Welcome Finance and dodgy AOE

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5295 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thank you for the time and effort you have put in here, it is most appreciated. Just out of interest, are you trained in Law?

On the last paragraph I assume you mean to write "claimant" rather than "defandant" x 2 ?

Thanks again

Nick

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the time and effort you have put in here, it is most appreciated. Just out of interest, are you trained in Law?

No problemo. Always happy to help where I can.

Yes and No. I have experience.

On the last paragraph I assume you mean to write "claimant" rather than "defandant" x 2 ?

Yup. Sorry, my mistake.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:!: All the information I impart is my advice based on my experience. It does not constitute professional advice. If in doubt, always consult with a professional. :!:

:-) If you feel my post has been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

Still no S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) returned from Welcome. 40 days is up on Monday. What would I do next if nothing comes by then?

In my opinion, leave it and mention it in the hearing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:!: All the information I impart is my advice based on my experience. It does not constitute professional advice. If in doubt, always consult with a professional. :!:

• 1 month later...

Had court hearing on 23rd. Didn't go too well...

Submitted letter to Judge upon checking in at the court, he dismissed it straight away saying it had no relevance to the hearing which was to hear my objections to the AOE. I gave a detailed breakdown of my expenses, which showed I could not sustain the 50 quid a week payment, and he completely rejected it saying my expenses were too high!!!! He believed £135 per week onrent for a 2 bed property was "high" (how out of touch is this guy??? £550 a month is not high!!)

I need to make application to set aside which I intend to do next week. Any help on what to fill in on the N244 would be appreciated, although to honest I think i have it sussed.

Oh one final thing, I don't feel too happy that the Claimants Solicitors Agent took away my letter, as that means they have time to think of something to wriggle out of any argumements I may have at any future hearing. That said, still no return on the S.A.R.

Thanks for all help so far :-)

N

how long till the 40 days are up

ime not surprised welcome are holding back on your sar

once we have that

LET THE BATTLE COMMENCE

that is getting the ccj and aoe set asside

chin up

its a lottery on the judge on the day

battle lost so far but not the war

Had court hearing on 23rd. Didn't go too well...

Submitted letter to Judge upon checking in at the court, he dismissed it straight away saying it had no relevance to the hearing which was to hear my objections to the AOE. I gave a detailed breakdown of my expenses, which showed I could not sustain the 50 quid a week payment, and he completely rejected it saying my expenses were too high!!!! He believed £135 per week onrent for a 2 bed property was "high" (how out of touch is this guy??? £550 a month is not high!!)

I need to make application to set aside which I intend to do next week. Any help on what to fill in on the N244 would be appreciated, although to honest I think i have it sussed.

Oh one final thing, I don't feel too happy that the Claimants Solicitors Agent took away my letter, as that means they have time to think of something to wriggle out of any argumements I may have at any future hearing. That said, still no return on the S.A.R.

Thanks for all help so far :-)

N

Sorry to hear you were unlucky.

The judge was wrong. The letter was relevant, as if an AoE has been obtained on the basis of a Judgment that shouldn't have been obtained he should have at least frozen the AoE to allow you to make an Application to Set Aside Judgment without having the AoE hanging over your head. The letter showed that the Judgment is invalid.

As postggj says the battle isn't over. You should still make an Application to Set Aside Judgment on the N244. I don't have the time at the moment to prepare one for you but if you post what you want to write in each box in a post here, I'll happilly proof it for you. Hopefully you'll get a more thoughtful & sympathetic judge in that hearing.

how long till the 40 days are up

postggj: If you look in the OP's previous post you'll see the 40 days are up already.

with your agreement legalpickle

its time to get tough with welcome

send this and do what the letter states if they dont comply

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Section 7 – Data Protection Act 1998

Dear Sir/Madam

Account: xxxxxxxx

You have failed to comply with my Data Protection Act Subject Access Request dated (Insert Date).

