• Tweets

• retailer said they'd speak to dpd on Tuesday. I don't want to screw the retailer because they were doing me a favour by fixing it for free  I hope dpd will refund them so they don't lose out. Will keep you guys posted. 
    • Well, we live on the same road so it should be the same postcode. When I spoke to dpd and asked why were my neighbours' address not on the list and she said maybe they're not of the same postcode and I checked and they definitely were. Not to mention, delivery instructions are supposed to override actual customer's address which is why they asked for instructions I thought.
    • again a quick google search states Appeal a DVLA fine - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) i would not be appealing mind. it's only a summary charge which they rarely do court on and pass out the powerless DCA's whom are not bailiffs they have 6mts. see where they go. as you've sorn'd it will probably be nulled. dx  
    • There are a number of reasons why you may not have been issued a notice in the post within 14 days. If you were stopped by the police it may have been given verbally. In the case of speeding offences, the police may issue you with a conditional offer of a fixed penalty of 3 points and £100.00 fine by post or an offer of a speed awareness course. If the offence is considered too serious for a speed awareness course or fixed penalty you may be charged with an offence which normally occurs by way of the issue of a Single Justice Procedure Notice. If the vehicle within which the alleged offence took place was registered to another person or company there is technically no need for a notice to be issued to the driver. After the police have obtained details of the nominated the driver, they will normally send the notice to them, although there are no time limits within which they must do so (provided that the notice was received within 14 days by the registered keeper of the vehicle). In such circumstances, a person may receive a notice several months after the alleged offence too place but still be prosecuted. A Guide to a Notice of Intended Prosecution | Motoring Offence Lawyers the above copy n paste link has purely been copy n pasted here to inform you of the regs, which you could have done yourself by, as this is, a google search......... we do not ever recommend using such offered webservices! dont dx    
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Why is no one claiming the contractual rate of interest???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4785 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

That's because you're pulling up a cached page from your PC, hon. I'll upload the spreadsheet somewhere and post a link here. Can't hurt to have more than one source.

'Tis done. It can now be found here.

I accept flowers, chocolate and red wine as payment.

• Haha 1

WolfCat

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its alright for the rest of you, i'll have to pay for them :p

Do the flowers i got last week count, and the red wine ( i drank that LOL)

CM

Templates Library

GE Capital Won

Capital 0ne Won

Northern rock Claim stayed working on negotiation

HSBC personal claim 1 ''WON''.

£1800 plus full stat interest plus costs.

Claim started 14/02/07 offer 3/07/07

Next:Coming soon to a thread near you! :)

HSBC personal Part 2 'return of the Celicaman'

HSBC business 1 ' my empire strikes back' N1 claim POC in progress after usual offensive offer from bank

HSBC business 2 'attack of the Celicaman'

HSBC business claim 3 'bank account menace'

HSBC business 4 'Revenge of the CAG Member' the final insult ....................... 'Maybe'

That's great - Hopefully your link will help some - Thanks (As long as you don't decide to withdraw your copy of course ..... ;)

links to my current claims ...

My claim - Yorkshire Bank Visa

chezt V RBS Mastercard

Chezt v RBS Joint Account

chezt v Abbey Credit Card

Settled ...

chezt V Duet Card/Creation Finance

chezt v's Studio Cards

chezt v's Littlewoods Catalogue

Next ...

Abbey Joint a/c & Single a/c

Barclaycard (Mine & Hubby's)

Anyone else I can think of ...! :rolleyes:

PS - Note that is the sheet for bank accounts only - Not Credit Cards :)

chezt V RBS Mastercard

Settled ...

chezt v's Studio Cards

Next ...

That's great - Hopefully your link will help some - Thanks (As long as you don't decide to withdraw your copy of course ..... ;)

For a small monthly payment of one these I can keep it available as a download ... ok, I guess I'm pushing my luck a bit now.

I'll get me coat.

WolfCat

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

For a small monthly payment of one these I can keep it available as a download ... ok, I guess I'm pushing my luck a bit now.

I'll get me coat.

