Drink Driving Medical

liverpool-paul
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2748 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have to go and get my D1 form yet but I am due my license back by may at the earliest.

I am worried about failing the medical because I do enjoy a drink and can easily handle a bottle of wine a night.

And now I fear I may have left it a bit late to apply and if I leave it a while longer I could have my license back sooner than if I applied now and failed the test having to wait six months.

Who are the DVLA to decide what the law is?

They don't run these tests to get your license to begin with so why now?

All they're doing is telling you what you can and can't do!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone

I really hope you guys are still watching this as I've been reading a few forum posts over the last couple of days and have got myself into a total panic and really need some advice :(

In 1998 I got into my mate's car when I was 3 days into being 18 and drink drove for about 1 mile to the garage to get us some cigarettes before crashing into a bin. I'd never done anything illegal before or since. A police car was passing and I got breathalysed, etc, etc and ended up with a drink driving ban. I was genuinely so traumatised by the whole criminal process I haven't bothered applying again as everytime I thought about driving it brought it all back to me.

Anyway, I'm going to be 30 in a few months so I decided to get my arse into gear and apply for my provisional and get license int ime for the big 30. After paying 3 different cheques to the DVLA since I applied in Dec I've now been served with this medical letter as I am deemed a High Risk Offender as I was 2x over the legal limit :(

I got the letter on Monday and called the Doctor they'd appointed on the Tues and arranged an appointment for next week thinking nothing of it. I decided to read up a little on the actual medical itself and came across all these forum posts about being a normal drinker and getting your license refused!!!

I've never been a heavy drinker -well I don't think what I consume is heavy?? Normally I'd have perhaps 1 or 2 large glasses of red spread throughout the week (but often no alcohol at all in the week) and then have the equivalent of around 2/4 glasses of wine on a fri or sat if I'm out with mates at a bar or club, etc. I work in the media and I'm considered quite straight-laced (but then I suppose that is for the media industry). Then again at Christmas and at a couple of do's over the last 2 months I've probably gone above this- almost always only drinking wine- with the max amount maybe 6 glasses. This would only happen very rarely though.

I'm now terrified that I'm going to fail this medical :(

So I called back the DVLA Dr and rearranged my medical for the end of April- thinking I would either not drink at all or cut out drinking completely until then. (Gutted as I have several B'day and special events but if that's what it takes then I will totally do it.) I also called my GP and asked if I could arrange a blood test and have that this coming monday (3 days time).

I then read the forum post about the questions posed on the questionnaire and realised that if my Dr did my blood test and found any high levels and recommended me not to drink until the medical I would have to answer Yes to the question- Has your Dr ever advised you to reduce your alcohol- which would then make me look like I had a drink problem!!! So I'm wondering if I should cancel this blood test on Monday????

Am I freaking out over nothing? Is it only people who've had a drinking problem in the past that fail?!? I'm so confused and so worried about this...

If anyone can help me out with any advice I'd really really appreciated it.

Thanks so much in advance.

Hi everyone,

Had a good read through this thread and i can see it's really pot luck on this!

I got banned almost 18 months back and my ban is up in a few weeks 16/04/10

I did the drink drive course but missed the last 2 sessions and ended up wasting my money and had to serve my full ban! I have been drinking much much more than before i got banned and have been drinking every weekend and in the week quite a lot as i've been unemployed for the past 6 months and also lost my previous job because of the ban. The last 18 months has been hell and a very hard lesson to learn.

I lost my car which was 7k down the drain and was going through a lot as i had just broken up with my ex after 11 years which was the reason for being a moron and drink driving in the first place.

Anyway sorry to bore you all but my question is this. I had contacted the dvla a few weeks back and asked them when my ban was up and was told the date (16/04/10) and they said to just send off for my new licence and a cover note would usually be sent out 2 weeks before my ban is up?! I thought this to be odd but just went along with it. I was also told that I may have to take a medical and i was also told that because i'm currently unemployed i may not have to pay for this but knowing the dvla this is most prob untrue!

I was hoping they might just send out my licence and i would be lucky but now starting to realize this won't happen.

Is it possible i could even pass this medical so soon or should i wait a few months first? I've even gone and spent 5k on a new car so really don't know what to do now?!?!

I have also been taking diazipam for the last 3 weeks will this affect the medical results? I'm 32 and have never really been a big drinker apart from weekends but the last 18 months i have probably drunk more than i had before the ban! Any help/info would be great.

Edited by Wez4real

Have now decided to buy some milk thistle tablets from my local health shop. £7 for 30 tablets and going to to not touch a drop of booze until this is all over with.

