• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Why is no one claiming the contractual rate of interest???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4784 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there any accountants here?

What would actually happen if a bank were to admit its charges were unlawful?

What would actually happen if a precedent-setting court were to rule the charges unlawful?

From the little I know about company accounting, it seems to me that the bank, or all banks in the case of a court judgement, would have to include the bank's liability in their financial results statements. My understanding is the directors of the bank cannot hide this or ignore it; they are legally obliged to inform shareholders of anything which may substantially affect the value of the company,

Tim

Heads would roll because of all the claims they would be subject too.

Like the endowment miselling to mitigate their losses & their previous conduct they would probably be required to contact customers whom they had ripped off & invite them to submit a claim.

If that happened the shareholders would want blood on the carpet.

Heads would roll because of all the claims they would be subject too.

Like the endowment miselling to mitigate their losses & their previous conduct they would probably be required to contact customers whom they had ripped off & invite them to submit a claim.

If that happened the shareholders would want blood on the carpet.

We can wish though!!!

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Nobody's head ever rolls up there. The worst that happens is that a bunch of fatcats take early retirement, with a disgustingly large golden a$$-kick. Not like Enron.

What I would like to see is a good old-fashioned mob marching on the City, with tumbrils & guillotines, etc. A few "resting" actors being dragged out and "beheaded" with the help of special effects guys. No real violence, of course, but maybe some soiled underwear in the NatWest Tower.

I think that's the nearest we'll ever get to them.

Cake, anybody ??

Are there any accountants here?

What would actually happen if a bank were to admit its charges were unlawful?

What would actually happen if a precedent-setting court were to rule the charges unlawful?

From the little I know about company accounting, it seems to me that the bank, or all banks in the case of a court judgement, would have to include the bank's liability in their financial results statements. My understanding is the directors of the bank cannot hide this or ignore it; they are legally obliged to inform shareholders of anything which may substantially affect the value of the company,

Tim

You are broadly correct in your analysis. A general requirement to refund current and past charges to all customers would provoke accounting pandemonium. I am actually quite surprised that there hasn't been some comment on these lines in the financial press.

They key issue here is to get the Government to take the issue seriously. In my view unlawful bank charges are a far worse scandal than endowment or pension mis-selling. However, the powers that be seem to have the attitude that if they don't talk about the issue then it will go away. The banks' approach seems to be that if they quietly settle every claim without admitting liability and without it getting to court then they don't need to be concerned about their profits. The regulators in turn don't seem to be asking the questions they ought to be asking of the banks.

All this is why it is so important to encourage everyont to recleim their charges and why we need to campaign and lobby at the political level for this issue to be treated seriously. To do this we need to campaign effectively and be voical. It's also why a big turnout for the protest on 1 December is so important.

• Haha 1

We need their unlawful conduct to affect the share price. At which point we might be able to rely on the American Authorities taking some action. Their shares are traded on Wall Street & their regulators unlike ours ain't chocolate teapots that's for sure.

As for the press "he who pays the piper"

here is link to my thread any help would be ace

Cank vs Halifax

Contains copy of banks defence against contractual interest and limitation act

Halifax - £2500

Legal & Trade - Webt to courtfor Breach CCA, Complained to OFT they ruled in my favour, So did court, 2k written off.

NatWest - Contactual Interest - Won:p

ok some questions...

i went through my statements and pulled out all the charges, but ignored the interest charges. should i have also added the interest charges to the total?

can i wait until court claim and then claim the contractual interest instea dof the 8% if i havent tried to claim either beforehand?

ok some questions...

i went through my statements and pulled out all the charges, but ignored the interest charges. should i have also added the interest charges to the total?

can i wait until court claim and then claim the contractual interest instea dof the 8% if i havent tried to claim either beforehand?

You can claim any portion of the interest they charged you that relates to unlawful bank charges. Tricky to calculate, but an estimate can be made, try the advanced spreadsheet in my Chambers if you want to.

Contractual interest can be claimed on the charges, and the interest on the charges, from your very first letter. See the notes in my Chambers for more info, or discussions further back in this thread.

[

Gosh, I feel very privileged!

I've been living on overdraft for years - because of the banks' illegal charges. Therefore it's easy (I think and hope) to demonstrate that the contractural interest rate levied on my account is a financial loss I've incurred directly as a result of their charges - so I'm charging 16.9%, using Vampiress' recommended spreadsheet. It's demonstrable and straightforward and I don't have to get into arguments about reciprocity, possible millionaire widows who couldn't have waited to drag me to the altar, business opportunities, etc. which I don't think the courts would go a bundle on anyway because it's more than argumentative - it's speculative.

Of course, there is a further loss, which is the interest I've been charged on the rest of my borrowing, which has arisen as a result of their illegal (etc).

But that's another matter and would probably take me over £5K, so I think I'll do the 'political' thing - politics being art of the possible (according to the late, great Harold Wilson esq).

So - just the facts, ma'am.

Westy

If you like my post, click the scales!!

Nov 1 2006 Preliminary letter

21 Feb 2007 - cheque arrived for charges+DEBIT interest +Statutory Interest! Hurray!

Read all about it: natwesttookmymoney - v- NatWest

DONATE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO KEEP THE SITE GOING.

What can you claim? Vampiress has a good idea:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/69877-what-can-you-claim.html

Anything I say is just a suggestion. I'm a bigmouth, not a lawyer!

using the basic spreadsheet, i replaced the figure int he interest box with 18.69%, natwests current authorised overdraft interest rate. was this the right way to calculate the different ammount of interest?

also has the spreadsheet automaticaly compunded and acrued the interest for me? or do i need to start all over again?

as i am claiming the interest with my charges can i also claim the 8% on top of that now i am gettin ready to file my claim in court or am i missing something? if the 8% is the value that is added because of having to go through court then should it not be added onto the original (including interest at 18.69%) claim?

(and sorry if im being annoying or asking dumb questions, i have read so much stuff that i cant make sense of anything anymore and id rather ask than mess it up alltogether)

You can claim either statutory interest OR contractual interest, not both. The statutory interest is in place in case no contractual rate exists. You need to be able to argue the mutuality and reciprocity involved in the bank's contract with you to claim contractual rate.

There are more notes around the site and in my Chambers if you are interested in contractual interest.

As I'm not sure exactly which spreadsheet you are using, I cannot give any reassurance as to the calculations on it. Please clarify further.

[

thanks Vampiress, I think iIam finally begin to understand the either or thing, I was forgetting that we claim for a daily rate each day after the claim is filed and thinking we stopped it on the date claim was filed.

I think im using the spreasheet no.2, I changed the interest amount in it from 18.2 to 18.86% to come up with a figure for an E.A.R. of 18.96%

However I think I may have to start again as I deleted extra rows and columns and now changing the date makes no diference to the claim ammount (which cant be right).

as a slight aside, am I right in thinking that the compounded part is the interest charged daily that increases as the interest is added to the initial charge, simple is a basic calculation that doesnt charge interest on the charge+interest but only on the basic charge, and contractual is simply the interest rate at which the bank charge us hence the mutuality and reciprocity? (I failed to understand interest types and calculations in maths at school too lol)

thanks Vampiress, I think iIam finally begin to understand the either or thing, I was forgetting that we claim for a daily rate each day after the claim is filed and thinking we stopped it on the date claim was filed.

I think im using the spreasheet no.2, I changed the interest amount in it from 18.2 to 18.86% to come up with a figure for an E.A.R. of 18.96%

However I think I may have to start again as I deleted extra rows and columns and now changing the date makes no diference to the claim ammount (which cant be right).

as a slight aside, am I right in thinking that the compounded part is the interest charged daily that increases as the interest is added to the initial charge, simple is a basic calculation that doesnt charge interest on the charge+interest but only on the basic charge, and contractual is simply the interest rate at which the bank charge us hence the mutuality and reciprocity? (I failed to understand interest types and calculations in maths at school too lol)

Sorry, you've confused me completely, I'll PM you.

[

I am claiming £2500 from NatWest and have been offered £1500.

I now intend to reject the offer and issue a claim online. I really cannot be fagged to work out the interest item by item on 100-odd charges over 6 years, so is it OK to say:-

1/ the average amount of my money NatWest had over the six years was half of the total £2500 I'm claiming;

2/ the average time they had it for was half of those six years (i.e. they had some of it for 6 years and some of it they've only just taken);

3/ the interest rate they charged was 18% most of the time

...and therefore I now claim 3 years' interest (= the average time they've had the money) on £1250 (the average amount they have had) compounded at 18%, i.e. another £804 (approx)?

Is an approximate calculation good enough for a SCC claim? As I see it they have had £3,300 off me if I include interest on that basis, so their £1500 offer is less than half what I have lost.

Also, does anyone have a rejection template? Maybe I am being a div, but I can't find the templates library anywhere.

TiA.

I am claiming £2500 from NatWest and have been offered £1500.

I now intend to reject the offer and issue a claim online. I really cannot be fagged to work out the interest item by item on 100-odd charges over 6 years, so is it OK to say:-

1/ the average amount of my money NatWest had over the six years was half of the total £2500 I'm claiming;

2/ the average time they had it for was half of those six years (i.e. they had some of it for 6 years and some of it they've only just taken);

...and therefore I now claim 3 years' interest (= the average time they've had the money) on £1250 (the average amount they have had) compounded at 18%, i.e. another £804 (approx)?

Is an approximate calculation good enough for a SCC claim? As I see it they have had £3,300 off me if I include interest on that basis, so their £1500 offer is less than half what I have lost.

Also, does anyone have a rejection template? Maybe I am being a div, but I can't find the templates library anywhere.

TiA.