Mmmm they do look kinda scrummy ... praps I ought to go work on my own download ....... ;)

chezt V RBS Mastercard

Settled ...

chezt v's Studio Cards

Next ...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We claimed the contractual rate against Barclaycard. Barclaycard offered to pay 8% in court. We refused. The judge ordered Barclaycard to come up with a defense/skeleton argument to justify why they should only pay 8% by the 11th of Oct. We had to submit a defense thereafter to argue why we had applied for 24.9%. Long and short of it is that Barclaycard have applied for extension to the court so it's the waiting game. Has anyone gotten this far and already possess a skeleton argument that goes beyond the Sempra case?

We claimed the contractual rate against Barclaycard. Barclaycard offered to pay 8% in court. We refused. The judge ordered Barclaycard to come up with a defense/skeleton argument to justify why they should only pay 8% by the 11th of Oct. We had to submit a defense thereafter to argue why we had applied for 24.9%. Long and short of it is that Barclaycard have applied for extension to the court so it's the waiting game. Has anyone gotten this far and already possess a skeleton argument that goes beyond the Sempra case?

Hello Shazzzaaa

I'm in a similar position, but slightly further behind you. I am preparing my Defence for claiming CCI and will focus mainly on "mutuality and reciprocity": I want back what I have paid out. It is not for Barclays to dictate to the court what rate of interest is paid. They are demonstrating a consistent disregard for the process of the law and, in many cases including my own, breaching Civil Procedure Rules.

I am in the process of reading through Sempra and it looks good. Perhaps we should get together on this. I'm hoping a Mod may have some additional thoughts/encouragement on this matter - Zootscoot?

Painty x

There is simply no such thing as "mutuality and reciprocity" it does not exist and that has been confirmed countless times, in court. There is no legal basis for the "mutuality and reciprocity" argument. It is my opinion that the banks taking these charges and charging interest cannot be interpreted as us lending them money which is the only basis under which this argument makes even the remotest sense.

Mutuality of contract is the reciprocal understanding or agreement between parties that is a requirement in the creation of a legally enforceable contract. It means that an obligation must rest on each party to do or permit to be done something in consideration of the act or promise of the other. Neither party is bound unless both are bound. It does not mean that you are entitled to charge the other party just because they are able to charge you. Were that the case then you would also be obliged to provide your bank with chequebooks, credit cards, loans, clearing facilities along with all the other things that we expect from banks.

In Bank contracts, the Bank has a right to impose interest at the unauthorised rate. This is what we agree to when we enter into the contract. There is no right in the contract for us to receive interest at anything other than the published rate on credit balances. Any right to interest must be found under the common law.

If you simply want back what you have paid out then how can you ask for interest above what the court already allows?

CPR 16.3 and 16.4 cover interest and the claiming of it and of course we are entitled to claim interest at any rate, but the claim must have some basis.

The fact that Barclays have disregarded legal process and breached CPR is not really for you to comment on. If the judge feels that this has had a detrimental affect on your claim, it will be pointed out and an appropriate sanction may be ordered, but to think that this will make your claim stronger or make a case for contractual interest is folly.

If you wish to begin a claim for exemplary damages, then that is another matter altogether - but should you lose, you will lose a great deal more than a few extra pounds in interest. A claim such as this will not be heard on the Small Claims Track, irrespective of the value of the claim.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

hagenuk et al

It seems not everyone woulod agree with you. There's an interesting debate on claiming 'time value interest' - which is, essentially, what Paintball refers to as CCI - albeit not on the grounds of mutuality and reciprocity, on the final few pages of the following thread...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank-bank-scotland/97691-contractual-interest-precedent-lost-21.html

It goes without saying, I'd be interested to hear what you guys make of it.

Fred_Funk

NatWest: seeking unlawful charges + interest incurred as a result of those charges of £4,292.82 and contractual interest (compounded) of £4,559.41. Court claim issued 16.01.08; acknowledgement of service filled by Cobbetts on 30.01.08

hagenuk et al

It seems not everyone woulod agree with you. There's an interesting debate on claiming 'time value interest' - which is, essentially, what Paintball refers to as CCI - albeit not on the grounds of mutuality and reciprocity, on the final few pages of the following thread...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank-bank-scotland/97691-contractual-interest-precedent-lost-21.html

It goes without saying, I'd be interested to hear what you guys make of it.

Fred_Funk

Now that's a much more constructive response Fred. I'll check out the thread ...

Now that's a much more constructive response Fred. I'll check out the thread ...

So, tell us, what do you think?!

