Intrum Justia threats

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5428 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

Hope you can help me out. I have a debt with Natwest for a current account which is for over a grand. Intrum Justia took over the debt in December and I contacted them in January to discuss the debt. They first told me to go away and assess what outgoings I had and call back. When I called back the man I spoke to was rude and wouldnt accept my offer of £10 a month. I currently am on Income Support with a 10 month old baby, so thats all I can afford. So I decided, sod them. Then I received a letter from them offering me a startup arrangement of £10 a month, so I decided to ring them. I spoke to a woman who was rude, abrupt and very sarcastic who told me I couldnt have the £10 a month offer. I went through all my outgoings and she had the audacity to say it was ridiculous that I had broadband (my one luxury) and it was ridiculous that I spent £25 a week on food for myself and £25 a week on food etc for my daughter. Now I worked it out that £25 a week is just over £3 a day which is just over £1 a meal, is that ridiculous? My daughter has baby food, and milk but I also included the fact I buy her clothes etc in that amount. Anyway, she deduced I had £10 a week left over and she wanted £5 of it a week. I said I cant afford that and she was saying it would take 11 and a half years to clear. I already pay £10 a fornight for a Credit card which will take over 40 years at the current payment but they dont mind so why are Intrum Justia so bothered it'll take that time. Plus she refused to listen anymore even when I tried to explain it wouldnt take that long as I am going to return to work soon enough. She then said she was terminating the call and someone would be visiting my address. I was very angry at this point that she had the audacity to end the call and threaten me with unwelcome visitor so I rang back and got someone else who said that the £20 a month offer was withdrawn and I'd got 48 hours to clear the balance otherwise I'd have agents visitng my address. He completely backed up his colleague and wouldnt apologise for her actions, so in the end I said I'd pay the £20 a month as I didnt want bailiffs or anyone banging my door and upsetting my daughter. They even had the cheek to suggest I get the money off friends and family. So they were wanting a payment as soon as possible but had neglected to put a giro slip at the bottom of the letter and I only have a post office account so cannot pay by card. The man said he'd send a giro slip and they needed a payment by the end of this week. It's thursday now and that was last friday and I dont have a giro slip. They already rang the number yesterday that I called them from last week even though I'd said it wasn't my number, and refused to tell my friend what it was about, only that they were IJL and wanted my number so she gave them the number they already have.

Now, sorry its long and I hope ur still with me, I thought they couldnt refuse an offer, no matter how small. Secondly I didnt think they could take further action if you'd made them an offer, regardless of if they accepted it, and thirdly I didnt think they could contact people on numbers that arent the debtors, especially if its been said that its not their number?

I'd like advice on what steps to take because I'm angry that they call several times a day, from 8am to after 8pm and behave in a way thats unacceptable and wont accept an offer I can afford. Please help! :?

Edited by pinkprincessangel
Exact amount could compromise the poster

Welcome to the CAG forums PPA....please try and relax if you can, firstly I would stop talking to them on the phone, as they will threaten you to frighten you into paying....you can only afford what you can pay them. I have to ask first are there any excessive penalty charges that have been added to the account ? have you made any charge reclaims at all ?

Hi,

Thanks for replying. There has been charges put on by the bank and they're the reason I went overdrawn in the first place. I dont know if any additional charges have been put on as the only notification of the debt I get is through Intrum Justia. And I havent claimed any charges back.

They are playing you for a fool.

Hope you can help me out. I have a debt with Natwest for a current account which is for £1xxxx. Intrum Justia took over the debt in December and I contacted them (Never call them) in January to discuss the debt. They first told me to go away and assess what outgoings I had and call back. (You do not have to tell them anything, its none of there bussiness what your in's and outs are) When I called back (stop calling them :-) the man I spoke to was rude and wouldnt accept my offer of £10 a month.(Shame, coz now he is going to get a lot less)

I currently am on Income Support with a 10 month old baby, so thats all I can afford. So I decided, sod them. Then I received a letter from them offering me a startup arrangement of £10 a month, so I decided to ring them. I spoke to a woman who was rude, abrupt and very sarcastic (Bunch of morons, thats just there way) who told me I couldnt have the £10 a month offer.

I went through all my outgoings (Tell them nothing) and she had the audacity to say it was ridiculous that I had broadband (my one luxury) and it was ridiculous that I spent £25 a week on food for myself and £25 a week on food etc for my daughter. Now I worked it out that £25 a week is just over £3 a day which is just over £1 a meal, is that ridiculous? My daughter has baby food, and milk but I also included the fact I buy her clothes etc in that amount. Anyway, she deduced I had £10 a week left over and she wanted £5 of it a week. I said I cant afford that and she was saying it would take 11 and a half years to clear.