If you do not comply within the next 7 days I shall seek a Court order obliging you to do so together with damages at the discretion of the Court and without any further notice.

Yours faithfully

[name]

with your agreement legalpickle

its time to get tough with welcome

I agree it's time to get tough with them, but why should the OP send them another letter? Hasn't he done what's necessary with the original SAR? I think he has.

Also, I'm of the thought that sending another letter is a waste of time, and instead the OP should make an Application to Set Aside Judgment and in the process of that Application ask that the court order the Claimant - i.e. Welcome - to serve all relevant documents on the Defendant - i.e. OP - within 7 days of the court hearing. Why bother with another letter?

send this and do what the letter states if they dont comply

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Section 7 – Data Protection Act 1998

Dear Sir/Madam

Account: xxxxxxxx

You have failed to comply with my Data Protection Act Subject Access Request dated (Insert Date).

If you do not comply within the next 7 days I shall seek a Court order obliging you to do so together with damages at the discretion of the Court and without any further notice.

Yours faithfully

[name]

the reason ime asking is even though i won with welcome, the judge said in his own words that i should have given them more rope to hang them selves

it looks better in court, seven days is not that long

i bow to your judgement on this as you have been helping from the start

the reason ime asking is even though i won with welcome, the judge said in his own words that i should have given them more rope to hang them selves

it looks better in court, seven days is not that long

i bow to your judgement on this as you have been helping from the start

It's a hard one. I would say that the Application should be made on 2nd January - if the OP can do it then - and if the OP wants to send the letter - it should be sent by special delivery tomorrow. The Application should include a demand for that information to be provided.

Due to the New Year and the chance that most staff in Compliance departments will be off, so they will have a skeleton staff in work the odds are that they won't fulfill the demand, if it is sent.

ok thanks for your input guys...

I am sending the N244 in tomorrow, and need a little help!

point 3 on the form - I am obviously asking to make an order to set aside the judgement. Do I ask for the AOE to be suspended?

Point 4 - "Have you attached a draft of the order you are applying for" I presume I just leave this blank?

Point 10 - I will attach my defence as was in the letter I took to court previously. I will just amend to make it suitable for purpose.

I will also submit a cover letter explaining why I have not made this application "promptly" ( as is the requirment ) stating that I have been waiting for a return on the S.A.R. in order to make my case. I will attach copies of the S.A.R. and ask that all requested information is forwarded to me.

On the plus side, I am taking a big hit with my wages at the end of this month and subsequently my pay will drop below the protected rate so there will be no more payments under the AOE order.

ok thanks for your input guys...

No problemo.

I am sending the N244 in tomorrow, and need a little help!

Will try to help. Good Luck.

point 3 on the form - I am obviously asking to make an order to set aside the judgement. Do I ask for the AOE to be suspended?

Yes. Fill in as follows;

a) To suspend the Attachment of Earnings in place against the Applicant till the conclusion of a review of the case.

b) To set aside the Judgment against the Applicant.

Point 4 - "Have you attached a draft of the order you are applying for" I presume I just leave this blank?

No. Select Yes, and I'll help you with a draft order at the end of this post.

Point 10 - I will attach my defence as was in the letter I took to court previously. I will just amend to make it suitable for purpose.

I will also submit a cover letter explaining why I have not made this application "promptly" ( as is the requirment ) stating that I have been waiting for a return on the S.A.R. in order to make my case. I will attach copies of the S.A.R. and ask that all requested information is forwarded to me.

Nope. Include the details in the cover letter inside the Application. Write it all in a separate document, and on page 2, tick the box 'the evidence set out in the box below'. In the box write 'Please see the attached document setting out the reasons for the Application.'

Then write everything in numbered paragraphs, including at the end the reasons for the delay in making the Application. Each section should have a header. Copy it all here - minus confidential information - for us to proof for you.

