• Tweets

• Is the letter headed Letter of Claim/before Claim or similar? If not, it sounds like more of the threatogram chain. If you're not sure, post up an anonymised copy of the letter and we'll check. HB
    • So guess what, we have received a final demand letter for £100. It states if payment is not made by 11/06 they will have no option but to forward the case to their litigation dept with a view to commence County Court Proceedings. So just wondering if anyone has any advice. Do we ignore this? or do we need to take action? Thanks 
    • hi dx, thanks for helping just re-reading everything this morning and I must have missed this one from uncle in his thread "What you should not do, is not contact the Banks and simply default on payments. "  are you in disagreement with this based on your last sentence?
    • Thanks for the reply and clarification, that might just explain why in my case contact has pretty much ceased. Though with such companies it doesn't mean they won't ever threaten to return to court as a tool to force one's hand if they feel they are not self informed on their chances etc.  But concerning how last year they tried to use the CCJ to get a charging order and the court granted an intirum order on our mortgage using the CCJ that would have been a good 2-3 months beyond the 6 years, should the court not have checked the age of the CCJ in the first case or would they always grant an interim order simply off the back of a CCJ being produced without even checking the age of it?.  Had I not defended that action at the time they may well have got a default using a CCJ older than 6 years which could be a concern going forwards. At the time when I contacted the court to question the paperwork for a final order application the clerk suggested people don't get informed when companies apply for interim charging orders, they are automatic if a claimant has a CCJ and people only get contacted once a date for a final order application goes through. kind of begs the question if such companies can continue a seemingly backdoor method to attempt default action if un-defended if the initial application doesn't need to check the age of a CCJ?.
    • Hello!  Wondering if someone can help with this.  I suspect not but worth a go.  I appreciate the "contract is with the seller" line, which is what Evri has fed me but wanted to see if someone with experience in these things could suggest anything else I could do here.  I appreciate there are many topics about lost parcels - My parcels weren't lost, until the driver walked up to my door with them and then decided to make them lost/stolen... I'll summarise what has happened.  Wednesday of last week - Evri delivery driver stole / walked off with 3 of my parcels.  -  Arrived outside my properly, took photos (3 separate photos as its 3 separate deliveries) of the tops of the parcels (pointlessly zoomed in on just the labels, couldn't see anything else, other than a small piece of the pavement and a little weed, which doubly confirms it was outside my door as I can see the same plant), marked the order as delivered and walked off with them.  He's marked on the Evri GPS marked that he was outside.   -  3 different deliveries, from the same company (same boxes etc.), but 3 separate tracking numbers. -  Went through the Evri bot which opened a case on each tracking number.  I then phoned them and left a voicemail explaining what had happened. -  24 hours later had a canned response asking me if the packages had turned up and to check around etc..  I responded explaining again what happened and that they've definitely been taken. -  4 days later,  this morning, I get a response telling me to ask the merchant to refund me. I've responded to this message with a long email, repeating what I said, that I believe the driver has stolen these packages and that he took those suspicious top down shots of the packages, marked them as delivered without ringing or knocking etc.  I've said that I expect them to investigate further, but I gather they won't. In my several messages to them initially and later, I told them I don't care about a refund and wanted the parcels.  They contain some sentimental stuff, nothing of high monetary value, hence me going to this trouble.  I only paid £25 for the contents. I did contact the merchant when this first happened and they asked me to wait a few days.  They ended up refunding me despite me asking them not to and that I wanted them to escalate it with Evri because this appears to be a case of theft.  They didn't seem bothered - Refunded me and told me to go back to Evri and escalate it with them? So - Is there any way to compel Evri to conduct a proper investigation with this driver?  Search for my parcels? I have quite a lot of deliveries handled by Evri (not out of choice) - They used to have a fantastic chap and I rarely had any issues.  He has been replaced by a new guy and I believe the route is handled by this same guy who I believe has taken my packages.  Naturally, I fear this is going to happen again in the future if no investigation occurs. Appreciate any assistance - Thanks for reading. Al.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

court papers and filing a defence - help please

Perdita
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5205 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Always wait for the Claimant to lead you,you may find it useful to see their list first and then amend /tailor your own to counter theirs.

