Land of leather Usage charge

chudlt
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5646 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone please advice. I purchased a LOL sofa in Feb 2005 for £899. The leather has started to peel. LOL have offered £200 compensation or a replacement sofa. If I want to replace they are asking for a usage fee from me of £549 for the time I have had the sofa. Can they do this legally? Is the amount reasonable. Thanks for any help.

How did you pay for sofa? Credit card, finance?

Item is not suitable for use or fit for purpose and therefore quote Sale of Goods Act. A sofa should last longer than 3.5 years.

Look up in Forums. Do not offer to pay usage fee. The fact that they are offering you £200 is evidence that item is not fit for use.

Sofa is fit for use, it is however not of satisfactory quality. Which has no relevance to the usage charge, which they are perfectly entitled to apply, allowing for the amount of time OP has had use of the sofa.

I do however think that £549 is ridiculously high for a £899 3.5 yr old sofa. I am in the process of doing the same with a 3 yrs TV, and Grattan has applied a 40% usage fee, which seemed a bit steep.

It all boils down to how long a sofa is expected to last in relation to is price. If I were you, I'd argue that a sofa that expensive should last at least 10 years, and therefore argue that:

£899 / 10 = £89.90

£89.90 x 3.5 (yrs) = £314.65, and therefore I would stand my ground and say that you will only accept a deduction of a minimum of, say £350 to go towards the purchase of a new sofa. ;-)

Let us know how you get on.

Just spoke to LOL and they agreed !!!! that the Usage charge was rather high. Anyway after a friendly polite conversation (important to remember) They have agreed to lower the usage charge to £300. I think this is reasonable for 44 months use. Thanks for all the help.