Bonus Vs Kensington Mortgages

Bonus77
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6359 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Bonus,

I sent this one to SPML, Just mod it to suit you.

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBER:

We are very disappointed that you have failed to address our request for repayment of the Early Redemption Charges within the 14 days, as required in our letter of 31 July 2006.

We now understand that the regime of ‘fees’ which you have applied to our account in relation to Early Redemption Charges is unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

We would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that we opened our account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

We are frankly shocked that you have operated our account in this way as we had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as our fiduciary.

We calculate that you have taken £plus £which you have charged us in Early Redemption Charges. Total £.

We require repayment of this money, in full, as you have not provided the calculations or proof of your liquidated losses. If you do not comply fully within 14 days then we shall begin a claim against you for the full amount plus interest plus costs and without further notice.

Yours Sincerely

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay.. havent quite sent the LBA yet, but received a reply to my prelim and thought I would put it here and ask what sort of adjustments I need to make to my LBA.

As your mortgage account completed on the 30 April 2002 and redeemed on 27 April 2004, we were correct in charging you 6% of the amount repaid.

There are substatial costs involved in originating and administering mortgages and we seek to recover these costs over the term of the mortgage. For this reason, the minimum loan term we allow is 5 years. Had we been informed at the time of your application that your mortgage was to be repaid within 2 years, then we would not have offered the mortgage to you. When borrowers repay their mortgage early, we seek to recover these costs by way of the ERC.

The ERC represents a genuine pre-estimate of the costs we incur, which include the following:

- Fees payable to intermediaries involved in introducing the loan, which are calculated as a percentage of the loan.

- Costs in relation to the funding the mortgage, also calculated as a percentage of the loan.

- Operational costs.

As can be seen from the above examples, certain costs are determined by the size of the loan, as they are equivilent to a percentage of the initial advance. Therefore I fully believe the way by which we calculate an ERC, as a percentage of the amount repaid, is a reflection of true costs fair and reasonable.

We have also provided details of our ERC's to both the OFT and the FSA and they have not stated that they are excessive or disproportionately high.

For these reasons, we are not prepared to refund the ERC you incurred on redemption of your mortgage. I appreciate that youve requested a full breakdown of these costs, unfortunately i'm unable to provide you with this, as it isnt a service we offer. I trust that the above details will be sufficient.

In paragraph four of your letter (Zoot's excellent prelim), youve advised us that a fee was charged to your mortgage account, in respect of protecting ourselves against any commercial risk. I believe you are reffering to a higher lending fee; however, I can confirm that no such fee was applied to your account.

Within your letter dated 14 September 2006 ( These refer to my earlier charges LBA), you've advised us that our fees are unfair, I can advise that these charges are set out within the mortgage offer and according to the OFT, are thereby exepmt from the test of fairness. In signing the mortgage offer youve agreed to these t&c's. We will therefore not be able to offer a refund of these charges.

I can advise that these charges are a pre estimate of the loss incurred. Unfortunately im unable to provide details of our fees as this is also, not a service we offer. Nevertheless, the fees that youve reffered to in your letter, cover work such as issuing of letters, additional telephone contact, and arranging and securing payments relating to accrued mortgage arrears.

In closing, may I thank you for taking the time and trouble to bring your concerns to our attention. I understand that our response may not be what your hoping for, and trust that my response has fully explained our position.

Blah, blah.

Okay, so I know I need to modify the LBA a little more, but any tips on any points I should raise?

Okay.. havent quite sent the LBA yet, but received a reply to my prelim and thought I would put it here and ask what sort of adjustments I need to make to my LBA.

As your mortgage account completed on the 30 April 2002 and redeemed on 27 April 2004, we were correct in charging you 6% of the amount repaid.

There are substatial costs involved in originating and administering mortgages and we seek to recover these costs over the term of the mortgage. For this reason, the minimum loan term we allow is 5 years. Had we been informed at the time of your application that your mortgage was to be repaid within 2 years, then we would not have offered the mortgage to you. When borrowers repay their mortgage early, we seek to recover these costs by way of the ERC.

The ERC represents a genuine pre-estimate of the costs we incur, which include the following:

- Fees payable to intermediaries involved in introducing the loan, which are calculated as a percentage of the loan.

These get paid to intermediatry at beginning of loan - whether you redeem or not.

- Costs in relation to the funding the mortgage, also calculated as a percentage of the loan.

- Operational costs.

As can be seen from the above examples, certain costs are determined by the size of the loan, as they are equivilent to a percentage of the initial advance. Therefore I fully believe the way by which we calculate an ERC, as a percentage of the amount repaid, is a reflection of true costs fair and reasonable.

We have also provided details of our ERC's to both the OFT and the FSA and they have not stated that they are excessive or disproportionately high.

For these reasons, we are not prepared to refund the ERC you incurred on redemption of your mortgage. I appreciate that youve requested a full breakdown of these costs, unfortunately i'm unable to provide you with this, as it isnt a service we offer. I trust that the above details will be sufficient.

In paragraph four of your letter (Zoot's excellent prelim), youve advised us that a fee was charged to your mortgage account, in respect of protecting ourselves against any commercial risk. I believe you are reffering to a higher lending fee; however, I can confirm that no such fee was applied to your account.

Within your letter dated 14 September 2006 ( These refer to my earlier charges LBA), you've advised us that our fees are unfair, I can advise that these charges are set out within the mortgage offer and according to the OFT, are thereby exepmt from the test of fairness.

Where exactly was this said

In signing the mortgage offer youve agreed to these t&c's. We will therefore not be able to offer a refund of these charges.

I can advise that these charges are a pre estimate of the loss incurred. Unfortunately im unable to provide details of our fees as this is also, not a service we offer. Nevertheless, the fees that youve reffered to in your letter, cover work such as issuing of letters, additional telephone contact, and arranging and securing payments relating to accrued mortgage arrears.