At the end of the attached document you also need a Statement of Truth [irrelevant of the fact that there are already two on the Application form - that both need filling in], which should stated as follows;

The Applicant [Defendant] believes that all the facts stated in this document are true:

Signed: ______________________ Date: 6th January 2009

You will need to send it with the £75 fee to the Court office.

On the plus side, I am taking a big hit with my wages at the end of this month and subsequently my pay will drop below the protected rate so there will be no more payments under the AOE order.

There's a good way to look at everything, I guess.

Now on to the draft order;

IN THE ... COUNTY COURT

CLAIM NO.: ....

BETWEEN:

WELCOME....

CLAIMANT / RESPONDENT

-AND-

RANDOMNICK

DEFENDANT / APPLICANT

---------------------------------------------------------------------

APPLICANT'S PROPOSED DRAFT ORDER

Before DISTRICT JUDGE ...* sitting at ... County Court, ...., it is ordered that;

(* Leave the ... with the * blank and fill in the other gaps - also below).

1. The Attachment of Earnings against the Applicant is suspended with immediate effect.

2. The Judgment against the Applicant is Set Aside with immediate effect.

3. The Applicant is awarded costs in making this Application summarily assessed at £...:...* to be paid by the Respondent within 14 days.

4. It is noted that the Respondent has not abided by the rules of the Data Protection Act in not disclosing the information requested by the Applicant with a Subject Access Request. On this basis their claim is hereby dismissed and they are refused the right to reissue this claim.

Thanks for the help again. ok here is what I have...

Evidence in Support Of Application for Case Number xxxxxx

1. When I entered into arrears on the Hire Purchase Agreement due to financial difficulties, I spoke to the finance company - Welcome Finance - to see if they could assist me in my difficult situation. Initially they were very unaccommodating, insisting at times that if payment was not personally made at the Norwich office by close of business that day, they would visit my home to collect the vehicle to which the finance relates. Although I believed this to be outside of the provisions made under the agreement, I felt very intimidated and had to forgo priority payments to meet their demands, which only worsened my financial situation. Later on another answer of Welcome Finance was to provide me with a second loan to run alongside the Hire Purchase Agreement to clear the arrears. I feel that this was negligent, irresponsible and possibly unlawful.

2. In September 2005, the vehicle was repossessed by Welcome Finance. Those who repossessed the vehicle provided me with no paperwork whatsoever. The only way I know it was them was due to their ID.

3. On 15th October 2008 I sent a written Subject Access Request, otherwise known as a Data Protection Disclosure Demand to Welcome Finance, so that I could find out all information relating to me that is on their files. This was confirmed received on 16th October 2008 and the cheque payment for the Subject Access Request cleared my account on 30th October 2008. As of today I have yet to receive the response.

4. No settlement figure was ever agreed between myself & Welcome Finance. Neither was I ever informed of the sale price of the vehicle, or provided with any evidence of the sale price.

5. I received absolutely no communication from Welcome Finance whilst I was residing at the address I originally dealt with them from. I moved from this address 8 months later. I did not give them my new address, as I logically assumed that after 8 months since the repossession, with no communication whatsoever, the matter was closed.

6. Interestingly enough, the year after I moved from the original address I dealt with Welcome Finance from, I received a forwarded letter from Welcome Finance offering me a loan dated March 2006! This was the only correspondence I received from Welcome in over 3 years. I still have this and have brought a copy to the Court today.

7. From calling the Court Office, I have been made aware that the proceedings that resulted in the Attachment of Earnings for which we are in this Court today, were issued in April 2008 and that the claim was allegedly sent to the original address where the agreement was with Welcome Finance. It is worth noting that I did write on the agreement with Welcome Finance the details of my place of work and contact number at work. I have been in the same job for the past 12 years, so it would have been easy for Welcome Finance to reach me.

8. I have also been made aware from the Court Office that some papers were served at another address - an address I have never resided at or had any connection to - in August 2008. I consider this a material breach of the Data Protection Act.

9. It has also been advised to me by the Court Office that when I did not respond to the Statement of Means - which I never received - they sent the Court Bailiff to enforce this. No contact or communication of any sort was made to me by the Court Bailiff.

