Income Support - Never Claimed Benefits Before Help!

fairynuff777
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5577 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Ive never claimed benefits before ! Anyway just split up with my husband i was working up until 4 months ago.

Top and bottom of it is im left with two kids and no money also a mortgage ???

I know obviously i must go to the local DSS office to fill out forms but how long will it be til i get any money ?

Also what about my mortgage payments ?

I like i said dont have a clue about the system .My husband left last week and i have no money now to feed my kids etc.

advice please.:confused:

Hi fairynuff777,

I am very sorry to hear about your situation. There is a website that you can get a lot of information Website of the UK government : Directgov that you need to help you. You cab also go to your citizen advice bureau for help. I am sure there is a lot of help you can get as you have children too.

I suggest you ring up the benefits inquiry helpline and tell them of your situation, and they will be in a better position to give you the correct advice.

Good luck and please don't worry too much. :)

The best way to apply is via the telephone you give your details first then they will confirm in the post which confirms the date you are to go to the job centre during the interview you will be asked to confirm the information you gave over the phone, you can also claim for housing help if you are in rented house, school meals, and help with your council tax as well.

It not nice to claim but times can get hard, we have been through it over the last few weeks, also if you need cash now you can apply for cash loan so you need to ask

regards

Good luck

I have found myself in a very similar situation. I used the benefit calculator below to see how much I would be entitled to live on.

Start Calculation

Depending on the ages of children you should be able to claim Income support and chld tax credits. Your claim will only be backdated to the day you first make contact regarding it, so get on the phone asap.

You can also apply for help with paying the interest on your mortgage although there is a 13 week wait.

Also have a look at the link below if your children were born between 1986 and 2003 as you may be entitled to a payment of £520 or £1040.

Can you claim Children's Tax Credit from 2002/3? - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

I got that link from MSE which has loads of money saving tips to help make what little you have stretch.

Hope all this helps.

You can get your Income Support Claim backdated up to a month if you have recently seperated and didnt get around to claiming from that date

You just need to ask when you make your call to the contact centre

or if you have already claimed now put it into writing when you send of your forms after signing them.