• Tweets

• Now that is an interesting article which adds afew perspective that I hadn't thought significant - but on reflection of the perspectives offered ... Now Starmer is no Blair, however 'blairite he may be perceived, but the Tories aren't tories and aren't even remotely liberal   The fast 'unannounced and unexpected election call from sunack may well be explained by the opinion linked that he hoped reform would be unprepared and effectively call a chunk of Farages largely empty bluster - making him look even more of a prat, leave scope for attacks on shabby reform candidates and mimimise core vote losses to reform - while throwing the 'middle ground' (relative) tories TO THE DOGS - and with the added bonus of likely pacifying his missu' desire to jogg off to sunny cal tout suite somewhat   thumb in the air - I expect about 140ish tory seats, but can hope for under a hundred Reform - got to admit the outside possibility of 1, maybe 2 seats with about 8% of the vote - but unlikely. I think projections of over 10% of the vote for reform is nudged and paid for speculation - but possible with the expected massive drives from Russian, Chinese and far right social media bot and troll prods targeting the gullible.
    • Commentary June 2024 WWW.ELECTORALCALCULUS.CO.UK Interesting article about just how bad it could be for the Tories.  Also Tories could be hoping on Reform not having candidates in many seats, as they were not ready.  
    • Even a Piers Morgan is an improvement and a gutless Farage Piers Morgan calls for second Brexit referendum WWW.THELONDONECONOMIC.COM Piers Morgan and Nigel Farage have faced off over Brexit and a second referendum in a heated reunion on BBC Question Time.   “Why don’t we have another referendum about Brexit?” he questioned. “I seem to remember when 2016 came around we were told there was going to be control of our borders and it was going to be economically beneficial to this country. And eight years later we have lost complete control of our borders… and economically it seems to have been a wilful act of self-harm.”   ... Piers missed off : after all somebody said a 48/52 decision would be "unfinished business" by a long way - was that person just bul lying (again)  
    • when did they (who) inform you there was a 'police case' and when was this attained? i will guess the debt is now SB'd as it's UAE 15yrs. have you informed the bsnk ever by email/letter of your correct and current address? you can always ignore anyone else accept the bank,  Block and bounce back all emails. Block any text messages  Ignore any letters unless it's: - a Statutory Demand - a Letter Of Claim - a Court Claimform via Northants bulk.  
    • I left Dubai 8 years ago and intended to return. However a job prospect fell through. I’d been there for 15 years. I decided to pay my credit card and the bank had frozen my account. There is no means to pay the CC so completely unable to pay when I wanted to other than the bank advising me to ask a friend in the UAE to pay it on my behalf!  fast forward bank informs there is a police case against me for non payment. Years later IDR chased me and after months/ years they stopped. Now Judge & Priestley are trying their luck. Now I have received an email in English and Arabic from JP saying the bank has authorised them to collect debts. Is this the same as IDR although I didn’t receive anything like this from them. Just says they are authorised?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Could a person be dismissed for drug use outside of work hours

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5543 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

id say it depends on wether their drug use hampered their work or not, for example turning up at work stoned isnt generally a good idea.

also, if oyu work in a "respectable" occupation, then being arrested for drug possession can cause the company to fall into disrepute, as obviously the arrest would have to be declared, and the employer would have to ask questions about wether the employee was carrying out illegal actions on company time.

At a place where i used to work, most of the staff, and even some in management used to bring cannabis, and stronger stuff, to work, usually to sell to others, for some unknown reason, a blind eye was turned to this, although random searches were carried out from time to time, usually resulting in the sacking of one or two lower level members of staff.

id say it depends on wether their drug use hampered their work or not, for example turning up at work stoned isnt generally a good idea.

also, if oyu work in a "respectable" occupation, then being arrested for drug possession can cause the company to fall into disrepute, as obviously the arrest would have to be declared, and the employer would have to ask questions about wether the employee was carrying out illegal actions on company time.

At a place where i used to work, most of the staff, and even some in management used to bring cannabis, and stronger stuff, to work, usually to sell to others, for some unknown reason, a blind eye was turned to this, although random searches were carried out from time to time, usually resulting in the sacking of one or two lower level members of staff.

If a person is arrested on there own time do they have to declare this at work? The job they do is not a high profile job just a supervisor ina provate company. There are also no H+S issue like driving or operating machinery....

I would say from my previous experience that you are best off reading your contract and any policies you've been given to see what the company guidelines are.

If it doesn't say in there you have to declare it then don't. Some firms write it into the contract that you do have to declare but only offences of a certain nature i.e financial obviously want to know about fraud etc.