10. The first piece of communication that I received on this matter was a N60 - Order for Attachment of Earnings - set at an amount that I cannot afford. I was told by the Court Office that the Statement of Means & Bailiff were allegedly sent to my present address, but for some reason, I did not receive the Statement of Means or any communication from the Bailiff.

11. In conclusion, I contend that the Claimant:

a) Did not serve the claim form on me at my correct address.

b) Has not provided evidence that I owe the debt they allege that I owe.

c) Delayed dealing with the issue for an unreasonable length of time.

d) Terminated the agreement by repossessing the vehicle from me.

*****NOT SURE IF I NEED THE PART BELOW....??

I therefore respectfully request from the Court to:

a) Suspend the Attachment of Earnings order immediately.

b) Order that the County Court Judgment against me be erased from the Register of Judgments held by Registry Trust Limited immediately.

c) Order that the costs the Claimant has incurred in trying to enforce the debt be the sole responsibility of the Claimant, due to their obvious abuse of procedural rules.

d) Order that the Claimant supply to me copies of the Hire Purchase Agreement entered into, evidence of the sale of the vehicle and the price it was sold and all other relevant documents as well as - if they intend to pursue this court claim - a Letter Before Legal Action detailing the reasons and the basis of their intended claim within 28 days OR Confirmation that they discontinue this Claim and that they agree that I have no liabilities to them within 28 days.

e) If the Claimant wishes to pursue their claim, order that the Claimant re-issue their Particulars of Claim - which I have not received - with all relevant information to my correct address more than 21 days after the supply of the documents detailed in (e) above, and no later than 28 days from that date.

f) If the claim is to proceed, then it will proceed pursuant to the usual court procedure, allowing me 28 days from the date of receipt of the claim to file a defence.

g) If the Claimant does not provide me with the documents detailed in (d) above the Claimant is refused the right to issue any similar claim against myself in the future relating to this matter and the matter will be deemed closed, and all monies paid by

myself under the existing Attachment of Earnings Order be refunded.

The Applicant [Defendant] believes that all the facts stated in this document are true:

THEN THE DRAFT ORDER....

IN THE NORWICH COUNTY COURT

CLAIM NO.: XXXXXXXXXX

BETWEEN:

WELCOME FINANIAL LIMITED

CLAIMANT / RESPONDENT

-AND-

MR XXXXXXXX

DEFENDANT / APPLICANT

Before DISTRICT JUDGE ……………… sitting at Norwich Combined Court, The Law Courts, Bishopgate, Norwich.

It is ordered that;

1. The Attachment of Earnings against the Applicant is suspended with immediate effect.

3. The Applicant is awarded costs in making this Application summarily assessed at £...:...* to be paid by the Respondent within 14 days.

4. It is noted that the Respondent has not abided by the rules of the Data Protection Act in not disclosing the information requested by the Applicant with a Subject Access Request. On this basis their claim is hereby dismissed and they are refused the right to reissue this claim.

WHAT ABOUT POINT 3? How much do i put in here. Just the amount paid under the AOE ??

Thanks for the help again. ok here is what I have...

I've amended it for you below, including your amendment in your last post.

Evidence in Support Of Defendant's Application for Claim No.: xxxxxx

1. When I entered into arrears on the Hire Purchase Agreement with the Claimant due to financial difficulties, I spoke to the finance company [Defendant / Respondent] - Welcome Finance - to see if they could assist me in my difficult situation. Initially they were very unaccommodating, insisting at times that if payment did not reach their Norwich office by close of business that day, they would visit my home to collect the vehicle to which the finance relates. Although I believed this to be outside of the provisions made under the agreement, I felt very intimidated and had to forgo priority payments to meet their demands, which only worsened my financial situation. Later on another answer of Respondent was to provide me with a second loan to run alongside the Hire Purchase Agreement to clear the arrears. I feel that this was negligent, irresponsible and possibly unlawful.