In closing, may I thank you for taking the time and trouble to bring your concerns to our attention. I understand that our response may not be what your hoping for, and trust that my response has fully explained our position.

Blah, blah.

Okay, so I know I need to modify the LBA a little more, but any tips on any points I should raise?

I am expecting one of these from ME soon - see if you track down Zoot she will have more ideas for your response to this.

Good Luck

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

"Within your letter dated 14 September 2006 ( These refer to my earlier charges LBA), you've advised us that our fees are unfair, I can advise that these charges are set out within the mortgage offer and according to the OFT, are thereby exepmt from the test of fairness."

That right there is a load of bollocks. In fact the OFT report on CC charges stated quite clearly that there was an obvious read-across of the report's conclusions to late payment charges etc. on mortgages.

Halifax (current a/c)- £3705.00

04/09/06 - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent - lost by P.O.

20/09/06 - Prelim letter sent (special delivery)

30/09/06 - Reply to Prelim; Received statements

04/10/06 - LBA sent (special delivery)

14/10/06 - Offer received - £962 (err..no)

17/10/06 - MCOL issued: £3705 + £777.11 interest

19/10/06 - Moneyclaim acknowledged w/intent to defend

28/10/06 - SETTLED IN FULL!!

To be continued: Capital One(charges); Citi/Associates(charges); GMAC(ERC); GEMoney(charges); TMG(charges)

Hi.

I had one charge and an ERC with Birmingham Midshires. I put both together as it related to the same account. You should'nt be too concerned with what they have said in their letter. They have admitted to the charges, but not sent a breakdown of how much it really did cost. They have basically said 'here is where the money went'. It is now up to them to prove it really did cost the amount you are claiming. A full disclosure has'nt been given, so you must proceed to the next step. The Mortgage Jedi Zootscoot will no doubt add something later. Remember, They have to Defend your claim. Your suing them.

Good luck

Uk...

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

if they have had the prelim approach for return of your charges and 14 days to come back to you then their LBA with 14 days (28 days notice in total) yes proceed to MCOL!

if my advice has been of any help to you then please click the scales ! Thank you :D

hi all,been to court with my son today for a possession hearing with kensington.the sloicitor who was representing kensington was very nice and apologised for kensington bullying my son into a payment arrangement he could not afford.he has a sale agreed on the house and it should be all done and dusted in a month.no chain ,people who are buying it have sold their house and are being pressed to get out.the judge was not at all impressed with kensington and made several remarks of "ridiculous"about kensingtons attempt to get possession.she gave my son a 56 day suspended order and told him not to worry,if the house wasn't sold towards the end of the 56 days to come back to court and she would give him another suspension order.as soon as it's sold i'm going after them for any and every penalty charge made on his account.

• 5 weeks later...

Okay.. update on my MCOL claim for the charges part on the mortgage.

Its 28 days since the claim was issued. How long do I have to wait now to press the "judgment" button? Its from when it was deemed served isnt it? I think thats the monday coming, but was hoping someone could clarify?

Thanks

Hi

It was my understanding that you can register the judgement 14 days after the claim is served unless they acknowledge the claim when you can only register the judgement after 28 days. I may be wrong, but that's what I've understood.

Good luck Bonus.

Halifax 1

WON - £1,355.49 21/07/06

MINT

WON - £273.81 14/09/06

First Direct

WON - £913.50 01/09/06

Capital One

WON - £130.13 03/11/06

Halifax 2

WON - £188.03 01/12/06

Kensington Mortgages ERC

MCOL for £6,204.39 Discontinued

Halifax Mortgage Admin fee

WON - £10.00

Direct Line Mortgage Redemption Fee

WON - £99.00

Halifax 3

MCOL for £109.01 reg 07/03/07

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/redemptionfees/

Please sign this petition x

Okay.. update on my MCOL claim for the charges part on the mortgage.

Its 28 days since the claim was issued. How long do I have to wait now to press the "judgment" button? Its from when it was deemed served isnt it? I think thats the monday coming, but was hoping someone could clarify?

Thanks

Have they acknowledged claim at all? If not then go for judgement which would be on day 19 after issue (takes 5 days before it is deemed served)

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Yes, that is right. So it is 28 days from when it was deemed served.

Fingers crossed for you that they don't pull a fast one at the last minute.

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

** Nationwide - £1821.15-PAID IN FULL - Aug 06 **

** Halifax Mortgage -£390 - PAID IN FULL - Nov 06 **

Lloyds TSB - MCOL issued 09/03/07 - £2953 + costs - ON HOLD....

You're very close to Judgement day Bonus - don't be surprised if they come up with something at the last minute though - think they have a trick of doing that.

Good luck, I've got my fingers crossed for you :)

Halifax 1

WON - £1,355.49 21/07/06

MINT

WON - £273.81 14/09/06

First Direct

WON - £913.50 01/09/06

Capital One

WON - £130.13 03/11/06

Halifax 2

WON - £188.03 01/12/06

Kensington Mortgages ERC

MCOL for £6,204.39 Discontinued

Halifax Mortgage Admin fee

WON - £10.00

Direct Line Mortgage Redemption Fee

WON - £99.00

Halifax 3

MCOL for £109.01 reg 07/03/07

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/redemptionfees/

Please sign this petition x

Hi ellielou what's a MCOL?

Trying to get my head round the terminology

Subject Access Request for Kensington sent:23/11/06

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) for Clysdale sent on 24/01/07 which they lost, sent again on 04/04/07

AA Payed in full £85:00 15/07/06 woo hoo!!

King's Lyn Gym, £550 settled. Woo hoo my first win!