I used to work for the railway many moons ago before it was privatised and as the work i did was H&S and meant going trackside I had to declare any drink or drugs related convictions plus anything to do with theft and dishonesty (we went into booking offices as well).

I work in IT now and there's nothing about declaring anything.

The employer has to be careful with how they approach it as well, being arrested is not the same as being convicted and the last time I looked, a person was innocent until proven guilty. So if it has to be declared according to the company policy then they can't dismiss a person unless they are actually convicted if that is the avenue they wish to take and they would still have to be very careful on how they went about it and have to prove the conviction was detrimential to either the convicted persons work or to the company's reputation.

Hand on heart, if it was me I would keep quiet and claim ignorance saying I didnt know i had to declare, after all if they havent made it clear what they expect how are you meant to know? plus, they can only sack a person once. Might as well get a bit of extra pay out of it whilst you can these days.

But that's me and not a professional recommendation.

I would say from my previous experience that you are best off reading your contract and any policies you've been given to see what the company guidelines are.

If it doesn't say in there you have to declare it then don't. Some firms write it into the contract that you do have to declare but only offences of a certain nature i.e financial obviously want to know about fraud etc.

I used to work for the railway many moons ago before it was privatised and as the work i did was H&S and meant going trackside I had to declare any drink or drugs related convictions plus anything to do with theft and dishonesty (we went into booking offices as well).

I work in IT now and there's nothing about declaring anything.

The employer has to be careful with how they approach it as well, being arrested is not the same as being convicted and the last time I looked, a person was innocent until proven guilty. So if it has to be declared according to the company policy then they can't dismiss a person unless they are actually convicted if that is the avenue they wish to take and they would still have to be very careful on how they went about it and have to prove the conviction was detrimential to either the convicted persons work or to the company's reputation.

Hand on heart, if it was me I would keep quiet and claim ignorance saying I didnt know i had to declare, after all if they havent made it clear what they expect how are you meant to know? plus, they can only sack a person once. Might as well get a bit of extra pay out of it whilst you can these days.

But that's me and not a professional recommendation.

Some things to think about there thanks for your comments they were most helpfull. It does raise a further question though, if a person was bailed and charged but not yet convicted but planned to pleed guilty then do you think this changes the guilty untill prven otherwise stance??

Nothing in contract about this and not aware of any policys....

If a person is arrested on there own time do they have to declare this at work?

well, drug possession, especially if they were found to be in posession of a quantity with intent to supply, is a serious offence, and as such a court appearance would be in order, so it would have to be declared anyways to ensure that they got the day off to attend court.

Even being found with a small amount leads to a permenant record being made, so if the employer checks up by doing a CRB check or something, then they will find an undeclared charge of posession on the record, and will begin asking questions about it.

Many companies now have a zero tolerance policy on drug use, and just because someone uses drugs out of work does not mean they are not still feeling the effects of them while in work, as well as after effects, either caused by use, or prolonged use.

Of course, it is up to the individual what they do outside of work, however an illegal act is still illegal, and those who wish to break the law who get caught have to face up to the consequences.

A friend of mine was offered a job subject to a blood test to make sure she hadn't used illegal substances. This was in an office for a multi-national oil company.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

well, drug possession, especially if they were found to be in posession of a quantity with intent to supply, is a serious offence, and as such a court appearance would be in order, so it would have to be declared anyways to ensure that they got the day off to attend court.

Even being found with a small amount leads to a permenant record being made, so if the employer checks up by doing a CRB check or something, then they will find an undeclared charge of posession on the record, and will begin asking questions about it.

Many companies now have a zero tolerance policy on drug use, and just because someone uses drugs out of work does not mean they are not still feeling the effects of them while in work, as well as after effects, either caused by use, or prolonged use.

Of course, it is up to the individual what they do outside of work, however an illegal act is still illegal, and those who wish to break the law who get caught have to face up to the consequences.

Ok, if the court date was an employees off day and the employee is not aware of any policy does this change things? At present the employer is not aware, media have not disclosed any info and the police have been asked to keep shush. A further question, if the employers suspects and asks the emplyee, will there be any implications for the employee not disclosing or refusing to comment?

A further question, if the employers suspects and asks the emplyee, will there be any implications for the employee not disclosing or refusing to comment?

yes, theyd be lying to their employer.

lying = gross misconduct.

just because someone uses drugs out of work does not mean they are not still feeling the effects of them while in work, as well as after effects, either caused by use, or prolonged use.

