Phone House - possible fraudulent account?!?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5590 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, i have a slightly parculiar problem here now, I will try and make it as short as possible, and any advice would be gratefully received!

I've had a call from my sister who is in her 30's, but has sever learning difficulties and has a mental age at time of around 15. Her long-term boyfriend left her a few days ago and since then, it has come to her attention that he has taken out a new 18month T-Mobile contract IN HER NAME!

The larger picture is this; she had a contract in her name for him that runs out on 6th feb (no probs with this one, she knew about it) but at the begining of Jan, her now ex-boyfriend received a call on this phone it was people from Phone House.

The ex-bf, my sister went on the phone (stupidly) to say that they could talk to the boyfriend. He told her that it was a free upgrade and that there would be no contract etc.

Now it has turned out that there was a contract. Part of her learning problems are that she doesn't always remember everything and so I cannot say, at this point, with any certainty what was and was not said. But at the moment, she cannot remember anyone explaining to her that she was agreeing to a new contract and she cannot remember okaying such a move - only okaying him to speak to them about a free upgrade.

I know this is all a bit complex, but know he has gone and left her with an 18month contract that is no use to her - and he has taken the phone they sent as well!! We have had the SIM Card blocked so he cannot use it, but he still has the phone and it is outside the 14 day period (just) so we can't just cancel.

I guess my quesion really is this; We do not think that it was ever explained to my sister that she was entering into a new contract and we do not think that the agreed to this, and so:

1- How can we prove what was and wasn't said in that conversation? (Subject Access Request?)

2- For this contract that they claim she took out to be valid do they have to have a recording and/or transcript of the conversation? (She has not signed anything).

3- Should we be reporting this to the police?

Any advice would be really appreciated because, as you can see, we are in a tricky situation and I am certain that my mentally-ill and learning disabled sister is being taken advantage of!!

Please help.

UF

I am rarely around these parts any more. I only stop by when something has come to my attention that has sufficiently annoyed me so as to persuade me to awake from my nap and put in my two pence.

I am a final year law student; I am NOT an expert in law. All of my posts are just my opinion. I cannot be held responsible for any outcome whatsoever resulting from any person following the opinions or information contained within my posts. Always seek professional legal advice from a qualified lawyer.

Yes this is what I thought. Thanks for the reply. :-)

Is there any chance you could point me in the direction of a SAR Template for such purpose?

Thanks again.

UF

I am rarely around these parts any more. I only stop by when something has come to my attention that has sufficiently annoyed me so as to persuade me to awake from my nap and put in my two pence.

I am a final year law student; I am NOT an expert in law. All of my posts are just my opinion. I cannot be held responsible for any outcome whatsoever resulting from any person following the opinions or information contained within my posts. Always seek professional legal advice from a qualified lawyer.

A Subject Access Request can be tailored to your specific requirements. You will need to enclose a legally required fee of £10.00.

If this was done over the phone, then I would think no written contract exists. Would they perhaps have kept a record of the phone call. You would need to request that.

I dont want to give you duff information, so I will ask a mod or site helper if they can pop in and advise what information you need to request. Please bear in mind that there are a lot of threads/new posts and only a few mod/site helpers who are all volunteers so they might not pop in this evening.

I will pop back and see if you have had any responses and keep your thread nudged.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Cheers citizen, your help is much appreciated!! :-)

UF

You don't need to put much at all on any Subject Access Request because all you want is all information about the subject. This is a basic template. How to access information - Information Commissioner's Office (ICO)

There are regulations regarding disabilities I think, but I'm not too familiar with them. Does your sister handle her own financial affairs or does anyone have Power of Attourney or some kind of guardianship to deal with them for her?

It does strike me however that the contract may have been taken out fraudulently so I'd be inclined to contact the police too.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Alternatively (and I can't take credit for this) you could write to the phone company with all the details and ask them to cancel the conract. If they refuse, go to the papers.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks guys, can someone possibly clear something up for me please?

We know there would be no writted contract, but my understanding is that Phone House and T-Mobile are saying that my sister entered into a new contract over the phone.

If, for sake of argument, neither of these companies has a transcript or recording of this call - then where on earth can we go from there?

I mean, if they have no transcript or recording then how can they prove that there is a contract and, more worryingly, how can we prove that there is not?

Thanks in advance.

UF

The burden of proof is always on the one claiming. If it was the other way around, the world would be open to a million scams.

If they want you to pay, they have to prove that you owe and if they can't there is no debt.