What date was given for inspection/request each others disclosure BTW?not the exchange date

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Disclosure lists to be served by 4pm on monday 22nd june

any request for copy or inspection of any document shall be complied with by 4pm Monday 29th June

Witness statements to be served on each other by monday 20th july

P

Ok Perdita that fine.Wait until Monday if nothing recieved send yours to the Court by say Wednesday and hold theirs until you recieved theirs.Inform the Court if nothing recieved.

We can tackle the WS later down the line.

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Sorry to sound stupid but i thought the list had to go to SCM and not the court or is that a tactic when they dont disclose?

P

;) Exactly Perdita

Their disclosure list was received today so i got mine in the post so as not to miss the deadline. Nothing surprising in the list but the have refused to let me inspect any documents as is their privelege!!

P

Hi Perdita

They did leave it late didnt they, what exactly have they listed that they will not allow inspection of?

Ok for the record

CLAIMS TO WITHHOLD DISCLOSURE OR INSPECTION OF A DOCUMENT

A claim to withhold inspection of a document, or part of a document, disclosed in a list of documents does not require an application to the court. Where such a claim has been made, a party who wishes to challenge it must apply to the court (see rule 31.19(5)).

Rule 31.19(1) and (6) provide a procedure enabling a party to apply for an order permitting disclosure of the existence of a document to be withheld.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy

Ive scanned the last page so you can see for yourself - im not quite sure what to do

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt133/maverick97/TSBdisclosurelist.jpg

Many thanks

P

PS if you have the time could i ask you to cast a quick glance at my defence in my thread "Me v Restons" as I need to get it off today but i havent had any joy from any caggers as yet

Thanks

Ok P

Thats standard the ones they object to you inspecting so I wouldnt worry about that.What I will bring to your attention is the third section which quotes the docs they no longer have ,namely a valid CCA. They have been lost/Destroyed or misplaced and cannot now be traced:D

Going to be an uphill struggle then me thinks.

Regards

Andy:rolleyes:;)

Ps will take a look at your defence shortly you inputting this via MCOL?

• 3 weeks later...

Right now Ive got to prepare the witness statement for this one - can anyone advise the format, what needs to be in it etc as i dont have much clue - sorry :confused:

Its got to be done by 20th july

Many thanks

P

Hi Perdita

Heres a thread that I have just advised on content and layout.It will give you an idea of what is required;)

Tonka99 V...

Regards

Andy

Thanks Andy , i will have a look, Im getting a bit nervous now and i really dont know what im doing so am trying not to do anything to damage the case especially as it is the same DJ that Nottsdave had inhis capquest thread

P

Thanks Andy , i will have a look, Im getting a bit nervous now and i really dont know what im doing so am trying not to do anything to damage the case especially as it is the same DJ that Nottsdave had inhis capquest thread

P

:eek: oh dear lets hope he judges every case on its own merits then Perdita.

Regards

Andy

Hi everyone,

Right below is my first draft of my WS. I have looked at the ones pointed to on here and also used Patricia Pearls book for guidance. Bearing in mind that it looks like I have the sdame DJ as Nottsdave and he basically told him to go away and come back with legal representation I am trying to keep it as simple and in laymans terms. I think the basic issues are the validity of the agreement, the fact that what they have sent is illegible, they state in their disclosure that the original has been destroyed and the absence of a default notice ( i genuinely dont remember seeing one but i was going through a bad time at the time they allege it was sent)

Hope someone can look at the WS and advise what else needs to be in there and also when i refer to a letter should i give it an exhibit number or use the letter it was allocated in the disclosure list??

Thanks

P

Witness Statement

1 This statement is made in opposition to the Claimant’s application for summary judgment and by which the Claimant contends I have no real prospect of successfully defending the claim against me.

2 I do not deny that a contract once existed between me and the claimant. I deny the contract endures since on a day prior to the commencement of this case against me, the Defendant terminated the contract.

3.. On 25th August 2008 I requested a copy of the credit agreement from the claimant – I had no response to this request and I sent another letter on 6th October 2008 advising that the account was in dispute.