I'm going to contact the dvla today and ask them when i can take this medical as i only have a few weeks left on my ban and have already sent my D1 a few weeks ago so i'm hoping i can just drive when the ban is up and do the medical in the meantime...is this correct? thanks for any help!!!:roll:

Just been on the phone to the DVLA and they said they will send out a letter soon regarding the medical but i will be able to drive from midnight on 16/04/10 but if i fail then they will suspended me for 6 months before i can take this again!!!!!

God i'm so stressed right now. I'm going to swallow these tablets like a drug addict and drink water like there's no tomorrow....fingers crossed i spose but considering the amount of alcohol i've had in the past few years i can't see them ever giving me my licence back:o

Hi there

Can anyone suggest how I can lower my MCV levels?

My blood results all came back normal- Gamma, AST levels particulary low- but my MCV is a bit high- 98- I believe 80-100 is normal.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

hi there mate 98 is fine as it needs to be lower than 100, mcv levels show recent and long term alcohol intake levels, the enlarged cells last for 120 days, there are other DD forums that go into more detail about each test

Drink Driving | The DVLA Medical Standards | Fitness to Drive

this will clear up any worries you have.

Thanks guys.

I had a holiday in Wales with my best friend who was over frm LA and drank a bit of wine but haven't drank now since April 5th. It'll be a break of just over 3 weeks so hopefully the little 'binge' won't affect things too much. Fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...

People can I just say, having read a whole lot of messages from distraught individuals, three important things.

1. If you write anything on your medical questionnaire that can be checked by someone later then you're in the brown stuff. So no saying you've never had a problem with booze if your GP knows otherwise. Nine times out of ten your GP will be contacted.

2. Alcohol can leave the bloodstream within 24 hours (depending on the quantity consumed of course) however it can still tell tales on you if they ask for a urine sample.

"With some urine alcohol tests, alcohol can be detected up to around 48 hours after a person has ingested alcohol. With the EtG Urine Alcohol Test, however the presence of EtG in the urine demonstrates that ethanol alcohol was ingested within the past 3 or 4 days, or roughly 80 hours after the ethanol alcohol has been metabolized by the body.

Think this through for a moment. No, the EtG Urine Alcohol Test cannot tell how much alcohol a person ingested, but it can, however, detect alcohol consumption after the alcohol has been metabolized by the person's body. The significance of this is that if the person, for instance, has stated that he or she has stopped drinking for any period of time, this test will show that they are not telling the truth"

So dont tell someone or write on a questionaire that you stopped drinking a week ago when you haven't.

3. Between the time when your disqualification ends and the DVLA get their finger out and get you to a Medical and finally arrive at a decision, you are entitled to drive a car (assuming you had a car driving licence before disqualification) or any vehicle you were previously entitled to drive for as long as it takes the DVLA to confirm or deny your licence.

PROVIDING THEY HAVE RECEIVED YOUR DRIVING LICENCE APPLICATION FORM AND FEE. You can check this by sending your application via Recorded Delivery and track the delivery via the Post Office.

I know this to be true as I have driven for over four years while waiting for the DVLA to get their act together and believe me that's not the longest period recorded.:rolleyes:

"Driving before your licence is returned = Once DVLA has received your valid application you can drive before you receive your licence as long as you:

• have held a GB or Northern Ireland licence issued since 1 January 1976 or another exchangeable licence
  • aren’t disqualified from driving (there are different rules for medium or large vehicles, minibus or bus drivers - the traffic commissioner for your area will decide whether to grant your entitlement to drive these vehicles)
  • haven’t been refused a licence for medical reasons or for failing to comply with medical enquiries
  • wouldn’t be refused a licence for medical reasons (if in doubt, check with your doctor)
  • keep to any special conditions which apply to the licence"

Edited by Sir Drinkalot

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya, is anyone still checking this ??!! I received my letter from the DVLA last week regarding my medical, so I'll be calling up this week to make an appointment! Thought I would check back and see how people have got on with medicals recently?! I'm still terrified about it-partly because I hate needles, and partly because I am convinced they are just trying to find an excuse to not give me my license and charge me more money!! :rolleyes: But I guess I will just have to wait and see! I have to get to Richmond which isn't exactly easy when you can't drive and the nearest train station is about 10 miles away!! Anyway I've sent off my license application so fingers crossed it all goes well!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, sooo happy av found this forum, really useful and like use all say, gr8 2 not get criticised for something ur already paying n suffering for!!!

Anyway my story is i refused breathaliser as i wasn't driving (honest!) told them i wiz drunk but y should i give sample for them 2 take my license when not drink drove. :evil:

But couple of months later i actually got caught, the morning after, just over the limit so as a result i have a dr10 and dr30.

Got 350 fine, 3 year ban, done 180 hrs cs, have 2 get medical then retake the test all over again, even tho i had a full license for 4 years with not even a speeding ticket, wheres the justice eh.:mad::mad:

Anyway i have sent away 90 quid and d1 form and just waiting on next word and jump thro wotever hoops have to next!

