot possibly defend this as you never used the account or associated benefits. Don't write, go into a branch and make your complaint in person, it'll save time and avoid the chance of your letter getting "lost in the post".

sorry, but I just re-read your various posts. You said earlier that you never used the account but later said "when I last remember using the account" be careful here as non use strengthens your case immensely, but using it puts you in a weaker position.

Hi Ricky d .... I did used the account for a while but it was later not used for a long period of time including the time it was sent for default.... I was not sent any bank statements during this time and since I was not using the account I was least bothered about receiving any statements...

Following are facts how they stands:

Account Last Used: June 2006 (Had some money in the account which they kept taking for Service Charge which was £6/month)

Account's 1st un-authorised Charge: July 2007

Account Defaulted: September 2008

So Effectively I never ever used the account or Debit card or anything whatsoever from June 2006 onwards not even inserted debit card in any ATM to check balance or whatsoever.

Given this dont you think I stand a better chance to challenge RBS by taking them to court and challenging them on basis of un fair charges or would you still suggest going to FSA instead?

Regards

Tricky one, I don't think you'll get very far with the unfair charges as they are caused by membership fees, which I guess the bank would say you signed up to. This is a bit like agreeing to a regular payment but not funding your account to cover the payments. I don't suppose you didn't actually sign up to the Royalties account? If you didn't you'd be on a much stronger footing as you could say you left money in your account and hadn't spent it so weren't expecting any charges. If you did, I would play the " I wrote in ages ago to get the account downgraded but you lost my letter" ploy. There's nothing to lose and as you hadn't used the benefits your case would be stronger. The best place to start would be a formal complaint to the bank asking why they never advised you of the charges? depending on their answer your line should be " I've never used these benefits so I'm not paying for them" If that doesn't work I'd go to the FSA under the "treating customers fairly" legislation. Let me know how you get on?

• 1 month later...

I have decided to challenge them on the grounds of them never sending me DEFAULT NOTICE. If they fail to communicate with me in the time permitted by the law I would take them to court and there I would have a lot more evidence in my support.

The first letter I have sent them is as follows

Edited by clarkenuttal

My Name

My Address

Customer Relations

Customer Central Support

First Floor

The Forthstone

56 South Gyle Crescent

Edinburgh

EH12 9LE

Dear Sir or Madam

Account number - xx xx xx xx

Sort Code – xx xx xx

After recently obtaining a copy of my credit file from Experian I was concerned to note that your RBS has placed a "Default" notice against an account in my name. After requesting copies of backdated bank statements (as RBS failed to send me bank statements over a long period of time) I have come to know that Default amount is comprised solely of bank charges accumulating over time which is a case currently under hearing at the House of Lords.

Further to this I don’t have a recollection of ever receiving any notice of default, and I therefore require you to substantiate this data at your earliest convenience.

1. You must supply me with a true copy of the alleged agreement you refer to. This is my right under your obligation to supply a copy of the agreement under the legislation contained within s.78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 (s.77 (1) for fixed sum credit). Your obligation also extends to providing a statement of account. I enclose a £1 postal order in payment of the statutory fee, PO Serial Number xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2. You must supply me with a signed true and certified copy of the original default notice.

3. Any deed of assignment if the debt was sold on

I would request that this data is provided to me within the next 28 days, if you are unable to provide this data then I must insist that this default is removed from my files as unsubstantiated.

Yours faithfully

My Name

Edited by clarkenuttal

Since 28 days have now passed and I havent received no replies/correspondence from RBS I have sent them second letter. Both of them have been sent as Recorded Delivery so I have more and more evidence to make my case solid.

Also I have already put my credit reference agency on an alert and they have changed my "DEFAULT" status to "DEFAULT UNDER DISPUTE"

Following is my second letter which again was sent Recorded delivery

Edited by clarkenuttal

My Name

My Address

Customer Relations

Customer Central Support

First Floor

The Forthstone

56 South Gyle Crescent

Edinburgh

EH12 9LE

Dear Sir or Madam

Account number - xx xx xx xx

Sort Code – xxxxxx

I wrote to you on the 20/05/09 asking for some relevant information. I have enclosed copy of the same letter which was sent via recorded delivery duly received by RBS on 23/05/09.