2. In September 2005, the vehicle was repossessed by the Respondent. Those who repossessed the vehicle provided me with no paperwork whatsoever. The only way I knew it was them was due to their ID.

3. On 15th October 2008 I sent a written Subject Access Request, otherwise known as a Data Protection Disclosure Demand to the Respondent, so that I could find out all information relating to me that is on their files. This was confirmed received on 16th October 2008 and the cheque payment for the Subject Access Request cleared my account on 30th October 2008. As of today I have yet to receive the response, despite the fact that the 40 day deadline passed on 25th November 2008.

4. No settlement figure was ever agreed between myself & the Respondent. Neither was I ever informed of the sale price of the vehicle, or provided with any evidence of the sale price.

5. I received absolutely no communication from the Respondent whilst I was residing at the address I originally dealt with them from. I moved from this address 8 months after the repossession. I did not give them my new address, as I logically assumed that after 8 months since the repossession, with no communication whatsoever, the matter was closed.

6. The year after I moved from the original address I dealt with Respondent from, I received a forwarded letter from Respondent offering me a loan dated March 2006. This was the only correspondence I received from Respondent in over 3 years. I still have this letter and attach a copy to this Application. I will bring the original to the Court hearing.

7. From calling the Court Office, prior to the hearing regarding the Attachment of Earnings, I found that the proceedings that resulted in that Attachment of Earnings were issued in April 2008 and that the claim was allegedly sent to the original address where the agreement was with the Respondent. It is worth noting that I did write on the agreement with the Respondent, the details of my place of work and contact number at work. I have been in the same job for the past 12 years, so it would have been easy for the Respondent to reach me to discuss the matter prior to issuing the claim, as is encouraged by the Courts.

8. I have also been made aware from the Court Office that some papers were served at another address - an address I have never resided at or had any connection to - in August 2008 - definitely a material breach of the Data Protection Act and negligent behaviour by the Respondent.

9. It has also been advised to me by the Court Office that when I did not respond to the Statement of Means - which I never received - they sent the Court Bailiff to enforce this. No contact or communication of any sort was made to me by the Court Bailiff.

10. The first piece of communication that I received on this matter was a N60 - Order for Attachment of Earnings - set at an amount that I could not afford. I was told by the Court Office that the Statement of Means & Bailiff were allegedly sent to my present address, but for some reason, I did not receive the Statement of Means or any communication from the Bailiff.

11. In conclusion, I contend that the Respondent:

a) Did not serve the claim form on me at my correct address and did not make sufficient effort to contact me prior to issuing the proceedings.

b) Has not provided evidence that I owe the debt they allege that I owe.

c) Delayed dealing with the issue for an unreasonable length of time.

d) Terminated the agreement by repossessing the vehicle from me.

I have waited in order to give the Respondent extra time to comply with the Subject Access Request, and to resolve this matter mitigating my losses. It has however become obvious that the Respondent has no intention to abide by the Law and comply with the Subject Access Request and provide me with the information I am entitled to. I have therefore been left with no choice but to make this Application.

Due to the Respondent's material breach of the Data Protection Act and the Civil Procedure Rules, I respectfully request from the Court to grant my Application in full awarding me costs of this Application and a full refund of the monies taken by an Attachment of Earnings plus Statutory Interest from the dates that they have been debited from my wages. Such a statement will be served and filed at least 48 hours prior to the hearing together with a Schedule of Costs.

Statement of Truth:

THEN THE DRAFT ORDER....

IN THE NORWICH COUNTY COURT

CLAIM NO.: XXXXXXXXXX

BETWEEN:

WELCOME FINANCIAL LIMITED

CLAIMANT / RESPONDENT

-AND-

MR XXXXXXXX

DEFENDANT / APPLICANT

Before DISTRICT JUDGE ……………… sitting at Norwich County Court, Norwich Combined Court, The Law Courts, Bishopgate, Norwich.

