Denied Benefits - Please Help

raspberry_beret
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5633 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

Firstly I'd like to say thank you to anybody who replies to this, I'm at a total loss and your help is greatly appreciated.

I'm 23, and in April of this year I began having really bad anxiety and panic attacks. I was unable to eat, sleep, leave the house or anything. I had to stop working and claim Statutory Sick Pay. I live with my boyfriend, who is a full time student and has a part time job in a bar, working around 16 hours a week.

I knew my sick pay was due to end in November and as such I applied for benefits to help me until I feel well enough to return to work. I made my application on 13th October, in the next few days I received a statement which i had to sign and gathered all the necessary evidence.

I sent the form away and awaited a reply. On the paperwork I received it stated that the application would take around 7 to 10 days to process. After 2 weeks of hearing nothing I contacted the Benefit Delivery Centre and was told that the income support side was all sorted and it was the incapacity benefit side that was holding things up. They asked me to send in an SSP1 form to help things along, which I promptly requested form my employer and sent to them.

About a week later, after still hearing nothing I called again, only to be told that there was no such thing as Income Support and Incapacity benefit for claims made after 27th October (my claim was made on 13th) so my application was being dealt with by the Employment and Support Allowance office.

So I called back and got through to the employment and support office, who then told me I hadn't sent in all the evidence they needed (which I had - and it had all been sent back to me). I told the lady I was speaking to this and she said she'd try and find the items on the elusive ' system'.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, she called back and told me she had found the evidence she needed and that I wouldn't be eligible for anything at all, not a penny. When I asked why she said that because my partner receives a student loan that's enough for us to both live on.

I just can't believe it, I've worked and paid my taxes and national insurance since I was 16, now that I need a helping hand from the government I can't get it. My partner's student loan isn't even enough for the rent, let alone bills, heating costs, food and general necessities like food.

I don't have any income at all, and at this rate won't have a place to live soon. The added stress of all this isn't helping my anxiety and depression at all.

Please help, I really don't know what to do :-(

Thanks.

Hi,

Without knowing the full in's and out's of the claim it is difficult to advise fully, my only advice is to speak to your local WRO (welfare Rights Officer) they are based at your local council and they will go through everything with you, but as mentioned, you may not qualify for some benefits but you can claim for housing benefit or council tax benefit.

Derek

Guest symbio-dek

Welcome to student life, working for nothing, taxation misery, categoric ubiquitous refusal, government induced misery, shivering, starvation and poverty . . .

Ahhh.... i see you've opted for a side of stress, anxiety and depression, a most excellent choice madam . . .

Forgive me . . . where are my manners, I'm Dek . . . Almighty Grand Overlord of all these disciplines - your welcome pack's in the post

. . . And as Master-Upon-High of Foresight - I,ve enclosed a polystyrene cup in preparation for your homelessness . . . ;)

Welcome to Britain

. . . It could be worse, you could be male :)

edited

Edited by jonni2bad
Commercial link removed

Appeal against the incapacity benefit decision, if the application was made when you say.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

They refused my benefits because they said the income my partner gets for his student loan works out at £118 a week if it's divided over the year. But the student loan is surely intended to get him through his (very expensive) photography degree?

The installment he got in October just about covered his side of the rent 'til November and paid some bills that were overdue. He has nothing of it left, certainly not enough to keep us both. He works in a bar but he has no set hours, one week he can get 2 shifts and other weeks he can get absolutely nothing.

I called the council about housing and council tax benefit and initially the lady I spoke to refused to send me the application form out because she said we would have to be assessed as a couple, and full time students (which my partner is) are not entitled to housing or council tax benefit!

After a heated discussion with her (I was quite upset at this point) she spoke to her superior who said I could try and apply as the main claimant and put my boyfriend down as my partner.

But as a final blow she said that if I'd been refused benefits due to income the chances are that I wouldn't be eligible for housing and council tax benefit anyway.

Argh!

Thanks for all your messages though guys, I really appreciate them. i just feel so alone and like there's nobody to help.

My mum died when I was younger and my dad emigrated to Canada a few years back so I never see him. So it's not like I can move home or go running to mummy and daddy for money.

I'll take all your advice on board and try to get something sorted, fingers crossed.

Xxxxxxxxxx

You could try complaining to your MP, or at least threatening it to them. Then they might actually listen to what you are saying.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Guest symbio-dek

Firstly, your not alone at all - ok?