I already pay £10 a fornight for a Credit card which will take over 40 years at the current payment but they dont mind so why are Intrum Justia so bothered it'll take that time. Plus she refused to listen anymore even when I tried to explain it wouldnt take that long as I am going to return to work soon enough. She then said she was terminating the call and someone would be visiting my address.(Anyone who may visit have no more rights than the paperboy and the chances of someone actually knocking on your door is slim to none)

I was very angry at this point that she had the audacity to end the call and threaten me with unwelcome visitor so I rang back and got someone else who said that the £20 a month offer was withdrawn and I'd got 48 hours to clear the balance otherwise I'd have agents visitng my address. (So what ? What exactly are they going to do ? NOTHING !! What can they do ? NOTHING !!)

He completely backed up his colleague and wouldnt apologise for her actions, so in the end I said I'd pay the £20 a month (No do not pay a bean untill you send them a CCA request) as I didnt want bailiffs (Bailiffs wont come. Only a court can send bailiffs. if this went to court the judge would see your on benefits and order you to pay £1. IJ know this which is why the chance of this going to court are slim) or anyone banging my door and upsetting my daughter. (Call the police and report an intruder)

They even had the cheek to suggest I get the money off friends and family. (Against debt collection guidelines) So they were wanting a payment as soon as possible but had neglected to put a giro slip at the bottom of the letter and I only have a post office account so cannot pay by card. The man said he'd send a giro slip and they needed a payment by the end of this week. It's thursday now and that was last friday and I dont have a giro slip. (Dont worry about it, nothing is going to happen) They already rang the number yesterday that I called them from last week even though I'd said it wasn't my number, and refused to tell my friend what it was about, only that they were IJL and wanted my number so she gave them the number they already have. (Theres a letter you can send to stop the calls)

Now, sorry its long and I hope ur still with me, I thought they couldnt refuse an offer, no matter how small. Secondly I didnt think they could take further action if you'd made them an offer, regardless of if they accepted it, and thirdly I didnt think they could contact people on numbers that arent the debtors, especially if its been said that its not their number?

I'd like advice on what steps to take because I'm angry that they call several times a day, from 8am to after 8pm and behave in a way thats unacceptable and wont accept an offer I can afford. Please help! :confused:

Edited by ashmk
  • Haha 1

Thanks Ashmk, I called them out of anger because they'd refused my offer and then offered it me in a letter. They said I had to prove my income and outgoings and told me to go to a CAB and they'd fax through what I could afford and then they had to accept it. It's a lot of hassle trying to get in the CAB in the first place and I think they'd still refuse if it was proven by the CAB that £10 a month was all I could afford.

Hi, first of all my Natwest overdraft has been forwarded to Intrum Justitia, They were saying the same stuff to me. All i did was say i cannot afford more, if you wont accept my offer then the money will go towards other creditors who will. Send them a letter regarding harassment, I found this website to my benefit Two catalogues account have been written off due to no cca's. Now in the process off trying to write off two bcard accounts due to no cca. Dont worry remember being in debt is not a crime.

Hi,

I am just so angry for you:mad::mad:

These people(loosely called) have no morals whatsoever and as such need to be treated as the lowest form of life

send these:

Harassment by telephone - Consumer Wiki

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/letter-templates/131334-dca-response-threats-home.html#post1380478

I know money is tight but send the letters by recorded delivery. They will deny ever receiving them otherwise.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html#post2480

Send Natwest a SAR:

Do not sign anything, just print your name the SAR will cost a tenner I'm afraid but well worth it as you can claim back the penalty charges.

fox

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Edit this and send recorded....

ACCOUNT IN DISPUTE

Dear xxxx

Account Ref xxxx

Further to your recent correspondence, I am in the process of reclaiming the excessive penalty charges that have been added to this account. Please note that under the OFT's guidelines 2.8 section (k) which state -

not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or

disputed debt.

I would not expect to receive your harrassing and threatening calls. Therefore please be advised that I will only communicate with you in writing.

Furthermore, should it be your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance.

Your letters and phone calls have obviously caused me a great deal of unnecessary concern,and worry,resulting in me having to take third party advice,undergo law and internet research,and take time out to respond, as well as postage costs,to reply to your letter. As you represent a Bank, who regularly make charges to customers,I have taken the liberty of charging Natwest the sum of £35,(who are also responsible for the behaviour of their suppliers) which I will add to my costs against yourselves. If I have to respond to you again in writing I will add £35 for each time.