I am not alcohol dependant or misuse but like alot o u have said, ur freedom is took away so u end up filling up ur time with other things, i.e drink! so I would say that i have been drinking most weekends, prob considered binge for limits woman are supposed 2 have and also thro the week on occassion if boredom serves :-| not had drink from 30th april at 2 partys so defo a binge and not gonna drink until do test aswel as get milk things ...... think i'll be ok? any advice or opinions would be much appreciated :)

Further update to the previous post I wrote regarding what not to do when attending a medical.

1. If your disqualification has ended and you're waiting for the DVLA or a medical or whatever, you are entitled to drive whatever vehicle you drove before your ban i.e. lorry, car, milkfloat etc. If you send off your new driving licence application to Swansea make sure you send it via recorded delivery then track the consignment on the Post Office web site. That way you can prove your application has arrived (although technically your application has to be opened and processed before you can drive) so its up to you if you drive or wait for the "Medical appointment" letter.

2. Dont lie at your medical as blood and urine can find you out for up to three weeks in arrears.

3. IF YOU CAN try to get a blood test, prior to the DVLA medical, organised with your local GP or testing laboratory. Either lie to your GP and say you feel you have liver problems or ask them nicely if you know them well. If you can manage to get tested, make sure you tick the boxes for AST, ALT and GGT test levels. My GP did it as a matter of course through a "Wellman" checkup and the results showed

45 U/L GGT

GGT (gamma glutamyl transpeptidase) is often elevated in those who use alcohol or other liver-toxic substances to excess.

The normal range of GGT is 0-45 U/L.

32 U/L ALT

ALT (alanine aminotransferase), which was previously called SGPT, is more specific for liver damage. The normal range of ALT is 0 to 45 U/L

28 U/L AST

AST (aspartate aminotransferase), which was previously called SGOT, can also be elevated in heart and muscle diseases and is not liver specific.

The normal range of AST is 0 to 45 U/L

These are supposedly the key enzymes that can show up anomalies within the liver. Even though higher ratings for all these tests could equally be down to other issues such as fatty liver

"Three patients are reported with a prior history of alcohol misuse accompanied by abnormal liver toxicity tests and other indices of alcohol misuse. A decreased but persistently raised serum ?-glutamyl transferase activity during subsequent abstinence or controlled drinking was interpreted incorrectly as due to continued alcohol misuse whereas obesity-related fatty liver was the probable cause. The value of serum carbohydrate deficient transferrin assays in the differential diagnosis of abnormal liver toxicity tests is emphasized"

If you cant get your friendly GP to do the test then MAYBE it might be worth paying for a test privately. Please bear in mind that if you ask your GP about these issues and request a Liver function test they may be required to report such events to the DVLA if requested.

After you receive your Medical letter from the DVLa you will have 90 days to organise and attend your medical. So that's enough time to organise the Liver function test, obtain the results then decide whether you need to change the results with sustained abstinence/diet/exercise etc.

Dr Sandra Cabot's Liver Doctor - Love your Liver and Live Longer

If the levels you test for are higher than the norm maybe you could try various detox options for both the liver Detoxify Your Liver: Baseline's Alternative Health Newsletter and the colon Baseline of Health Foundation - Detox Program: Colon Cleanse.

(Please be aware that I cannot verify the effectiveness of these detox programs but if your enzyme levels are higher than the norm you clearly have to do something to reduce those levels).

If you value your licence (and if you have any doubt whether you'd pass the DVLA standards) then the least you can do is get checked with some sort of reputable testing system. If nothing else it'll make you realise that the liver needs to be looked after and a couple of months of alcohol abstinence is no big deal in the overall scheme of things.

Good luck

Edited by Sir Drinkalot

• 4 weeks later...

first time ive ever visited this part of cag

you want to thank your lucky stars at whats happened

10 years ago i reapplied for my d/l after serving stat period for late on set epilepsy.

filled in med questionaire truthfully and because i told them i had been into a detox unit five years previously my license was suspended for a further year and was told that i had to remain alchohol free for 12 months

never been done for drink driving or anything.

now nine years and 3 licenses later they still ask me when i had my last drink.

im due to renew my license in july had the usual questionairre now it transpires that because i had argon laser treatment to stop a small bleed behind my eye im now visually disabled yet pass all the requirements laid out in rta and med requirements,

i can pass a clas 1 caa medical but the dvla dont accept this further their medical examiners are basically made up of non experts and mainly gps from the cardiff area

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys & girls

Well I have joined the club lost my licence today but very very lucky only got 12 months and will get three off if I do the drink awareness thing

Problem is I have been in the licensed industry for the past 30 years and have drank almost every day 1 or 2 bottles of wine actually I am now a bit under control but not alcohol free think it has taught me a lesson

The point is as I failed to provide I am certain I will need a DVLA medical

Does anyone know what I can drink over the next 9 months on a weekly basis that might enable my liver to return to normal and say I then abstain from drinking say for the last month or so before my medical

Also I have tried to locate a private doctor to get readings done now but cant find one I can trust not to contact my own GP

Im not looking to drink and drive again just think its unrealistic to say you cant drink at all to hold a licence again in my life ??