Secondly, ive done the student refusal thing and will plot solution for you.

Long time ago, so bear with me . . . There's always a way around student poverty . . I will deliver, just have to get gogs in head oiled and turning . . . no more negativity thank you

And dont bother with those chimps at the benefit office, what do they know - muppets!

Be cool, and stay on here . . .

Thank you :-)

And in reply to BlossomandEbony - my doctor has declared me as unfit for work and I have been receiving doctor's notes every month for the past 6 months as a result.

I have been referred to the Community Psychiatric Nurse and have had 2 sessions with her so far.

Thank you

xxxxx

They refused my benefits because they said the income my partner gets for his student loan works out at £118 a week if it's divided over the year. But the student loan is surely intended to get him through his (very expensive) photography degree?

The installment he got in October just about covered his side of the rent 'til November and paid some bills that were overdue. He has nothing of it left, certainly not enough to keep us both. He works in a bar but he has no set hours, one week he can get 2 shifts and other weeks he can get absolutely nothing.

I called the council about housing and council tax benefit and initially the lady I spoke to refused to send me the application form out because she said we would have to be assessed as a couple, and full time students (which my partner is) are not entitled to housing or council tax benefit!

After a heated discussion with her (I was quite upset at this point) she spoke to her superior who said I could try and apply as the main claimant and put my boyfriend down as my partner.

But as a final blow she said that if I'd been refused benefits due to income the chances are that I wouldn't be eligible for housing and council tax benefit anyway.

Argh!

Thanks for all your messages though guys, I really appreciate them. i just feel so alone and like there's nobody to help.

My mum died when I was younger and my dad emigrated to Canada a few years back so I never see him. So it's not like I can move home or go running to mummy and daddy for money.

I'll take all your advice on board and try to get something sorted, fingers crossed.

Xxxxxxxxxx

HMMM - I'd query this bit,

Scenario

You lose your job,

You've no income,

You've no savings

You've had a loan which is now a 6K dept (£118 x 52)

and they say "oh well you had some money, now you don't - tough luck"

This doesn't seem right!!!!:mad:

It's late now, but i'll look into it tommorow and see what i can dig up.

Good Luck

Chris

This is unacceptable and must be reported.

A refusal of benefit must carry a right of appeal. If they are denying you a chance to apply they are also taking away your right of independent appeal, and it's therefore against the law no matter how sure of themselves they are that their decision is right.

The Revenue do this too with tax credits. They tell people under 25 they can't apply for working tax credit, without checking if an exemption (e.g. people on DLA) applies. People on the end of a phone can't expect to make a snap decision on very complex circumstances and get it right every time.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

Hi my partner too is a student ..i must admit i did stop claimin JSA when he became a student...we do get by on his loan..we live in council property and we do get housing benefit and council tax benefit ...students are exempt from CTB but not HB..you will have to put in a claim for HB and CTB has you are elegible for it..Good luck

Also note that for incapacity benefit (or contribution-based ESA) your partners income is irrelevant.

Our estimates are based on the information you have entered about your income and circumstances. For a summary please see information you provided.

A summary table of the benefits you may be entitled to is below. Please note that some of these results may confirm benefits that you are already receiving. You can use the results to check that you are getting the right amount, though we recommend that you get further advice if you think there is a problem. Our estimates do not guarantee entitlement.

Entitlementper yearper weeknotesMeans-tested income entitlementsIncome Support/JSA£414.53£7.95Income Support/JSA (income-based). Means-tested bill reductionsCouncil Tax Benefit£1,143.66£21.93You will not have to pay Council Tax as you qualify for full Council Tax Benefit. Housing Benefit£4,171.42£80.00 Total Entitlements£5,729.61£109.88 weekly

The results table shows which benefits you may be entitled to. Use the links below to get more information and to find out how to claim.

You may also qualify for:

Above is a cut and paste from www entitledto.com

I recommend trying it as i had to guess at some of the questions, i.e weekly rent i put £80??? it asked how old your partner is, i put same age as you.

I also put in there that your partner earns £6ph for 16 hours and that you HAVE £6136.00 savings (£118 x 52) and it still comes up @ £109.88 pw in benifit entitlement.

Try it with all your info and see what it comes out with

Hope this helps

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

As hard as it seems student loans are income and are taken in as such. However, housing benefit/council tax doesn't work the same way so if you are refused a passport benefit (ie, JSA, where receiving it means you can be entitled to housing/CT) they can still look at your low income to make a decision.