too much publicity?

jmcdyre
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1878 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I can't help thinking that too much publicity could be bad.

Todays story about Lloyds and the bailiffs will, in my opinion, mean that the banks won't just ignore moneyclaims. But will they be more inclined to settle out of court, or contest such claims?

I can see the banks applying pressure to have certain terms/penalties exempted from normal contract rules. Or will it go the same way as pension misselling/endowments? But lets face it, they can afford to refund these charges.

Any thoughts? Or am I just a pessimist!? Thoughts are all over the place!

Actually there is a particularly nasty bill going through Parliament at the moment to enable Ministers to amend any primary or secondary legislation or the common law only by reference to a Commons Committee. This is nominally being pushed through on the basis that it would allow Government to strike out unnecessary regulations. Yeah, right.

By the way I used the word "enable" above for a reason as anyone who knows what happened in Germany in the thirties will appreciate.

Snidey gits.

This country just gets worse.

I no nothing of what happened in Germany - please enlighten me.

I'm only young.

That little bit of bother between 1933 - 45.

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

When the Nazis came to power they passed an Enabling Act in the German Parliament which laid the basis for Hitler's legal authority to act as a dictator. This isn't quite as bad as that but when viewed in the round with a number of other things, it causes me some concerns to put it mildly.

When the Nazis came to power they passed an Enabling Act in the German Parliament which laid the basis for Hitler's legal authority to act as a dictator. This isn't quite as bad as that but when viewed in the round with a number of other things, it causes me some concerns to put it mildly.

Donn't worry it's all in the interestd of national security and good government.

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

I don't think you can have too much publicity.

Today so far there have been 9 broadcast reports on banks charges being unfair. In the last month there have been 47.

This time last year when I was starting out claiming there were virtually none.

The banks charges are theft and the sooner it is exposed to the wider public the better

Woolwich - £821 refunded on dispute 2004

Cap One - MCOL filed 25/7/06 £521.95

So do people think that given enough publicity that the banks will eventually cave in and have to refund ALL of these charges to ALL customers (or be forced to) without the need for individual action being taken?

Wonder what that would total!!

Totally agree with responses to my original message, re legality of charges, what will happen next is a tad hazy in my mind

Surely even £15 is excessive and can be challenged in the Courts?

Judges have bank accounts.

Surely they would not be persuaded by a OFT decision as that questions their own ability to judge.

If £15 was said to be okay, they should put a breakdown of individual costs as part of the contract.

What do you think?

Regards

Just another 21 Banks to go......

I personally can't believe how contentious this whole issue is, some are getting quite venomous about it on other forums - eg saying it's your fault if you go overdrawn. This misses the point though, as has been pointed out so well here and elsewhere, that most would agree with the need for a charge to cover costs, but not a scandalous rip off!!

People who moan about us making a claim obviously are in the enviable position of not having been charged.

where has the £15 reared it's head from?

Is this what the OFT is expected to state as reasonable?

And when is the Statute of Limitation going to change to 3 years?

Someone on another thread received an email from, i believe, an Alliance and Leicester Customer Service Manager following successful recovery of all his charges that he got a good deal as it would soon be £15?

Correct me if im wide of the mark here.

Something is going to happen and if so it is going to have to take into consideration the 6 year ruling.

What sort of communication does anyone think exists inbetween banks in the upper levels of management out of interest? - other than ' oh sh## ! '

I'm pretty sure it was said on GMTV this morning, that the cost is 50p per transaction. Mind you, it was early and I was half asleep! I don't know how that figure was arrived at though.

£949.54 reclaimed from Nationwide June 06

We'd need to prove that it doesn't cost £15. We can do so with circumstantial evidence, but no concrete evidence.

Surely, that would be the bit where the UTCC Regs 99 schedule 2 (q) comes in? Or am I barking up the wrong legal tree?

where has the £15 reared it's head from?

Is this what the OFT is expected to state as reasonable?

And when is the Statute of Limitation going to change to 3 years?

At the moment, it's only a rumour... and we all know rumours travel fast.

BUT the fact is, we all know in our hearts that the OFT are not going to give that much power back to us, the customers. On the balance of probability (I'm starting to sound like a judge now, lol), they will cap the charges. No-one's happy, that's the stuff of which compromises are made.

I suspect that 6 yr limitation cut to 3 could just be Dave's pessimism getting the better of him. lol. Though that doesn't make him wrong. :p

The statute of limitation would also apply the other way. Defaults on your credit file would disappear earlier.

So long as the majority of people on here get their claims sorted by the time any change is made, I'd be happy about my defaults disappearing!

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1878 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks