Middle Lane Drivers

dandoogle
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5287 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I actually live three miles from the school where all my children go and both myself and hubby work. When either of us drop them off at school we park up and wait for the 'walking bus' that operates every day. Unfortunately there are only seven or eight children that actually meet up with the adults, however that is seven or eight less cars at school, and all parents are welcome too, so really there is no excuse, it's a 10 minute walk.

On the days where I've not come straight from work, I leave the car at home, walk to school (3 mile walk = curry and choccy for afters) and we walk 1 mile into the town centre and catch the bus the rest of the way home with a half mile walk from bus stop to home. However, I must admit when it is throwing it down, that all goes up in flames and I park at the walking bus stop lol!

PLEASE DONATE ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

Go on, click me scales (if I have helped) :grin:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually live three miles from the school where all my children go and both myself and hubby work. When either of us drop them off at school we park up and wait for the 'walking bus' that operates every day. Unfortunately there are only seven or eight children that actually meet up with the adults, however that is seven or eight less cars at school, and all parents are welcome too, so really there is no excuse, it's a 10 minute walk.

On the days where I've not come straight from work, I leave the car at home, walk to school (3 mile walk = curry and choccy for afters) and we walk 1 mile into the town centre and catch the bus the rest of the way home with a half mile walk from bus stop to home. However, I must admit when it is throwing it down, that all goes up in flames and I park at the walking bus stop lol!

Well done you, you are a bona fide member of the 10% club (10% of parents walk with their kids to school - BBC poll)

We have a 'walking bus' scheme in our village and this appears to work well. However, no doubt there will always be people who are selfish and who disregard parking restrictions, traffic laws in order to save themselves a nano second because their 'important' lives are far more relevant than ours. Same can be said re MLD...........SELFISH! ;)

Does anynone else remember the case of the gent who held up the outside lane of a motorway by driving at precisely 70mph, creating a backlog of frustrated drivers?

Eventually people started to undertake in the almost empty middle lane unaware that a Police Ch Inspector was being driven along the inside lane by his son. The Policeman noted the reg numbers of the undertakers and later contacted them to gain evidence against the third lane hog.

He was prosecuted for "driving without consideration to other road users" and found guilty as the court advised him that he didn't have the right to police the highways.

IIRC Top Gear gave the policeman and anonymous "good guy" award!

Did this actually happen, or was it whimsical anecdote from the Top Gear writing staff?

watched two lorries drag-racing yesterday. took the overtaking lorry 1.8 miles to complete the overtake, blocking two lanes of the M1 northbound as he overtook, taking some 2 FULL minutes to perform the overtake, and gaining him 50 feet of improved distance.

At 55 mph, a vehicle travels 80ft a second. 50 ft of distance gained means the driver would get to his destination about 0.6 seconds earlier. Bet he's pleased to have blocked the M1 for almost 2 miles to gain that kind of saving!

it's possible that they were exchanging driving position for the purposes of fuel economy. The vehicle in front will be burning fuel far quicker than the one behind, so they take it in turns. It takes such a long time to do, as they are also performing the manoeuvre in a fuel efficient manner (i.e. without accelerating or braking hard).

Did this actually happen, or was it whimsical anecdote from the Top Gear writing staff?

No, it really happened and appeared on the BBC evening news. There was some furore from the PC brigade about speed limits being speed limits etc but the third lane driver was prosecuted for inconsiderate driving and received a conditional discharge and telling off by the court. The footnote was that members of the public should not "police" the roads themselves but report incidents to the authorities.

I'm sorry I couldn't locate the article on the web but it was about 4 or 5 years back and I believe it happened on the M6

it's possible that they were exchanging driving position for the purposes of fuel economy. The vehicle in front will be burning fuel far quicker than the one behind, so they take it in turns. It takes such a long time to do, as they are also performing the manoeuvre in a fuel efficient manner (i.e. without accelerating or braking hard).

Even better. Presumably they're rewarded by the haulier for this, perhaps with a kick-back of the savings they make in fuel.

I wonder if the next time this affects me I should ask the driver(s) for financial compensation for the additional time it's taken me to get to my destination because of their desire to make some additional money...

This space intentionally left blank

Even better. Presumably they're rewarded by the haulier for this, perhaps with a kick-back of the savings they make in fuel.

I wonder if the next time this affects me I should ask the driver(s) for financial compensation for the additional time it's taken me to get to my destination because of their desire to make some additional money...

Either that or you could start to tail gate them and save on your fuel :grin:

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

Middle Lane Drivers are tame compared to those peeps that hog the outside lane @ 69mph + then accelerate to close the gap if they are being undertaken, thus causing the attempting undertaker to brake dangerously as the gap narrows. :evil:

Why they don't just pull over into the middle lane in the 1st place + let other peeps pass safely is beyond my comprehension? :confused:

Middle Lane Drivers are tame compared to those peeps that hog the outside lane @ 69mph + then accelerate to close the gap if they are being undertaken, thus causing the attempting undertaker to brake dangerously as the gap narrows. :evil:

Why they don't just pull over into the middle lane in the 1st place + let other peeps pass safely is beyond my comprehension? :confused:

see my post on 12th October, you're not the only one that thinks this way.

...you're not the only one that thinks this way.
I'm well aware of that rickyd. I usually take the time + trouble to read what others have to type before I start flashing my headlights. ;)

see my post on 12th October...
U posted several times on 12th October 2009, presumably U are referring to THIS post?

:)

exactly!

Sorry I was a bit of a mission that day. I wish I could locate the actual case it makes almost hysterical reading. I did take a cutting at the time but have moved house since and mislaid it.

It's all getting rather smutty on here, Les Dawson about?

George Bernard Shaw