It is ordered that;

3. The Applicant is awarded costs in making this Application summarily assessed at £...:... to be paid by the Respondent within 14 days.

5. On the basis that the Respondent has failed to abide by its obligations under the Data Protection Act, the Applicant's claim for a refund of all amounts paid to the Respondent under the Attachment of Earnings shall succeed. The Respondent is ordered to pay the Applicant the sum of £...:... within 14 days which comprises of the sum £...:... paid to the Respondent through the Attachment of Earnings and the sum of £....:... in interest at the statutory rate of 8% per annum since the dates of payment to the Respondent.

WHAT ABOUT POINT 3? How much do i put in here. Just the amount paid under the AOE ??

In my post I put a * next to this deliberately. Leave this blank. Costs will start at the £75 for the Application and then costs for your time, for which you'll serve a costs schedule that we'll prepare.

This is irrelevant to what they've taken from the AoE. That is a separate issue. You leave this space blank for now, and the court will decide on the amount of costs you are entitled to.

Because of this point, I've added another point which is where your claiming the amounts paid under the AoE to date. You also need to amend the points in box 3 and add another point;

c) That the Respondent refund to the Applicant the sums paid in the Attachment of Earnings against the Applicant.

As with regards to point 5 that I have added in the draft order, don't fill in a sum there either. The sum will have to be the total plus 8% interest per annum from the dates of payment, that you'll have to work out prior to the hearing.

I had quite a bit of amending to do because all you did was copy and paste my statements for you for the AoE hearing, but this Application is not yet a hearing and there is a big difference between the two. Had you written the same exactly then it would not have made sense and you would likely fail in the Application. I suggest that in future you read through the whole set of statements before posting them here, to save us work, because that could put off somebody from spending so much time helping.

Thanks again. I take your comments on board and will try to be more helpful, but I'm sure you will appreciate that this is all new and slightly daunting too, so apologies if I am making it hard work at times.

Just a question about the 8% interest. Is this standard practice?

Thanks again. I take your comments on board and will try to be more helpful, but I'm sure you will appreciate that this is all new and slightly daunting too, so apologies if I am making it hard work at times.

I understand that, hence the help. I should explain however that people are not here to do ALL the work for you but to help and assist where possible. Proofreading and slight amendments are what should be expected, but in copying my original text, to anybody who would read it in your application it just wouldn't make sense.

Just a question about the 8% interest. Is this standard practice?

Yes. Statutory interest - 8% per annum - is what people claim on debts and money paid when making a court claim.

Got letter back from courts this morning, a hearing is set for 23 January. Here we go!!

Apart from the costs, is there anything else I need to do to prepare for this? I think everything is covered...

Just not sure what you can include when claiming costs. ??

Got letter back from courts this morning, a hearing is set for 23 January. Here we go!!

Apart from the costs, is there anything else I need to do to prepare for this? I think everything is covered...

Just not sure what you can include when claiming costs. ??

That was quick!

There are two things you need to prepare:

1. A spreadsheet with a breakdown of the amounts paid to Welcome to date, dates they were deducted from your wages, and 8% per annum interest till the date of the hearing.

2. Costs Schedule, which I will help you with - if you remind me - tomorrow evening.

Brilliant legalpickle, I will try and remember tomorrow! I'm dealing with redundancies at work too (as Union Rep) so my head is spinning of late! I thought I would have more time but the quicker the better I guess. Hopefully Welcome will have no info such as original agreements etc.

The amounts paid so far is easy to calculate, I will also get a print out from the wages dept at work to verify this.

And Postggj - I very much hope to be in that club soon! I really did'nt realise this was happenin on such a large scale!

Just wondering, obviously Welcome would be expected to submit any info, such as agreement and sale price of the car etc, in advance of the hearing next week.

But what about the original papers that were served for the Judgement, and any evidence thay had in order to obtain the judgement? The court did not want me to have this from them. would be nice to see them!