On the 22nd October 2008 I received a letter from the claimant’s solicitor requesting full payment of the alleged balance within 7 days. I replied on the 23rd October 2008 by letter advising that the account was in dispute with the claimant and enclosed a copy of a letter from the claimant advising they were investigating.

On the 7th November 2008 I received a small blurred and therefore illegible copy of the alleged agreement. As the document reproduction was so poor I was unable to verify if the agreement conformed to the regulations and contained the necessary prescribed terms and conditions.

On the 15th November 2008 I received the county court claim form dated 14th November 2008. The particulars of claim state that a default notice was issued.

4. I deny that I have ever received an effective default notice from the Claimant prior to the contract being terminated.

5. At trial I shall contend that under Section 87 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (The Act) the creditor must deliver a default notice which complies with all of the requirement of Section 88 of the Act and of the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 before the Claimant will become entitled to terminate the agreement and make any demand for early payment. It is my case that no default notice which complied in the respects referred to was ever delivered to me by the Claimant.

The claimant has already admitted in a letter dated 4th June 2009 that they are unable to produce a copy of the default notice.

I put the claimant to strict proof that a default notice was issued, the method of service and proof of postage.

Moreover I put the Claimant to strict proof that any Default Notice sent to me was valid and allowed the statutory 14 clear days to rectify the breach. I also note that to be valid, a Default Notice needs to be accurate in terms of both the scope and nature of breach and include an accurate figure required to remedy any such breach. The prescribed format for such document is laid down in Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) and Amendment regulations the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI 2004/3237).

6. On 18th November 2009 in response to the county court claim papers received I sent a request under CPR 31.14 to the claimant for a valid copy of the agreement, the default notice and a full set of statements. This request was not responded to.

On 28th May 2009 I sent a letter to the claimant’s solicitor giving 7 days to comply with CPR 31.14 and received the same small, illegible copy of the alleged agreement and a few statements dating back to July 2007 and not the full set from the start of the agreement. As the total claimed contains unlawful penalty charges the full set of statements is required in order for me to ascertain the proportion of the penalty charges in the claim. The court will be aware that these charge types and the recoverability thereof have been judicially declared to be susceptible to assessments of fairness under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 [The Office of Fair Trading v Abbey National PLC and others (2009). I will contend at trial that such charges are unfair in their entirety.

7. . The claimants disclosure list states that the original signed copy of the agreement no longer exists

8. In the circumstances the court is invited to conclude that there are reasonable grounds to suppose that I will be able to successfully defend the Claimant’s claim at trial and that the Claimant’s application for summary judgment against me should be dismissed.

Date: xx July 2009

Statement of Truth

I believe the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true

Signiture

Hi everyone,

Right below is my first draft of my WS. I have looked at the ones pointed to on here and also used Patricia Pearls book for guidance. Bearing in mind that it looks like I have the sdame DJ as Nottsdave and he basically told him to go away and come back with legal representation I am trying to keep it as simple and in laymans terms. I think the basic issues are the validity of the agreement, the fact that what they have sent is illegible, they state in their disclosure that the original has been destroyed and the absence of a default notice ( i genuinely dont remember seeing one but i was going through a bad time at the time they allege it was sent)

Hope someone can look at the WS and advise what else needs to be in there and also when i refer to a letter should i give it an exhibit number or use the letter it was allocated in the disclosure list?? Yes mark as appendix A 1,2 etc

Thanks

P

Witness Statement

1 This statement is made in opposition to the Claimant’s application for summary judgment and by which the Claimant contends I have no real prospect of successfully defending the claim against me.

2 I do not deny that a contract once existed between me and the claimant. I deny the contract endures since on a day prior to the commencement of this case against me, the Defendant terminated the contract.

3.. On 25th August 2008 I requested a copy of the credit agreement from the claimant – I had no response to this request and I sent another letter on 6th October 2008 advising that the account was in dispute.

On the 22nd October 2008 I received a letter from the claimant’s solicitor requesting full payment of the alleged balance within 7 days. I replied on the 23rd October 2008 by letter advising that the account was in dispute with the claimant and enclosed a copy of a letter from the claimant advising they were investigating.

