• Tweets

• I left Dubai 8 years ago and intended to return. However a job prospect fell through. I’d been there for 15 years. I decided to pay my credit card and the bank had frozen my account. There is no means to pay the CC so completely unable to pay when I wanted to other than the bank advising me to ask a friend in the UAE to pay it on my behalf!  fast forward bank informs there is a police case against me for non payment. Years later IDR chased me and after months/ years they stopped. Now Judge & Priestley are trying their luck. Now I have received an email in English and Arabic from JP saying the bank has authorised them to collect debts. Is this the same as IDR although I didn’t receive anything like this from them. Just says they are authorised?
    • The neighbour's house is built right on the boundary so the side of their house is effectively the 'wall' in our garden separating the two properties. It's a three storey house and so the mortar poses a potential danger to us. Because of the danger, we have put up an interior fence in our garden to ensure we don't risk mortar dropping on us. That reduces the garden by 25% which is not only an inconvenience, but it's the part of the garden where we had lined up contractors to install a patio and gazebo which we will use for our wedding reception in less than 2 months. We have spoken to the neighbour's caretaker who is on the case, has spoken with a roofer and possibly a scaffolding company, but there are several issues. They don't seem to understand the urgency. As long as there is a risk of falling mortar, we can't carry out any work in the garden, and unless they hurry up, we're looking at cancelling our wedding as it's not viable to book a venue because we can't use our own garden! Also, they want to put the scaffolding up in our garden which would be ok with us if it was a matter of a few days and they hurried up, but there is a tree (most likely protected by the conservation area), so most likely they can only reach part of the roof with the scaffolding if they put it up in our garden. We suggested a roofer with a cherry picker but they seem to want to use a company they've used before. Any and all comments, suggestions, advice is more than welcome.  PS. does it make any difference that the neighbour is a business (ltd) and not a private dwelling?
    • No apology needed, thank you for what you do I am glad to hear they paid. well done on getting back what is yours
    • Apologies all for the late reply and info, i have been away with the Army. They have paid I accepted the offer on the 5th of May, and they paid on the 17th of May.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

MBNA/Restons claimform - old A+L Card **WON+COSTS**

fairbyblue
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5273 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Rob, I dont understand the implied IF,

If they do bother to do what court says i will amend my defence, my staement to the court up to now is in reply to Summary Judgement as was made.

I will be going in with lods of ammo,

Cheers

Hi fb

Perhaps me just looking too closely at Para 2, but it says "In the event of compliance with Para 1 .... etc. ...and;" followed by Para 3.

So if Para 1 is not complied with doesn't this infer that the remainder of Para 2 (allocation to Fast Track) and then Para 3 do not take place?

If so, what does happen? There is no other action mentioned if the claimant fails to comply (such as an "Unless" statement). If they do fail to comply with Para 1, perhaps you will end up having to make an application for an "Unless" order and/or a strike out.

That's just my opinion and others with more knowledge might see things differently.

Cheers

Rob

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi fb

Perhaps me just looking too closely at Para 2, but it says "In the event of compliance with Para 1 .... etc. ...and;" followed by Para 3.

So if Para 1 is not complied with doesn't this infer that the remainder of Para 2 (allocation to Fast Track) and then Para 3 do not take place?

If so, what does happen? There is no other action mentioned if the claimant fails to comply (such as an "Unless" statement). If they do fail to comply with Para 1, perhaps you will end up having to make an application for an "Unless" order and/or a strike out.

That's just my opinion and others with more knowledge might see things differently.

Cheers

Rob

Aha I've got it now. One little word makes all the difference. Lets hope they realise and throw in the towel.

Thanks Rob

FB

• 4 weeks later...

Well the day is dawning as you can see below. its now the 14th April 2009 and nothing from Restons. I checked with the court last thursday and nothing had been sent there. So below is the order and if i dont get the docs or the court dont get the docs as ordered by the judge what do I do next?

generalorder1.jpg

You'll need to wait til the deadline, then contact court in case theyve sent anything there.

Also, they may try to wriggle out of this, because the order says the agreement must be brought to the hearing.

You'll need to see the agreement to make your amended defence, so make sure you highlight this to the court

Well theres nothing at home so i can take it that they have not served it on me by the time ordered from the judge, and the court said theres nothing submitted to them but wait a couple of days to be sure.

So does anyone know what forms i need to get this thrown out?

Hi, take this into the court office tomorrow

In the xxxxxxxxxx County Court

Claim number xxxxxxxxx

Between

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

–V-

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

For the Attention of the Case manager

xxxxxxxxxx County Court

Dear Sir.

Further to the Directions given by District Judge xxxxxxx sitting at the xxxxxxxx County Court on DATE.

I note that the claimant has now failed to serve any documents supporting their case despite being ordered to do so.