Till the time of me sending you this letter RBS has failed to answer any of the questions put to you in the original letter.

As 28 days has now passed from the date of the 1st letter you are now in breach of your duties under Section 78 of the Consumer Credit Act. If you do not answer my original questions and reply within 7 days I will have no choice but to escalate the matter to the relevant authorities including the Banking Ombudsman, Office of Fair Trading and the Information Commissioner's Office.

Yours faithfully

My Name

Edited by clarkenuttal

re-reading this case I can see that there does seem to be a case for non-compliance under the act. My experience is that a concern file will have been raised for your account and all contacts will have been recorded on this file. The main issues seem to be non-receipt of bank statements (they need to show they sent them) no advice of intention to default your account, depends greatly on what address details they have for you, whether or not they attempted to contact you along the way, or whether they decided to just default without notice. There's also the possibility that they have "parked" your file along with all the others claiming unfair charges under the FSA exemption granted until the court case has been settled.

I would suggest a telephone call to Customer Relations, that should be interesting! As you are able to tell them when then received your recorded delivery letters they won't be able to claim non-receipt. This woill also push your case up the queue as its very much a case of the dog who barks loudest gets fed first. How much are we talking about in total now?

Thats exactly what I see myself too that there's been a case of non-compliance as well as a case of unfair charges. Thats the whole reason I have taken this step before knocking on the doors of court so that one way or the other my DEFAULT gets removed and now this gives me double the chance as now I will be challenging them on basis of non-compliance and unfair charges. They do have my correct address on file and if you noticed with all my letters I've sent I have included my address on top and by doing so I've left them with no room for RBS to raise any issue of not having my address.

I would write to them exactly in a weeks time with a FINAL NOTICE to produce my DEFAULT LETTER as they are clearly in breach of Consumer Credit Act 1974 (As mentioned in my First Letter). I want to do all my proceedings in writing and send them recorded delivery so they all can be produced and used in court (If I end up dragging them to court) as evidence while phone call wont have any evidence/proof.

Alltogether the amount comes up to around £450 comprised solely of unfair charges and interests on it but issue is not this £450. The actual issue is having a DEFAULT on my credit file for reasons I have not been responsible for.

Cheers

Finally I have heard back from Customer Services and now it seems they know they are dealing with someone who knows his rights. I just hope I get them to remove default on the basis of series of non complaince rather than dragging them to court.

I will keep you all posted. Your views/reviews are very important so please keep me informed on your thoughts

Regards

Our Ref: xxxxxxx

Date: 26 June 2009

My Name

My Addresss

Dear (My Name)

I refer to your complaint regarding your account with the Royal Bnak of Scotland

The refeernce number for your case is xxxxxxx

Initially let me thank you for bringiing this to my attention as it is important tht we are made aware of any instance where our customers feel that we have fallen below the standards expected of us.

As part of the Customer Care Team I have read your complaint carefully and I am currently investigating the issues you have raised. I will be in contact again within 10 working days to provide you with either afull response or further update of my investigation.

I will do my best to resolve your complaint quickly. To make you aware of all the options available to you I have enclosed the leaflet entitled "Service-making it better", which explains how we handle customers concerns with the Royal Bank of Scotland.

If you would like to contact me in the mean time, please call me on xxxxxxxx and I will be happy to help

Yours Sincerely

Miss ABC

Customer Care Team

It is important that you quote the full reference shown above in all correspondence with this Department

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but this is a word perfect standard initial response per their Concerns process.

If you read between the lines it neither agrees nor disagrees with your points, just acknowledges that you have written.

The real detail will come from the next response, once they have looked into your complaint and taken advice from Group Legal Services on how to answer you.

Fingers crossed though as the FSA imposes very rigid time scales on the process from here on in and the clock is now well and truly ticking.