Also the person wishes to plead guilty and accept the courts punishment and never ever used the drug before, after or whilst at work. Only ever using on off days with 24 hours clear before the next working day.

Thanks i suspected that but good to have it confirmed. What if the employee refused to answer or said they couldnt answer untill taking advice?

Check the terms of employment. A lot of them will have something relating to it, and remember that for a lot of drugs, it will take a lot more than 24 hours to clear the system which means that the employee, if tested, will show a positive result.

So the main thing, first and foremost, is to check the terms of employment.

Just wonderd if it would be lawfull to dismiss somebody becasue they were caught with cannabis out of work.

Any thoughts.....

Yes, it would be lawful to dismiss an individual in these circumstances.

Put it this way, I doubt whether an ET would consider it an unfair dismissal, which is essentially what you are asking.

Also, you have to define 'work time.' It isn't simply 9 to 5.

eg Racial discrimination has in the past been proven by an employee by his manager who abused him on a Saturday night out when they met by chance, away from the Mon-Fri workplace.

In summary, the manager could not be a racist just on a Sat night then stop being one on a Monday.

Yes, it would be lawful to dismiss an individual in these circumstances.

Put it this way, I doubt whether an ET would consider it an unfair dismissal, which is essentially what you are asking.

Also, you have to define 'work time.' It isn't simply 9 to 5.

eg Racial discrimination has in the past been proven by an employee by his manager who abused him on a Saturday night out when they met by chance, away from the Mon-Fri workplace.

In summary, the manager could not be a racist just on a Sat night then stop being one on a Monday.

Sorry Jonny but I have to disagree with you, you say it would be lawful to dimiss a person solely on smoking a bit of dope?

I don't agree with the practise and have never been a drug user HOWEVER I don't consider it to be as serious as say murder, assault, rape, armed robbery etc as it is a crime that hurts no-one else (unless its a more addictive habit) and is as serious as smoking a cigarette or getting blind drunk every weekend. And yes I do have experience of the effects as my ex partner was a dope smoker and paranoid as anything but it was his choice, just as it was my choice not to put up with it anymore.

Speeding is also illegal but you don't see employers sacking people for getting a speeding fine and points unless their job involves driving and the points result in a ban.

Drink driving is also illegal and something I hate but unless your job relied on having a license your employer would be unlikely to sack you (I know a few people who work with my partner who have lost their license this way).

Work time is just that, work time. Your private life is your own and no company has the right to dictate what you do in your spare time. If they did i'd want paying for it.

I do take your point about racism, but a person can have their own views and opinions and keep them to themselves and not let them affect their working life. Not that I agree with any kind of discrimination be it positive, negative, race, sex, age or religion and any kind of abuse towards another person is totally unacceptable either in work or out no matter what the reason.

I've worked for people who thought it was disgraceful that a woman with young children was out of the kitchen working for a living but I only found out they thought like that by accident. They certainly never showed that attitude at work, they were completely professional.

What you do outside of work, as long as it does not bring your company into disrepute is your own business and no-one elses.

People make mistakes all the time and should be allowed the chance to recover from them without being tarred, feathered and run out of town by people who can only see the small things and not the bigger picture.

The OP should read their contract to see where they stand, then and only then will they know what path they need to follow. As long as they don't come into work stoned, high, whatever and the effects are long gone before they do work, I personally have no problem with it.

Sorry Jonny but I have to disagree with you, you say it would be lawful to dimiss a person solely on smoking a bit of dope?

No, I didn't say that, simply because the OP didn't mention 'smoking dope' he mentioned 'caught with dope.'

Being in possession is more serious than simply smoking a joint.

I don't agree with the practise and have never been a drug user HOWEVER I don't consider it to be as serious as say murder, assault, rape, armed robbery etc as it is a crime that hurts no-one else (unless its a more addictive habit) and is as serious as smoking a cigarette or getting blind drunk every weekend. And yes I do have experience of the effects as my ex partner was a dope smoker and paranoid as anything but it was his choice, just as it was my choice not to put up with it anymore.

Speeding is also illegal but you don't see employers sacking people for getting a speeding fine and points unless their job involves driving and the points result in a ban.

Drink driving is also illegal and something I hate but unless your job relied on having a license your employer would be unlikely to sack you (I know a few people who work with my partner who have lost their license this way).

Work time is just that, work time. Your private life is your own and no company has the right to dictate what you do in your spare time. If they did i'd want paying for it.

A company can, however, dictate to you what you cannot do in your spare time (within reason), and being involved in drugs is one.