I further feel,that as a show of good faith by the Bank,that any further fees and/or interest should be frozen, pending the outcome of the OFT Test Case.

I would also point out that I intend to maintain my legal rights,and if necassary, file reports with the appropriate authorities, including, but not limited to, Trading Standards, Office of Fair Trading, Information Commissioners Office, Financial Ombudsman Service and possible court action. including the High Court.

I trust you will give this due diligence,and look forward to your reply within the next 14 days.

Yours faithfully

• Haha 1

Hi Lisa, glad you're having some success. How do I get a CCA from them, just write a letter asking for it? I honestly cant remember if I signed anything regarding them increasing my overdraft, so its possible they wont have paperwork.

Your overdraft isn't covered by the CCA so no point sending that.

If you could find the cash from somewhere, buy a small voice recorder and record the calls. They don't have to know you're doing so as long as you don't make the actual recordings available.

fox

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Always enclose £10 with the SAR and make sure it's a postal order. Expensive I know but you will be able to find out how much they have stung you for penalty charges which you could reclaim. This will reduce the debt.

Just one other thing, did you receive a notice of assignment? this is a letter stating that IJ have bought (or been assigned) the debt from Natwest and if so, how was it stamped?

• Haha 1

I got a letter from the saying:

We are now dealing with the administration of the above account and we have instructed to collect the outstanding balance in full.

It is essential that you contact us immediately to discuss matters in detail.

Alternatively, you should use the payment slip below to make your payment and telephone us to confirm this has been done.

I have an overdraft with Abbey. But it's all penalty charges. About £700 worth. Also they owe me another £600 in charges for the last 6 years. They also tried sending the account to a DCA, as soon as I tried reclaiming the charges.

Once you start the charges reclaiming process, then the DCA is in breach of OFT guidelines for trying to collect on a disputed debt. You'll need to write and point this out to them, with a threat of the OFT being informed of their actions unless they return the account to the Original Creditor.

That should get them off your back. Also complain to your bank too. As they are in the wrong for passing the account to the DCA in the first place.

With all the recent bad publicity the banks and DCA's have been getting in the media recently, (plus 1st Credit getting investigated by the OFT in the last few days.) they'll more than likely leave you alone.

If you wish to make payments until you are able to start your reclaim of charges, offer them a max of £1 a month. As you are on income support with a young child, then your income is what the Government consider to be the minimum you need to live on. A judge would also agree too, that's why it's very unlikely they would try taking you to court. As soon as they read a few CAG template letters from you, they'll soon realise they're going to lose out anyway.

• Haha 1

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related

A CPR request works better than a SAR, as it doesn't require a £10 fee, and gives them less time to produce the information you request.

Here's a link to a template letter for it.....

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/173201-why-you-shouldnt-use.html

The template letter you need is the second post on that thread.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

Use the CPR request to get copies of statements, so you can add up charges and start the reclaim process. Delete the bits about Credit agreements and add what documents you do need. Like Statements, default notice, Overdraft agreement paperwork, etc.

Once you have all the paperwork, then we can help you start reclaiming charges they've added to the account for up to the last 6 years.

Once you start the charges relaiming, it puts the account into dispute, and stops the DCA's dead in their tracks.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Sent off letters to both the bank and Intrum Justia. Had a letter back from Intrum Justia saying they took on my case with good intentions and are currently waiting for a reply from the bank. The bank sent me a letter received today saying I need to send £10. I thought a CPR request didn't cost money?

• 2 weeks later...

The bank have sent me another letter saying:

"Further to our letter of March 09, we have not received a reply to our request. We are therefore closing our file on this matter."

They sent the 1st letter on the 17th of March, I gave them 21 days prior to this and they haven't offered me the same courtesy! I'm gonna resend the original letter and reiterate its a CPR request not a SAR. Cheeky sods aint they!!!

They took it on with "good intentions" hahaha oh my sides hurt!!!!!!

Tell these leaches to get lost, they have no legal powers over you & report them to the OFT/trading standards just for good measure.

If you are on benefits like you say, then sending £10's off here & there is really not practicle if you have children etc..

If you can then great, if not - then you & your children take priority over something like that.

You can make an official complaint to your bank about the charges under the hardship provision which wont cost you anything & they usually pay up quite quickly under that as well.;)

Obtaining this information really isnt going to make a blind bit of difference as to weather you can repay or not - thats between you & a county court if it ever got that far.

Someone in your situation would repay £1 per month or even have a suspended judgement if there was nothing leftover to repay.