Faulty Oliver Sweeney Shoes

donaldtramp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4005 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Folks looking for a bit of advice.

I recently bought (5 weeks ago) a pair of Oliver Sweeney shoes and they have been absolutely useless. The quality has been absolutely appalling, they leaked water and upon drying the leather has blistered on the toes and there are now water marks(bubbled up) on the side on both shoes. They look terrible.

Certainly not the quality I would expect from a pair of £250 shoes!!!! You have been warned!

I specifically asked the assistant when buying them Oliver Sweeneys refund policy as this has happened with shoes I bought( from another manufacturer) before.

I was assured that this would not happen and if it did Oliver Sweeney would replace them straight away.

I have been back to the shop where I bought them and the manager has refused a refund. He said he had spoken to "the technical department" and that they had "water tested" them. He said they did not leak water when he tested them.

I can assure you that they did leak when I was wearing them.

I was asked how it happened. I said I was walking about at night and I had to walk in the rain as part of my night out.

The manager also said he would have to reprimand the sales assistant for telling me what he did when I was sold the shoes!! That is of absolutely no use to me. Surely that is miselling???

Surely the shoes are faulty. I mean you can't sell shoes that can only be worn inside!!!

Can I go for the small claims procedure? I stay in a town 120 miles from the shop I bought them in. Would the hearing (if I go for it) be in my local court or theirs? How does it work? Do I have to get a local cobbler to say that there is water damage?

The shoes were a treat and I would expect them to look good for more than the first time they go in the rain.

The shop tested them? That particular pair of shoes? Did they do this before or after the complaint? In case you have not guessed, they are talking utter proverbials of your choice. The fact that they have tested them is irrelevant.

S. 14 of Sale of Goods Act is your friend, especially given the price (I still have a perfectly fine pair of 8 year old shoes that cost me £20 but I digress). Write to them, pointing out that Part 5A of SoGA presumes that goods did not conform to the contract and it is for them to prove otherwise (which I think they will have a hard job doing). Also report this to Consumer Direct. Any return should be by post (which they are responsible for paying).

Edited by gyzmo
There is no Act governing the Sale of Gods

I know, I know I paid a lot for the shoes:rolleyes:

Just shows you, expensive names (Oliver Sweeney) doesn't = quality!!!!

I also have work shoes that cost far, far less and still working years on.

As for the testing, This is where it gets complicated.

I happened to be in the same town as where I bought the shoes yesterday, (the shoes were in the boot of my car)

So I went in to speak to the manager but he was on his lunch. I then left the shoes for him to look at. He did when I wasn't there. He then called my mobile to inform me that they had "tested" them. Unfortunately, due to work commitments I wasn't able to return to pick the shoes up and had to go home. (125 miles away!)

So now the shoes are at the shop (I will have to collect them) and I am 125 miles away.

Whats my next step? Consumer direct?

Some of my family stay close and should be able to go in and pick up the shoes.

Definitely report to Consumer Direct. Get a family friend to go round for you but only to either collect the refund or to take piccies of the shoes as evidence. Do not accept the shoes back. Put your rejection in writing to them.

Thanks Gyzmo!

Been in touch with Consumer Direct and have already downloaded and filled in the template letter.

I'm off to send recorded delivery now!

I have to get in touch with Consumer Direct when they respond/don't respond within 14 days.

The guy also said that seeing as I paid with my credit card I also have that avenue open to me.

Also small claims if I have to but I am expected to go through all other options first.

One thing is though, I paid using an egg money card. I take it I get full protection as I used it as a credit card? I've never been sure of the credit protection offered by EGG money.

Thanks again gyzmo!!!

• 1 month later...

Well I used the template letter from Consumerdirect and all I received back from the shop was a letter stating that they couldn't do anything to help me along with the faulty shoes.

I've given up! Just glad to be able to warn other folk.

So now I'm stuck with a pair of shoes that look cr@p! They were a few weeks old and look years and years old.

I've done some digging and it looks like the shoes are made in places like India and South Africa for buttons then sold with a huge mark up in the UK with tags such as "English shoemaker" and "Italian designed" when they are in fact made cheaply on foreign shores.

Can you imagine how much these shoes are made for abroad and then they are sold for 250 quid??? Someone's making money:rolleyes:

Ah well, you learn as you go along....it would seem that if you buy oliver sweeneys you can't wear them outside or in the rain.

Sort of defeats the whole concept of "shoes" really eh?

Report the matter to Consumer Direct. They cannot simply dismiss it like that without being taken to task. Remember as well taht you can claim your reasonable costs also.

• 1 year later...

Exactly the same thing happened to a pair of black leather Oliver Sweeney shoes I have. I wore them really only 2 or 3 times before getting caught in a downpour in London, I didn't travel far in the rain (from the Southside of London Bridge to London Bridge tube) and by the time I got home and dried the shoes they too bubbled up all around the sides and over the toes where water had creaped in and damaged the leather.

I bought the shoes in Harvey Nichols and didn't bother taking them back or reporting the problem just becasue of the time it would have taken and the hassle but having read this post felt compelled tp report the issue too. I have 3 other pairs of Sweeney's shoes and they've been fine but I certainly wouldn't buy another pair. As the first person said, be warned!!

• 2 years later...

Exactly the same here.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

I bought at pair of Oliver Sweeney Breedon shoes from their website in the sale. The quality was appalling and the sole came apart from the shoe in under a week.

When i sent the shoes back they advised that the item was faulty. But they had discounted the item and a like for like replacement would cost me a further £196 as they had increased there prices.

Shocking customer service and poor quality shoes.

I Robins