Has this happened to you?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5529 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Have a question - has anyone had the following scenario happen to them?

Your annual insurance, lets say for a car, is up for renewal but not liking the renewal quote you give them notice to cancel (giving plenty of notice!) and take out insurance elsewhere.

a few weeks later you get a new certificate in the post from your OLD company, so check your bank and find that they have debited the renewal amount.

A call to the company and they say 'oops, yes that shouldnt have renewed, we will cancel immediately and refund your premium' (No major issues getting it resolved and you think no more of it, a simple mistake)

it then takes about 5 days to get your money back. so they have had your money for sometimes as long as 10 days!

This has just happened to me for 2ND YEAR RUNNING with 2 different insurance companies. my thoughts are that even if they do this to only 10 people a day with a couple of hundred a pop they are earning some nice interest from us over the days they have our money sitting in their account!!

Anyone else experienced this? wondering if I am just unlucky or if more widespread and earning these companies some nice extra interest.

Anything I post is my own opinion and views based on experience. My posts may not represent the views of my Employer, work collegues, or my Mum, i thought them up all by myself!

its not even just the interest.

How many people do you think dont discover that they have 2 insurances running on their car until much later. A friend of mine (who is not the most attentive to detail) had insurance on a car he had sold for nearly a year before he realised.....no refund

not true - I cancelled my direct debit with my bank when my co-op insurance was due to end.

The co-op denied my ever telling them I did not wish to renew, and the bank paid the DD and claimed I had authorised new payment.

CO-OP said i needed to claim from my bank - bank claimed it was down to insurance company,

flyingdoc that means the person who brought the car had no insurance and was driving on your friends policy as u cant have 2 policies on the same car

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

flyingdoc that means the person who brought the car had no insurance and was driving on your friends policy as u cant have 2 policies on the same car

Yes you can.

However,usually, in the event of as claim, each insurer will only pay a proportion of the claim.

My car regularly has two polices extant simultaneously.

Hi I can well believe it

I would advise you to cancel your DD when you tell the insurance company then they can't do it again!!!

trouble was I didnt pay last year on D/D, paid the whole lot in one go with Visa Debit Card. you cant cancel them without canceling the whole card and getting a new one sent out. If a company retains the details from the previous year you are simply at their mercy!

Anything I post is my own opinion and views based on experience. My posts may not represent the views of my Employer, work collegues, or my Mum, i thought them up all by myself!