There is nothing to stop you making a claim on this basis but I really wouldn't recommend it, particularly if you are planning to use contractual interest. The claim should be supported by a reasonably accurate calculation and the spreadsheet templates have been written to make this as easy as possible. Claiming charges back is a serious undertaking and making a court claim is even more serious. You need to be prepared to attend court and explain your methodology to a district judge. I don't think the approach you are suggesting would impress him/her.

• Haha 1

To support what Seminole said, its always up to the claimant to prove their claim. The defendant has no obligation to prove you are wrong it may be useful to them but it is your responsibility to porve that your claim is just.

If you cant be bothered to work out the interest, and there are spreadsheets provided to help, then its a guess but you will probably struggle to prepare a case to argue, should your claim end up in court.

Of course it may not end up in court, but you should be always start out on the basis it will and be prepared to put the effort in.

My recommendation would be to omit the interest altogether unless you are prepared to put the work in to support your claim.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

interest item by item on 100-odd charges over 6 years, so is it OK to say:-

Is an approximate calculation good enough for a SCC claim?

Provided you can show that the charges were evenly spread over the six years, then your calculation will deliver a result substantially less than the true amount (£800 instead of about £1200.)

Tim

Ok guys Im a little confused here. I am about ready to send off prelim letter for parents. Ive completed the advanced spreadsheet.

Am I right in assuming that I just include in the prelim letter the total of charges (column D) and interest on penalty's (column Q) and nothing at the moment in the 8% sheet as this is when I might have to start small claims proceedure.

Cheers guys

Chuck

GRANT Vs NatWest

S.A.R. Sent 22.08.06

S.A.R.s Signed for 23.08.06

Recieved Statements Yr2000-2002 16.09.06

Non Compliance Sent 04.10.06

All Statements Recieved 18.10.06

Prelim Sent 23.10.06

Prelim Recieved 24.10.06

Prelim Reply Recieved 28.10.06

LBA Sent 8.11.06 / LBA Recieved 9.11.06

Ok guys Im a little confused here. I am about ready to send off prelim letter for parents. Ive completed the advanced spreadsheet.

Am I right in assuming that I just include in the prelim letter the total of charges (column D) and interest on penalty's (column Q) and nothing at the moment in the 8% sheet as this is when I might have to start small claims proceedure.

Cheers guys

Chuck

That's right Chuck. The 8% interest is statutory interest which you can't add on until you file a court claim. However if you're interested in claiming contractual interest (which is the topic of this thread) then you can claim that from the beginning - in place of the statutory.

Lucid :)

Mindzai & Lucid vs Lloyds TSB

*Won unconditionally with contractual interest (29.85% compounded)

Lucid's Account - £749.62 * Joint Account - £2019.64 * Mindzai's Account - £595.65

*All settled in full - 6/2/07

*Hearings - 7/2/07

*Prelims sent - 9/8/06

_______

GOT A COURT DATE? A guide to the later stages

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi,

Can anyone check out my thread:

Business account over 19,000 in bank charges. How do I tackle this one?

and tell me which spreadsheet is best for me to use with regards to compound or contractual I have got two very diffrent amounts.

I really do not want to make any mistakes on this one as my claim is pretty big for a closed business account.

many thanks in adavance.

(I have posted on my own thread but it was suggested I post on this thread too to try and get some deffinate advice on this interest topic.)

17th august 06-claimed back 725.00 from HSBC in full (personal account)

28th august -just added up over 19,000 in business charges with husbands HSBC account! ABOUT TO START PROCESS OF RECLAIMING MONIES.

Hi all - some help needed please.

MBNA is the only company I haven't yet sent a Prelim, because they were tardy in sending me my statements, and because the statements were set out in a way which made it difficult to calculate interest (no balances). Out of curiosity (as I wasn't thinking of claiming contractual) I've done the calculations using Vamp's excellent compounded contractual-interest spreadsheet. My Prelim to them will definitely use contractual. My six other claims are at LBA stage with no mention of contractual. I intend to revise them, as it would mean a potential £2,000 in extra interest.

BankFodder and others have said that it is best to start again with a Prelim as we should let the banks know we are claiming contractual from the start. I have heard one dissenting voice though, who argued that a revised LBA would be sufficient notice. I would prefer this latter option, as it would save two weeks. Any thoughts?

NEIL'S CLAIMS... Halifax - N1 being submitted 26/2 (£3055) Barclays - offered £540 - N1 due now (£1686) MBNA - SETTLED FOR £1,412.86 Barclaycard #1 - microfiche - complaint to Info Comm'r upheld, info now in - claim to be merged wth B'card #2 in LBA, due now (£800-ish) Halifax Visa - SETTLED FOR £1,067.43 Mint - refunded £427, pursuing remaining £179 contractual Marbles - SETTLED FOR £346

Mum vs Barclays - SETTLED FOR £1,200

Mum vs Abbey - court date 23/2 - SETTLED FOR £1,720.76 at last minute

Mum vs HSBC - SETTLED FOR £1,733

5% donation to site when our refunds are received... Read the FAQs First!