Any ideas and good luck to all you looking to get through it now

I've just managed to get my license back!!! Thank god!!

I did the awareness course too & although at times it felt a but like an AA meeting , it does help you to work out shat you can drink etc. I would say I've been a typical binge drinker for a very long time! I drink far too much at weekends & have probably been drinkng more since not having my license. I did wonder if I would pass the medical. My medical lasted about 5 mins if that! But I passed! In the 3 weeks before my medical I had about 3 glasses if wine.

I would say unless you intend quitting drink for good then just try & cut it down a bit. Seems to be that you need to show you aren't dependant on alcohol. I'm not but I do like a drink! Now I have my wheels back I'm going to be very careful with my drinking. I don't ever want to go through this again!!

Good luck to you & if I can help with anything just shout!!

I've just managed to get my license back!!! Thank god!!

I did the awareness course too & although at times it felt a but like an AA meeting , it does help you to work out what/when you can drink etc. I would say I've been a typical binge drinker for a very long time! I drink far too much at weekends & have probably been drinkng more since not having my license as I've had a cipule in the week if I'm out! I did wonder if I would pass the medical. My medical lasted about 5 mins if that! But I passed! In the 3 weeks before my medical I had about 3 glasses if wine.

I would say unless you intend quitting drink for good then just try & cut it down a bit. Seems to be that you need to show you aren't dependant on alcohol. I'm not but I do like a drink! Now I have my wheels back I'm going to be very careful with my drinking. I don't ever want to go through this again!!

Good luck to you & if I can help with anything just shout!!

i understand its wrong but ive learned from my own experience with the dvla be as limited with the truth without telling lies to dvla it doesnt pay to be truthfull. its now almost 10 years since i had a drink have never been done for d/d or failing to supply but i told them id had a detox whist i was "off" the road dur to suspension for epilepsy caused by rta i was told i had to have a full years total abstinance before they would consider renewing my license. rta 100 is a route not worth considering.

i am due for my license to be renewed again have been waiting so far 14 weeks since reapplied all their med enquiries including their drinking document. they havent even sent out enquiries yet thet apparently have millions of medical encs a day , they are a shambles

have just read through the thread again and checked rta 1988 sec95/5/and 8 it has to be stated that a high reading on lft is not a prescibed disability or a future disability. yes the dvla will argue that it points to possible alcohol abuse, however if they do not at the time of the medical take a blood alcohol test their is no way they can prove abuse unless you or your doctor indicate so. there are many factors which can raise lft levels eg prescribed medications and non pom meds can also raise lft levels. they are really stupid at medical branch and are somewhat like a jack russell once theyve got their teeth into you they dont like to let go.

an example i supplied an independant neurologists report including eeg and mri results on my application years ago. they would not accept it. they insisted on sending me to their own doctor, yes youve guessed it it was the same consultant.

any problems re medicals even though ive in the past state that sec100 of rta isnt worth bothering about on meds it is. threaten them with costs of expert witnessses and they normally back down

• 4 months later...

Help!!! I had a DVLA medical back in mid september. I had quit drinking for 6 weeks prior to the medical, and felt pretty fit and healthy. I called today to find out the status of my application. I was told they had written to my doctor and my application was currently being handled by their team and that there is a back log. In the meantime they are issuing a temproray cover note to allow me to drive! Does this mean I have more than likely failed the medical??? and if so why do they issue a temproray license? are they saying its ok to drive this month but not next month? im confused by their logic, can anyone shed any light?

Thanks!

Scot Free, I am no medical expert nor am I a lawyer or policeman however having been issued with a temporary licence by DVLA, I am 99% certain that there's nothing wrong with you or your medical report otherwise the DVLA would have stopped at the point of issuing.

Please remember the DVLA is under no obligation to get drivers back behind the wheel asap. They couldnt give a monkey's how long your application takes but they're also aware that withholding a persons ability to drive is an infrigement of their personal liberties.

Dont forget that if you are no longer disqualified by your driving ban i.e. your disqualification period has finished, you are, under normal circs, allowed to drive providing the DVLA has received a valid driving licence application from you. Even if you need a medical before driving again..

Sir Drinkalot,

Thank you for the positive response, I was concerned that they had contacted my doctor because the results werent good, maybe they do this as a matter of routine, i dont know. I will post when i get feedback from DVLA.

Cheers