NatWest: seeking unlawful charges + interest incurred as a result of those charges of £4,292.82 and contractual interest (compounded) of £4,559.41. Court claim issued 16.01.08; acknowledgement of service filled by Cobbetts on 30.01.08

I Did!! When I went to court the judge wouldnt allow it! This was with cap 1

Without wishing to be rude, that ain't much help to anyone.

It's already been established there are plenty of grounds on which you won't be awarded contractual interest.

We need to know on what basis you asked for it - I bet it wasn't Sempra - and why the judge turned it down.

So, tell us, what do you think?!

Hi Fred

Work has got in the way of reading the thread until today :confused: I found it interesting and begin to see the gist of your argument/s (Tanz's post #407 and your own post #409). I will need to spend serious time investigating further the issues and arguments of CCI/demonstrable plus time delay interest ... It had seemed pretty clear some time ago but this discussion puts the issue in a different perspective

Many thanks :)

Painty x

Perhaps this would be a good point for a summary of the story so far.

I think it is now firmly establishe that you can (should) claim interest levied on the unlawful charges (so called 'demonstrable interest' or credit interest).

The question is, what can you claim on top?

Section 69 of the County Court Act allows you to claim 8% simple interest on top.

THis seems odd in this day and age and Sempra confirms that. Sempra was awarded Compound Interest on several grounds but for our purposes the simplest and most likely to succeed is on the grounds of unjust enrichment and restitution. The bank used your money (charges and interest levied thereon) over a period of time to make a profit (time value of the money) and they had no right to do so because the charges were unlawful (unjust enrichment). Therefore to put things back as they would have been (restitution), that profit should be taken off them.

That is our current understanding of the basis for a claim for compound contractual interest on top of charges and interest levied on the charges.

Hope that helps clarify where we have got to.

• Haha 1

I think it is now firmly establishe that you can (should) claim interest levied on the unlawful charges (so called 'demonstrable interest' or credit interest).

Section 69 of the County Court Act allows you to claim 8% simple interest on top.

THis seems odd in this day and age and Sempra confirms that. Sempra was awarded Compound Interest on several grounds but for our purposes the simplest and most likely to succeed is on the grounds of unjust enrichment and restitution. The bank used your money (charges and interest levied thereon) over a period of time to make a profit (time value of the money) and they had no right to do so because the charges were unlawful (unjust enrichment). Therefore to put things back as they would have been (restitution), that profit should be taken off them.

That is our current understanding of the basis for a claim for compound contractual interest on top of charges and interest levied on the charges.

Thanks for this Steven, you make the issue abundantly clear for me. You rock rocker.gifkiss.gif

I notice that Bookie took this response with Barclaycard recently when they offered to settle, and imagine that the above will form the rest of her claim against that organisation. I think it will be mine also and now need to find out how to address this in my Defence and follow this up in court if and when I get a Hearing date as my POC stated CCI.

In terms of 'undue enrichment and restitution', which case law refers to this?

P

So, what of Westdeutsche Landesbank Girozentrale v Islington London Borough Council ([1996] AC 669) and the fact that the courts’ inability to award interest at common law on restitutionary claims is considered settled by this case?

In cases of personal restitution the value of the use of money was prima facie the reasonable cost of borrowing the money in question. The time value of money, measured objectively in that way, was to be distinguished from the value of the benefits a defendant actually derived from the use of the money.

In the Sempra Metals Ltd (formerly Metallgesellschaft Ltd) v Inland Revenue Commissioners and Another there could be nothing unjust in requiring the Inland Revenue to pay compound interest, by way of restitution, on the huge interest-free loan constituted by the payment of advance corporation tax.

But it was pointed out that that may not always be so. For instance, the bank might make no measurable use of your money.

In such a case, depending on the circumstances, it might well be most unfair that the Defendant should be out of pocket by having to make an additional payment, whether as compound interest or even simple interest, in respect of the time value of the money he received.

Bear in mind also that restitution does not necessarily mean recovery of all gains made by the Defendant. Certain other factors are relevant to the measure of recovery. Where the Defendant made a substantial contribution, to which the Claimant was not entitled, it is conceivable that the Claimant will only recover the value of that which was taken from him or that profits will be apportioned or that the Defendant will receive quantum meruit for his contribution (Boardman v Phipps [1967] 2 AC 46 [32].) For example, the bank will have made profit with or without your money and unless you are George Soros, what money you have in the bank will have made little or no difference to their overall profit.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received