The claimant has had every opportunity to file such documentation and the size of the organisation, it is not unreasonable for them to have filed such documentation on time at the first opportunity, they have since been given a second chance to file documents by order of District Judge xxxxxxx and they appear to have ignored the Honourable Judges orders and have failed to comply as directed

The result of this failure is that I am unable to file a fully particularised defence to the claimants claim as without the documentation which the claimant relies upon, I am unable to answer their allegations as set out in their particulars and I am placed at a severe disadvantage, as I am a Litigant in person

Therefore, I would request that the pursuant to CPR part 3.4, 2 © that the claim is struck out without further order

If this is not acceptable, then please refer this letter and the file to District Judge xxxxx to highlight the claimants non-compliance with the directions dated DATE and for further directions to be issued.

Signed……………………………. (Defendant)

Date …………………………….

• Haha 1

Please note i have no legal training any advice i give comes from my own experience and from what i have learned on this site

It probably won't be struck right out yet.

Some courts will put the papers before the judge for an order on the basis of a letter. Others expect an application to be made (and paid for).

You should be able to get an "unless" order (7 days in the last chance saloon) and since any delay on the claimant's part eats into the time you have to respond, you also want your deadline switched from 6 weeks after the date of the original directions to 3 weeks after service of the claimant's documents.

phoned court and got through to 'file registry'. They said they are 'on a short week' 'theres a backlog' 'everyones off for easter'

Basically all the excuses under the sun so i dont know wherther they have filed.

However when i re resad the order it should be served on me and they havent, so i phoned and asked them to put a note on theor system to say i have recieeved nothing and sent this letter in.

For the Attention of the Case Manager

XXXXX

Dear Sir.

Further to the Directions given by District Judge XXXXXXX

sitting at the Liverpool County Court on 12th March 2009.

I note that the claimant has now failed to serve any documents supporting their case despite being ordered to do so.

I first requested this under CPR 31.14 on the 1st December 2008, the Claimants failed to respond.

The claimant has had every opportunity to file such documentation and given the size of the organisation, it is not unreasonable for them to have filed such documentation on time at the first opportunity, they have since been given a second chance to file documents by order of District Judge xxxxxxxxx and they appear to have ignored the Honourable Judges orders and have failed to comply as directed.

I have not received any verified true copies of the documents as stated in the order.

The result of this failure is that I am unable to file a fully particularised defence to the claimants claim as without the documentation which the claimant relies upon, I am unable to answer their allegations as set out in their particulars and I am placed at a severe disadvantage, as I am a Litigant in person

Therefore, I would request that the pursuant to CPR part 3.4, 2 © that the claim is struck out without further order

If this is not acceptable, then please refer this letter and the file to District Judge xxxxxxxxx to highlight the claimants non-compliance with the directions dated 12th March 2009 and for further directions to be issued.

Please note that if a further order is made I would respectfully ask that due to the failure of the claimant to provide the documents on time I therefore would ask that I be allowed additional time to submit a defence.

Signed…………………….............………. (Defendant)

Yes that looks good to me...if it doesn't work, you will have to make a formal application on form N244...don't leave it too long, no more than a week i think.

Please note i have no legal training any advice i give comes from my own experience and from what i have learned on this site

Cheers, do i have to pay for that N244

Afraid so, i think its £75, that's why i thought it worth trying the letter first (its worked for me a couple of times), if you win you can claim it back from the claimant along with all your other costs. ( they are aware of this, so the more applications you make the more money they stand to lose unless they win), giving them all the more encouragement to throw in the towel, to cut their loses, if you see what i mean.

Good luck and hope the judge sees right through them for you

will say a little prayer for you and keep happy laters angel x

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

Phoned the court and spoke to in all seriousness, a member of staff who knew what he was doing. He got the file and read out the Order --

The claimant will serve the documents as stated in order of 17/3/09 within 7 days of the date of this order. If the claimant fails to do so the Claim will be struck out without further order.

The court officer said a few other things and he understood that this order did not extend time for me to submit my particulised defence (original order was 4pm on 5/5/09). He is sending order today so on 1/5/09 he said phone up and they will check if has been recieved.

so all in all a good result and its over to Restons !!!!!

:)

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

If they do serve on 1 May then you will either have to move quickly either to amend your defence (so don't make plans for the bank holiday weekend) or apply for an extension of time within which to serve your amended defence.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

If they do serve on 1 May then you will either have to move quickly either to amend your defence (so don't make plans for the bank holiday weekend) or apply for an extension of time within which to serve your amended defence.

I know i pointed that out but the majority of the defence is done as it was prepared for summary judgement element, i have a few further points to launch at them and i can fax it to the court or even hand deliver it if need be. I aint letting this one go.

:)

Just thinking aloud here and a few views would be appreciated.

In the order dated 17/3/09 see below its says basically in para 1 submit docs by specific time

in para 2 its states - in event of compliance of para1 it be allocated to fast track

in para 3 i can file particulaised defence by 5/5/09

My point is cos they did not do para 1 do I still do para 3 by 5/5/09

generalorder1.jpg