I do take your point about racism, but a person can have their own views and opinions and keep them to themselves and not let them affect their working life. Not that I agree with any kind of discrimination be it positive, negative, race, sex, age or religion and any kind of abuse towards another person is totally unacceptable either in work or out no matter what the reason.

Not sure of this point you raise.

Of course people have their own views, but if they keep them to themselves then they obviously don't upset people do they?:? Because they keep it to themselves!

I've worked for people who thought it was disgraceful that a woman with young children was out of the kitchen working for a living but I only found out they thought like that by accident. They certainly never showed that attitude at work, they were completely professional.

What you do outside of work, as long as it does not bring your company into disrepute is your own business and no-one elses.

And just how does one of your employees being in possession of drugs not bring your company into disrepute?:?

People make mistakes all the time and should be allowed the chance to recover from them without being tarred, feathered and run out of town by people who can only see the small things and not the bigger picture.

:?

The OP should read their contract to see where they stand, then and only then will they know what path they need to follow. As long as they don't come into work stoned, high, whatever and the effects are long gone before they do work, I personally have no problem with it.

Personally? It's what his company thinks-not you.

Cannabis is illegal, possession or smoking it.

Even if the contract contains no specific reference to drugs, illegal actions are always implied into contracts ortherwise all contracts of any sort would be void.

So I fail to see why looking at a contract will help!:?

What else do you expect? That a clause states you may undertake an illegal activity out of work hours!!?:?

i'm off to bed zzzzzz

Nothing in contract and not aware of any drug policy in business. I am not sure how one would determine wether the company name has been brought into disrepute but the company name has never ever been brought up in any investigation by the police. I firmly believe that one should be able to do what they like out of working hours aslong as any effects dont impeach onto working hours.

Thanks for your comments

As an after thought I would ask you to consider this...

is it fair for a person to lose there job, career, house, standing in community and general life becasue they prefer to grow and smoke dope rather than brew and drink alcohol in there own lesuire time.... And to remind you somthing like 75% of all AE admissions at the weekend are alcohol related, there are no recorded deaths for cannabis consumption but alcohol related illness is the plaque of the NHS.

Theres somthing very wrong with society if the answer is yes.......

Edited by will lliw

is it fair for a person to lose there job, career, house, standing in community and general life becasue they prefer to grow and smoke dope rather than brew and drink alcohol in there own lesuire time....

Well, one is illegal whilst the other is not.

So yes, it is fair.

Was there anything when you were employed about revealing a criminal record. I take it you aren't subject to a CRB check in your job?

If employers found out and you hadn't been upfront about it, it may call your honesty into doubt. Then again if you tell them about it, that may also ring alarm bells. Damned if you do and damned if you don't, so you have to use your judgment on this. Can you guarantee beyond doubt that it wouldn't get back somehow?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

And to remind you somthing like 75% of all AE admissions at the weekend are alcohol related, there are no recorded deaths for cannabis consumption but alcohol related illness is the plaque of the NHS.

Theres somthing very wrong with society if the answer is yes.......

Sorry, but there ARE recorded deaths from cannabis use - for example, driving while stoned, user kills self and others; user develops psychosis as a direct result of smoking cannabis (yes, this HAS been proved), kills someone; user develops lung cancer from smoking joints; user falls asleep while smoking and burns house down... I could go on. Cannabis-induced mental illness costs the NHS a fortune, as do the many other ways cannabis use affects health and causes accidents.

I'm far, far from being a prude, but it does intensely irritate me when people try to pass cannabis off as entirely harmless, not hurting anyone, etc. etc. It has a great capacity for harm, and one of the main problems with it is that often it takes years for this harm to become apparent - as people don't see immediate effects, they assume it's safe!

I suspect that harm from alcohol use far far exceeds that from cannabis, but one is legal and the other is not.

Although I disagree with Jonny Holmes, how can being in possession be far worse than smoking a joint - you have to be in possession of it to smoke it! Now if it were with intent to supply that would be a different matter.

The OP need to think carefully about whether to tell his employer or not, and whether to continue smoking as there is the risk of being caught again.

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

As far as I am aware being caught with cannabis - whether a single joint or a small amount can result in the same charge ie possession.

Possession with intent to supply comes in when the police believe the amount to be greater than an amount that could be classed as for individual use, or when a person actually gives or sells to another regardless of amount.

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

No, they would only be lying if they answered in the negative. Refusal to answer a question about what you do in your own personal time is not a disciplinary matter unless the contract of employment requires it.

The only other exception is a job that required enhanced CRB check. There is a duty on the employee to inform the employer of any circumstances that change the detail of the CRB disclosure