On the 7th November 2008 I received a small blurred and therefore illegible copy of the alleged agreement. As the document reproduction was so poor I was unable to verify if the agreement conformed to the regulations and contained the necessary prescribed terms and conditions.

On the 15th November 2008 I received the county court claim form dated 14th November 2008. The particulars of claim state that a default notice was issued.

4. I deny that I have ever received an effective default notice from the Claimant prior to the contract being terminated.

5. At trial I shall contend that under Section 87 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (The Act) the creditor must deliver a default notice which complies with all of the requirement of Section 88 of the Act and of the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 before the Claimant will become entitled to terminate the agreement and make any demand for early payment. It is my case that no default notice which complied in the respects referred to was ever delivered to me by the Claimant.

The claimant has already admitted in a letter dated 4th June 2009 that they are unable to produce a copy of the default notice.

I put the claimant to strict proof that a default notice was issued, the method of service and proof of postage.

Moreover I put the Claimant to strict proof that any Default Notice sent to me was valid and allowed the statutory 14 clear days to rectify the breach. I also note that to be valid, a Default Notice needs to be accurate in terms of both the scope and nature of breach and include an accurate figure required to remedy any such breach. The prescribed format for such document is laid down in Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) and Amendment regulations the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI 2004/3237).

6. On 18th November 2009 in response to the county court claim papers received I sent a request under CPR 31.14 to the claimant for a valid copy of the agreement, the default notice and a full set of statements. This request was not responded to.

On 28th May 2009 I sent a letter to the claimant’s solicitor giving 7 days to comply with CPR 31.14 and received the same small, illegible copy of the alleged agreement and a few statements dating back to July 2007 and not the full set from the start of the agreement. As the total claimed contains unlawful penalty charges the full set of statements is required in order for me to ascertain the proportion of the penalty charges in the claim. The court will be aware that these charge types and the recoverability thereof have been judicially declared to be susceptible to assessments of fairness under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 [The Office of Fair Trading v Abbey National PLC and others (2009). I will contend at trial that such charges are unfair in their entirety.

7. . The claimants disclosure list states that the original signed copy of the agreement no longer exists

8. In the circumstances the court is invited to conclude that there are reasonable grounds to suppose that I will be able to successfully defend the Claimant’s claim at trial and that the Claimant’s application for summary judgment against me should be dismissed.

Date: xx July 2009

Statement of Truth

I believe the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true

Signiture

Exceleent Perd couldnt have done better myself:D

Regards

Andy

Only on the contents of your WS you are not expected to know the CCA and case studies inside out being LiP,but as you have refered to them you need to have this information available if you are cross examined.

We are jumping the gun a tad here Perd lets see what the Claimants response is to your WS first and if in fact it does proceed to trial.

Regards

Andy

Also I have to compile a pre trial checklist and send to the court by 30th july - the hearing is set to go ahead between 14th sept and 2nd october.

The diredtions state that :

the parties shall exchange skeleton arguments at least 3 working days before the hearing

Not more than 7 nor less than 3 clear working days before the trial the claimant shall file at court an indexed and pagianted bundle of documents which complies with rule 39.5 of CPR and the practice directions thereto and shall serve a copy on the defendant. The parties shall endeavour to agree the contents of the bundle before it is filed. The bundle shall include

a a case summary of not more than 250 words

b. a chronology

c. a statement of the issues to be decided by the court

d. a skeleton argument of all parties

Im a bit confused as to the timings given - if i have to exchange a skeleton argument at least 3 days before hearing and they have to file a bundle between 7 and 3 days before hearing in which that argument is in how is it o going to work ??

P:confused:

Not a problem Perdita

One step at a time dont think too far ahead

We can do the pre trial checklist first then I will go through the rest nearer the time

Andy

Edited by Andyorch

Hi perdita

Just google CCA1974 and amendments and also CPR.Print a set off to put in your file.

Familiarise yourself with the points you have raised in your WS,by hilighting the sections i have mentioned in your WS.

Regards

Andy